Travel Insurance Companies for cruising???

bazzaw

Be aware that most (if not all) travel insurance provided through credit cards do not cover cruises. The only 'ship' trips they cover are ferries.

Several people I know rely on the free credit card insurance for cruises. It would be interesting to hear if they had any claims paid.

Travel Insurence Direct an online company now has a option for cruises.

We have used Travel Insurance Direct for the last few years. We buy an annual policy. We have asked a couple of questions by phone so they know that most of our trips are cruises and there has not been a problem mentioned.

Be aware that most (if not all) travel insurance provided through credit cards do not cover cruises. The only 'ship' trips they cover are ferries.

I don't agree with that. However, they mostly don't cover domestic cruises since they are normally only covering international travel.

The credit card insurance , using commonwealth bank gold , you can add cruise travel insurance for a small fee

Actually, it's covered without a fee.

However, they do offer an additional cruising supplement for a fee, which covers a few cruise specific things. You can still get the standard medical/luggage and so on without the fee.

I don't agree with that. However, they mostly don't cover domestic cruises since they are normally only covering international travel.

We use our ANZ Qantas Black CC, underwritten by QBE. It covers cruises as long as it stops at an International port, so if we cruise to only Australian ports we take out other insurance.

Only have to spend $250 towards the trip to activate the cover, so either the deposit or flights or accomodation.

Our policy covers lots more than others we have used, but I still read the PDF before every holiday in case of any changes.

We have saved thousands by using our CC insurance, and have made a claim:)

Thanks all - I think I might give "Insure and GO" a try. At least there website is quite good - easy to understand and use. Who knows how good they are at paying out claims!! :( Come the day I get run over by a taxi in New York, I will feel much more comfortable pulling the printed and numbered travel insurance policy out to show them at the front desk of the hospital - rather than rely on the assurance of some credit card company that they have me covered.

Bazaaw

If you do opt for InsureandGo then do a search on Google for a 10% off discount code - they regularly offer 10% off so it shouldn't be hard to find

If you can find it ring them and ask for the 10% off offer once you know what their standard price is from the website quite

I may stand corrected though I read the T&Cs pretty thoroughly for our card. I know it is international travel that covered.

Well I think for some it is true. And for instance insurengo has specific cover for all cruises and if you just select general travel insurance (the default) then cruises aren't covered. Bazzaw - make sure you do select the cruise option. It's a bit hidden.

Thanks all - I think I might give "Insure and GO" a try. At least there website is quite good - easy to understand and use. Who knows how good they are at paying out claims!! :( Come the day I get run over by a taxi in New York, I will feel much more comfortable pulling the printed and numbered travel insurance policy out to show them at the front desk of the hospital - rather than rely on the assurance of some credit card company that they have me covered.

Barry, we have used Insure & Go for our last domestic cruises, site is easy to navigate.

Havent made a claim so can't comment on that.

We have been really happy with our CC Travel insurance, we deal with QBE not the credit card company. We take a copy of the statement for proof of purchase and all the emergency contact numbers. You can call and ask for a policy number too:)

Platinum MasterCard cover all overseas travel be it air or cruise. Used it for our last cruise. Administration fee for pre existing illnesses. Also to Insurance is provided by Allianz.

Edited by happysnapper

Well I think for some it is true. And for instance insurengo has specific cover for all cruises and if you just select general travel insurance (the default) then cruises aren't covered. Bazzaw - make sure you do select the cruise option. It's a bit hidden.

The comment was referring to credit cards insurance. Insure&go is a retail insurer, so does not fall into that.

Barry, we have used Insure & Go for our last domestic cruises, site is easy to navigate.

Havent made a claim so can't comment on that.

We have been really happy with our CC Travel insurance, we deal with QBE not the credit card company. We take a copy of the statement for proof of purchase and all the emergency contact numbers. You can call and ask for a policy number too:)

Either way as insurers they issue their policy coverage statements, and are answerable to the Insurance ombudsman if they don't comply. So they can't say you're covered for x million medical insurance and not pay (if the scenario applies), whether credit card or retailer. So I don't have any greater reluctance against one or the other.

It just comes down to their own individual customer service processes, and of course whether the policy covers the situations you believe it needs to cover.

We use our ANZ Qantas Black CC, underwritten by QBE. It covers cruises as long as it stops at an International port, so if we cruise to only Australian ports we take out other insurance.

Only have to spend $250 towards the trip to activate the cover, so either the deposit or flights or accomodation.

Our policy covers lots more than others we have used, but I still read the PDF before every holiday in case of any changes.

We have saved thousands by using our CC insurance, and have made a claim:)

I see that both ANZ and Commonwealth Bank CC travel insurance cover cruises; unfortunately our bank does not :(

With the difference between banks it shows the importance of throughly checking.

Insure and Go -- are looking good -- BUT!! I sent them an email yesterday, got back the usual auto-reply but have not heard from them since. tried to call them a couple of times - but sales line is as slow as trying to call Centrelink!! :( Their single trip policy details specifically says to take out their cruise policy if going on a cruise - but their multi-trip policy says nothing about cruises . So my unanswered (so far) question is - can I do a mix of cruise holidays and non-cruise holidays during the course of a year under their multi-policy.

The next question I need answering for next year ( no hurry for this one) -- what policy would I need to cover three back to back international cruises with land packages before and after the three cruises???

What benefit is there in a Company who offers cruise specific policies?? In the past, I have used Worldcare for both cruise holidays and non-cruise holidays (just one policy type) - but their pre-existing illnesses conditions no longer suit me.

I don't think you can take out annual policies to include cruises. The website states specifically if you are doing a cruise you have to select the cruise option. For your next question you would take out a single policy that covers all the dates.