A no frills wedding at sea

My "husband" and I will be sailing with kids and grandkids in November - 14 of us. We divorced 25 years ago but reunited 15 years ago. I'm thinking it would be great to officially re-tie the knot while cruising with our family. However, the wedding package with all the frills - flowers, photographer, breakfast in bed etc is way to pricey. Can we tone it down and just have a simple ceremony exchanging vows?

My "husband" and I will be sailing with kids and grandkids in November - 14 of us. We divorced 25 years ago but reunited 15 years ago. I'm thinking it would be great to officially re-tie the knot while cruising with our family. However, the wedding package with all the frills - flowers, photographer, breakfast in bed etc is way to pricey. Can we tone it down and just have a simple ceremony exchanging vows?

Not that I know of. It looks to me that the minimum package for renewing vows was around $600.

Would having a simple ceremony at one of the ports be an option? My MIL got remarried at the Marriott at Frenchman's Reef in St. Thomas, and I have often seen couples being married on the quiet end of Orient Beach in St. Martin.

FWIW, I have no idea of cost or legalities. But I think that your story is so sweet, I am just hoping you find a way to make it happen!

You could make it legal at home and then have an unofficial ceremony onboard or on an island. Dress up, invite family/friends, have someone "marry" you, and go to a specialty restaurant for dinner.

We attended a wedding at Smith Cove in Grand Cayman. Super simple ceremony. Bride worked with a wedding consultant via email prior to the event. The marriage license and minister were arranged to make it legal. Bride made her bouquet of silk flowers and groom's boutonniere. She wore a pretty purple floral dress and groom wore a matching solid color shirt. Was a second wedding for both. Took a taxi to the place and then to a nice restaurant after. Beautiful ceremony.

As a pastor I would recommend to see if there is any clergy passengers on a ship who are fully ordained and if they would be willing to officiate a simple ceremony for you. Good luck...

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Forums mobile app

I would recommend to see if there is any clergy passengers on a ship who are fully ordained and if they would be willing to officiate

I don't see any way one would find that out unless they posted in roll call and got lucky.

Now you could have a friend get licensed online and have them marry you. Get a simple flower package from the ship, some champagne from room service, afterwards everyone hits a specialty restaurant together. :)

There was a wedding on Independence a few weeks ago, and it looked great. If you could have seen the amount of camera flashes as they walked through the royal promenade.

As for us, at the captains photo opportunity, I got down on one knee and proposed to my wife. After 30 years she has agreed to renew our vows again, so will be looking into this for next year. Doing a biggie family holiday next year, so will be either at Disney Orlando, on the follow on cruise. Good luck to the OP.

Who would officiate?

Thanks for all the good suggestions. I was really hoping the captain could marry us at sea in the little chapel with our family present. I'd gladly pay $1000 but not $5000 for that to happen.

Also, I have to look at the ramifications of us getting remarried. I'm 71, he's 77. How would that affect our social security and tax returns? It's a lot to consider.

Edited by bonniew88

Also, I have to look at the ramifications of us getting remarried. I'm 71, he's 77. How would that affect our social security and tax returns? It's a lot to consider.

I hope you don't go to an internet message board for advice on those issues.....

Nice story I hope it works out if you decide to remarry. There are probably places on each island (assuming this is a Caribbean cruise) that could do it.

There was a wedding on Independence a few weeks ago, and it looked great. If you could have seen the amount of camera flashes as they walked through the royal promenade.

As for us, at the captains photo opportunity, I got down on one knee and proposed to my wife. After 30 years she has agreed to renew our vows again, so will be looking into this for next year. Doing a biggie family holiday next year, so will be either at Disney Orlando, on the follow on cruise. Good luck to the OP.

I asked DH if he wanted to do an Alaskan Cruise for our Milestone anniversary in 2016 and renew our Vows.

Which would be in addition to our annual Jan/Feb Cruise. I thought Hey I'd snag 2 cruises within 4 months of each other...

