Vaccinations for Bermuda

official_wilko

Hello,

Sorry if this breaks any rules on the forum and delete if necessary. We're traveling from the UK for our first ever cruise which departs from Cape Liberty on 20th August to Bermuda on Summit.

There are some recommended vaccinations for Bermuda, however none are essential. My question is, how many adhere to the recommendations and get them done pre-cruise?

It's recommended Hep A, Hep B and Typhoid. Neither my wife or I intend on eating in Bermuda and will be making full use of facilities on the ship.

I'd be interested to know people's thoughts.

Thanks,

Tom

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Forums mobile app

Why not speak to your doctor; they would be the best to ask.

Here on the east coast of the US we travel to Bermuda frequently (it's only a 1.5 hour flight from NY) and I have never heard of anyone taking vaccinations before going.

Enjoy your cruise.

Kind of interesting recommendations. Just looked out of curiosity and the US CDC has Hep A and Typhoid on their recommended list as well. Never gave that any thought, although I had Hep A and B vaccines in the Army and they appear to be good "for life" or thereabouts.

Unless you're getting out and eating in people's homes, I wouldn't be too worried, although Hep A has been a US recommended childhood vaccine for the last 10+ years and I'm guessing most US children get it at a year of age and no longer worry about it. Given that the alternative for travel to large portions of world before the vaccine was a large volume of gamma globulin, usually administered in the butt before hopping into an unpadded jump seat for a 10-hour flight, I'm a fan of the vaccine!

The Hep B recommendation from the US is more complicated, understandably, as it's a blood and bodily fluid transmitted virus. If you're a fan of getting tattoos while traveling, I'd get it...

Of course, the best advice is your own physician!

Edited by markeb

Many people in the US are vaccinated against Hep A and Hep B, even if they aren't traveling to other countries because you can get it anywhere. You can even get Hep A from contaminated frozen food like frozen strawberries, frozen tuna, etc. You can google the outbreaks to see. Even if you aren't traveling anywhere, it might be worth speaking to your doctor about getting vaccinated against Hep A and Hep B.

"Hepatitis A is usually spread when the Hepatitis A virus is taken in by mouth from contact with objects, food, or drinks contaminated by the feces (or stool) of an infected person."

I cannot imagine why anyone would come to an anonymous internet forum and ask for medical advice. Everyone's own health and history is unique, and that may well dictate the wisdom of whether to have certain inoculations. Why would you not consult your own physician or at the very least rely on a medical authority such as the CDC.

Do you think anyone hear knows better? Or perhaps you just don't want to do it and are looking for company in making that decision.

Not the most prudent decision making process.

I travel with a CDC 731 form (international certificate of vaccination). I'm on my second form. It lists all my shots going back to 1987. The record list all my yellow fever, cholera, flu, mmr, typhoid, tetanus, tdap, hep A and hep B. I was so happy when they came out with Hep-A and Hep-B shots. I was getting a double doses of Gama Globulin shots every 6 months. With Hep-A I was able to stop getting the Gama Globulin shots. Hep-A protects you from contaminated food and water or through direct contact with an infectious person. You can come across contaminated food anywhere in the world and in your home country. The best thing is to talk to your personal doctor.

Hi Tom.

We don't know your age, past medical history, immunization records, or anything really. Best to talk to your doctor. It's free in the UK too, so why not?

And it is not true that there are no shots needed when traveling. It depends on what chronic conditions you have. I've traveled w/ someone who required shots and I didn't since I am generally healthy.

Thanks for the replies everyone, appreciated.

In response to some of the later posts, I already had a Doctor's appointment booked in to check this. However, I know a doctor is going to toe the line of the NHS travel website and just tell me they're recommended. I just wanted to get a feel for what other cruise travellers are doing. I recognise an Internet forum is terrible for medical advice, however I wasn't asking for treatment recommendations and just what others have done.

Hearing about people from the UK who have gone there without vaccinations is good to know. Additionally, the general feeling I get from the replies is that it isn't 'must have'. Same as I've been reading about elsewhere. I've yet to actually meet anyone who's been to Bermuda!

Thanks again.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Forums mobile app

I cannot imagine why anyone would come to an anonymous internet forum and ask for medical advice. Everyone's own health and history is unique, and that may well dictate the wisdom of whether to have certain inoculations. Why would you not consult your own physician or at the very least rely on a medical authority such as the CDC.

Do you think anyone hear knows better? Or perhaps you just don't want to do it and are looking for company in making that decision.

Not the most prudent decision making process.

I cannot imagine why you feel the need to make snarky comments to a valid question. Half your posts are snarky.

Anyway, to the OP, here's a link to your NHS Bermuda recommendations-it's put out by NHS Scotland, but it sounds like it applies to all UK travellers . Hope this helps:

http://www.fitfortravel.nhs.uk/destinations/north-america/bermuda.aspx

If the question is how many cruisers get vaccinated before traveling the answer is not many. As you see on here, in general for the Caribbean, Alaska, Hawaii, and Bermuda very few if any people check about or get vaccinations. Now when you get into South American, Africa, Asia, etc, I expect that the answer may change.

As far as those vaccines, in the US hep A and hep B are considered standard childhood vaccines and are recommended for everyone, whether traveling or not. I expect that the NHS probably has them listed as recommended for most countries you may travel to. They are all vaccines where once you get them they are good the rest of your life. So it's not a bad idea to get them if you didn't get them as a kid.

I wouldn't bother with typhoid. Depending on which version you take it lasts 2-5 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hi official wilko....I have been to Bermuda and it's wonderful and thoroughly modern! :D

I agree that only your Dr. can advise you but may I offer the following: I haven't heard of any cases of typhoid or similar diseases being a threat there...BUT I would get Hep A on general principles, same as tetanus and if you haven't had measles I would really get the MMR vaccine because measles IS making a comeback all over the world, especially in Europe.