looking for a good Skincare

sprint180

I am looking for a good moisturizer or just basic skin care. I read a good one a while back but can not find it again. Does anyone have any suggestions.

Also, is there a way to search only recent posts. Most of the ones I looked at were from 2005 and 2006.

Thanks

Vicki

A good skin care regimen is different for everyone. It depends on your skin type. But you don't need to spend a lot of money. Some people swear by expensive brands, but if you look at expensive versus drugstore, they more than likely have the exact same ingredients. I have normal skin, a few dry areas, and I'm not prone to breakouts.

I use Garnier BB cream during the day, because it has everything I need for a daytime cream. At night, I use different things...sometimes creams, sometimes oil.

I would do a google search and see what might be good for your skin type.

Just try stuff...doesn't have to be expensive! How old are you?

Oh...just so you know...none of it's magic! Vaseline is probably the best thing for your skin, but it's not the best feeling....just try stuff...you'll find what you like best. None of it stops aging...just so you know.

Edited by cb at sea

I will be 45 tomorrow and I wasn't really trying to stop aging I just don't like my face to feel dry. I also was just looking for something that is good and I didn't want to spend a ton trying different products. Guess I'll just stick with my Olay.

I will be 45 tomorrow and I wasn't really trying to stop aging I just don't like my face to feel dry. I also was just looking for something that is good and I didn't want to spend a ton trying different products. Guess I'll just stick with my Olay.

First, Happy Birthday....

Second, if your face has dry areas, I would definitely look at a BB cream for the day. At night, I like to use Palmers Skin Therapy Oil w/Vit E....I use it at night while I sleep, and it absorbs well.

If Olay is not doing what you want it to do, time to change. You might want to look at Aveeno and Neutrogena.

I'm 66 living in the drought zone of CA, so my skin type went from normal to sensitive/dry by the end of winter this year.

I have good skin, inherited from my father and from the sunscreen I started using when I was 28.

I swore by Dermalogica for years (on many threads here, too), but I have switched to good 'ole Olay products. Serious improvement in my face and neck . I use Olay Age Defying classic daily renewal cream, and Olay Regenerist wrinkle revolution complex. Retinol in tiny amounts over my "spots", NOT my whole face (too drying).

I use the classic cream all over, including eyes and neck/chest. Then I will alternate using the Regenerist either on areas with more wrinkles, or mix it half and half with the classic and use it all over.

Then, to give myself a little moisture boost and make my skin REALLY soft and smooth, I go to bed with a light layer of Aquaphor all over my face once or twice a week. Not greasy, but definitely there. It just seems to seal in the moisture, because it takes about 2 - 3 days for my skin to start reacting to the environment again.

If I do all of this everyday, it's too much. But, alternating the Regenerist and adding the Aquaphor twice a week, my skin really looks great. I also use a light mask/scrub once a week to get rid of surface dead skin cells, which are the REAL culprit to wrinkles.

By the way, most people think I'm about 10 - 15 years younger than I am. SUNSCREEN, BABY, SUNSCREEN!!! I'm living proof of what your arms, hands, and face look like after 38 years of sunscreen.

The main thing to remember is to use moisturizer at night, not in the morning, unless you are very careful about the ingredients. Most lotions contain some form of vitamin A (retinol and its variations), which becomes carcinogenic when exposed to UV light. Unfortunately, even many sunscreens contain vitamin A (look for baby sunscreens which are usually OK). Avoid using vitamin a containing products during the day.

Guest maddycat

I have been using Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser and Cetaphil Daily Facial Moisturizer for years for my very sensitive skin. My dermatologist first recommended Cetaphil to me.

Several of my friends have asked what I use and they have switched to Cetaphil products. They are also pleased with the results.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm 66 living in the drought zone of CA, so my skin type went from normal to sensitive/dry by the end of winter this year.

I have good skin, inherited from my father and from the sunscreen I started using when I was 28.

I swore by Dermalogica for years (on many threads here, too), but I have switched to good 'ole Olay products. Serious improvement in my face and neck . I use Olay Age Defying classic daily renewal cream, and Olay Regenerist wrinkle revolution complex. Retinol in tiny amounts over my "spots", NOT my whole face (too drying).

I use the classic cream all over, including eyes and neck/chest. Then I will alternate using the Regenerist either on areas with more wrinkles, or mix it half and half with the classic and use it all over.

Then, to give myself a little moisture boost and make my skin REALLY soft and smooth, I go to bed with a light layer of Aquaphor all over my face once or twice a week. Not greasy, but definitely there. It just seems to seal in the moisture, because it takes about 2 - 3 days for my skin to start reacting to the environment again.

If I do all of this everyday, it's too much. But, alternating the Regenerist and adding the Aquaphor twice a week, my skin really looks great. I also use a light mask/scrub once a week to get rid of surface dead skin cells, which are the REAL culprit to wrinkles.

By the way, most people think I'm about 10 - 15 years younger than I am. SUNSCREEN, BABY, SUNSCREEN!!! I'm living proof of what your arms, hands, and face look like after 38 years of sunscreen.

