...new gratuity guideline October 9, 2014 on...

SoCalKJ

I was pricing little weekend getaways for the next few months...thought my mock totals were kinda weird (not substantial, but off, no-less) between the first weekend in October and the weekend before Thanksgiving...sho'nuff...

As per the Carnival website FAQ page...

Voyages departing October 9, 2014 onward; the total amount is $12.00 per guest, per day and breakdown as follows:

• Stateroom service team $3.90 per day

• Dining room service team $6.10 per day

• Alternative services team* $2.00 per day

(*galley, entertainment, guest services and other hotel staff members)

Am I the last to discover this or has this been in the works for a while?

(I'm a good and dutiful tipper. I always pay the prepaid guideline and extra to those who are extra-amazing during the cruise. This ain't a judgment post, more just an observation.)

Edited by SoCalKJ

Are you checking the West Coast cruises? The port fees have been bouncing between $65pp & $75pp.

A double whammy-- increase in port fees and an increase in grats. At least the grats only amount to $2pp for the 4day.

Edited by SadieN

Are you checking the West Coast cruises? The port fees have been bouncing between $65pp & $75pp.

A double whammy-- increase in port fees and an increase in grats. At least the grats only amount to $2pp for the 4day.

An extra 2 bucks ain't gonna break us...the port fees do seem to be inconsistent, though, at times (sometimes we get port/OBC credit...a few times it was $7.90/person and once it was 55 cents!! LOL!)...it was just weird.

I had paid off my Feb. cruise and gratuities 3 months ago. Wonder if they are going to come back and charge me the extra $2 pp per day?:D

It is only up about $ 0.50 per day but you are grandfathered in. Or in your case perhaps grandmothered.:):)

I was pricing little weekend getaways for the next few months...thought my mock totals were kinda weird (not substantial, but off, no-less) between the first weekend in October and the weekend before Thanksgiving...sho'nuff...

Voyages departing October 9, 2014 onward; the total amount is $12.00 per guest, per day and breakdown as follows:

The $10 daily tips are now made easy, but I wish the breakdown was $4/$6 instead of this, so that I don't need to find the calculator function on my iPhone.

I'm cruising in September... And I always tip extra -- so this will have little impact!

I can understand those trying to squeeze a cruise into an already tight budget -- but I hope an extra fifty cents won't be too hard!! ... and I'm sincere when I say that!! I think cruises are like medicine, you need them!!!

Try to find that right cruise and ENJOY!!!

It is only up about $ 0.50 per day but you are grandfathered in. Or in your case perhaps grandmothered.:):)

Just "mothered" in right now - unless dd23 (unmarried) isn't telling me something...:eek:

I can understand those trying to squeeze a cruise into an already tight budget -- but I hope an extra fifty cents won't be too hard!!

I still wish they would just add the grats up-front into the price of the cruise as part of the cruise fare. I still know of people who remove the grats and tip nothing at all - not even cash for good service - because they feel the "pay enough" for the cruise already. (one of them being a friend with 5 in her family - AND they just went on one of the free offer cruises - and STILL didn't tip at all. Disgusts me....

An extra 2 bucks ain't gonna break us...the port fees do seem to be inconsistent, though, at times (sometimes we get port/OBC credit...a few times it was $7.90/person and once it was 55 cents!! LOL!)...it was just weird.

Haven't received any credit back on any of our threes day cruises this year (January, February, March)

FWIW San Pedro's are only a few less.

• Alternative services team* $2.00 per day

(*galley, entertainment, guest services and other hotel staff members)

Am I the last to discover this or has this been in the works for a while?

(I'm a good and dutiful tipper. I always pay the prepaid guideline and extra to those who are extra-amazing during the cruise. This ain't a judgment post, more just an observation.)

Yes, you must be the last to discover this. Lol. It has been a hot topic of late.

I don't mind paying it. Carnival staff work very hard to give us all an enjoyable vacation experience.

