what side of ship

winowino

Depends on the ship, depends on the port, depends on the captain, depends on weather conditions. A lot of variables apply here. You have a 50/50 chance. Enjoy cruising.

I'm getting ready to go on my first cruise! I'd like my cabin to be on whichever side the hip will be pulling into ports with, for the view. But how do I know which side that will be?

Like cargo containers? That's what you'll often see on shore next to the ship. And that could be either the port or starboard side of the ship.

Fi actually once sat and worked it out ( I know I lead a boring life) and it worked out, for us at 51% 48%, and more often than not neither side had much of a view, the side to the dick may range from the roof of the terminal, to cargo containers to a lovely view of the town, the other side may look out on similar or the sea.

Aside from a one way, like a trans-Atlantic when you want to be on the sunny (or shady) side, it really makes no difference. It is not predictable whether a ship will nose in, or back in, when going alongside a pier. And in some ports the pier is a dismal industrial site, while seaward gives a beautiful view - or the pier side lets you look at a beautiful town.

Aside from a one way, like a trans-Atlantic when you want to be on the sunny (or shady) side, it really makes no difference. It is not predictable whether a ship will nose in, or back in, when going alongside a pier. And in some ports the pier is a dismal industrial site, while seaward gives a beautiful view - or the pier side lets you look at a beautiful town.

Spot on.

It's a 50/50 chance of facing the dock. Sometimes, the better view is away from the dock....just depends on the port! The captain will try and give equal time to each side of the ship.

The ship captain (in consultation with the chief engineer), the port captain and the docking pilot all influence how a ship is positioned at a pier. It has nothing to do with passenger preference.

Edited by Flatbush Flyer