Interested in Voyager class but reviews turning me off..

melb1988

Hi all!

I have posted before about what ship to choose for a south pacific cruise in Feb but I cannot settle on which ship to choose!

I was tossing up between Legend/Radiance, but now Radiance is off the cards due to date/itinerary so now its between Legend/Voyager, roughly same price for a suite give or take a couple of hundred dollars with legend being cheaper.

We have only sailed RCCL once on Rhapsody to the south pacific before its refit and we loved it, even as experienced cruises we just found it pleasent and enjoyable despite its age and size.

Wondering if we should try Voyager instead of Legend because we are yet to experience that class of ship? but note I have us booked on a very cheap sampler 4 night explorer cruise in march which I would cancel if we were to pick voyager for Feb.

Legend I feel would be just like Rhapsody but its been refitted which we haven't experienced but voyager is a whole different class and has way more to do but from the recent reviews I've read, both Voyager/Explorer seem to be disappointing more people than not which is a let down. are they really as bad as many reviews suggest or are people just being picky?

I note the following points made that ring alarm bells for me..

*Ship VERY crowded, people everywhere, can't get deck chairs by the pools or seats in the promenade.

* VERY under staffed or staff can't handle the amount of guests there for service is extremely lacking.

* Drinks extremely expensive once converted to AUD

Is it really as crowded as what they say? I have been on big ships before EG: Diamond Princess, QM2 & Golden Princess and I would say I've never had issues with the amount of people onboard?

Legend is obviously a more intimate and relaxed size but do we really make our second RCCL trip just like the our first (stick to what we know) or do we try something new? also is Legend perhaps just too old with little offerings now?

About us, both under 30, just love a relaxing trip, enjoy the pools, whirlpools, Spa's, and of coarse cocktails etc. Shows don't interest us. We expect good and FRIENDLY service.

any advice would be great thank you :)

My husband and I have only gone as big as a Radiance, with 7 cruises under our belts. We have loved every ship we've been on and although some seem busier than others and some staff friendlier than others, we have always met amazing people and made the best out of any situation.

In Jan & April, we are going on Legend- (We haven't sailed on her before). The smaller ships feel more homely and you bump in to the same people and get used to all the same staff.

In March, we are trying Voyager for the first time. I'm nervous because it's a lot bigger than we are used to, but super excited to try something new.

I don't know if a sampler cruise will give you a real indication of what the ship will be like, as there will be many party goers and it might just be crazy on board, where as a 10nighter will let you know if you like the class of ship or not.

Hard decision... But the thing is, you're young, you have many years ahead to try all of the ships!

Have cruised on Voyager class twice and loved both, 3rd time booked for Dec '16. Never had issues w crowds or service and ships were clean and nothing more than what I consider normal wear. I'd recommend Voyager class to anyone.

We have cruised on three of the Voyager class ships and once on the Radiance of the Seas. We choose our cruises based on the itinerary we are interested in. However, I think we enjoyed our Radiance cruise more than the others due to its beauty, size, and wonderful crew.

Thanks for the replies thus far everyone :)

I really appreciate it.

Just another question re Voyager, in everyone's opinion would a Grand suite be better than a Junior suite at a price difference of $600 per person on a 10 day voyage?

Cheers

... Just another question re Voyager, in everyone's opinion would a Grand suite be better than a Junior suite at a price difference of $600 per person on a 10 day voyage?

Cheers

It would not be worth it to me. However, if you would enjoy the extra room, nightly free cocktails, MDR menu for room service, reserved pool seating, then go for it.

I think if given the opportunity, I'd like to cruise on all of the Voyager Class ships. The Mariner & Navigatir were great ships. We're doing the Adventure next October and looking forward to it.

Many don't like the older style balconies on the first gen Voyager class ships, but I find they have more privacy.

I'm confused... Is only one of the ships out of Australia? Granted I haven't investigated the South Pacific cruises as the timing doesn't really work with the school year, but don't they all go out of Australia?

