Money change in Istanbul

I have read that the best place to obtain Turkish Lira is in Turkey and not to buy it outside of the Country. That said we will be in Istanbul on the Connie in April and my question is to those who have arrived at the port . Where is the best place to exchange money into Turkish Lira

Also just back from Istanbul. As expected, the best exchange rates are from ATM machines of banks, not private companies. ATM rates are also better than exchanging dollar bills for tl at money exchanges.

We were docked in "the middle" of the various options (tip: read about possible exits for this port in advance and ask where exactly on the map you are when you arrive...this helps you know where the closest tram stop is or your closest access point to the main street and might save you time). My ATM card had a problem (my card, not the machine), so we exchanged money not far from where our ship docked, going leftward down the street and the exchange place was on the right. If you plan to use the tram, ask for some coins and smaller bills with your change.

Also just back from Istanbul. As expected, the best exchange rates are from ATM machines of banks, not private companies. ATM rates are also better than exchanging dollar bills for tl at money exchanges.
The hole-in-the-wall bureaux de change in Istanbul can offer excellent rates, but it's best if you go to an area with a large concentration of them (around the Grand Bazaar and garment district, off Istiklal Avenue in the new town) so you can compare rates. Right around the cruise terminal there are not many so I'm guessing the spread between their buy and sell rates will be less advantageous.

We got the best rates in the middle of the Grand Bazaar. The rates around the Grand Bazaar and on the edges of the Grand Bazaar were lower than what the rates were in the middle of the bazaar. Know your rates before you exchange. We found the bank ATM's to have a lower rate than the Grand Bazaar.

We got the best rates in the middle of the Grand Bazaar. The rates around the Grand Bazaar and on the edges of the Grand Bazaar were lower than what the rates were in the middle of the bazaar. Know your rates before you exchange. We found the bank ATM's to have a lower rate than the Grand Bazaar.

What sort of rate differences are we talking about. If one was thinking of changing say $US100 are the difference significant

What sort of rate differences are we talking about. If one was thinking of changing say $US100 are the difference significant

In a word, NO! Those of us who do a lot of international travel will often look to get the best rates out of principle. But the reality for most cruisers is that they do not spend a lot of local currency and changing $100, $200, or even $500 is hardly worth the trouble of shopping for the best rate. Perhaps you will save $20....but not worth the hassle.

Hank

If you are only changing $100 it is not worth running all around town looking for the very best rate. Look for a change office with a small spread between buy and sell rates (1-2%) and you will do fine.

But, to repeat, the simplest way with the best rate is to go to an ATM. As you exit the port you will find them on both sides of the street to the left and to the right (at least that was our experience.) Then go to the kiosk in the middle of the street to get tram tickets and you are good to go.

• 2 weeks later...

It was not a big difference, but enough. You get a much better rate changing a $100 bill and some places will not change foreign currency for less than $100 US. There is plenty to spend money on in Istanbul if you are a shopaholic and are looking for souvenirs to take home. We spent most of our money at Jennifer's Haman ( I think I spelt it correctly). The shop is located in the Arasta Bazaar which is behind the Blue Mosque. She sells towels that are made in Turkey. They are of a very high quality and better than what some other stores are offering although a bit more expensive. You get quality, you pay a bit more. Still more reasonable than anything I could buy here at home. I also found the prices in other stores at the Arasta Bazaar to be be better than at the Grand Bazaar and the Spice Bazaar. If you are really into shopping the streets behind the Spice Bazaar are full of fascinating shops. We window shopped except for a wool store (I could hardly believe getting a ball of wool for 33 cents) which friends had told us to go to. Lots of narrow streets, jam packed with people but oh so fascinating.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

For me, the best place would be the closest, quickest and safest ATM, or nearby kiosk to break a 100/Euro note. Then I could be promptly off with small denomination Lira. The rate difference by walking to save a few dollars not worth it to me.