Which port to not get off the boat?

cruising_diva

We're sailing on the Dream on October 26th, going to Montego Bay, Grand Cayman, and Cozumel. This is our first 7 day cruise, and therefore the most port-heavy cruise we've been on. My husband admitted to me this morning that he really hates the hustle and bustle of getting off the ship, and he would really like to miss of one those ports, stay on the boat, and enjoy the nearly empty ship.:eek: (3 port days in a row does sound pretty exhausting to me, too!:o) So my question is, which port should we skip? We've been to Cozumel twice together, and I've been once on my own (total of 3 times for me) -- but we've never been to Chankanaab and that is what I really wanted to do this time. We just scored our FTTF today and one of the benefits is priority tendering, which would come in handy at Grand Cayman. To me, Montego Bay sounds like the best choice... but I'm not sure that missing ANY port is a good choice.

I need some advice from someone who has seen all of these ports. Input, please!!!

I have never considered missing a port and staying on the ship before but with your choices I would definitely pick Montego Bay. Looking back at all the ports we have been to that is one that I have no desire to visit again.

I love Grand Cayman and Cozumel -- I cannot imagine not getting off the ship at those ports. The water in Grand Cayman was fantastic -- the color! WOW!

I must admit I have not been to Montego Bay -- but if it were me -- I would get off and see them all.

I have been to Chakanaab -- did not love it -- we did love Paradise Beach -- a lot of people (who were not dragging children around swear by the the all inclusives in Cozumel like Mr. Sanchos or Nachi Cocum) -- I have not been to either of those.

Have fun!

Check the shore excursions in the ports -- if one port really has nothing that strikes your fancy, skip that one.

Last time in Grand Cayman, our "excursion" was simply getting off the ship & going to Dairy Queen for a Blizzard. 5 minute walk from the tender dock.

Maybe hang out for the morning and wander off after the initial rush and just look around in the Port that seems the least exciting. I've done the 3 Port days in a row and it can be exhausting. We ended up skipping dinner one of those nights and ordering grilled cheese and fries from room service. It was a seriously enjoyable meal!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Skipping ports is generally not a great idea if you've never been there before. 3 ports back to back isn't bad if you got sea days to recover.

That being said, if I had to skip, it would be grand cayman. I found it somewhat dull.

An idea is find out which port you have the most time and just take your time leaving the ship. Just because you leave the ship doesn't mean you have to do something. Nothing wrong with finding a coffee shop or cafe and having a drink and just plain relax.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I have been to Jamica twice never did a excursion cause none interested me. I would pick it to stay on the ship. Wont miss much. But that is just my opinion. There may be more experienced cruisesrs who have done excursions.

I would only get off for Cozumel. Not a big fan of the tender at Cayman and being there a couple of times, I don't think there is much more to see. Same thing with Jamaica, it is nice but unless you have a tour you really want to go on, stay on board.

Woo hoo! I got FTTF too! We haven't decided about Jamaica. But we definitely will not explore on our own there. Only get off if we have an excursion booked. Only 185 days to go!

-Kelly

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I am so so so SOOOOO glad you got it! This morning when I got mine I desperately wanted to email you to tell you it was there! Your username popped in my head and I was like "Oh she just HAS to get it! FTTF score MADE MY WEEK! Now I can quit stressing about that! :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

I am so so so SOOOOO glad you got it! This morning when I got mine I desperately wanted to email you to tell you it was there! Your username popped in my head and I was like "Oh she just HAS to get it! FTTF score MADE MY WEEK! Now I can quit stressing about that! :)

what does FTTF stand for? (not in the list of acronyms I found).

Faster to the Fun. An optional shore excursion Carnival offers for priority boarding, priority tendering, special phone # and line for Guest Servies, priorty dining reservations, and debark. $50 per stateroom.

We have been going to Jamaica for almost 50 years. It is one of the most beautiful islands but also one of the most troubled. I cannot recommend anyone leave the ship and just wander. It's such a shame. Once outside Montego Bay driving up into the mountains is lush and with the proper driver/guide I would highly recommend this approach. Check out the Caribbean Ports of Call board to find just such a person.

There are some beautiful beaches on Grand Cayman but if you are interested in wandering in the city center and counting international banking institutions then you have hit a windfall. Scuba and snorkeling sites are easy to find, not far from the ship and can easily be arranged when you dock.

I know absolutely nothing about Chakanaab. If it is a beachy stop near Cozumel can you get to the ruins? If you have no interest in beach days are there alternatives? Just asking????

Honestly, out of my 21 cruises there are times I don't get off the ship at ports, especially if I have been there more than three or four times. On my upcoming cruise with stops in Key West, Grand Cayman and Cozumel, I am not planning to get off the ship at all! Been there, done that so many times I really think there is nothing new to see.

Sometimes I cruise with a group of friends and tag along and enjoy the day on shore....other times I cruise to just kick back and relax....enjoy the quiet of the ship on port days to re-energize myself for returning to the real world.

But to answer your question, if you have never been to Jamaica, then I would not skip that port - Jamaica is beautiful and if you are on the right excursion, you are not in any danger at all. I would skip a stop you've been to before. But, why not let your husband stay on the ship and do his thing, while you go off and enjoy the ports? After all, it's his vacation too and it's yours also. Do what you each want to do!

I think it depends on what you like to do which one to skip (personally I wouldn't skip any, I cruise for the ports and not the ship).

Cozumel, I went to Nachi Cocum and it was so relaxing I did not want to leave. Grand Cayman itself is pretty boring IMO but Stingray City is worth seeing and I enjoyed snorkeling there. Montego Bay I actually did as an AI and really enjoyed climbing Dunn's River Falls.

So my advice is, consider what you would do in each port and then decide to skip the one that sounds least interesting to you.

Jamaica is absolutely beautiful, but unfortunately a day of wandering around is not the way to see it. (Do a really nice all-inclusive instead). I would stay on the ship for that port. I've always wanted to do that. Have fun!

And by the way, if you get off in Cozumel, our favorite activity is to rent a car (barter a bit and you get one for $60). There's basically one main road that goes around the island and it's a fabulous drive! The entire loop takes about an hour (keep that in mind), but you can stop wherever you want and come and go as you please. We typically start at Mr Sancho's before it gets too crowded. And then we drive to the undeveloped beaches and admire the beauty. Our last stop is usually Coconuts, which is a cliff-top restaurant. We've done this half a dozen times and it's always our favorite cruise day. Enjoy!