Booking a Haven suite with a connecting non haven balcony - Breakaway

Chesneygirl

Four of us are currently booked in a Haven aft suite which was all good but now my son wants to join us as well. Our suite has a connecting balcony and we are considering booking it to put all 3 kids in that cabin. As an FYI the kids are young adults two18 year olds and one 21 year old.

Has anyone recently done this type of set up?

Would they be able to take advantage of the Haven amenities such as the restaurant?

Would they be able to get a key card that allows them access to the Haven area?

Would they be able to check in with us on embarkation day?

Thanks for any input! :)

No, they won't have access to the Haven. I was able to do this on the Getaway last June, but that was before they changed policy where an adult had to be in every cabin with kids. When it was kids all under 18 in the connecting cabin, they allowed them access to the Haven.

I called in December about doing the exact thing you described and they said no, that could not happen anymore. I spoke to a supervisor and then that person't supervisor -- all the same answer.

Sorry! You could always try and call as well and see if you get a different answer. The aft balcony is totally amazing! If you want to make sure they can get into Haven, you could always change your room for the 2 BR in the courtyard -- might be a tight fit in 2nd bedroom, but at least you'd all be in Haven together.

What would be the price difference between booking the 3 in a balcony vs. booking 2 in a H9 and keeping 1 in the H6? If 2 were willing to share the sofabed in the H6, two could share the H9 king and 1 could sleep on the sofabed in the H6.

Everyone would have Haven access and 2 would have Spa access. If you are far enough out, Mom and Dad could "book" the H9 for the spa access but actually sleep in the H6. ;)

Thank you for the information and suggestions. :)

I did call NCL last night and they confirmed that the connecting balcony does not have Haven access which is really to bad. Theres only so many Haven suites that connect to a non haven room and I doubt that everyone booking one of these is looking to book the connecting room as well. So I understand what they are saying but don't fully agree with it.

One last question, assuming that we still get the connecting balcony, does anyone know if the kids would be able to do the Haven check in with us at the pier in NY? I would hate to get separated from the kids in all that madness!

I think the 2 bedroom would end up being cheaper or about the same price as the aft with the connecting balcony. Then everyone has Haven access with no questions asked. 2 boys were going to share couch in original aft configuration? With the 2 bedroom - 2 of the boys can sleep in the 2nd bedroom and 1 on the couch.

I think the 2 bedroom would end up being cheaper or about the same price as the aft with the connecting balcony. Then everyone has Haven access with no questions asked. 2 boys were going to share couch in original aft configuration? With the 2 bedroom - 2 of the boys can sleep in the 2nd bedroom and 1 on the couch.

I agree and this is what I would do also.

It is so much more fun when everyone is together. being apart for half the trip will definitely affect some in your group.

Last year I saw this same exact thing happen. Very unfortunate and it forces families to not be able to spend as much time together. I am referring to one Haven room and wanting the rest of the family to be connected & their choice was only to do 1 Haven room and one not.

It is understandable in this situation trying to see if connected non-Haven room could have same amenities. But I totally agree with the policy of NO. Imagine if everyone who could get a non-connecting Haven room asked this. The Haven would be packed. People staying in the Haven pay a premium for the amenities. It is one thing with small children but adults is another thing.

I agree that it would be better to get the 2 bedroom Haven suite if you could.

If not, I would max out the occupancy in your Haven room. This way most of your family has technical Haven access.

I think dining in the Haven restaurant will be no problem. You can add guests for an additional fee.

I agree to send the kids to Vibe. It a much nicer set up than the Haven outdoor sun deck. The Haven outdoor sundeck is ridiculously small as in so small and limited it creates chair hogs on the HAVEN DECK!!, and then there is a good sized smoking section (in an already very small space!!) and then there is no bar up there! I think they will be very happy with the Vibe access, spacious, bar, no need for any sort of chair hogging because there is plenty of room!

I think if you explain the situation to the Concierge, your children, even in a non haven room will be included with you for priority disembark in port, for Haven seating in the theaters and the other nice perks.

Still not sure how we are going to handle this. The reason I hesitate on a 2 bedroom suite is because I'm a very early riser (5am) and to have my son on the pull out couch in the main living room area is not very appealing to me while I'm trying to enjoy my morning coffee. Then there's the 2nd bedroom/bathroom set up with 2 teenage girls and my 21 year old son is probably not going to be a pleasant scene when everyone is trying to get ready.

This is why the H6 aft with 2 bathrooms and a connectng balcony with another bathroom and sleeping space would of been ideal. When you pay an X amount of dollars for a Haven suite that happens to have a connecting cabin, I don't see the big deal as to why they can't extend the Haven amenities. Otherwise, whats the point in having a connecting balcony to a Haven suite??

I've considered putting my son in a solo cabin but that doesn't feel right to me. We should all be able to stay together.

I'm feeling really disappointed in NCL's unwillingness to accommodate us....so much so that I am considering cancelling the cruise and doing a 9 day on the Anthem of the Seas. Our final payment is due on March 4th, so I have another week to think about what we are going to do.

