Best cruise line for Alaska?

angelmomma530

I have priced Princess, Disney and Royal C. Taxes + fees are higher (almost double) for Princess & RC plus you have to add the beverage package. I think I am back to DCL.

Thanks for your input.

Since you've done the research, would you mind sharing the differences in price broken down?

I have priced Princess, Disney and Royal C. Taxes + fees are higher (almost double) for Princess & RC plus you have to add the beverage package. I think I am back to DCL.

Thanks for your input.

But have you looked at the ITINERARIES? Port times? Glacier sailings? Don't pick a cruise to Alaska bases on how much soda will cost...

But have you looked at the ITINERARIES? Port times? Glacier sailings? Don't pick a cruise to Alaska bases on how much soda will cost...

Lol right?? I chose my itenarary based on 1. travel time to port, 2. Length of cruise 3. Glacier Bay included. 4. Cruise is during the week of my birthday. My cruise is perfect, and within my budget---big plus. Soda was not part of my decision lol

I also understand that you have to keep the kids happy, but really, that should not be the deciding factor in booking a cruise. It is YOUR cruise and if your kids are fortunate enough that you take them along, you just shouldn't pick your ship based on what they want. Do it the way YOU want. Check out which itineraries are best for everyone, which gives you the most time in certain ports and, as has been mentioned, Princess does cruise Glacier Bay. That, in itself, should help make it an easier decision. Not on who gives what drinks packages.

Cheers

Len

What about Celebrity for an Alaskan cruise? Anyone know how that compares to the others mentioned? Can they get as close to the glaciers as Princess? Researching now and really torn which line to choose...

Celebrity does not have permits to go to Glacier Bay.

As far as getting close to the glaciers (I assume you are meaning Hubbard Glacier), it is completely up to the Captain and weather conditions as far as how close you get.

My stock answer to this question is there really is no one best. The best is an itinerary and date that best meets your interests and objectives. If I was cruising with children I would likely choose Disney otherwise I would likely go with Princess or one of the other mass market lines.

Celebrity does not have permits to go to Glacier Bay.

As far as getting close to the glaciers (I assume you are meaning Hubbard Glacier), it is completely up to the Captain and weather conditions as far as how close you get.

Thank you - that's a pretty crucial piece if information! Looks like it's going to be Princess for us. :)

We chose southbound on celebrity. Love the itinerary. Does 4 ports versus 3 with a lot of time on each.

Have done several Disney cruises would never choose it for Alaska. DCL is all about the ship not the sights or ports besides castaway cay!

Alaska should be bout the scenery and port stops and length of time at each!

Just my 2 cents

We chose southbound on celebrity. Love the itinerary. Does 4 ports versus 3 with a lot of time on each.

Have done several Disney cruises would never choose it for Alaska. DCL is all about the ship not the sights or ports besides castaway cay!

Alaska should be bout the scenery and port stops and length of time at each!

Just my 2 cents

The reason I like Princess is that they have 2 glacier days on their North and South bound itineraries. I love the glaciers and if you only have one glacier and miss it, it is a huge disappointment (my first Alaskan cruise).

I would not choose Disney. Their itineraries are usually the weakest.

Edited by Coral

The reason I like Princess is that they have 2 glacier days on their North and South bound itineraries. I love the glaciers and if you only have one glacier and miss it, it is a huge disappointment (my first Alaskan cruise).

I would not choose Disney. Their itineraries are usually the weakest.

I am a little concerned about missing our 1 glacier! However, went for cruisetour and extra port!

I am a little concerned about missing our 1 glacier! However, went for cruisetour and extra port!

Wishing you the best! Celebrity has great naturalists onboard.

Besides, people say they will only visit once. I said that once..... :)

Due to severe nausea when flying or as a passenger in a car, my husband has never joined me on a cruise - but says he will next year for Alaska. I have been researching in order to plan for this momentous occasion. In another thread I was wisely advised about rough waters in the Gulf of Alaska portion of the 7 day (North or South cruise). I was unaware of this, believing if I choose the inward passage from Vancouver I would "miss" the rough open waters. Another comment mentioned feeling "dizzy" for 4 days after sailing through this portion! Just what I would need if we continued with the land portion :( - my husband would be miserable and so would I.

By the time we cruise I will be at Platinum level for Princess (and why I think this should be part of my evaluation I don't know, but it has been). I also have really been impressed with what I thought was a great sea-land option provided by Princess and it's lodges. I have never considered Holland America, but yesterday I went to a Travel Show here in Las Vegas and HAL gave an Alaska - Land presentation. In this presentation was an option where the cruise leaves out of Vancouver, sails 3 days only (staying inside the passage only to Skagway), then a land portion going into Denali and the Yukon is available.

If there are any comments or recommendations - I am all ears!

Thank you in advance for your time.:)

I have never considered Holland America, but yesterday I went to a Travel Show here in Las Vegas and HAL gave an Alaska - Land presentation. In this presentation was an option where the cruise leaves out of Vancouver, sails 3 days only (staying inside the passage only to Skagway), then a land portion going into Denali and the Yukon is available.

Having done the full 7 night cruise several times, I would not consider spending only 3 days on the ship. Do the full 7 night cruise and land portion.

As far as rough seas, I have done a ton of cruises in Alaska and this is unpredictable. I have had very smooth seas and then other times, I have had 1 rough day on the day next to embarking or disembarking in Vancouver. Chances are, it won't be bad but be prepared.

My stock answer to this question is there really is no one best. The best is an itinerary and date that best meets your interests and objectives.

Bingo. Alaskan cruise line discussions always spark interesting comments, like choose cruise line A over cruise line B because cruise line A has been there longer. To this day, I don't know how that makes one bit of difference.

The best thing to do with Alaska is figure out what itinerary you want and then choose the ship best suited for your likes.

Due to severe nausea when flying or as a passenger in a car, my husband has never joined me on a cruise - but says he will next year for Alaska. I have been researching in order to plan for this momentous occasion. In another thread I was wisely advised about rough waters in the Gulf of Alaska portion of the 7 day (North or South cruise). I was unaware of this, believing if I choose the inward passage from Vancouver I would "miss" the rough open waters. Another comment mentioned feeling "dizzy" for 4 days after sailing through this portion! Just what I would need if we continued with the land portion :( - my husband would be miserable and so would I.

By the time we cruise I will be at Platinum level for Princess (and why I think this should be part of my evaluation I don't know, but it has been). I also have really been impressed with what I thought was a great sea-land option provided by Princess and it's lodges. I have never considered Holland America, but yesterday I went to a Travel Show here in Las Vegas and HAL gave an Alaska - Land presentation. In this presentation was an option where the cruise leaves out of Vancouver, sails 3 days only (staying inside the passage only to Skagway), then a land portion going into Denali and the Yukon is available.

The Yukon trips are wonderful but you are still going to be flying into or out of Anchorage on the front or back end. I would recommend the land tour first so that you get four days on the ship and include glacier bay. I also recommend two nights in Dawson City and of course two in Denali.

I do not know much about Princess itineraries but it seems like going into Whittier might be less time in the Gulf of Alaska as opposed to the much more scenic Seward.