Packing Cubes - can someone explain to me

Hi i have heard about packing cubes on here - can someone help explain. when i go to sites that sell these not sure what i might need or how they are supposed to work. what do they do? i know they help you pack but in what way? how do you guys use?

I am obsessed with Sonia's Travels YouTube videos. Sonia has travel and packing tips. On her YouTube page, there are several videos about packing cubes -- how to use them and the best ones to get.

Here's a link:

I haven't invested in the packing cubes yet, but I'll really looking at getting them for my next trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I finally got some packing cubes and LOVE them. Before, we'd used the roll-able space bags. But we found that we needed to be careful of which compressed clothes got in which suitcase because the bag got too heavy. Also, although I did wash the space bags, washing plastic never really works too well, and the little slidey things get lost etc.

For packing cubes, I got a mix of large, medium and small. When I'm travelling on my own I like using the small. It's amazing how much you can squeeze in there when it's bras, underwear, socks, swimsuits, pjs, rolled t-shirt or tops.

When adding shorts or pants or collapsible (rollable) hats, we tend to move up to the medium size. My husbands clothes seem to fit better in the large, but that's only if we're taking a big suitcase -- and he's taking jeans or long pants. The large takes up almost all of the roll-aboard -- but with his shoes, he really can't travel with just a roll-aboard anyway.

As the trip progresses, one of the packing cubes turns into the laundry bag. When I get home, I can just wash it too.

I also have a hanging bag I use that I try to fit most of my clothes in and roll it into the suitcase... I have 2 that came with suitcases.

I have a couple I've bought at great discount on sierra trading post but I typically don't use them for packing clothing. On my (business) trip last week, I did use two - one for packing the clothing in my carry-on backpack to keep it segregated from other items, and a 2nd for small items in my suitcase I didn't want to get lost. In the suitcase I used that trip, I have a zippered compartment I use for "smalls", but if I use a bag that doesn't have its own compartment, I might use a packing cube for those items. I have a collection of all sorts of bags (I hoard) that I'll use for makeup, jewelry, electronics, cords, etc - and I love those for organization. But I just don't like/need cubes for packing clothing.

(Eagle creek has an organizer diagram with each suitcase it sells showing how you can most efficiently combine packing cubes & folders with any of its shapes)

I have tried them and I still cannot really answer the OP's question. I suspect they aren't that useful to someone who already has a very organized packing system.

Perhaps they are useful to people who just like to take things out of their suitcase and (keeping them in the cubes) put them in drawers. I don't do that, so it doesn't help me.

When I tried them, I spent more fiddly time trying to figure out what to put where and how to fit them into suitcase. When I pack normally, I use the entire length & width of suitcase for packing clothing to avoid wrinkles.

Also, I found I could fit more in my suitcase without using the cubes.

YMMV.

I have tried them and I still cannot really answer the OP's question. I suspect they aren't that useful to someone who already has a very organized packing system.

Perhaps they are useful to people who just like to take things out of their suitcase and (keeping them in the cubes) put them in drawers. I don't do that, so it doesn't help me.

When I tried them, I spent more fiddly time trying to figure out what to put where and how to fit them into suitcase. When I pack normally, I use the entire length & width of suitcase for packing clothing to avoid wrinkles.

Also, I found I could fit more in my suitcase without using the cubes.

YMMV.

I can't really imagine to add anything which takes up space and weight to my packing. I'm a very neat packer and always unpack completely upon checking in anywhere. If we have a one night stand, which we avoid like the plague, we pack one change in our totes. If you are already organized save your money.

I am one who uses packing cubes. Mine are Rick Steves brand. I like them because the zippers work really well and there is no weight or bulk to the cubes. Their fabric is mostly mesh so they vent well. Besides cruising, I enjoy land-based travel, most of it international. I travel with a carry-on bag and a tote that is the size of a larger handbag. The packing cubes are great for organizing. I can get more into a cube - at least that's my experience. I have a large flat cube for slacks and skirts, two medium sized cubes for tops, and a smaller cube for the small stuff. The cubes have been invaluable the two times I was inspected at European airports. The inspectors didn't paw through my things; my organization was intact. I don't think packing cubes are necessary if you don't have multiple hotel stops or if you are taking a short trip. However, I enjoy extensive travel, so the cubes work well for me.

Cubes or some other method (I've used extremely large sealable plastic bag) are extremely handy if you cross pack your clothing, that is, put some of everyone's clothing into each suitcase, if you are checking baggage.

Having packages of clothing are also handy if you have a segmented trip. For instance, if you are spending a night or two at your embarkation port before cruising...or the opposite...spending a night or two after cruising before heading home. You can maintain efficiency in your packing without having to completely unpack your suitcase, just taking out the appropriate cube(s).

They are also handy to compartmentalize a bag that would not be as easy to pack efficiently...like a duffle style bag, or other unstructured bag. Or adding some strategic clothing to a carryon bag when you are checking luggage which holds the majority of your clothing.

Packing cubes allow you to pack a suitcase in a way to have more control over what goes where within your luggage so that you can structure the weight distribution to take into account the two UP sides of wheeled bags...being able to place heavier items (or items that will travel well with weight of clothing on top of it without concern for compression and setting wrinkles) not only on the laying flat bottom of the suitcase, but also on the wheeled bottom of the suitcase.

