Labadee: No tip, no chairs

Between the overpriced attractions, the beach so rocky that people advise wearing water shoes and the beggars, I don't see the appeal. We have beaches on Lake Erie that sound nicer than this.

You're clearly extracting tidbits of information which are some of the low-lights of certain areas on Labadee. Sounds like you haven't visited there?

Labadee is by far our favourite stop. The beaches at Nelles (nice, but crowded), and Columbus Cove are very nice and sandy and have plenty of palm/shade trees on the beach, and loungers everywhere.

I've been to the beaches on both the north and south shores of Erie (and several other Great Lakes), and although they can be "ok", they can't even be compared to the Caribbean - it's a different animal.

Twice. Most recently last month (love that you don't have to tender anymore......first time was in 2005). I move my own chairs even though the guy is saying he will get them. I know what they are expecting and I'm not paying it so I do my own work.

I agree, one does not have to have a conversation. But why not have one unless you feel you are doing something underhanded? What's wrong with being upfront with your plans unless one has something to feel a bit ashamed about. And then those that feign "I forgot my wallet" I call total BS on that.

My wallet stays in the safe. I only bring my Seapass with me on Labadee.

Certain beaches are rocky. Columbus Cove is nice smooth sand both in and out of the water.

You're clearly extracting tidbits of information which are some of the low-lights of certain areas on Labadee. Sounds like you haven't visited there?

Labadee is by far our favourite stop. The beaches at Nelles (nice, but crowded), and Columbus Cove are very nice and sandy and have plenty of palm/shade trees on the beach, and loungers everywhere.

I've been to the beaches on both the north and south shores of Erie (and several other Great Lakes), and although they can be "ok", they can't even be compared to the Caribbean - it's a different animal.

I've said it here before, if today's Cruise Critic was around when I started cruising, forget Labadee, I wouldn't have stepped one foot on a ship.

Between the overpriced attractions, the beach so rocky that people advise wearing water shoes and the beggars, I don't see the appeal. We have beaches on Lake Erie that sound nicer than this.
Labadee has no beggars, at least as I would define beggars. All Haitians on site have a job they are supposed to do or a product to sell. As is common in desperate areas, they can get pushy in an attempt to get money. Sellers of products (paintings, carvings, hair braiding, etc) have areas they are restricted to; they may not wander the beach bugging you to buy stuff (there are people selling Labadoodles [sp? alcoholic drinks] on the beach, but while they offer them, I've never seen them be pushy [they just go on to the next guy]); if you don't go to the product sales areas you will never encounter the handicraft people. Chair and bathroom people certainly do not refuse tips, and SOME are overly pushy, but again this is momentary, not continuous, and avoidable for at least 98% of your time there. Compared to India or Egypt these guys are amateurs.

Same here. I only bring my Seapass. And a few dollar bills in a ziplock baggie. I only bring the dollars because I have been there and also because I read CC and know about the chair butlers. Otherwise I would not bring the dollars. I never bring cash to Half Moon Cay, Princess Cay, Grand Stirrup Cay. On the ship I don't carry my wallet either.

There are passengers who don't have knowledge about the chair butlers and don't bring any cash. They didn't bring cash or a wallet. That was not to avoid tipping the chair butlers. They didn't know about them. I met a couple of roll call members from my sailing a year ago off the ship and suggested Columbus Cove. We then went together. They were totally surprised by the chair butlers. They had no idea. All they had brought were their ship cards.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Charles4515

... I only bring my Seapass. And a few dollar bills in a ziplock baggie...
In addition to a few dollars for tips (if you wish; I'm trying to stay out of further involvement in do you or don't you:cool:) IF you want to buy handicrafts, that will require cash or possibly credit card (I think the upscale vendors in the "barn" generally accept credit cards or cash, the rest cash only).

Thom

It's just a petty annoyance like most of the gripes on Cruise Critic. It's not the sort of thing that would stop me from going.

Certain beaches are rocky. Columbus Cove is nice smooth sand both in and out of the water.

Barefoot, Nellies and Columbus Cove are not rocky with Columbus Cove being the smoothest. I believe Adrenaline is rocky. Never tried Adrenaline because there is absolutely no shade. Probably good for the tan worshippers. It also doesn't look as nice as the other beaches. And out of habit since Adrenaline used to have signs saying no swimming for years. I have noticed the last couple of years when you walk the path towards the town square the chair butlers from Adrenaline try to steer passengers there. A certain percentage of passengers are going to end up there because they don't do any prior research or look at the other beaches.

