Tipping baggage handlers at Brooklyn

Mimi1967

Hi

We are about to fly to new shop - shop till we drop and then cruise home!

Just a quick questions - do we tip the guys who take our luggage when we get to the cruise terminal in Brooklyn? I have never tipped in Southampton but I know expectations are rather different in the US.

Thanks

Mimi

Yes, I gave the guys $5 for a couple of cases. Was not originally going to do so but the guy pointed out that "his assistant" had lifted the cases onto the trolley. To be fair I was pleased with this as I saw it as a good was of ensuring our cases were loaded. The dock workers were on strike on this occasion and a massive traffic queue had built up. People who owned cars were stuck but we got out the taxi and walked the final half mile.

Regards John

I have found the porters at Red Hook to be a lot more pleasant than the ones in Manhattan piers. I am amused by the large signs that say "Tipping Optional" or some-such. It was a long time ago, but I was told off by a porter in Manhattan when he didn't feel the tip was sufficient.

On arrival at Red Hook we always give $5 to the porter for our two average cases. (The one time we arrived at Red Hook I didn't need a porter.) That should be plenty. If the tip is not handed over promptly the porter may pull out a wad of bills and fan them in your direction as a hint. A few years ago there were complaints on this forum from those who arrived at Red Hook on a Cunard transfer coach. Before the passengers left the coach a porter would get on board and tell everyone it will cost them $5 per bag to have them taken to the pier. If anyone told me that I would handle our two bags myself.

I actually carry my own on the ship now. Tipping the porters on embarking is foolish, they are just doing their job loading the bags on a trolley. They are not providing any sort of service beyond their job description and unless you are going to carry your bags on board, which is impossible for some people, it is not optional. I have seen them literally try to shake people down for tips at various ports which is very very rude considering they do absolutely nothing except carry a bag 5-10 feet to a trolley.

On the other hand, if you are using a porter on disembarking, I'd say tipping is mandatory since most people can handle the bags themselves.

Yes but they are likely well paid union members and do not deserve anything extra for doing their job loading suitcases on a trolley.

Whereas this could well be true would you recommend to newcomers they ought to point this issue out to the luggage guys when handing them ones cases?

Regards John

Whereas this could well be true would you recommend to newcomers they ought to point this issue out to the luggage guys when handing them ones cases?

Regards John

Nope, that is why I carry mine on board instead of paying the extortion.

Generally over $60K a year!

In many parts of the US, $60K is a very comfortable living.

But try living supporting a family on 60K in NYC

And just to mention that the pay scale for stevedores varies, and it is not a long term job.

Nope, that is why I carry mine on board instead of paying the extortion.

In this country, extortion is a crime. If you feel you are a victim of a crime, please report it to the proper authority.

Otherwise, have a nice day.

Salacia

Hi We docked in Brooklyn end of may. 4 adults with 6 cases. Same as you not sure what to tip. Porter was a nice young guy from New Jersey. Waited with us. He took us straight to the front of the customs desk and said soon as officer had finished with the people he was seeing to go ahead and he would see us next . Which we did. We avoided the queue for customs. Big surprise. I said to the porter when bags were unloaded if $20 Was ok. He smiled and said yes. It was worth it to me to get through customs so quick.

Hi We docked in Brooklyn end of may. 4 adults with 6 cases. Same as you not sure what to tip. Porter was a nice young guy from New Jersey. Waited with us. He took us straight to the front of the customs desk and said soon as officer had finished with the people he was seeing to go ahead and he would see us next . Which we did. We avoided the queue for customs. Big surprise. I said to the porter when bags were unloaded if $20 Was ok. He smiled and said yes. It was worth it to me to get through customs so quick.

Correct, they deserve a tip on disembarkation but surely not on embarkation for reasons stated earlier.

IMO you got a very good deal for your $20.

This is generally the benefit of luggage assistance in the US: At the airport, on arrival, it will get you to the front of the taxi line; when traveling on Amtrak, it will get you on to a train earlier than anyone else is allowed to board; etc.

On arrival at Red Hook we always give $5 to the porter for our two average cases. (The one time we arrived at Red Hook I didn't need a porter.) ...

Sorry, I didn't phrase that well. I meant when we arrive by car service at Red Hook I give the porter $5 for placing our two modest cases on the trolley. The rare time when we arrive at Red Hook by ship I don't need a porter. If we needed a porter to get us through the customs hall and take us to our transfer coach or taxi, I would be more generous.