Packing cubes also help to maintain certain styles of folding within your luggage. For instance, if you are familiar with the KonMari method of folding and organizing your home, then the cubes help to maintain those folds in your luggage, making packing that much easier because you don't have to do any specific folding to fit your clothing into your suitcase.

For some clothing, it's nice to segregate certain items...if you have clothing that might be snagged by other clothing...sweaters, certain knits, lace accents, heavy zippers, glittery shirts, delicate sheer fabrics, etc.

Cubes or some other method (I've used extremely large sealable plastic bag) are extremely handy if you cross pack your clothing, that is, put some of everyone's clothing into each suitcase, if you are checking baggage.

Having packages of clothing are also handy if you have a segmented trip. For instance, if you are spending a night or two at your embarkation port before cruising...or the opposite...spending a night or two after cruising before heading home. You can maintain efficiency in your packing without having to completely unpack your suitcase, just taking out the appropriate cube(s).

They are also handy to compartmentalize a bag that would not be as easy to pack efficiently...like a duffle style bag, or other unstructured bag. Or adding some strategic clothing to a carryon bag when you are checking luggage which holds the majority of your clothing.

Packing cubes allow you to pack a suitcase in a way to have more control over what goes where within your luggage so that you can structure the weight distribution to take into account the two UP sides of wheeled bags...being able to place heavier items (or items that will travel well with weight of clothing on top of it without concern for compression and setting wrinkles) not only on the laying flat bottom of the suitcase, but also on the wheeled bottom of the suitcase.

Packing cubes also help to maintain certain styles of folding within your luggage. For instance, if you are familiar with the KonMari method of folding and organizing your home, then the cubes help to maintain those folds in your luggage, making packing that much easier because you don't have to do any specific folding to fit your clothing into your suitcase.

For some clothing, it's nice to segregate certain items...if you have clothing that might be snagged by other clothing...sweaters, certain knits, lace accents, heavy zippers, glittery shirts, delicate sheer fabrics, etc.

I so envy all you one bag packers. Was seriously going the try this method on my European cruise next year, but flying Air Lingus and they only allow around 22 lbs to carry on which is not much when you consider most carry on roller bags weigh from 6-8 lbs. Oh well, maybe down the line will try it on a domestic trip.

BTW, I too am a Sonia's Travels youtube fan. Lots of very useful info in 2-3 minute videos. The one she does on travel neck pillows is a real hoot!!!!

I so envy all you one bag packers. Was seriously going the try this method on my European cruise next year, but flying Air Lingus and they only allow around 22 lbs to carry on which is not much when you consider most carry on roller bags weigh from 6-8 lbs. Oh well, maybe down the line will try it on a domestic trip.

BTW, I too am a Sonia's Travels youtube fan. Lots of very useful info in 2-3 minute videos. The one she does on travel neck pillows is a real hoot!!!!

The trick is to not use wheels. Or look at IT bags. DD has one that weighs 4 pounds. She uses it for almost all her travels, except RyanAir.

Could still check thru the 22" and use a totebag on the plane.

This was my post on another thread, but it's how I use them for a 2 week trip that had both a cold and a hot weather destination:

I used the eBags packing cubes inside. In a 21" carry-on suitcase a large, medium and two smalls worked perfectly.

Here's what I stuffed into them:

In one small cube I packed my lingerie, and in another I packed 5 swimsuits. Not just flimsy bikinis either. I am... how shall I say it... blessed in the chest, so my suits need HARDWARE in them.

In the medium size, (my cold weather cube), I packed 2 long sleeve shirts, 2 sweaters, 2 tank tops, one pair of leggings, 2 pair of socks and a scarf. I could have easily fit more in here.

In the large, (my hot weather cube), I packed a pair of sandals, a maxi dress, 3 short dresses, a swimsuit cover-up, 2 pair of shorts, 2 tank tops, a T-shirt, and a cardigan. Again - there was room left for more.

And here's what it looked like all packed: (the additional small cube fits in the top)

packing2.jpg

I found that they were perfect for multiple destinations especially, so I only had to pull out the cube I needed. Also, they make unpacking very nice, just pull out the cubes and place in the drawers. Anything that needs to be hung is typically in one cube - so deal with that one separately. It also made our security check easier - we got the honor of having our suitcase rifled through, since we went to Turkey.

That was a very clear and concise response to the question. Though I am not the OP, someone gave me a set of these packing cubes and I'd be darned that I had no clue what they were really for...until I read your response. It is very specific. Now I know exactly what I want them for, thank you. :D

Lorie

This was my post on another thread, but it's how I use them for a 2 week trip that had both a cold and a hot weather destination:

I used the eBags packing cubes inside. In a 21" carry-on suitcase a large, medium and two smalls worked perfectly.

Here's what I stuffed into them:

In one small cube I packed my lingerie, and in another I packed 5 swimsuits. Not just flimsy bikinis either. I am... how shall I say it... blessed in the chest, so my suits need HARDWARE in them.