Edited by Charles4515

Labadee has no beggars, at least as I would define beggars. All Haitians on site have a job they are supposed to do or a product to sell. As is common in desperate areas, they can get pushy in an attempt to get money. Sellers of products (paintings, carvings, hair braiding, etc) have areas they are restricted to; they may not wander the beach bugging you to buy stuff (there are people selling Labadoodles [sp? alcoholic drinks] on the beach, but while they offer them, I've never seen them be pushy [they just go on to the next guy]); if you don't go to the product sales areas you will never encounter the handicraft people. Chair and bathroom people certainly do not refuse tips, and SOME are overly pushy, but again this is momentary, not continuous, and avoidable for at least 98% of your time there. Compared to India or Egypt these guys are amateurs.

I was going to start a new thread, but I'll build off of this. While reading the Royal Caribbean Blog's post about the recent incident in Labadee with the protests, I came across a comment I found to be really interesting. One person shared that when they were recently in Labadee, one of the workers confided in them that he was starving and was not allowed to go near any of the food or he would risk losing his job. As a result, he asked them to bring him back a plate of food (which they did.) I think that Royal Caribbean is losing their grasp on Labadee. I believe that these people did the right thing, yet I don't think that they should have been put in this position on a "private island/destination" to begin with. Any thoughts?

I was going to start a new thread, but I'll build off of this. While reading the Royal Caribbean Blog's post about the recent incident in Labadee with the protests, I came across a comment I found to be really interesting. One person shared that when they were recently in Labadee, one of the workers confided in them that he was starving and was not allowed to go near any of the food or he would risk losing his job. As a result, he asked them to bring him back a plate of food (which they did.) I think that Royal Caribbean is losing their grasp on Labadee. I believe that these people did the right thing, yet I don't think that they should have been put in this position on a "private island/destination" to begin with. Any thoughts?

I don't think it is a good idea to bring any of the workers plates of food. Passengers bringing plates of food to a worker will encourage other workers to beg for food. It is Royal Caribbean's resort and they should provide the workers they employ with the means to obtain food or with food.

Edited by Charles4515

I've said it here before, if today's Cruise Critic was around when I started cruising, forget Labadee, I wouldn't have stepped one foot on a ship.

I hear ya'! We almost cancelled our very first cruise 10 years ago based on what I read on CC. So glad we didn't.

Unfortunately, many new users are likely overreacting based on postings from people who likely complain about everything in their non-cruising lives as well.

I have a lot of thoughts, many in conflict with other thoughts. The economy of Haiti is one of the worst in the world, with per capita income about US$5 per day. As usual there is plenty of places to put the blame, with the international business community and local corruption probably heading the list. The poor suckers at the bottom had no control over the situation they were born into, and little educational opportunities to get them out of the mess they are in. The Haitians who get access to the RCI compound have better opportunity than the average Haitian, but are light years from the Haitian 1%. I can easily believe that the individual described was hungry, but I find it difficult to believe that anyone with access to the RCI compound is actually in danger of starving.

I have been to well over 100 countries, and recognize that I was blessed to be born with the opportunities that I have had. I have three charities that I have selected to focus my resources on, and two of these are international in scope. Nevertheless I would prefer to not have the world's problems thrust in my face when I'm on vacation, and I feel that within an RCI compound the company has a responsibility to provide passengers with a pleasant, comfortable experience.

Obviously RCCL is in business and in Haiti to make money. They also should be good corporate citizens and I think they do a reasonable job of this in Haiti. They provide thousands of dollars in landing fees (US$12 per passenger, I think) to Haiti, although I expect most of that is lost in corruption at the top of the government. They also provide employment opportunities to the very people that are being discussed in this thread - jobs that seem lousy by US standards, but which are far better than the other available opportunities. RCI also helps support the local school, etc. I was in Labadee on Freedom of the Seas' first stop after the earthquake, and the ship was carrying lots of relief supplies with no transport fees being charged, and was offering lots of opportunities to contribute to relief funds (eg you could blow the ship's horn for $700 [all of which was supposed to go directly into assistance]). These actions do not solve all the world's problems, but may help some.

Thom

I hear ya'! We almost cancelled our very first cruise 10 years ago based on what I read on CC. So glad we didn't.

Unfortunately, many new users are likely overreacting based on postings from people who likely complain about everything in their non-cruising lives as well.

I almost cancelled our first cruise after I read the Cruise Contract.:eek::D

For me, it's not the money. It's the principal of someone being rude and demanding money, and if you don't like their attitude, them telling you to do it yourself. It's their job, plain and simple.

Would you be okay walking into a restaurant and the server demanding a tip up front before they helped you?

As far as the bathroom guys, honestly I don't have a problem with them although I do prefer to get my own paper towel. I live and fly out of Charlotte quite often so I appreciate these guys. Airport bathrooms (at least the guys bathroom, I don't know about the ladies) is one of the most disgusting places in the world. These guys work hard to keep it clean, running in stalls to clean them for the next person after someone just walked out. It's a horrific job and I have no issues throwing him a few bucks every time I go.

