Why did they assign accessible?

webecruzin2

Just booked CC cat C1 on the Summit. They assigned me an aft accessible cabin. I didn't request one but my TA said if they assigned it then it's fine.

So I tried to book another C1 cat aft cabin just to see what would happen and sure enough it gave me another aft accessible.

#1. I really don't want to take away an accessible cabin from someone that may really need it.

#2. Is it just that all of the C1 aft cabins on the Summit are accessible? The deck plans show dark purple C1 cat. cabins as aft and also as accessible.

#3. Could they move us at the last minute if someone else needs it, which is fine but what if there are no more aft cabins available?

My TA doesn't seem concerned.

I think you should just assume that X probably knows what they are doing in terms of supply and demand for accessible cabins. If by some chance it turns out at the last minute, the cabin was needed as an accessible cabin, I assume they would offer you some deal to make you happy. If what you booked was a guarantee, they might just change you but if you paid for and booked an aft cabin I would assume that is where you will be or upgraded to accommodate a special needs passenger. Enjoy!

Thanks, we don't leave until October but I did NOT book a guarantee, I booked and paid for a C1 concierge cabin. I guess I we'll wait and see. We love aft cabins but if they have to move us to a suite I guess that will be okay.[emoji6][emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

When they are certain that no one needs that cabin, they will release it to the general public. I don't care for "accessible" cabins or hotel rooms...but some like the extra space. you are taking NOTHING away from anyone. Enjoy.

When they are certain that no one needs that cabin, they will release it to the general public. I don't care for "accessible" cabins or hotel rooms...but some like the extra space. you are taking NOTHING away from anyone. Enjoy.

How can they be certain when her cruise is not until October? Also, I am confused as to how she was "assigned" a room, but, did not book a guarantee? Doesn't one choose their room unless they specifically book a guarantee and then one is chosen for them? It seems as some of the guarantees are being assigned early. Last month I booked a AQ guarantee for Feb 2017 and was assigned one two days later.

Marie

Edited by FlorenceItaly

How can they be certain when her cruise is not until October? Also, I am confused as to how she was "assigned" a room, but, did not book a guarantee? Doesn't one choose their room unless they specifically book a guarantee and then one is chosen for them? It seems as some of the guarantees are being assigned early. Last month I booked a AQ guarantee for Feb 2017 and was assigned one two days later.

Marie

Yikes! Are you accusing me of lying? Not that I have to explain myself to you, but I booked it on line simply requesting a C1, it offered the aft cabin number, I called my TA, told her what I was offered, she called X and they gave it to me knowing full well I did not request nor did I need accessible. My TA said not to worry about it. I chose to come here on CC to get an opinion. As I said I did not book a guarantee. Hope I cleared up your "confusion".

Yikes! Are you accusing me of lying? Not that I have to explain myself to you, but I booked it on line simply requesting a C1, it offered the aft cabin number, I called my TA, told her what I was offered, she called X and they gave it to me knowing full well I did not request nor did I need accessible. My TA said not to worry about it. I chose to come here on CC to get an opinion. As I said I did not book a guarantee. Hope I cleared up your "confusion".

Absolutely not! I am sorry it it came across that way.

Marie

and was assigned an accessible cabin within one day of booking...

We did not ask for one.

I was really surprised as it was in March for summer...

Bernadette

Edited by BratDet

Absolutely not! I am sorry it it came across that way.

Marie

Marie - I saw nothing in your post that implied you were accusing the OP of lying. ;) I too was confused by this statement.

" They assigned me an aft accessible cabin. I didn't request one but my TA said if they assigned it then it's fine."

Who was "they" and if she had a TA, why was the booking with a "they"?

Thank you to the OP for explaining that you were doing a mock booking on the Celebrity website, or booking it online and then turning it over to your TA. Either way, sounds like you will be in an HC stateroom. We were assigned one through a TA years ago. But it was a last minute cruise. The stateroom was great!

Edited by Iamthesea

As a full time disabled person, I'm surprised, and very upset, that Celebrity handed out an accessible cabin so early. What normally happens is that they don't give them out to able bodied persons until after final payment. That way, we disabled can book an accessible cabin up to final payment. I totally fault Celebrity for giving out an accessible cabin too early.

I've been told by Celebrity that they decide at some point to make HC cabins available to the general public, but there's no hard and fast rule-- depends on supply and demand for the particular sailing. Weigh the odds that three disabled customers will need the last three cabins at the last minute versus turning away dozens of customers that would have booked it and just wanted a C1, as the OP did. If it's likely eventually going to go to someone who doesn't need it anyway, I'd hate to miss out on a C1 when I didn't wait until the last minute to book it like the person who got it when it was released to the general public a few days before sailing. Not to say that the HC cabins should always be fair game if they're the only ones left-- you have to look at the statistical probabilities, though.

When we sailed with my DMIL who was in a wheelchair, I booked ASAP because I knew there were a limited number of HC cabins available. I know that not everyone can make plans that far in advance, and occasionally due to the particular condition that makes an HC necessary, but unfortunately that's how X's system works.

Think you are getting "very upset" for no reason....if Celebrity got a request for an accessable cabin and no more were available that they would move people around or offer an upgrade to those booked into the accessable cabins. I am sure that unless all the accessable cabins were actually booked to people that really needed them that Celebrity , would make a disabled person suffer in a non-accessable cabin.

As a full time disabled person, I'm surprised, and very upset, that Celebrity handed out an accessible cabin so early. What normally happens is that they don't give them out to able bodied persons until after final payment. That way, we disabled can book an accessible cabin up to final payment. I totally fault Celebrity for giving out an accessible cabin too early.

I booked an S2 on the Summit over a year out. At that time there were 5 cabins left to choose from - all accessible. I watched constantly for other cancellations so I could flip to a regular suite, but that never happened. Don't assume shenanigans from Celebrity or passengers. Some cabin categories seem to have a high percentage of accessible cabins.

OP, I'm confused. If you're not booking a guarantee, why are "they" assigning anything? Whenever I book (typically not a guarantee as what the cruiseline considers an upgrade I often do not as I LIKE being positioned as far forward and up as possible) I select a stateroom number and book it then. There is no "they" involved unless "they" the cruiseline decide they need to upgrade me (and if it's to me a downgrade, there will be words). Why are you not selecting a cabin number from available non-accessible cabins if being booked in an accessible one upsets you? Or is it that there ARE no non-accessible cabins left?

Accessible doesn't always mean a room for the handicapped with a wheelchair. We just got off an RCL ship. We were assigned a cabin marked accessible. I expected more room. It wasn't any bigger than a normal sized cabin.

I think part of the problem here is terminology. What most of us consider "guarantee" and "assigned", etc.

Generally a guarantee is assigned by the cruise line - you book a particular cabin level and will get that category or above. Usually sometime in the future. You have no choice as to location, etc.

If the TA had a list of available cabins and chose one - that's not a guarantee. It's a cabin that's chosen by either the TA or the passenger.

Sounds like the OP should ask their TA to verify the specifics.