NCL Mastercard FAQ

Host CMLA

My husband and I just received an offer from Norwegian to open up a credit card and receive $100 OBC after you make one qualifying purchase. We applied and were approved. After looking over the points program (1 point for every $1 spent or double points for NCL purchases) it seems it would take quite a bit of card usage to rack up any additional useable bonus points for our upcoming cruise. Can anyone give me any insider tips on accruing points? I know with some points clubs, they offer different bonus points throughout the year for signing up for things or purchasing certain things. Does this card offer any similar ways to accrue additional bonus points?

My husband and I just received an offer from Norwegian to open up a credit card and receive $100 OBC after you make one qualifying purchase. We applied and were approved. After looking over the points program (1 point for every $1 spent or double points for NCL purchases) it seems it would take quite a bit of card usage to rack up any additional useable bonus points for our upcoming cruise. Can anyone give me any insider tips on accruing points? I know with some points clubs, they offer different bonus points throughout the year for signing up for things or purchasing certain things. Does this card offer any similar ways to accrue additional bonus points?

The offer I got was for 10,000 bonus points for a qualifying purchase within 60 days of receiving the card. Oddly enough that's how many points it takes to redeem $100 of OBC or get $100 off. You sure you aren't going to get 10K points? Also don't forget to change your payment method to the card, whatever you charge on there will make it double. With my next two cruises I will have enough for a 4X upgrade for the second cruise or should be close to 30K which is half way to double meta that I've read about!

Unless I do lots of bonus points I don't think I could hit 60K by July, plus I might lose perks from the promo. I might be able to get to 60K by NYE 2015 or soon after. Do you know the timeframe on pints before they expire?

I am not sure...I have presumed they are like most loyalty points and as long as their is activity in the account that they don't, but I will need to check

When we signed up, I'm pretty sure we got 25k points for spending a certain amount with a certain period. I then set my sights on accruing 60k for the DCM which took about two years to reach. We only rarely use cash or checks, if we can charge it we do (and pay it off within 30 days....don't believe in paying interest!) so whether is an 89 cent big gulp or the 1,800 anesethia co payment it goes on the card! It adds us faster than I like to think but I do know we will enjoy our big ole balcony next April for 19 glorious days and it will have only cost us the points plus $88 per person per day!:D

• 3 weeks later...

If two people share a room and each has their own credit card points, does each person get a $100 off or an OBC for the 10k promo, or is it only 1 per cabin?:confused:

I also noticed you can get a 2 category upgrade for the same points. What category would you have to book on the Breakaway in order to get a B1 using the upgrade offer? B3?:confused: Thanks!:)

If two people share a room and each has their own credit card points, does each person get a $100 off or an OBC for the 10k promo, or is it only 1 per cabin?:confused:

I also noticed you can get a 2 category upgrade for the same points. What category would you have to book on the Breakaway in order to get a B1 using the upgrade offer? B3?:confused: Thanks!:)

The points/OBC is per person, I had called CAS about the double-cross meta to a B6 and they didn't care which Inside I took (but I am always comped cabins so I don't know through regular bookings) Hopefully someone else can answer that 1 for sure

Unfortunately there are some exclusions shown in the terms and conditions for the upgrades. On the Breakaway the family balcony, spa balcony and aft facing balcony (B1) are excluded from the offer.

Here is link from NCL site for WorldPoints credit card. Click on the Offer Terms and Conditions to see the exclusions.

http://www.ncl.com/world-points

For the double cross meta upgrade (interior to balcony for 60,000 points) I asked NCL what category inside I would have to pay for to have a specific deck 10 aft facing balcony on the Dawn for the 14 day Boston to New Orleans cruise in Oct 2015. Don't remember the category required but we're paying total of $1,829.02 for two in category that is pricing out at $4,037.92 with just one stateroom remaining.

Can anyone give me any insider tips on accruing points? I know with some points clubs, they offer different bonus points throughout the year for signing up for things or purchasing certain things. Does this card offer any similar ways to accrue additional bonus points?

Every few months I receive offers from them for 5X the points for using my card for specific items. This time it is for technology related items. The offer is good for about 4 months at a time up to a total of 2,500 extra points. The offer comes in an unmarked white envelope.

I

Here is link from NCL site for WorldPoints credit card.

Click on the Offer Terms and Conditions to see the exclusions.

For the double cross meta upgrade (interior to balcony for 60,000 points) I asked NCL what category inside I would have to pay for to have a specific deck 10 aft facing balcony on the Dawn for the 14 day Boston to New Orleans cruise in Oct 2015. Don't remember the category required but we're paying total of $1,829.02 for two in category that is pricing out at $4,037.92 with just one stateroom remaining.

Thanks for the link and your example.

In the past, I just had the WorldPoints cash transferred to my Bank of America credit card. Easy.

Until recently, I have never bothered to look at the Terms and Conditions:

Upgrade refers to a better available accommodation within the meta (Interior to Interior, oceanview to oceanview or balcony to balcony).

Cross-Meta upgrade refers to having the option to book a specific Oceanview category for the price of a specific Interior category or book a specific Balcony category for the price of a specific Oceanview category.

Double Cross-Meta upgrade refers to having the option to book a specific Balcony category for the price of a specific Interior category.