The difference is they're nice and don't demand a tip before they do their job. They do it, they smile and hope for a tip in return.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I've been to Labadee 2X and travel all over the world - I've never encountered anyone who is providing a service to be unfriendly. I'm pleasant and friendly to them, and I tip - but they don't know that until the service has been provided.

For those of you who don't see the "value" in handing out a huge $1 for a chair all I can say again is "wow." ( And this has nothing to do with the OP's post about a confrontation with someone who was rude - they should have been reported.)

And while I'm on my soapbox, not taking some singles with you so you can tip is just an excuse to not tip.

I almost cancelled our first cruise after I read the Cruise Contract.:eek::D

Our first cruise I spent a few hours over a few days reading the contract. Since then I have never looked at it, and if I did today I might need a magnifine glass to read it. ;)

We were in Labadee a couple of weeks ago, and saw the workers there getting food at the buffet, not sure if they can all do it, or just some of them but they had take out containers that they could feel with their lunch.

No problem. Move your own chair then or tell the guy up front (BEFORE he moves a chair and sticks his hand out) you will not be tipping him.

Edited by Who Cares?

Same here. I only bring my Seapass. And a few dollar bills in a ziplock baggie. I only bring the dollars because I have been there and also because I read CC and know about the chair butlers. Otherwise I would not bring the dollars. I never bring cash to Half Moon Cay, Princess Cay, Grand Stirrup Cay. On the ship I don't carry my wallet either.

There are passengers who don't have knowledge about the chair butlers and don't bring any cash. They didn't bring cash or a wallet. That was not to avoid tipping the chair butlers. They didn't know about them. I met a couple of roll call members from my sailing a year ago off the ship and suggested Columbus Cove. We then went together. They were totally surprised by the chair butlers. They had no idea. All they had brought were their ship cards.

IMO, ANYONE who is a seasoned traveler knows to carry some money when they leave their hotel/ship/plane/etc..... as you never know when you may need a buck or two.

I disagree. The food in the compound is paid for by the guests and is for the guests only (which is why the guy didn't get himself a plate). If the guy can't make a living working on Labadee then he can always try somewhere else in Haiti.

I've been to Labadee 2X and travel all over the world - I've never encountered anyone who is providing a service to be unfriendly. I'm pleasant and friendly to them, and I tip - but they don't know that until the service has been provided.

For those of you who don't see the "value" in handing out a huge $1 for a chair all I can say again is "wow." ( And this has nothing to do with the OP's post about a confrontation with someone who was rude - they should have been reported.)

And while I'm on my soapbox, not taking some singles with you so you can tip is just an excuse to not tip.

So do you think I should had out a buck when I get my own chair? :confused:

Edited by Who Cares?

IMO, ANYONE who is a seasoned traveler knows to carry some money when they leave their hotel/ship/plane/etc..... as you never know when you may need a buck or two.

Royal and Celebrity tell passengers that all they need is their seapass card. That Labadee is like being on the ship. I would not bring any money if I did not know about the chair butler tips. I have never taken any money to Half Moon Cay or Princess Cay. There was never a need too. They also are private just like being on the ship. Again, I never carry money on the ship. That is because I am a seasoned traveler and know I don't need any bucks there. I don't actually need any money at Labadee.

Edited by Charles4515

I couldn't care less about $1. As I stated in an earlier post, I tip 20% everywhere I go *provided the service is good*.

But there is exactly zero chance of getting a penny from me if you are rude. Don't like your job? Tough, quit and go elsewhere. That's your problem, not mine. I don't owe you anything.

The OP's story was very simple, she stated her husband had the tip money, not her, but this guy was a dick and told her to get her own chairs. He's paid to put those chairs out. He should be fired for not doing it.

If he does put them out for you, and is nice to you while he does it, the LEAST you should do is toss him a few dollars.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

We were in Labadee a couple of weeks ago, and saw the workers there getting food at the buffet, not sure if they can all do it, or just some of them but they had take out containers that they could feel with their lunch.

I've seen workers eating at the buffet every time I've been to Labadee. It's usually at the end of the lunch hours. Also, I noticed last time I was there, when I was at Columbus Cove, they gave several boxes of leftover food and drinks to people waiting at the gate. It looked like a regular thing because people were lined up to collect the food.

You're right, I haven't been to Labadee, but based on the comments I don't see why I would need to. I've been to Many Caribbean destinations, the Latitude does not wow me.

No problem. Move your own chair then or tell the guy up front (BEFORE he moves a chair and sticks his hand out) you will not be tipping him.

My local supermarket chain offers carry out service and they specifically have signs saying NO TIPPING. So if I use the service should I explain to the worker not to expect a tip?