Zika virus

BcruiseCrazy

[emoji16][emoji16][emoji16] I'm cruising out of MIAMI on September 8(sensation) I'm worried about heading down there!! I already live in Fort Lauderdale but I have been staying FAR AWAY FROM MIAMI!!! I hope this doesn't affect my upcoming cruise

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

How would it affect your cruise?

You already live close to a high risk area. And you're worried about Miami but what ports is your cruise visiting? Most cruises out of Florida hit at least one port that has active transmission. You are worried about Miami but not these ports?

Are you pregnant? Hoping to be? Then you need to seriously think about the risk.

If you're not, then wear DEET after applying your sunscreen. I never ever wear chemical based bug sprays but you can bet I will be in October on my cruise. But I'm not going to stress and worry about getting Zika.

[emoji16][emoji16][emoji16] I'm cruising out of MIAMI on September 8(sensation) I'm worried about heading down there!! I already live in Fort Lauderdale but I have been staying FAR AWAY FROM MIAMI!!! I hope this doesn't affect my upcoming cruise

This post makes no sense.

If you live here then you've seen the news and understand it isn't a big deal and locals are more worried about the spraying than the virus.

No it is s big deal!!!

I agree- it is a big deal. It can still affect people even if they are not pregnant. Adults too can develop conditions. If you aren't comfortable about going I would choose a different route. I am waiting a month before making a final decision- and I might go somewhere else

I agree- it is a big deal. It can still affect people even if they are not pregnant. Adults too can develop conditions. If you aren't comfortable about going I would choose a different route. I am waiting a month before making a final decision- and I might go somewhere else

It isn't a big deal to locals except for a few.

If it is concerning to you, I would suggest you book your cruise from another embarkation port.

At this point, most locals are more worried about the horrific spraying.

No it is s big deal!!!

Why is it a big deal?

If you are pregnant, then why wasn't this a big deal for you months ago, given that at least some of the ports you'll visit have been known transmission zones for quite some time?

If you are trying to become pregnant, ditto.

If neither of the above apply to you, then, I repeat, what's the big deal, and why is Miami a bigger deal than your port visits?

Why is it a big deal?

If you are pregnant, then why wasn't this a big deal for you months ago, given that at least some of the ports you'll visit have been known transmission zones for quite some time?

If you are trying to become pregnant, ditto.

If neither of the above apply to you, then, I repeat, what's the big deal, and why is Miami a bigger deal than your port visits?

Well some people don't want to take health risks and are concerned. It is quite understandable.

Well some people don't want to take health risks and are concerned. It is quite understandable.

Again, if it is worrisome for you, use another embarkation point.

There is so much other horrible crab that goes on down here it is barely even on the news any longer.

A kid was shot up on the street the other day. At his funeral, at the cemetary, a drive by occurred and they shot and killed three more people.

At the funeral.

http://miami.cbslocal.com/tag/funeral-home-shooting/

A little girl is on life support because of a drive by shooting the next day. She was standing in line to see a move with her father. They are going to pull the plug.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/8-year-old-girl-shot-dead-father-injured-outside-miami-home/

We had another kid who was high on flakka jump through a plate glass window and attack a woman, her son, and his girlfriend. The flakka gave him superhuman strength and even hitting this kid with a baseball bat didn't stop him.

This comes after the FSU student just brutally murdered to strangers on the same drug in their own garage.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/sheriff-intruder-smashes-window-attacks-residents-135314169.html

Zikka is no big deal down here.

Hate to pop your bubble, but the Florida Dept of Health is currently investigating a possible non-travel related case of Zika here in Broward County.

http://www.floridahealth.gov/newsroom/2016/07/072116-Zika-Possible-Non-Travel-Case-Broward.html

There are only a few dozen cases of Zika that cannot be traced to either (1) travel to the Caribbean or South America; or (2) intimate contact with someone who just returned from the above areas.

When there are a couple more zeros on the number of non-travel cases, then I'll start worrying.

Are you pregnant? Hoping to be? Then you need to seriously think about the risk.

If you're not, then wear DEET after applying your sunscreen. I never ever wear chemical based bug sprays but you can bet I will be in October on my cruise. But I'm not going to stress and worry about getting Zika.

Prudent and valuable advice.

• 2 weeks later...

I have my Sawyer brand deet repellent and I'm ready to go! I'm not of childbearing age but there is also the GB virus concern. I'm putting on sunscreen then insect repellent. I also have something to treat my clothes that I purchased from REI. I'm armed and so ready to go. I'm not even going to worry one little bit. My family and I have been anticipating our cruise for over a year and we are going worry-free. We are going to have a blast. I can't even imagine even one little thing that would make us not have an amazing time. We all tend to be easy, breezy when it comes to traveling and don't let little things get to us.

Edited by lovevacadays

Miami locals are protesting the spraying because it is so obnoxious.

Fort Lauderdale is spraying Monday using biologicals and not that obnoxious naled Miami is using that itself causes birth defects.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/health/zika-virus/fl-zika-broward-spraying-20160910-story.html

Being someone that lives fairly close to the prominent area, I'm surprised you're concerned with being outside in Miami long enough to just board a ship. The infected was only found within a one mile radius. But with that said, a single infected mosquito could easily roam it's way to Fort Lauderdale without issues. But current news reports are already investigating a local case there. It's not like it's Ebola. Be smart, just take precautions. Sprays, lotions, board the ship in pants and jacket if need be. 😑