Help my husband's wardrobe, please

mrsmrb654

We're getting ready to go on our first cruise at the end of next month & I'm starting to think a little about clothing to make sure we have all the "right" things. I'm pretty well covered except maybe some shoes, but I think I can handle that.

My husband is a slightly different story. He has a suit for the formal nights. And casual nights are easy enough... he wears slacks & polo shirts daily for work. It's "smart casual" that I'm having a little bit of trouble with. Royal Caribbean's description is "jackets & ties for men" but the only jacket & tie he has are for his suit.

WWYD in our situation? Buy a new jacket? (suggestions welcome!) Get an extra shirt/tie & wear that with the suit jacket? Something I'm not thinking of?

Thanks!!

Hmm, I thought most cruiselines had moved away from 3 dress codes (our first HAL cruise together in 2006 they had formal, informal, and casual....)

I do love a sportscoat on a man with khakis and a button down or polo shirt. Loafers or boat shoes with no socks. I can't help it. I grew up in CT in the 80s. That look makes me happy.

Sadly, MY husband has always loved the Miami Vice look and as recently as last night told me how sad he was I got rid of his neon yellow jacket and tight white jeans:eek:

I do think he would probably be ok without a jacket (the RC website tells you as much when they say they cannot possibly enforce what everyone is wearing....) but they can usually be found in great shape at thrift stores and for good prices at stores like TJ Maxx, Nordstrom Rack, etc.

Hmm, I thought most cruiselines had moved away from 3 dress codes (our first HAL cruise together in 2006 they had formal, informal, and casual....)

I do love a sportscoat on a man with khakis and a button down or polo shirt. Loafers or boat shoes with no socks. I can't help it. I grew up in CT in the 80s. That look makes me happy.

Sadly, MY husband has always loved the Miami Vice look and as recently as last night told me how sad he was I got rid of his neon yellow jacket and tight white jeans:eek:

I do think he would probably be ok without a jacket (the RC website tells you as much when they say they cannot possibly enforce what everyone is wearing....) but they can usually be found in great shape at thrift stores and for good prices at stores like TJ Maxx, Nordstrom Rack, etc.

I was in college in the 80's and rocked the Miami Vice look, had 3 of the jackets, thanx for the flashback! :cool: I still wear a jacket with casual outfits on occasion just a little different style now, the wildest now is an old tuxedo jacket with a button down and jeans.

Edited by uncleg

Just to complicate matters further, each ship may have their own definition of "formal" or "smart casual." On Allure in January, FORMAL was a jacket for men and a dress for women. Not that plenty of people didn't dress to the nines, but you can't go by what the website says any more.

DH usually wears a long-sleeved shirt and nice slacks for smart casual. For casual it's the same pants but a polo shirt. Not a huge difference.:)

I was in college in the 80's and rocked the Miami Vice look, had 3 of the jackets, thanx for the flashback! :cool: I still wear a jacket with casual outfits on occasion just a little different style now, the wildest now is an old tuxedo jacket with a button down and jeans.

If you want to relive those days a little, the new Esquire TV network is doing reruns of Miami Vice!!! And, if you want to rock the mustache, Hawaiian shirt and really short shorts, they show Magnum, P.I. also ;)

Back to the ship dress: I really wouldn't sweat the details that much. I haven't done RCCL, but I can't imagine they enforce the "jacket for smart casual" any more than any other line. Which is, they don't… He'll be fine in a nice pair of chinos and a nice-looking polo. Or, throw in a nice, but casual button-down shirt - Tommy Bahama has some beautiful men's smart casual camp shirts (not all TB shirts are Hawaiian print ;) ) I always bought them for my now-ex. He'd wear them for business casual wear. Some of the solid colors would be perfect for a cruise!!!

We're getting ready to go on our first cruise at the end of next month & I'm starting to think a little about clothing to make sure we have all the "right" things. I'm pretty well covered except maybe some shoes, but I think I can handle that.