I'm back with an update:

While in Las Vegas a few weeks ago (talk about a harsh climate!!), I realized I forgot my facial cleanser. So, I got some Olay sensitive skin foaming cleanser. Love the stuff.

I've been all-Olay-all-the-time now for about a month-ish. My skin is in great condition, and the really bad dry patches around the edges of my face, under my eyes, and on my eyelids have disappeared.

I'm also looking for a good moisturizer for winter weather. I switch out according to climate and if my skin has been breaking out due to hormonal changes(just turned 40). I like Mario Badescu(Ulta), Garnier, Kiehl's, Neutrogena. I'm curious about all of the raves on Olay so I may try it out.

Has anyone ever tried the medi spa line, Obagi? It's expensive but it gets excellent reviews online.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I'm also looking for a good moisturizer for winter weather. I switch out according to climate and if my skin has been breaking out due to hormonal changes(just turned 40). I like Mario Badescu(Ulta), Garnier, Kiehl's, Neutrogena. I'm curious about all of the raves on Olay so I may try it out.

Has anyone ever tried the medi spa line, Obagi? It's expensive but it gets excellent reviews online.

Try the Olay line first. It's inexpensive, so you aren't out a bunch of money if you don't like the results. I just filled my travel supplies with the foaming face wash for sensitive skin. I still don't have my dry patches back, so the face wash and the two creams are holding strong for me.

Also look into Hyaluronic Acid serum...it is an intense moisturizer that I have begun using at night over my Vitamin C Serum. There are many brands. I have been using VoilaVe. Got it on Amazon and it has great reviews. I have only started using these items, so can't really give any review yet, but my skin does seem to be brighter and very soft.

Edited by crzndeb

If you have an Ulta store near you I recommend paying them a visit. You can try out samples and they also allow you to return any product you've used and didn't care for. Since I have sensitive skin that is allergic to even hypo allergenic stuff is a safe way to try different brands out for a few weeks.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Retinol must be what the lady in the original post I was talking about mentioned. I wish I could find it.

sherilyn70 my local walmart is 110 miles away so no we have no Ulta store close but I may look online thank you

Right now I am using olay products I really can't stand stand products that have a scent so I am pretty picky.

Thanks for all the advice. It is nice to hear what others are using.

Also look into Hyaluronic Acid serum...it is an intense moisturizer that I have begun using at night over my Vitamin C Serum. There are many brands. I have been using VoilaVe. Got it on Amazon and it has great reviews. I have only started using these items, so can't really give any review yet, but my skin does seem to be brighter and very soft.

Thanks for the tip on this brand. I see a couple of products I want to try.

For a really good retinol line, also on Amazon, try Skincare Ldel Cosmetics. It also gets great reviews.

I discovered the Exuviance brand several years age through a plastic surgeon I had to see for a repair of a problem left from an allergic reaction to a CPAP mask.

The Exuviance Age Reverse Eye Contour Cream is the first and only eye cream that I have ever used that I can actually see the results in 5 minutes on my eyes... and it last all day. I will be 60 years old in July and most people guess my age at 10 to 15 years younger that what I am... I have very few lines or wrinkles on my face or neck. I use the whole age reverse line, plus the anti-oxidant serum, the vespera serum, the eye de-puff serum and the toning neck cream. They have a few other product I use on occasion, such as the chemical peel set and the masque... You can buy this at ULTA or on Amazon.com...I have used creams and lines that cost a whole lot more than this line and have never gotten the results that this line gives... The starter set includes the day cream, night cream, skin wash and eye contour cream and is $78 at ULTA.. and on Amazon.com for $74... plus shipping...

I have my 93 year old Mother in law using it and the people at her church want to know what she uses to look so young... she looks like she is in her 60's or 70's.. she does not look 93 years old...

Check Exuviance out... you will be pleased... It is all natural plant based products...

Edited by KarenRH55

My DD (41) & I (67) love MyChelle. http://www.mychelle.com/ It's all-natural & affordable. And it leaves skin glowing. My daughter has very sensitive skin & never has allergy problems with it. I combine it with Facercises (facial exercises) & am very frequently told I look like my daughter's sister. (But the ultimate compliment came on my 62nd birthday when a 28-year-old woman told me that I look better than most women of HER age!)

There are gift sets for $20 and up. http://www.mychelle.com/Shop/collections#.VHT-m4vF98E

They're available for different skin types: youthful blemish, oily, dry, sensitive, combination, and age defense. We used the tiny trial sizes to determine what products to get full size. They also have frequent sales!

• 2 weeks later...

I used to use Olay and was fairly pleased with it so it is a good brand to use. However, that being said, I switched over to Paula's Choice. She researches all of the ingredients that go into her line and only uses ingredients that are gentle and non-irritating as well as scientifically proven to work. I have noticed a significant improvement in my skin to the point that I can actually step out of the house without any makeup on which is not something I would have ever done in the past before using this line. Her prices are also extremely reasonable and she has sales and free shipping offers on all the time. If you are confused by the various options, there is free online help that will customize what you need according to your skin issues or requirements. And no, I don't work for Paula's Choice. I just swear by her products.

Edited by Danni3ll3
Grammar