Azamara vs. Oceania - my opinion

travelinjudy

As someone who has been researching both for a cruise to the Med next year, I have found this thread most interesting.

It solidified my impression that ACC is more what we are looking for.

....and you will Love the Amacerto in November too with smaller numbers and great interaction, great food and great itinerary.... and the wine keeps pouring....:D

I really do not understand what the big thing is about seeing and talking to officers. I prefer that they be concentrating on sailing the ship than being social with the passengers.

Let's see if I can explain this. When the ship's officers are talking to passengers, they're getting feedback in real time - good and bad. They can then fix things that need fixing and compliment those crew who are doing an especially good job. They can see how things are being done, and make changes where necessary.

The officers are not just "being social with the passengers". They're doing everything they can to make sure that passengers know that their needs are being addressed and that the officers and crew are glad they're sailing on Azamara.

When you're a repeat passenger on an Azamara ship, you'll be greeted by waiters who remember you or a cabin attendant who remembers you, or the hotel director who is happy to see you back. There is a warm friendly feeling that you just don't get on Oceania.

And remember, ship's officers aren't just the people involved with navigation. They include officers on the "hotel" side.

....and you will Love the Amacerto in November too with smaller numbers and great interaction, great food and great itinerary.... and the wine keeps pouring....:D

I loved my last AMA cruise on the AmaDante last fall. Wonderful attention to detail in every aspect of the experience.

We have chosen to river cruise rather than ocean cruise for the past 4 years as we grew disenchanted with main stream cruising and the budget would not permit Regent.

Azamara seems to offer good value considering the inclusions. And now that ratings are so improved, I think it's time to see for ourselves.:)

I loved my last AMA cruise on the AmaDante last fall. Wonderful attention to detail in every aspect of the experience.

We have chosen to river cruise rather than ocean cruise for the past 4 years as we grew disenchanted with main stream cruising and the budget would not permit Regent.

Azamara seems to offer good value considering the inclusions. And now that ratings are so improved, I think it's time to see for ourselves.:)

My mother just returned from Uniworld and she thought it was the best river cruise she has done...we hope to try a river cruise soon also

I loved what Andy and TGG posted today. As i leave for cruise 6 and 7 in 3 weeks i can not wait to be " welcome back home". Next up is about 8 cruises on Quest in 2013. waiting for 2014 winter dates so i can plan more A cruises.

I meet a lot of newbies but i meet a lot of people like me who just have to come back for more time on Azamara.

Andy- i believe talking to and knowing the officers makes a huge difference.. when i switch from J to Q i feel i am starting over.. but with 4 and 5 cruises together i will know everyone on board..

Interaction with staff at all levels can make a huge difference. However, just to say for new cruisers who maybe lurking and reading these posts, it will only take a day before you really start to get to know staff and they get to know you. On Azamara it is not a 3 or 4 cruise learning curve in case you are worried!!

Edited by uktog

My mother just returned from Uniworld and she thought it was the best river cruise she has done...we hope to try a river cruise soon also

Uniworld's old world style and heavy decor is a turn off for us. We have been next to them in port on several occasions and their boats, while very nice, just do not appeal.

We have done five river cruises between AMA and Avalon. AMA was outstanding and has what we look for in a river cruise: great food featuring local dishes and an artisinal cheese board that was fabulous at lunch and dinner; entertainment that went beyond standard river cruise piano player and kept us up having fun past midnight, a first; a younger demographic; bike tours; interesting twists on the included excursions which we mostly avoid on river cruises as we prefer to do our own thing; fast walker groups; on board masseuse and a young crew that was truly outstanding.

Their new boat has a wine bar, pool with swim up bar, and multiple dining venues. We are excited to be checking her out this fall, sailing Budapest to Prague.

I really do not understand what the big thing is about seeing and talking to officers. I prefer that they be concentrating on sailing the ship than being social with the passengers.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Have you considered that if you see no officers, you might be cruising on the Marie Celeste?

In respect of service all the staff that I have encountered on Azamara cruises seem prepared to go one step farther than those on other cruise lines that I have travelled with.

Try them.

Uniworld's old world style and heavy decor is a turn off for us. We have been next to them in port on several occasions and their boats, while very nice, just do not appeal.

We have done five river cruises between AMA and Avalon. AMA was outstanding and has what we look for in a river cruise: great food featuring local dishes and an artisinal cheese board that was fabulous at lunch and dinner; entertainment that went beyond standard river cruise piano player and kept us up having fun past midnight, a first; a younger demographic; bike tours; interesting twists on the included excursions which we mostly avoid on river cruises as we prefer to do our own thing; fast walker groups; on board masseuse and a young crew that was truly outstanding.

Their new boat has a wine bar, pool with swim up bar, and multiple dining venues. We are excited to be checking her out this fall, sailing Budapest to Prague.