Since I'm approaching 50,000 points again, maybe I'll reconsider.

• 4 weeks later...

I just received our NCL CC. I made a $6.00 purchase by ordering magazines. Our cruise is in Oct., so I'm hoping it appears before then. I'm debating on whether to put final payment on it. I'm not sure if it's the best deal. I have CCLcredit card and RCC's. I have some points saved up on each (not a lot, maybe 2-300.$'s) and expected that I'd be cruising the next yr. with them, but a better deal on a different cruise line always turned up.

The credit card I have the most points on is United. We have enough for 2 r/t tickets to Europe on it, but, not going to Europe this year:(. I hesitate to start trying to build up points on another one. I got the NCL one just for the 10,000/$100. OBC.

Any thoughts?

I just received our NCL CC. I made a $6.00 purchase by ordering magazines. Our cruise is in Oct., so I'm hoping it appears before then. I'm debating on whether to put final payment on it. I'm not sure if it's the best deal. I have CCLcredit card and RCC's. I have some points saved up on each (not a lot, maybe 2-300.$'s) and expected that I'd be cruising the next yr. with them, but a better deal on a different cruise line always turned up.

The credit card I have the most points on is United. We have enough for 2 r/t tickets to Europe on it, but, not going to Europe this year:(. I hesitate to start trying to build up points on another one. I got the NCL one just for the 10,000/$100. OBC.

Any thoughts?

We've had a Bank of America NCL CC for years, and every-so-often just exchange the World Points for cash. Easy.

I'm curious about your new NCL Card... does it have a "chip" like the ones used in Europe?

https://www.ricksteves.com/travel-tips/money/chip-pin-cards

Any thoughts?

The points are added to your account once the current billing period ends. Points are good for 5 years, so if you cruise with NCL a bit it would probably be worth it to charge NCL cruises on it, especially if you think you can get 40-60 K in that time frame, that's when the really "good" rewards become available. At 20K you can get a 4X cabin upgrade so that might be nice also.

We've had a Bank of America NCL CC for years, and every-so-often just exchange the World Points for cash. Easy.

I'm curious about your new NCL Card... does it have a "chip" like the ones used in Europe?

https://www.ricksteves.com/travel-tips/money/chip-pin-cards

Hi, $hip$hape, stop following me.:eek:

My card doesn't have a chip and I asked for it a few times. I have the BOA travel card, though, with foreign tax credits waived and no payment for a year and no annual fee, and it has the chip. They're all catching up with Europe in that regard; those fine Europeans have a lot to teach us. I absolutely loved Europe while I was there...

A word to the wise: If you use your points for partial or full payment of your cruise, and you have to cancel for legitimate (ie sickness, death in family, etc) or not legitimate, you will lose your points. Case in point(s): had to cancel Epic Mediterranean this summer due to injury, and I had paid for nearly all of it with points. I didn't read the fine print, although it wouldn't have mattered because I hadn't expected to miss the boat in the first place (how do you predict emergencies?). The points' value was not returned, and the points themselves were not banked, so I was ship out of luck in all regards. Seems wrong, somehow, especially since I was on the NCL Baltic cruise 2 weeks prior when I got hurt, and used (and paid for) the infirmary. I have yet to get to all the incredible and demanding paperwork for my travel protection plans...and some think the loss might be recouped through that process. We shall see. Be careful!

HS2U;)

Hi, $hip$hape, stop following me.:eek:

My card doesn't have a chip and I asked for it a few times. I have the BOA travel card, though, with foreign tax credits waived and no payment for a year and no annual fee, and it has the chip. They're all catching up with Europe in that regard; those fine Europeans have a lot to teach us. I absolutely loved Europe while I was there...

A word to the wise: If you use your points for partial or full payment of your cruise, and you have to cancel for legitimate (ie sickness, death in family, etc) or not legitimate, you will lose your points. Case in point(s): had to cancel Epic Mediterranean this summer due to injury, and I had paid for nearly all of it with points. I didn't read the fine print, although it wouldn't have mattered because I hadn't expected to miss the boat in the first place (how do you predict emergencies?). The points' value was not returned, and the points themselves were not banked, so I was ship out of luck in all regards. Seems wrong, somehow, especially since I was on the NCL Baltic cruise 2 weeks prior when I got hurt, and used (and paid for) the infirmary. I have yet to get to all the incredible and demanding paperwork for my travel protection plans...and some think the loss might be recouped through that process. We shall see. Be careful!

HS2U;)

My Norwegian BAC MC has a chip - - didn't request it but when cards were replaced due to being "compromised" the new cards came with chips.

The cancellation penalties are shown on the Terms and Conditions page for the Worldpoints Cruise Credit Card - link follows

If cruise is cancelled before the penalty phase kicks in there is no loss of points - they are posted back onto your account.

Question about the application - does anyone know if there's a table on the NCL ship (any ship) where you're offered an additional incentive to sign up for the credit card on board? I did this in January on board the Carnival Splendor and got good freebies plus extra points.

Every few months I receive offers from them for 5X the points for using my card for specific items. This time it is for technology related items. The offer is good for about 4 months at a time up to a total of 2,500 extra points. The offer comes in an unmarked white envelope.

I

I have never received notifications of any bonus points....how do I sign up for that?? can't find it on the website....:o