They all cruise out of Aus, but I don't think all are in AUD

I've sailed on the Splendour, Rhapsody, and several voyager class (Voyager, Mariner, Navigator). I like the voyager class. Cafe Promenade is open just about all the time (closed in the wee hours for cleaning for an hour or so). The ice shows are always great. Really the only thing I like better on the smaller ships is the Quest game -- On the larger ships it is in Studio B (the ice rink with a floor over the ice), with a small number of teams and lots of "members" on each team. I put members in quotes because most team members never participate. On the smaller ships the Quest in in the dance club, with lots of teams with maybe 6 or 8 members per team, so everyone gets to participate some.

I've sailed on the Splendour, Rhapsody, and several voyager class (Voyager, Mariner, Navigator). I like the voyager class. Cafe Promenade is open just about all the time (closed in the wee hours for cleaning for an hour or so). The ice shows are always great. Really the only thing I like better on the smaller ships is the Quest game -- On the larger ships it is in Studio B (the ice rink with a floor over the ice), with a small number of teams and lots of "members" on each team. I put members in quotes because most team members never participate. On the smaller ships the Quest in in the dance club, with lots of teams with maybe 6 or 8 members per team, so everyone gets to participate some.

My first Quest was on Mariner and I had so much fun! Being part of a huge team was great for me and most of the people in our 'team' got right into the spirit.

I was so disappointed when I went to Quest on Radiance and saw you needed to form your own team, very few people joined in so the atmosphere was completely different.

Is it really as crowded as what they say? I have been on big ships before EG: Diamond Princess, QM2 & Golden Princess and I would say I've never had issues with the amount of people onboard?

Our cruise on Mariner was completely full and the only time I realised how many people were on board was when I tried the Windjammer for breakfast at 9.45 one morning, but I had a similar experience with the buffet on the much smaller P&O Pacific Dawn and the Radiance.

On Mariner they had a mini breakfast buffet set up in the MDR so you could pick up basic things like cereal and smoked salmon while waiting for your hot order to be delivered so I never braved the breakfast buffet again ;)

I really enjoy the Voyager Class. Every ship is going to seem crowded around the pool on a sunny sea day.

As far as the promenade - the only times I have seen it truly run out of seats are during the parades and other parties down there. (But that is something the smaller ships don't even have).

thanks for the helpful replies!

so heres my current pickle...

Explorer junior suite for 10 days south pacific for the same cost as Legend for 8 days with grand suite, I could even go an owners suite on legend for $100 less than a grand suite on Explorer..

Are we still leaning towards Explorer?

Explorer junior suite for 10 days south pacific for the same cost as Legend for 8 days with grand suite, I could even go an owners suite on legend for $100 less than a grand suite on Explorer..

I would go for the longer cruise.

For me the question would come down to the itineraries. Do they have identical posts of call?

There are many good reviews as there are bad ones as well as balanced reviews. Stop looking at all the bad ones and get yourself a balanced review. You can't judge one class of ship as all being bad. I was just on a Voyager Class (Adventure) in October and had a great time! My review is in my signature section below! :cool:

We sailed on Adventure last month, and I never found crowds to be an issue. We got to the Windjammer before peak times for breakfast and lunch, and never had any issue finding a table. During peak hours it got a bit crowded, so would try to avoid that. Our favorite class is also Radiance, but I would not hesitate to sail on a Voyager Class ship again. I'm with Bob. Go with the JS and the longer itinerary.

We sailed on Adventure last month, and I never found crowds to be an issue. We got to the Windjammer before peak times for breakfast and lunch, and never had any issue finding a table. During peak hours it got a bit crowded, so would try to avoid that. Our favorite class is also Radiance, but I would not hesitate to sail on a Voyager Class ship again. I'm with Bob. Go with the JS and the longer itinerary.

Hey I know You! :cool: :D

Bob in regards to the Voyager Class, which ships other then the Voyager have the older style balconies.

Gay

The old style balconies are on the 3 first generation Voyager ships: Voyager, Explorer, and Adventure.