His answer "No, I'd rather buy a new truck instead" :eek: No 2nd Cruise for me.

• 1 month later...
I asked DH if he wanted to do an Alaskan Cruise for our Milestone anniversary in 2016 and renew our Vows.

Which would be in addition to our annual Jan/Feb Cruise. I thought Hey I'd snag 2 cruises within 4 months of each other...

His answer "No, I'd rather buy a new truck instead" :eek: No 2nd Cruise for me.

So funny ... thanks for the chuckle.

I'm interested in a ceremonial wedding (not legal) with just my man and I. I was also wondering if the captain could DO this. I'm not interested in $5,000 for this service, though.

Thanks for sharing your experience!

You would have to talk with the Royal Romance people (888-933-7225) to see if this is an option. As far as I know, the symbolic ceremony is only performed by the Cruise Program Administrator.

Edited by clarea

As a pastor I would recommend to see if there is any clergy passengers on a ship who are fully ordained and if they would be willing to officiate a simple ceremony for you. Good luck...

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Forums mobile app

If you're a pastor then you know it wouldn't be legal just anywhere. They have to be able to obtain a license and the person performing the ceremony has to be recognized as an officiant for wherever the wedding is performed.

RCI doesn't do weddings "at sea" yet as far as I know. Getting married in port is a different situation and that has different requirements based on what port. There's no cheap way to do a wedding with RCI's help.

OP, if you want a legal marriage, make sure you know all the ins and outs.

I think a few posters need to re-read the op's post. She's looking for a real wedding/marriage, not a renewal or something that just looks like a wedding.

Edited by BND

If you're a pastor then you know it wouldn't be legal just anywhere. They have to be able to obtain a license and the person performing the ceremony has to be recognized as an officiant for wherever the wedding is performed.

RCI doesn't do weddings "at sea" yet as far as I know. Getting married in port is a different situation and that has different requirements based on what port. There's no cheap way to do a wedding with RCI's help.

OP, if you want a legal marriage, make sure you know all the ins and outs.

I think a few posters need to re-read the op's post. She's looking for a real wedding/marriage, not a renewal or something that just looks like a wedding.

Royal has been doing weddings at sea for a couple of years now. The Captain or Staff Captain officiate, and the couple is married under the laws of the Bahamas.

If it is symbolic rather than legal, cb at sea has a point. Pick a nice spot and enjoy. To make that legal, you could take a trip to the courthouse before or after. If you want it done by captain, I think you'd have to go through Royal Romance. You can plan a legal or symbolic wedding in one of the ports, but how unhappy will you be if ship misses or reschedules the port? It happens.

If it is symbolic rather than legal, cb at sea has a point. Pick a nice spot and enjoy. To make that legal, you could take a trip to the courthouse before or after. If you want it done by captain, I think you'd have to go through Royal Romance. You can plan a legal or symbolic wedding in one of the ports, but how unhappy will you be if ship misses or reschedules the port? It happens.

We saw that in Dec 2012 on Indy. There was a destination wedding scheduled for our stop in Nassau. Unfortunately, thought some snafu, there was no room for us in Nassau, so we went to Freeport instead.

I like the idea also of just renewing your own vows, by yourself in front of your family..............since you dont want to mess up your legal status.

Why not at sunset.

Scope out some decks for the best site for a couple days, and make your decision.

Congratulations, and let us know what you decided.

Sea Ya

Thanks for all the good suggestions. I was really hoping the captain could marry us at sea in the little chapel with our family present. I'd gladly pay $1000 but not $5000 for that to happen.

Really, other than "officially" being married, you may lose benefits, and what do you gain? I don't want to say bad move, but financially its a loser, spiritually it may have its benefits, the importance is up to you. Personally, I don't see the difference if your married or not, and 50 years from now nobody will care.

Play the game, keep your assets separate to protect them, you really need a financial planner or lawyer to offer advice.

My advice= Stay the way it is, you both have made a commitment, thats enough.