My husband is a slightly different story. He has a suit for the formal nights. And casual nights are easy enough... he wears slacks & polo shirts daily for work. It's "smart casual" that I'm having a little bit of trouble with. Royal Caribbean's description is "jackets & ties for men" but the only jacket & tie he has are for his suit.

WWYD in our situation? Buy a new jacket? (suggestions welcome!) Get an extra shirt/tie & wear that with the suit jacket? Something I'm not thinking of?

Thanks!!

I have been sailing RCI for a number of years now and the dress code is up to the Captain. While Smart Casual is still in RCI lexicon all the cruise I can remember have only 2 dress codes and they are either casual or formal. On non formal nights I wear nice shirt and pants.

If you happen to do the Chef's Table they "ask" as a formal occasion. I wore a sports jacket and tie as a change of pace from the other formal nights.

Shak

My husband wears a nicer suit, dress shirt and tie for formal night. On casual nights, he will wear a polo with khakis, or a button down shirt and khakis. Often times, they are the casual type of short sleeved shirt you wear untucked, but they are always tidy. On smart casual nights, he often wears a button down dress shirt and khaki style pants. He has a jacket he sometimes wears too.

I often find he dresses to go along with me, to a certain degree. I love to dress up, so sometimes my dresses aren't casual., regardless of what night it is. When that happens, he often throws on his jacket over a dress shirt.

With all that said (didn't mean to ramble!) your husband will look very nice in a polo and khakis on smart casual night!!!

• 2 weeks later...
If you want to relive those days a little, the new Esquire TV network is doing reruns of Miami Vice!!! And, if you want to rock the mustache, Hawaiian shirt and really short shorts, they show Magnum, P.I. also ;)

Back to the ship dress: I really wouldn't sweat the details that much. I haven't done RCCL, but I can't imagine they enforce the "jacket for smart casual" any more than any other line. Which is, they don't… He'll be fine in a nice pair of chinos and a nice-looking polo. Or, throw in a nice, but casual button-down shirt - Tommy Bahama has some beautiful men's smart casual camp shirts (not all TB shirts are Hawaiian print ;) ) I always bought them for my now-ex. He'd wear them for business casual wear. Some of the solid colors would be perfect for a cruise!!!

OMG! I could die! I was just home visiting my parents and my dad loves to watch reruns of Magnum P.I. When I saw those short shorts of his I got a stomachache LMAO!:D Then when my DB heard how funny I thought those shorts were...he comes over and showed us videos from the late 70s/early 80 where my DH was wearing the same shorts!:eek: It was so funny!:D

Back to the OP's situation...my DH wears khakis and polo shirts and never wears a jacket or tie on casual/smart casual nights.

Edited by mousey

OMG! I could die! I was just home visiting my parents and my dad loves to watch reruns of Magnum P.I. When I saw those short shorts of his I got a stomachache LMAO!:D Then when my DB heard how funny I thought those shorts were...he comes over and showed us videos from the late 70s/early 80 where my DH was wearing the same shorts!:eek: It was so funny!:D

Back to the OP's situation...my DH wears khakis and polo shirts and never wears a jacket or tie on casual/smart casual nights.

I have photos of our friends getting together back in the 80s in So Ca - the guys were all rocking the OP shorts (OP = Ocean Pacific). They were the guy's version of Daisy Dukes. Fortunately, the guys weren't in to "going commando" back then :eek:

I have photos of our friends getting together back in the 80s in So Ca - the guys were all rocking the OP shorts (OP = Ocean Pacific). They were the guy's version of Daisy Dukes. Fortunately, the guys weren't in to "going commando" back then :eek:

Sorry to stay off the topic but...do you remember the "Dolphin" shorts! Both women and men wore them...you couldn't bend over in them without showing your...well you get the drift!:eek::D

Sorry to stay off the topic but...do you remember the "Dolphin" shorts! Both women and men wore them...you couldn't bend over in them without showing your...well you get the drift!:eek::D

Oh yes. I had two pair of the running shorts - they were definitely SHORT.

Back on. Go with the chinos/khakis/linen pants and the short sleeve collared shirt of choice.

The good or bad news, depending on your perspective....the shorter shorts are coming back for men. My sons in fashion design and that's the rage for men. Not quite as short as magnums lol.

