US Dollars in Caribbean

Markanddonna

The US dollar (USD) is, of course, the official currency of Puerto Rico and the US Virgin Islands. It is also the official currency of the Turks and Caicos, British Virgin Islands, Bonaire, Sint Eustatius, Saba, and Panama.

The Bahamian dollar (BAD) and Bermuda dollar (BMD) are officially pegged to 1.00 USD; and the Belize dollar (BZD) and Barbadian dollar (BBD) are officially pegged to 0.50 USD, with widepread use of both local currency and USD. On the Dutch side of Sint Maarten, the Netherlands Antillean Guilder (ANG) is official, unless it's already been replaced by the new Carribbean Guilder (CMG), while on the French side of Saint-Martin, the Euro (EUR) is official; but the USD is widely accepted on the island.

The USD is widely accepted in virtually every popular Caribbean, Gulf, and West Indian cruise port.

Edited by Blue Mudshark

I too have never had a problem spending the God almighty dollar in any Caribbean port. I use my credit card in any brick & mortar store, and cash elsewhere. They (probably all) depend on the cruise ships for a good portion of their livelihood.

Edited by Treven

Puerto Rico and St. Thomas are part of the US, so they take US$ including coins. All change they give will be in US$ and include coins.

The other ports will accept US$, change may or may not be in US$. Change could be in local currency. They will not take or give US coins. Try to have enough small bills to pay the exact amount

The other ports will accept US$, change may or may not be in US$. Change could be in local currency. They will not take or give US coins. Try to have enough small bills to pay the exact amount

This is important. Almost no one will accept foreign coins from ANYWHERE including US.

We used U.S. dollars in all our ports and actually got U.S. paper bills back in change and then Island money back in coins. It was great, we took smaller bills as used as many singles and fives as possible to reduce the amount of foreign coins we would get back, We were in St. Kitts, St. Maarten, Dominica and Barbados and in all those place we got U.S. paper money back as change.

The Panamanian balboa (PAB) is an official currency of Panama, but the US dollar (USD) is also legal tender in Panama. By law, the PAB is pegged to the USD. Panama mints coins of the same value, size, and weight as US coins, but Panama does not print banknotes in balboa denominations. Both PAB and USD coins are in use, but the paper money is all USD, printed in the USA. In practice, the whole country runs on USD.

We used credit cards mostly in St. Barts and Martinique. Taxi drivers and tour people all accept U.S. $$

Shopping and lunch we use credit card.

I don't specifically recall what we did inn St. Vincent but do know of all our many Caribbean cruises and resorts stays, we never converted to local currency so they must accept U.S.

Edited by sail7seas

What about the "euro" ports of Martinique, St. Vincent and St. Barts?

We were with some UK friends who were able to use their Euros in Martinique and St. Vincent.

Always, we have been able to use our US Dollars everyplace in the Caribbean except for some stores in Guadeloupe.

LuLu

I think you can probably use Euros in St. Barts and possibly French side of St. Martin. Probably they don't take Euro's on the Dutch side, St. Maarten.

I guess my question was whether the dollar would work well in the ports that use the Euro. I wouldn't want to be charged a 1.50 xrate by an already expensive taxi in St. Bart's.

Also, all public transportation (say buses in Barbados) only take local currency, correct? Considering using some local transportation in both Martinique and Barbados.

Expect to pay HIGH in St. Barts. The prices for everything, including taxis, are very high.

DH and I hired a taxi and driver/guide but negotiated the price ahead of getting in his taxi. He

was great and gave us a terrific tour. We negotiated and paid in U.S. dollars.

Edited by sail7seas

Many places will not accept $2 bills. Go figure.

I always check to make sure that whatever I purchase is a real value. Before I go I look to compare the value of the dollar to the local currency.

http://www.xe.com/currencyconverter/

Everyone will take US dollars, however, there are a few islands that take advantage of the exchange rate which can change the value to their benefit.

Harry :cool:

I think you can probably use Euros in St. Barts and possibly French side of St. Martin. Probably they don't take Euro's on the Dutch side, St. Maarten.

A number of places in French St. Martin accepted US $ one for one against prices quoted in euros, making it much preferable to spend dollars rather than $1.30 euros.