Venice hotel suggestions needed

Tylermon

I will be in a group of 5 going on a cruise from Venice in June. We are looking for something that has easy access from Marco Pollo airport and the Cruise port. We will be there for a day before the cruise so we would like to also be able to see the city. Any suggestions will help! Thanks

it's only a 20 minute drive between the airport and pier.

You don't indicate a budget, so sky's the limit ?

Hotels in Venice are more costly, BUT, you're IN Venice . If you can't easily manage your luggage you'll want to stay near Piazzale Roma.

If you stay in Mestre which is on the mainland across the causeway from Venice ( 10 minutes by bus) hotels are much cheaper. The bus will drop you at Piazzale Roma and from there you walk the equivalent of 2 blocks to reach the Grand Canal.

Really depends on what kind of experience you want and your budget. Look over these 2 sites for information. when you narrow down your choices, post again for feedback.

http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/venice-hotels.htm

And http://us.venere.com/de710846/italy/venice-hotels/ or mestre

Edited by mapleleaves

You might look into the hotel continental Venice. I have not stayed there but Was considering it before we decided on a bed and breakfast instead. It's near the train station and a short walk to the piazzale Roma. It's worth a look anyways.

When arriving/departing via cruise ship, we like to stay near the Marittima cruise port (Piazzale Roma).

Very convenient, affordable hotels at which we have stayed:

Ca' Doge

Santa Chiara

Arlecchino

We have also stayed near the Rialto Bridge (Hotel Marconi) - great location but not nearly as convenient to Marittima as the Piazzale Roma hotels.

We have stayed at Best Western Hotel Bologna in Mestre a number of times and would stay there again. It's located directly across from the train station and bus stop for travel to and from Venice.

The hotel will arrange transfer from the airport to the hotel and a land taxi (van) to the terminal next to your ship on embarkation day.

It's a modern hotel with a very nice breakfast included. The front desk staff is very helpful and happy to assist you with anything you might require.

PNG%20Sig_zps9bcbhaj9.png

We have stayed at the Foscari Palace right on the canal twice. They also have a dock for the water taxi to get you right to the hotel door so you don't have to lug your luggage across bridges and such.

They also have an elevator and free breakfast.

There is also a gondola station right out side the hotel.

It was perfect in all aspects including price. :)

We recently stayed at Hotel Tritone in Mestre (10min bus ride into Venice) and it was great! The room was spacious and comfortable and the breakfast was wonderful. Worth a look, only 1.50pp on the bus to get into Venice and the stop is right across the street from the hotel.

We stayed at the Hotel Ala in San Marco, it is on the campo de Santa Maria del Giglio. It has a water taxi dock or you can take the Alilaguna orange line to the stop at Santa Maria del Giglio and walk about fifty yards down an alley to get to the hotel. Its about a seven minute walk from Piazza San Marco, or at least it takes seven minutes once you get used to navigating in Venice :cool:

Have fun.

Hi

I have a question in the same vein as the OP:

I plan to stay at either Santa Chiara or Hotel Pagnelli (near st marco)

I like the idea of staying near the people mover and not trekking with luggage on a boat. The hotel pagnelli has no bridges after you get off the boat I hear.

How difficult is it to get to saint marks square from Santa Chiara and what if you needed to rest midday?

thanks much

Hi

I have a question in the same vein as the OP:

I plan to stay at either Santa Chiara or Hotel Pagnelli (near st marco)

I like the idea of staying near the people mover and not trekking with luggage on a boat. The hotel pagnelli has no bridges after you get off the boat I hear.

How difficult is it to get to saint marks square from Santa Chiara and what if you needed to rest midday?

thanks much

Walking distance from Hotel Santa Chiara to Piazza San Marco is about 2km with plenty of bridges to negotiate. You might want to take a vaporetto to and from Plaza San Marco.

It appears there are two bridges between Hotel Pagnelli and Piazza San Marco.

If you're planning to take the People Mover to the port, you should be aware your ship could be more than 1km from the cruise port stop. A land taxi from your hotel will drop you off next to your ship.

PNG%20Sig_zps9bcbhaj9.png

Ditto for the Hotel Tritone - their breakfast is amazing .....we just walked across the street and took the train into Venice.

Airport bus dropped us right in front.

eclue:rolleyes:

Hotel Moresco

http://www.hotelmorescovenice.com/en/

One of the best hotels I've ever stayed in (and I've stayed in alot of hotels worldwide), with a Happy Hour that's fantastic.

I have stayed at the Papadapoli and Antiche Figure, and I would choose Moresco over them. (not to say that either was bad, Antiche Figure has terrific service and overlooks the Grand Canal; Papadapoli has a more modern lobby; but if you want a great hotel with great service and great food, Moresco, by a mile).

Edited by leongcpa

Thank you for the suggestion of Hotel Moresco. I changed my reservation from the Papadopoli to this hotel. It looks pretty nice and I like the location a little better. Can you walk to the cruise terminal from the hotel? It looks close enough.

