Over the door organizers

cruz4evr

Do you take an over the door organizer on cruises, and if so can you recommend a good one? I noticed several organizers on Amazon that get favorable ratings but want to make certain there are no issues with the hooks when closing the bathroom door. Any advice would be appreciated! :)

Edited by cruz4evr

Do you take an over the door organizer on cruises, and if so can you recommend a good one? I noticed several organizers on Amazon that get favorable ratings but want to make certain there are no issues with the hooks when closing the bathroom door. Any advice would be appreciated! :)

Just a note here, on DCL, you can't use the over the door holders. Well, at least you can't hang them on the doors. Used to be allowed, but the hooks were causing damage (scratching and forcing doors out of alignment). People can bring them and hang them from the hooks in the rooms, however, just not over the doors.

Discard the hooks.

We use a piece of string (or braided dental floss) and hang it on the hook.

No reason why the string cannot be used one the doorknob on the other side.

We've never needed or used the over-door organizers but for those who do, this is a good idea. Bring along a small length of cord or string of some sort.

Obviously opinions vary and these are on many of the hundreds of "must take" lists on CC but my wife and I never have any problems finding places to put our stuff. Just another totally useless piece of junk in my opinion along with most of the other stuff on the "must have" lists.

DON

We've never needed or used the over-door organizers but for those who do, this is a good idea. Bring along a small length of cord or string of some sort.

Normally with two in the cabin we don't. With three, maybe. Depends on the ship and cabin.

We have used the holders as nightstands for an upper bunk. On Carnival there are hooks next to the uppers.

I have become a "no frills" packer but I love the over-the-door holders

So far, we have a sheap Shoe Bag for ship cards, cameras, tip$$ etc. etc - avoids clutter all over tables and counter tops and searching every time we get ready to leave the suite.

I discovered a roll-up, clear bag, with zippered pockets hiding in my luggage pile,great for cosmetics, toiletries, and meds. NO MORE "junk drawers" or digging through a "bag" and easy to pack when going home.

I hang the bags on hangers in the closet.

There are some amazing bags offered by LL Bean - just keep forgetting to order or, I am just too cheap:D

I find those organizer things to be big and bulky for packing.

We've never had any reason for more space than the shelves and drawers provided.

What exactly are people keeping in those anyway? :confused:

I find those organizer things to be big and bulky for packing.

We've never had any reason for more space than the shelves and drawers provided.

What exactly are people keeping in those anyway? :confused:

Ours are thin vinyl from the Dollar Tree and have five or six pockets.

The bulkier ones can be cut.;)

When I get the bunk it becomes my nightstand. Once I'm up there I only come down for one reason.

When I get the bunk it becomes my nightstand. Once I'm up there I only come down for one reason.

The Dollar Tree ones barely weigh an ounce and are flat as a piece of cardboard, bought the cheapies in case I didn't like them, now do not cruise without them

Opinions Vary :)

I also bought a small one at the Dollar Tree with 5 pockets. It just a has rope loop that I either hang on a hook in the cabin or I bring suction cup hooks and hang it on the mirror in the cabin. I put things that I use daily in it such as camera, sunglasses, key card, dollar bills for room service tips. Packs flat so it's not bulky at all~ some like them some don't it's up to you to decide if you will use it.

Obviously opinions vary and these are on many of the hundreds of "must take" lists on CC but my wife and I never have any problems finding places to put our stuff. Just another totally useless piece of junk in my opinion along with most of the other stuff on the "must have" lists.

DON

100% agree. Just another useless piece of must have junk that clutters a cabin. Have never run out of space in the bathroom, keep valuables in the safe, and all of our cabins have always had furniture with drawers for storage.

There is just DH and I so I've never had the need for one, not even on a 33 day cruise.

My GF brought a ton of shoes and it was helpful to have the extra space for them along with places for some odds & ends. Got mine at Bed Bath & Beyond The hooks were a little large ( wide by about 1") for the Carnival Closet doors and the unit was too long for the bottom hook to work . I never tried them on the main cabin door.

We also use the cheap one from the dollar store. As Alliezona said, it's up to you if you want to use/have one. On NCL I just put it over the hooks on the wall across from the bathroom door. Although we don't "need" it, it's a handy place for things we want to grab as we leave the cabin (sunglasses, camera, lists) and we use the bottom row for items we don't want left in the bathroom all the time such as hairbrush or spray.

Mine is attached to a sturdy hanger with zip ties. It goes in the closet.

Rain ponchos, post-it notes and pens, playing cards, stuff for M&G (mardi gras beads), flashlight, chargers and data cords for phones/kindles/camera, sunglasses, paperback books, hats (rolled up), curling iron, DHs belts and ties, laundry detergent packets, seasick bands/bonine, lanyards, sunscreen and bug spray, snorkels/swim masks, first aid kit, etc.

Everything BUT shoes goes in there!

Really? I had no idea. I've only seen the very large ones at Target and would never even consider taking them in a suitcase.

Still never needed them as I haven't had to be in a top bunk and find the ship supplied cupboards more than adequate, however your idea of a nightstand is a good one.

Some people find no value in them. We've been using them for about 10 years now for both land vacations (both weekend or week long trips) and cruises and we love them. To each his own.

I have a cheapie that cost me about $5 and we use it in our travels at least 7-8 times a year, if not more. I never empty it out and had a bar placed in my closet to hold it when we are home so I can replenish as needed. It folds up fully loaded and fits right into a rolling backpack. When we get to our destination we just unfold it out of our rolling backpack and hang it up. Less than a minute and done.

No unpacking is needed and we know where everything is. OTC Medicines and First Aid Kit fill the top row. 2nd row contains misc. items like zip ties, small can of air freshener, small can of Lysol, small bottle of wrinkle releaser, stain stick, small roll of duck tape (which we did use on our last cruise to fix a broken suitcase), hi-lighters, sticky notes, lanyards, mini stapler, cork screw (from NCL) and bottle opener (from CCL), suntan lotions, bug spray, and playing cards. Third row contains personal care items like razors, lotion, deodorant, tooth paste/brushes/dental floss, eyeglasses, contact solutions. The last row contains makeup, manicure set/polish/remover pads and hair care items. Since I don't unload it they are always in the same place so we know right where to find them. It also makes it easy to see when we need to replenish and/or replace for our next trip.

IMHO (and that of DH) it is one of the best travel purchases we have ever made. It is easy and convenient and we love being able to put it up and be done, both when we get to our travel destination and when we get home.

Edited by Warm Breezes

Spent 6 months solid on CC before my first cruise and got heaps of great advice including items I should bring. The only two recommendations that I chose not to take were the door hanger and duck tape.

I was in an inside cabin with two teenagers and I found there was heaps of storage space. I did not need a door hanger.

But each to their own. They don't cost much, so why not just take it along and see for yourself.