I'm glad you found a line you enjoy,

Uniworld has amazing to deck furniture, and the ships the most maintained although not new. The style is more traditional mixed with contemporary very mixed and the bedding the best from what my clients say. I used to sell more AMA but a few clients were not as happy with consistency that they have enjoyed on Uniworld,

I would say most happy ate Uniworld then Viking and AMA sort of tie....

I like more modern ...traditional so I find the spaces on Uniworld perfect for sailing Europe. But I realize everyone has preferences :)

Can't wait to get on one ourselves

We were in Budapest two weeks ago for four days and watched various river cruise boats come and go from the banks of the Danube.

The most impressive boat belonged to Scenic Tours; an Aussie operation, with new ships, and "full balconies" - big enough for two chairs and a round coffee table.

I sent for their brochure and it came with a fantastic DVD, well worth ordering if you are considering a river cruise.

All inclusive too, and Moet & Chandon Champagne available for breakfast every day................

Edited by Bollinge

We were in Budapest two weeks ago for four days and watched various river cruise boats come and go from the banks of the Danube.

The most impressive boat belonged to Scenic Tours; an Aussie operation, with new ships, and "full balconies" - big enough for two chairs and a round coffee table.

I sent for their brochure and it came with a fantastic DVD, well worth ordering if you are considering a river cruise.

All inclusive too, and Moet & Chandon Champagne available for breakfast every day................

My boss went on scenic and loved the balconies but the service, food and attention to detail was not that of Uniworld or AMA ...but they are a good option also

<<<<<< MY FAULT ! ! !

Andy, How did we get from Azamara vrs Oceania to River Cruises in Europe?

I made a comment about how someone was going to enjoy their upcoming River Cruise (Post # 77) and off we went................ :rolleyes: :D

Not a terrible thing.... we all grew from it :O)

Edited by 45640

Very useful review. thanks

Andy, How did we get from Azamara vrs Oceania to River Cruises in Europe?

Hi Everyone,

For starters, no alerts were sent, and I only had a chance to review the recent posts this morning. As there was some excellent information shared... I thought it best not to delete.

As a reminder, if you feel anything requires my attention, please use the red triangle alert report.gif, and I will take care of it as quickly as possible.

I'd like to remind our Azamara community to please keep the conversation on topic "Azamara vs Oceania". All future off-topic posts will be deleted. Thank You !

Edited by Host Andy

• 2 years later...

... abound now? I Am thinking of Azamara but read an independent review which put Oceania above Azamara, but upon reading the postings here my next venture will be Az..

But I wanted to find out if there were any updates or thoughts since it has been awhile since the last posting, that I need to consider or be aware of.

TIA - bo1953

I have been sailing with Azamara since '07. Each year there have been substantial improvements. A testament to the cruise line is that many of the staff have been with them since the beginning! They treat their staff well who, in kind, treat the passengers superbly! I decided to try Oceania this past spring. In all honesty, it was because of a particular itinerary. I could not wait for it to be over!!! It was one of their "R" ships so the comparison was equal. The majority of the staff never smiled let alone said hello. They nickel and dime you for everything (the magnetic strip on my card was worn out by the end). Once you arrived in port you were on your own. The entertainment was mediocre except for the outside entertainers that were brought on board. I will give them kudos for stepping up during bad weather. We hit a terrible storm in the Atlantic and they had it totally covered. Azamara feels like you are traveling with family. Oceania is a floating hotel. Big difference!!

Azamara feels like you are traveling with family. Oceania is a floating hotel. Big difference!!
That describes Azamara perfectly, and, while I haven't cruised Oceania (and have no interest in doing so), I have cruised its big brother, Regent, and "floating hotel" is a perfect way to characterize it.

COMPLETELY AGREE WITH SHUTTERBUG ! ! !

I have been sailing with Azamara since '07. Each year there have been substantial improvements. A testament to the cruise line is that many of the staff have been with them since the beginning! They treat their staff well who, in kind, treat the passengers superbly! I decided to try Oceania this past spring. In all honesty, it was because of a particular itinerary. I could not wait for it to be over!!! It was one of their "R" ships so the comparison was equal. The majority of the staff never smiled let alone said hello. They nickel and dime you for everything (the magnetic strip on my card was worn out by the end). Once you arrived in port you were on your own. The entertainment was mediocre except for the outside entertainers that were brought on board. I will give them kudos for stepping up during bad weather. We hit a terrible storm in the Atlantic and they had it totally covered. Azamara feels like you are traveling with family. Oceania is a floating hotel. Big difference!!

We have been on Azamara more than a Dozen times and Oceania a couple. I totally agree with the assessment made by Shutterbug.;) The staff and crew are not pressed to sell or promote and have you in mind to satisfy. Cordiality reigns free on Azamara and there is never a shortage of hugs.:D

Julie and Dick:cool: