Premium economy suggestions or tips

floralscent

We are cruising Sydney to Auckland in December and are originating from Minneapolis. Due to the distance we prefer to fly premium economy if we feel the value is there. Although we are Delta Skymile members we don't want to fly Delta due to the not so good reviews of their premium economy seats and don't have near enough miles for Business class.

We are considering Air NZ because we love their premium economy concept. Does anyone have experience on other airlines, aside from Air NZ, that has great premium seats? I have read many threads on CC about premium economy but most seem a bit out of date so I was hoping for more recent info.

We are considering using Delta miles from MSP to LAX or SFO and the reverse but flying Air NZ or another airline from LAX/SFOto SYD/AKL to LAX/SFO. Does anyone have any suggestions, tips or input as to an airline for comfy seats or maybe some tips for finding a decent price on great seats for the long haul? We have flown MSP to VCE in Delta coach before but prefer to upgrade for this trip.

Thanks so much in advance!

Read up here, maybe:

http://thepointsguy.com/2012/07/travel-tuesday-top-10-international-premium-economy-seats-and-how-you-can-use-miles-to-fly-them/

I just looked on ITA for November (can't see January yet) and was surprised to see some Qantas PE itineraries from LAX to AKL for around $2200 round trip, not a bad deal given Qantas' product. The flights to/from Sydney or Brisbane would be in PE, the trans-Tasman sectors in business.

Incidentally, that would earn you a slug of American Airlines miles while you were at it.

Although we are Delta Skymile members we don't want to fly Delta due to the not so good reviews of their premium economy seats and don't have near enough miles for Business class.

We are considering using Delta miles from MSP to LAX or SFO and the reverse but flying Air NZ or another airline from LAX/SFOto SYD/AKL to LAX/SFO. Does anyone have any suggestions, tips or input as to an airline for comfy seats or maybe some tips for finding a decent price on great seats for the long haul? We have flown MSP to VCE in Delta coach before but prefer to upgrade for this trip.

Thanks so much in advance!

The poor reviews you've read for DL premium economy is likely due to the fact that DL does not have premium economy. What they offer is economy comfort, which is NOT a true "premium economy" product. I suspect people buy that thinking they are getting something more akin to business class, and then when they realize it's not, they think it's terrible. Know what you're buying and set expectations accordingly. DL economy comfort gets you a few more inches of legroom and a little bit more seat recline. Is it absolutely a step up from economy? Yes, for usually a relatively small price. Is it close to business class comfort? No way.

Someone else can probably give you info on other airlines that have may have a true premium economy product to/from Australia/NZ from the west coast.

Incidentally, that would earn you a slug of American Airlines miles while you were at it.

This is an important point, which really should be part of your decision-making process. Your 2 main options, Qantas and Air New Zealand, would earn you miles in your preferred Oneworld or Star Alliance FF program; maybe enough even for a free domestic flight. Certainly something to consider.

Virgin Australia would be an option that would earn you SkyMiles. Routing would be LAX through either Brisbane (BNE) or Sydney (SYD). From AKL, you would first go to Australia, then back to the USA.

Is it the easist way....nope. Does VA have a quality product -I believe so, from seeing it (though was in business). Here are the published specs on their premium economy seating on the 777.

International Premium Economy

• 40 seats
  • 2-4-2 configuration
  • 96.5cm (38in) seat pitch
  • 49.5cm (19.5in) seat width
  • 20.3cm (8in) recline
  • Seatback in-flight entertainment system, with 25.4cm (10in) screen

Unfortunately, you can't book a DL award ticket into premium economy. Also, you would get MQM on a VA ticket, but no MQD. So see if you can book the flights using a DL code to get the MQD if that's important. Be SURE to read the VA Skymiles rules before buying a ticket - you can evaluate whether it's better to buy it with a VA or DL code.

Further, if you buy it with a DL code, you can see what a through fare would be from MSP, perhaps saving you using your SkyPesos for a separate ticket.

Finally...remember that if you buy two separate tickets, and not just with DL, you are NOT protected if your first flight is delayed/cancelled and you have a misconnection. You may also not be able to get through baggage check and you may be paying separate baggage fees. If you don't get through baggage check, you'll have to retrieve your luggage then re-check at the second airline. Is it worth it? Only you can decide.

This is an important point, which really should be part of your decision-making process. Your 2 main options, Qantas and Air New Zealand, would earn you miles in your preferred Oneworld or Star Alliance FF program; maybe enough even for a free domestic flight. Certainly something to consider.

I agree that I don't want to miss out of the FF mile if at all possible. However, DL is part of Skyteam Alliance which is not part of Air New Zealand or Qantas. Unless I'm mistaken. Mi guess we could always join another program so we could accumulate miles.

It's interesting how complicated things can get when searching for flights.

Thank you!

I agree that I don't want to miss out of the FF mile if at all possible. However, DL is part of Skyteam Alliance which is not part of Air New Zealand or Qantas. Unless I'm mistaken. Mi guess we could always join another program so we could accumulate miles.

It's interesting how complicated things can get when searching for flights.

Thank you!

If you're a committed Skyteam flyer, then I would definitely follow Flyertalker's advice. As a reference, searching flights to Australia a few months ago for my aunt I was finding lots of options on Delta.com than included VA flights on the TPAC segment, so you should be able to find options that would include premium economy on the VA segment.

If you're a committed Skyteam flyer, then I would definitely follow Flyertalker's advice. As a reference, searching flights to Australia a few months ago for my aunt I was finding lots of options on Delta.com than included VA flights on the TPAC segment, so you should be able to find options that would include premium economy on the VA segment.
One issue is that DL does not have its own PE product, so their website is not well configured to look for PE on partners and codeshares. It brings back results for business and coach well, but PE...?? Probably would require a phone call to Delta AFTER doing research on Matrix and the VA website itself.

And, as a tip to all....DL has probably the best award availability around in business to Australia and NZ through those VA flights. You will often find those available when the DL flights are priced at the higher SkyPesos level. Just be willing to take the Brisbane flight which doesn't get the demand of the Sydney service. And if going to SYD, just connect at BNE and you're there.

VA doesn't have the pods like DL does on their 777s, but the inflight service is top-notch (including pajamas and flat beds) AND the bar area has Balvenie Doublewood for your beverage pleasure. Not quite the level of the Johnnie Walker Blue served on Thai first class, but still nice.

For the experts:

If it was a choice between Emirates economy and Lufthanse PE, which would you choose and why? Emirates would be on 77W & 388 and Lufthansa a 747-8 & 388, both international long haul flights with connections.

Just trying to price out on this year's flights ready for next year (I realise much can change, however it will give us a rough idea whether the cruise is feasible or not ;)).

Many thanks.

All things being equal Lufthansa Premium Economy without doubt.

I can't think of any premium economy product (except Air Transat perhaps) where the premium economy cabin is worse than cattle on another carrier.

All things being equal Lufthansa Premium Economy without doubt.
I would be surprised if the Emirates coach priced the same as LH premium economy. But I've seen these kinds of anomalies.
I can't think of any premium economy product (except Air Transat perhaps) where the premium economy cabin is worse than cattle on another carrier.
DING DING DING, we have a winner!! Take this one to the bank.

Versus regular coach, is PE better....damned right. No question. Now, is it worth the price premium....only the individual can decide. Just like the price premium question for business or first.

FWIW, a very recent review of LH PE on a 748 is at THIS LINK. Can't speak to the 380 product.

Thanks for the link and replies :).

To be honest, when I put in the dates for this year on LH, the price difference was minimal from their economy to PE. Since those prices first came out, the cost has risen considerably (I talking about an extra 50% :eek:). Was it an error or did they have a certain amount of tickets at that price that sold very quickly :confused:? Is this a usual occurrence: initially put a few seats on at a very competitive price and then rise them sharply? Shocked further at this is peak season :confused:.

No doubt knowing my luck, as it's a relatively new concept for LH, they will have learnt from this year and next year's prices will be soaring :p.

We found this on our trip to Australia/NZ this year so we booked exit seats in economy with Singapore airlines for an extra $500 for both of us on the A380 in the upper deck which is highly rated & a significant saving on PE. I also have a star alliance gold card so we can use all the lounges etc

Since those prices first came out, the cost has risen considerably (I talking about an extra 50% :eek:). Was it an error or did they have a certain amount of tickets at that price that sold very quickly :confused:? Is this a usual occurrence: initially put a few seats on at a very competitive price and then rise them sharply? Shocked further at this is peak season :confused:.

No doubt knowing my luck, as it's a relatively new concept for LH, they will have learnt from this year and next year's prices will be soaring :p.

Airlines don't intentionally decide to sell a set number at one price and when they're gone, raise the price and drastically more expensive tickets. From day 1, they want to get as much as they can for every seat. Likely what happened is that all of their data indicated a certain price would sell. When it sold more quickly than they anticipated, they realized demand was greater than they anticipated and raised the price. It might go down again later or it might go up further. It largely depends on supply and demand, and airlines used complicated algorithms to try to maximize their revenue with that in mind.

We found this on our trip to Australia/NZ this year so we booked exit seats in economy with Singapore airlines for an extra $500 for both of us on the A380 in the upper deck which is highly rated & a significant saving on PE. I also have a star alliance gold card so we can use all the lounges etc

We flew Singapore Airlines last time to Oz and they were great - also booked seats upstairs in economy, fabulous flight - loved the bins:). We could also use our miles towards the flights (are in their FF program). Only problem is whenever I put Hong Kong in their website (1st destination of the open jaw), they only offer via SIN, and I don't want to double back on myself (so to speak). No doubt someone on here will tell me how to get round this, we usually do book directly with the airline :D.

Both Emirates and LH fly from our local airport, LH would be better as not only does it offer PE, but it's part of the Star Alliance group. We've got plenty of time to sort until next year, however, our travelling companions wanted pricing from this year to decide whether the whole trip would be feasible for them ;).

Have you seen the Air New Zealand video on YouTube? Air New Zealand's innovative Premium Economy Seating. It will take a lot of beating! Then refer to http://www.seatguru.com for an overall plan. Do you want Inner Space seating or Outer Space seating that is the question.

Regards John

Don't want to go that way around, if you know what I mean (time constraints) :D.

Thanks, Waterbug. I realise it's supply and demand, but was shocked how much it increased over such a short period of time :eek:. Obviously pax were waiting for the flights to open. Throughout the year, I will be keeping my eye on those prices to see whether they ever do come down to anywhere near those initial costings ;).

Unless they have changed it in the last two years, my big beef with NZ premium economy is that there is not foot rest --- unless you count the silly little purple beanbag. Yes, the seat was nice, the service fine and the wines lovely but on a 12 hour flight I would have been truly miserable if I had not had a small carry on bag to put in front of my seat so I could raise my legs. Do be warned. I am not sure I would pay as much extra as I did given that drawback.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Unless they have changed it in the last two years, my big beef with NZ premium economy is that there is not foot rest --- unless you count the silly little purple beanbag. Yes, the seat was nice, the service fine and the wines lovely but on a 12 hour flight I would have been truly miserable if I had not had a small carry on bag to put in front of my seat so I could raise my legs. Do be warned. I am not sure I would pay as much extra as I did given that drawback.

I read about the foot rest, and bought two of these. I've already used mine on Southwest and really liked it. I think I'll put there's on top of mine:

http://smile.amazon.com/Design-Luggage-Foot-Rest-Grey/dp/B0029ZP2RA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1422930648&sr=8-1&keywords=inflatable+footrest&pebp=1422930667539&peasin=B0029ZP2RA

Singapore Airlines has announced their new premium economy class. They are launching this new product in August this year, for Singapore-Sydney flights.

I believe the product will be progressively rolled out across the SQ fleet.

Here is the marketing website.

http://siapremiumeconomy.com/

A pitch for Singapore Airlines economy - I share some flight review videos that I made.

Singapore Airlines A380 London to Singapore - Darth Vader Cameo

[YOUTUBE]9DQ1rE2-T8Q[/YOUTUBE]

Singapore Airlines A380 SQ 308 - Singapore to London in Economy

[YOUTUBE]rBr4A0a1WaA[/YOUTUBE]

Edited by Iluvcruising2

I am not sure that 'footrest' would do much more than their beanbag, In order to sleep well I really need to have my legs raised up almost to waist level. The only other PE I have experienced was SAS and they had a pretty decent leg rest.