Question about double occupancy

suamom

Does Royal ever charge for single occupancy? We are doing Alaska next summer and our older daughter will now not be going. She and our younger daughter are booked in an interior across from our balcony. I believe we are going to keep the interior but our younger daughter will have the cabin to herself.

The cabins cost is "DOUBLE" occupancy..whatever 2 people cost, is the price of a cabin. Folks have to stop thinking about "per person" costs...because it's causing grief and sorrow! The cabins are price based on DOUBLE OCCUPANCY...they say it in all of their disclaimers....read it!

Edited by cb at sea

The cabins cost is "DOUBLE" occupancy..whatever 2 people cost, is the price of a cabin. Folks have to stop thinking about "per person" costs...because it's causing grief and sorrow! The cabins are price based on DOUBLE OCCUPANCY...they say it in all of their disclaimers....read it!

Not for every cabin or for every sailing. There are cruises available for less than the 200% double occupancy cost. You have to check each cruise separately to find out the price for solos as it can vary.

That wasn't the OP's question. :rolleyes: He asked about the ability to put a single in a double occupancy stateroom and how that would be charged.

And while staterooms are booked on double occupancy that is not necessarily the cost for a solo traveler. Please be more careful with your answers!

Does Royal ever charge for single occupancy? We are doing Alaska next summer and our older daughter will now not be going. She and our younger daughter are booked in an interior across from our balcony. I believe we are going to keep the interior but our younger daughter will have the cabin to herself.

If you planning to be on the Radiance of Seas for your Alaska cruise , that ship has 3 Single Occupancy Cabins on Deck 4 which no single supplement is charged. These cabins tend to sell out fast . If one is available for your cruise make certain to compare the price to booking a standard double occupancy as I have found more often than not it's cheaper to book paying the single supplement than to book a Single Occupancy Cabin.

If you planning to be on the Radiance of Seas for your Alaska cruise , that ship has 3 Single Occupancy Cabins on Deck 4 which no single supplement is charged. These cabins tend to sell out fast . If one is available for your cruise make certain to compare the price to booking a standard double occupancy as I have found more often than not it's cheaper to book paying the single supplement than to book a Single Occupancy Cabin.

Be careful, dont assume these "single" cabins are always cheaper, they are not.

I am booked on Brilliance of the seas which has a few of thise solo cabins. It was cheaper for me to book a normal cabin, pay the extra surcharge than to book the solo cabin. And the solo cabin is about 33% smaller as well.

I was very surprised at this...but not much surprises me with RCI pricing when it comes to single travellers...I have learned that the past couple years cruising with them.

Do you ever even read anything other than the thread title before responding? :confused:

Edited by ryano

Be careful, dont assume these "single" cabins are always cheaper, they are not.

I am booked on Brilliance of the seas which has a few of thise solo cabins. It was cheaper for me to book a normal cabin, pay the extra surcharge than to book the solo cabin. And the solo cabin is about 33% smaller as well.

I was very surprised at this...but not much surprises me with RCI pricing when it comes to single travellers...I have learned that the past couple years cruising with them.

Never made such assumption in my previous post. If you go back and read my previous post I stated "If one is available for your cruise make certain to compare the price to booking a standard double occupancy as I have found more often than not it's cheaper to book paying the single supplement than to book a Single Occupancy Cabin"

Your daughter should receive double credits in loyalty program. I received them for my previous two solo cruises.

Sat1,

So you were booked as a double or as a single?

I have a few doubles booked but DD can no longer come. Wondering if I will get double points if she is a no show!

Thanks

Raina

Sat1,

So you were booked as a double or as a single?

I have a few doubles booked but DD can no longer come. Wondering if I will get double points if she is a no show!

Thanks

Raina

I believe she would have to be booked as a solo to get the double points.

That wasn't the OP's question. :rolleyes: He asked about the ability to put a single in a double occupancy stateroom and how that would be charged.

And while staterooms are booked on double occupancy that is not necessarily the cost for a solo traveler. Please be more careful with your answers!

After 62,000 posts why should she start now?

Only if you book solo, you will get double points! if a book a double and I go solo, I won't get double points!

If you cancel the second name from the reservation you will get double points. If the second person is a no-show then maybe you would not. However, it would make no sense in the case of the OP not to cancel the second name and get a refund of the fees and port charges so the cabin occupant should get the double points.

Edited by Ocean Boy

If you cancel the second name from the reservation you will get double points. If the second person is a no-show then maybe you would not. However, it would make no sense in the case of the OP not to cancel the second name and get a refund of the fees and port charges so the cabin occupant should get the double points.

Nope! you will get double points only if you book a solo cruise. If you cancel the 2nd person, or it's a no show, you will get the taxes back after the cruise.

Nope! you will get double points only if you book a solo cruise. If you cancel the 2nd person, or it's a no show, you will get the taxes back after the cruise.

This past year on our February Allure cruise we had to cancel a person in one of the cabins. The taxes were refunded at the time of the cancellation and the person in the cabin got the double points. And this was after final payment.

The info that I wrote in my post was from personal experience. Maybe your info was too. I, obviously, would not know. We all know how things can vary with RCI.

This past year on our February Allure cruise we had to cancel a person in one of the cabins. The taxes were refunded at the time of the cancellation and the person in the cabin got the double points. And this was after final payment.

The info that I wrote in my post was from personal experience. Maybe your info was too. I, obviously, would not know. We all know how things can vary with RCI.

Maybe the clue lies between no show and/or canceling..

Never made such assumption in my previous post. If you go back and read my previous post I stated "If one is available for your cruise make certain to compare the price to booking a standard double occupancy as I have found more often than not it's cheaper to book paying the single supplement than to book a Single Occupancy Cabin"

Wasn't saying that to contradict your statement...just pointing it out that even on boats that have the "solo" rooms, they can be(and more often in my experience) more expensive than paying the double rate in a regular cabin....not to mention of course they are smaller...so much less bang for your buck!!

I don't even bother to look at them now when booking to be honest...

When did the cruise get cancelled? Was it in the 100% fare penalty period after the final payment?

If not was only the taxes/port fees refunded because the remaining solo passenger then had to pay the single, double rate?

What I want to know if one passenger has to cancel in the lost of deposit amount, 50% or 75 % of fare penalty period, does that passenger receive a partial refund and the remaining passenger then has to pay the solo rate?

I suspect it's the formal not the latter that is done.