Just "mothered" in right now - unless dd23 (unmarried) isn't telling me something...:eek:

I still wish they would just add the grats up-front into the price of the cruise as part of the cruise fare. I still know of people who remove the grats and tip nothing at all - not even cash for good service - because they feel the "pay enough" for the cruise already. (one of them being a friend with 5 in her family - AND they just went on one of the free offer cruises - and STILL didn't tip at all. Disgusts me....

Wow! What a story. Bless their hearts. ;-)

The $10 daily tips are now made easy, but I wish the breakdown was $4/$6 instead of this, so that I don't need to find the calculator function on my iPhone.

Actually, it's $11.50/person/day currently until 10/9...

Regardless, it's not a huge deal, and I hope the more stingy guests don't have an even bigger field day with their righteous indignation regarding paying more.

I'll pay more. No problem...they treat me well! :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last time they increased them, the brand ambassador stated that he, and Carnival "felt that they deserved a raise." Once again, they must have the same feeling. Instead of increasing their salary, (and yes, even tipped crew/staff members on Carnival earn a salary) they choose to increase their recommended automatic gratuities.

For all of those who tip extra, why bother creating threads and sharing that you're locked in at the old rate from your prepaid gratuities? After all... you should be glad they increased them because you tip extra.

Edited by Disconnections

Actually, it's $11.50/person/day currently until 10/9...

Regardless, it's not a huge deal, and I hope the more stingy guests don't have an even bigger field day with their righteous indignation regarding paying more.

I'll pay more. No problem...they treat me well! :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Actually, it's $9.50 right now. I'll leave the payroll dollars now and 10/9 and after to Carnival.

I had paid off my Feb. cruise and gratuities 3 months ago. Wonder if they are going to come back and charge me the extra $2 pp per day?:D

No, you won't , you are "grandfathered" in to the old rates....it is for all NEW bookings only. And I did call in to confirm this.

No, you won't , you are "grandfathered" in to the old rates....it is for all NEW bookings only. And I did call in to confirm this.

Humm...I'm not sure about that....I booked in April for next April at the old rate. Last month I got an email from Carnival telling me that the tipping rates would be increased effective Oct 2014, and that the new rates would be in effect for my cruise......pre paid prior to July 7th yes, but not all bookings. Here's what it said:

"We also wanted to let you know our gratuity guidelines will be increasing from $11.50 to $12.00 per person per day with voyages departing October 9, 2014, and onward. Guests who have pre-paid their gratuities as of July 7, 2014, will not be affected by this change.

While gratuities are automatically added to your onboard Sail & Sign account as a convenience, tipping is always at your discretion. Please feel free to adjust, up or down, as you please by visiting Guest Services."

Edited by Beave8920

Humm...I'm not sure about that....I booked in April for next April at the old rate. Last month I got an email from Carnival telling me that the tipping rates would be increased effective Oct 2014, and that the new rates would be in effect for my cruise......

If you already had them in your reservation (prepaid even if final payment hasn't been made yet) you have the old rate. If you didn't have them included from the announcement date will you pay more.

If you already had them in your reservation (prepaid even if final payment hasn't been made yet) you have the old rate. If you didn't have them included from the announcement date will you pay more.

unless you get a price reduction then they add the new gratuities on I just got a 120.00 price drop but when I got my new invoice it had the new gratuities price on it

You will probably never see the tips included in the price of the cruise because then Carnival would have to sell the cruises at the higher price. With tips separate they can make the cruise appear cheaper up front. They are having too much trouble filling ships now with the tips separate as it is.

You will probably never see the tips included in the price of the cruise because then Carnival would have to sell the cruises at the higher price. With tips separate they can make the cruise appear cheaper up front. They are having too much trouble filling ships now with the tips separate as it is.

Exactly. Even the last salary increase for their staff, they didn't even want to tack that extra dollar onto the fare. So they werr sneaky and added it to tips.