In the medium size, (my cold weather cube), I packed 2 long sleeve shirts, 2 sweaters, 2 tank tops, one pair of leggings, 2 pair of socks and a scarf. I could have easily fit more in here.

In the large, (my hot weather cube), I packed a pair of sandals, a maxi dress, 3 short dresses, a swimsuit cover-up, 2 pair of shorts, 2 tank tops, a T-shirt, and a cardigan. Again - there was room left for more.

And here's what it looked like all packed: (the additional small cube fits in the top)

packing2.jpg

I found that they were perfect for multiple destinations especially, so I only had to pull out the cube I needed. Also, they make unpacking very nice, just pull out the cubes and place in the drawers. Anything that needs to be hung is typically in one cube - so deal with that one separately. It also made our security check easier - we got the honor of having our suitcase rifled through, since we went to Turkey.

Nice picture. It's impressive how much you were able to fit into a 21" carry on bag. For some reason I had been having a hard time imagining how to use the cube set someone gave me. Thanks for the info and picture, I believe I will be using the cubes on our cruise next month. So darned handy for hauling dirty clothes home too. Thank you.

Lorie

Edited by galensgrl
add info

Hi i have heard about packing cubes on here - can someone help explain. when i go to sites that sell these not sure what i might need or how they are supposed to work. what do they do? i know they help you pack but in what way? how do you guys use?

I have used packing cubes and folders for my packing for a long time now. I got my first packing aid at a garage sale and like you I asked myself now that I have them what do I do now? The first thing I discovered there are no real instructions or rules. There are suggestions however and that is where I started. It took some trial and error but in a short time I started to develop a method that works for me. The Internet can be a great help too. I still look for ideas to improve my method.

I think this video is a good starting point.

Shak

So darned handy for hauling dirty clothes home too. Thank you.

Lorie

Yes! They are great for that!

The other nice thing is when you are travelling with kiddos, get different colored cubes for them and then all the clothes are easily separated.

I love packing cubes. I like that once packed, when you put the suitcase upright, you don't have to worry about everything shifting to the bottom. I find I like the medium ebags cubes for me, large for DH.

Agree that Anita and Cactus both did a nice job explaining (and showing). I have had various packing aids over the years, but for several years (since going carry-on only) reverted to just packing!

A mid-sized folder or 9x12 single cube is useful for that quick change of clothes (for two people) when you get in late and leave early from hotel on the first day of a vacation.

Space bags are useful to make your suitcase too heavy! I 'retired' all of mine to storing yarn and fleece!

With the low weight allowances being set for carryons (esp. international) and the rumors that they're going to be enforcing them -- we just bought 2-wheel IT suitcases instead of spinners we were using. They have NO internal dividers for organization, so I bought some of the new BIG BAG ziplocs in 3-gal size, and some zippy freezer bags in 1- and 2-gal sizes. Intending to use this trip following some of the methods suggested in prior posts of this thread.

I've got that same eBags Motherload convertible that Ms. Latte has. I have both the 22" and the 19.5" models. Being wheel-less frees it up for easier fitting in overheads on planes, trains…

I'm buying a new set of cubes this week. I have an original Eagle Creek set - used them since 2000. The eBags 3 set weighs 12 oz, the Eagle Creek set is 8.5 oz, the Eagle Creek Specter set is 2.2 oz (total weight). Specter is great, for pure weight, but they are less formed. There are also some Specter compression bags that sound interesting - uses a zipper to compress - kind of like opening the expansion zipper on a suitcase, packing it, then re-zipping down the expansion zipper. Sounds like something perfect if you still take fleece with you on trips. I already bought a new Specter Wallaby for my new toiletries bag and a Specter Quick Trip for my miscellaneous bag (used my REI rebate :D ).

Got a land trip to Italy coming up in 16 days. I have a 9 hour layover in NYC, so I may be checking whatever bag I take as I don't want to lug around any bag for that long - going into Manhattan. But, since I'll be training it a bit, I'll taking either my 22" Motherlode or my 25" Osprey convertible - the 25" will be if I decide I'm buying new boots and a new suit on the trip ;)

• 1 month later...

Ok, I'm sold! Just ordered the Eagle Creek Pack-It® Specter Starter Set - 3-Piece and the Eagle Creek Pack-It® Specter Wallaby Toiletry Kit - Small from Sierra Trading Post. I'm traveling to Seattle in less than 2 weeks, I'll let you all know how I did!:)

• 8 months later...

I would highly recommend Ikea for packing cubes (http://www.ikea.com/au/en/catalog/products/60235114/#/10235116) a four piece set for $10. If that works for you then maybe purchasing a slim cube (amazon brand store cheaper) or packing folder. In addition interfiling clothes with dry cleaning bags is another great way to pack. In addition before you put anything in your suitcase take a look at all the grooves and crevices. You would be surprised what you can put in them.

Edited by Cruiseoholic000

• 2 weeks later...

I finally decided to try cubes. I am not a really structured person, but I like the idea that the cubes reduce shifting of times and make a segmented trip easier. I bought a set and will be using them on a business trip soon. Will report on how they do. If I like them, I will use them for my cruise this summer.