This is why the H6 aft with 2 bathrooms and a connectng balcony with another bathroom and sleeping space would of been ideal. When you pay an X amount of dollars for a Haven suite that happens to have a connecting cabin, I don't see the big deal as to why they can't extend the Haven amenities. Otherwise, whats the point in having a connecting balcony to a Haven suite??

In my opinion, they've regretted having the connecting balcony room to the H6/H7.

On BA/GA...(13)

deck 9 (H6 and H7)

deck 10 (H6)

deck 11 (H7)

deck 12 (H6)

deck 13 (one H7 and H6)

...all connect to a balcony stateroom

On Escape...(7)

deck 9 (H7)

deck 11 (H7)

deck 13 (one H7)

deck 14 (H6)

...connect to a balcony stateroom.

Bliss (if the deck plans are accurate) also only has 7 Haven to balcony connections.

I think what was happening was 2 families of 4 (each 2 adults and 2 minors) would cram the 4 adults into the Haven stateroom and book the 4 minors in the connecting. The families would move around/switch however they saw fit but all 8 would have Haven access even though only 4 (sometimes 2) were charged Haven prices. Now that an adult has to be in each stateroom, it doesn't "work" the same way.

I think what was happening was 2 families of 4 (each 2 adults and 2 minors) would cram the 4 adults into the Haven stateroom and book the 4 minors in the connecting. The families would move around/switch however they saw fit but all 8 would have Haven access even though only 4 (sometimes 2) were charged Haven prices. Now that an adult has to be in each stateroom, it doesn't "work" the same way.

I was just writing this!!! The issue with allowing Haven access to the connecting cabin is that like everything else people will abuse it. OP wants to move her 18+ year old kids in there and give them Haven access. Who decides who they make exceptions for and how do they decide? 4 adults could book themselves in a Haven aft suite and then book the connecting cabin for their kids just so everyone can get Haven access. Where do they draw the line?

OP - you were going to have both of the other kids on the couch in the aft cabin so I'm not seeing how you being an early riser is a problem in the 2 bedroom when it wasn't in the aft cabin.

I was just writing this!!! The issue with allowing Haven access to the connecting cabin is that like everything else people will abuse it. OP wants to move her 18+ year old kids in there and give them Haven access. Who decides who they make exceptions for and how do they decide? 4 adults could book themselves in a Haven aft suite and then book the connecting cabin for their kids just so everyone can get Haven access. Where do they draw the line?

OP - you were going to have both of the other kids on the couch in the aft cabin so I'm not seeing how you being an early riser is a problem in the 2 bedroom when it wasn't in the aft cabin.

Totally agree

Chesneygirl- I guess the question to ask yourself is, "How will your family use the Haven?" You can eat together for a fee. They can share in your daily treats (shhhh). You can't board together or have priority disembarkation together, but if you take an excursion together you will. How often will your kids want to hang in the Haven? Do they prefer action and meeting others? I know my 15 and 18 yr old girls do not hang out in the Haven, except for meals. Only us old folk do! Best of luck with this tough decision. I'm interested to know what you do and how it works out.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

If I was your son I would want a Studio, who wants to bunk with your sister and her friend, share the bathroom etc.....forget it. What if he meets a girl on the cruise, having a studio would be great!!!!!:evilsmile:

Just get the poor kid a studio and be done with it, he will thank you!

Edited by Laszlo

You could put you and your husband and the 21 yr old and one 18 year old in the haven aft. The third and fourth might be free depending on the date. You would want to be a third or fourth in that room. Then you would also book another room with the other 18 year old. You personally will in essence be paying twice (except hopefully you were Free in the haven). You will be charged two port taxes too. You and the 18 yr old in that cabin will have haven access Bc you are also in a haven room and she is under 21. It can be an inside cabin or whatever you choose. Does not need to adjoin. This must be done by a supervisor. It will cause some hassles at embark Bc they will need to take you out of the haven for roll call purposes but will still give you a haven key card. you can all check in in the haven area. Good luck! But I am confused as to why you can't just put the two 18 year olds in the adjoined cabin - I thought the rule was that an adult needed to be in there u less it was adjoined. They would have haven accesss Bc under 21 and your kids.

Edited by schildiams

Last I checked it was under 18 not under 21 for Haven access, so I wouldn't depend on that working...

You could put you and your husband and the 21 yr old and one 18 year old in the haven aft. The third and fourth might be free depending on the date. You would want to be a third or fourth in that room. Then you would also book another room with the other 18 year old. You personally will in essence be paying twice (except hopefully you were Free in the haven). You will be charged two port taxes too. You and the 18 yr old in that cabin will have haven access Bc you are also in a haven room and she is under 21. It can be an inside cabin or whatever you choose. Does not need to adjoin. This must be done by a supervisor. It will cause some hassles at embark Bc they will need to take you out of the haven for roll call purposes but will still give you a haven key card. you can all check in in the haven area. Good luck! But I am confused as to why you can't just put the two 18 year olds in the adjoined cabin - I thought the rule was that an adult needed to be in there u less it was adjoined. They would have haven accesss Bc under 21 and your kids.