Thank you for the suggestion of Hotel Moresco. I changed my reservation from the Papadopoli to this hotel. It looks pretty nice and I like the location a little better. Can you walk to the cruise terminal from the hotel? It looks close enough.

I would recommend walking from the hotel to Piazzale Roma (2-3 minutes walk), and then taking the Peoplemover (1.5 euros?) from Piazzale Roma to the Marrittima cruise terminal (technically, the peoplemover drops you off, maybe 200 yards away? It's a short walk).

You could walk the entire distance, but I think some parts of it might be on a road with car traffic and no sidewalk. Peoplemover would be much safer.

Here's a link about the peoplemover:

http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/articles/people-mover-to-marittima-cruise-terminals.htm

Edited by leongcpa
Adding more info

• 3 weeks later...

Lots of good suggestions. Not clear though which hotels can be accessed by land taxi from the cruise terminal and then airport? We are staying post cruise. Last year we didn't stay post cruise and used land taxi from cruise ship terminal to the airport. There have to be some hotels in between that are conveniently located for all three locations: cruise ship terminal, airport, and city center. Any advise is appreciated. Helen.

Lots of good suggestions. Not clear though which hotels can be accessed by land taxi from the cruise terminal and then airport? We are staying post cruise. Last year we didn't stay post cruise and used land taxi from cruise ship terminal to the airport. There have to be some hotels in between that are conveniently located for all three locations: cruise ship terminal, airport, and city center. Any advise is appreciated. Helen.

The link that leongcpa provided above is probably the most helpful resource available. The options for hotels that can be accessed by land taxi are very limited if you are seeking easy access to the central attractions of Venice. The map in that link will more clearly illustrate this. if you are staying for a couple of days you may want to consider all available transportation options such as water taxis, Aliguna, the train, etc. Again, that ink will be very helpful.

We chose a hotel more central to the sights, accessiblle by public or private water transportation.

Hotel Moresco

http://www.hotelmorescovenice.com/en/

One of the best hotels I've ever stayed in (and I've stayed in alot of hotels worldwide), with a Happy Hour that's fantastic.

I have stayed at the Papadapoli and Antiche Figure, and I would choose Moresco over them. (not to say that either was bad, Antiche Figure has terrific service and overlooks the Grand Canal; Papadapoli has a more modern lobby; but if you want a great hotel with great service and great food, Moresco, by a mile).

Can you please advise if Moresco or Papadapoli has ground transportation? We need to go from cruise ship to hotel, then from hotel to the airport. It's not easy with luggage to walk around town. Last year we took a taxi from the cruise ship to port and it was easy, unfortunately didn't stay post cruise. Want to do it now. Thank you so much.

Can you please advise if Moresco or Papadapoli has ground transportation? We need to go from cruise ship to hotel, then from hotel to the airport. It's not easy with luggage to walk around town. Last year we took a taxi from the cruise ship to port and it was easy, unfortunately didn't stay post cruise. Want to do it now. Thank you so much.

I don't think either Moresco or Papadapoli will have ground transportation. Land taxis can only access Venice at one place - at Piazzale Roma (which is basically a small parking lot). I don't think any Venice hotels will have ground transportation (except those in Mestre, which I don't count as being in Venice proper)...

However, both hotels are within easy walking distance to Piazzale Roma (one, maybe two bridges and maybe 50 yards at most). Without luggage, I can make it to Moresco or Papadopoli within 2-5 minutes. With luggage, maybe 10 minutes walking if I have alot with me (read: carrying other people's luggage)....

From the Marittima cruise terminal, you could take the Peoplemover or Taxi to Piazzale Roma and walk the rest of the way. To the airport, you can take either ATVO bus or taxi from Piazzale Roma. I think if you want the closest hotel to Piazzale Roma, that would have to be either Santa Chiara or Best Western Olimpia which are about 10-20 yards from Piazzale Roma.

Edited by leongcpa

The Moresco is several blocks from Piazzale Roma which is where you catch a cab, plus at least one bridge.

Papadopoli is directly across from Piazale Roma with 1 small bridge to cross.

There are only 2 hotels on P Roma where a taxi can pick up/drop off at the door; Ca Doge and Santa Chiara. If you need an elevator, you need to check their web site because i think only 1 of them has a lift.

There are a few hotels that require 1 bridge crossing and are within a block of PRoma .... Best Western Olimpia, and Arlecchino are the 2 closest. Perhaps one of you can stay with the luggage while the other does the 5 minute walk.

Check this listsing for others. And OPEN THE MAP so you can see their location in reference to PRoma.

http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/bridges/piazzale-roma.htm

Great information. I believe we can handle a short walk with our luggage. We just need to be careful on our packing to be sure we don't have too much. Or, perhaps the hotel can provide help with the luggage to the taxi or airport shuttle.