My hubby just changes the dressiness of his shirts for the different nights. He wears what I pick out to match me.....usually overdressed. But tommy Bahamas would be his choice for all occasions. But long sleeve dress shirts are nice for the dressier nights. When we do the chefs table or captains night , he wears a tux , but just for me.:cool:

Gotta love a man in a tux!:D

But the DH would never, unless it was absolutely mandatory, wear a tux on a cruise. He stopped wearing suits or jackets, or even a shirt w/tie years ago on our cruises. He always looks great though, he just doesn't get all dressed up. He always looks good to me!:D

And yes, short shorts, especially in swimwear is back in style, but the DH didn't go for it when I suggested he give it a try. The DS laughed at him one time when he thought the DH's golf shorts were too short. To the DS "shorts" come to just under the knees! Ugh!

Edited by mousey

We have been cruising for the past 10 years and have seen the change in formal nights. We used to take the suit, tie thing but now that airlines are charging for extra bags we no longer take a garment bag. Cruised on the Allure in March and saw everything from tux to jeans in the MDR on formal nights. We will be cruising Alaska in May with a pre cruise trip so we have to pare down our clothes to 1 large bag each for 2 weeks. My husband will take 1 nice pair of dress pants, 1 dress shirt and 2 ties for formal nights. Rest of time will be casual pants and polo shirts. Jersey knit dress for me that travels well and black pants and several tops. 1 Dressy top for black pants.

We have been cruising for the past 10 years and have seen the change in formal nights. We used to take the suit, tie thing but now that airlines are charging for extra bags we no longer take a garment bag. Cruised on the Allure in March and saw everything from tux to jeans in the MDR on formal nights. We will be cruising Alaska in May with a pre cruise trip so we have to pare down our clothes to 1 large bag each for 2 weeks. My husband will take 1 nice pair of dress pants, 1 dress shirt and 2 ties for formal nights. Rest of time will be casual pants and polo shirts. Jersey knit dress for me that travels well and black pants and several tops. 1 Dressy top for black pants.

For what it's worth, our Alaskan cruise had the most casually dressed people of all the cruises we've been on. Also, there were not a lot of people up and about much after 10p. I think it has to do with the next day's excursions being early in the am. At least that was the case for us. We sailed on the NCL Star if that makes any difference.

Hope you have any awesome cruise!:D

My H still brings a sportcoat on cruises for the dining room. Typically he wears it when flying so it doesn't add to the luggage weight. A sportcoat can go over a cloth shirt with or without a tie or over a polo shirt so spans that gap between casual and suit and tie. Maybe because we are alittle older, but still doesn't feel 'right' to go to a dining room with linens and formally set table dressed like we would for a chain restaurant. If you look, you can find really nice brand name navy sport coats for under $10 at Goodwill. In my opinion no man's wardrobe is complete without an all season navy sport coat.

He does bring a dark suit for formal nights, but no tuxes for him.

Edited by conwakr

My H still brings a sportcoat on cruises for the dining room. Typically he wears it when flying so it doesn't add to the luggage weight. A sportcoat can go over a cloth shirt with or without a tie or over a polo shirt so spans that gap between casual and suit and tie. Maybe because we are alittle older, but still doesn't feel 'right' to go to a dining room with linens and formally set table dressed like we would for a chain restaurant. If you look, you can find really nice brand name navy sport coats for under $10 at Goodwill. In my opinion no man's wardrobe is complete without an all season navy sport coat.

He does bring a dark suit for formal nights, but no tuxes for him.

My DH has a tuxedo that packs beautifully for formal nights. He never brings a jacket though he has a lovely navy blazer. I haven't seen a "smart casual" night in years. It's been either casual or formal.

He will wear dockers and either a knit shirt with a collar or a Hawaiian shirt. I get many of the Hawaiian shirts at thrift stores.

We don't sail Caribbean cruises any longer and the European cruise demographic tend to be inclined to dress up more for dinner than on the casual Caribbean cruises, still DH has not needed a jacket.