Black Patent Leather

What do you all think about patent leather? Is it appropriate with a cocktail dress?

I have a pair of peep toe, sling-backs that are very comfortable. The heel is no more than 2 1/2 inches. It is not a spikey heel. What do you think? Or does it really matter. I know "no one will be looking at my feet"! :)

What do you all think about patent leather? Is it appropriate with a cocktail dress?

I have a pair of peep toe, sling-backs that are very comfortable. The heel is no more than 2 1/2 inches. It is not a spikey heel. What do you think? Or does it really matter. I know "no one will be looking at my feet"! :)

You are asking for opinions.....I think they sound lovely.:) A pair of real

black patent leather shoes? Not patent as in "plastic"......

As for the heel, I have never and will never wear "spikey" heels. They

are not my style and for me, they are not comfortable.

A pretty peep toe sounds perfect to me and yes, In my opinion they are

definitely appropriate:)

Oh, since you are asking, I guess it does matter to you:) and that is ok!

Edited by Lois R

Did anyone else go to Catholic school in the 50s & 60s? My mom did, so EVERY discussion of patent leather invokes this book: http://www.amazon.com/Patent-Leather-Really-Reflect-Classics/dp/0829421432/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1453236366&sr=8-1&keywords=black+patent+shoes+reflect+up

41YvNP-BxwL._AC_UL115_.jpg

I had a friend who told me that the nuns used to warn the girls that they shouldn't wear patent leather shoes. We all laughed.

Thank you, Lois and Anita. Not sure where I got the idea that some find patent leather more casual. I will definitely take the shoes on my next cruise. The strappy sandals I have worn in the past just are not comfortable and I always want them off.

Thanks again.

Never heard the "casual" bit before. I always consider black patent as dressy. When I was in elementary school in the 50's and 60's every little girl wore a "party dress" and a pair of black patent shoes to birthday parties and special occasions. A pair of black patent shoes is the "proper" dress shoes for a man's tux. I am not aware that black patent leather has ever gone out of style as an appropriate dress shoe for dressy occasions....maybe it depends where you live(?).

Thank you, Lois and Anita. Not sure where I got the idea that some find patent leather more casual. I will definitely take the shoes on my next cruise. The strappy sandals I have worn in the past just are not comfortable and I always want them off.

Thanks again.

Casual patent leather. Saw few variations of these on our last Princess cruise on Formal night.

http://www.birkenstockexpress.com/ImageLibrary/Footwear/Birkenstock/Arizona_Soft_Footbed/AH681_a_1000.jpg

I have never liked patent leather. To me, it looks like imitation leather and something little grls wear.

Hi Angel, maybe what you have seen was not "true leather"......I know

what you are referring to and real patent leather looks real.

Hi Angel, maybe what you have seen was not "true leather"......I know

what you are referring to and real patent leather looks real.

However, a few years ago, I ordered a $525 pair of genuine leather Bally flats from Zappo's and though the style was gorgeous and beautifully made and the fit was perfect for my freakishly small foot (4.5 narrow), I returned them as I could not abide the look of the patent leather. Way too shiny and it made my feet look even MORE like a pre-schooler's.

Edited by Bookish Angel

However, a few years ago, I ordered a $525 pair of genuine leather Bally flats from Zappo's and though the style was gorgeous and beautifully made and the fit was perfect for my freakishly small foot (4.5 narrow), I returned them as I could not abide the look of the patent leather. Way too shiny and it made my feet look even MORE like a pre-schooler's.

Good morning:)....a 4.5? That is little;)

As for 525.00......that is above my paygrade:eek:

Good morning:)....a 4.5? That is little;)

As for 525.00......that is above my paygrade:eek:

Wimpy feet aren't cheap! Yes, my shoes are often pricey but I re-heel, re-sole, etc. until they disintegrate.

I save money on clothes via thrift stores, consignment shops, etc. and actually live quite frugally otherwise.

Wimpy feet aren't cheap! Yes, my shoes are often pricey but I re-heel, re-sole, etc. until they disintegrate.

I save money on clothes via thrift stores, consignment shops, etc. and actually live quite frugally otherwise.

Hi:),...been out all day. I was not criticizing you. It was just an observation.

I wear a 6.5 medium (sometimes a 7) so normally I can find shoes pretty

easily.

It sure helps to have a good shoe cobbler and, these days, they are harder and harder to find...so many lost "arts".:( We're fortunate to have one who helps my husband get the most out of his "spensive" running shoes until the support dies.

Money for good shoes is always money well spent.

A friend has the opposite problem since she wears a 12.:eek:

Another friend wears a 5 wide...try finding something in that size. Her foot looks like a square box.:D

In my opinion a pair of Birkenstocks are not appropriate footwear for cocktail attire. If you must (or just want to) wear flat sandals, find a pair appropriate to the cocktail dress or cocktail pants suit.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

In my opinion a pair of Birkenstocks are not appropriate footwear for cocktail attire. If you must (or just want to) wear flat sandals, find a pair appropriate to the cocktail dress or cocktail pants suit.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

I'm pretty sure that post was a joke. Or at least making fun of someone prior that wore "dressy" Birkenstocks.

It sure helps to have a good shoe cobbler and, these days, they are harder and harder to find...so many lost "arts".:( We're fortunate to have one who helps my husband get the most out of his "spensive" running shoes until the support dies.

Money for good shoes is always money well spent.

A friend has the opposite problem since she wears a 12.:eek:

Another friend wears a 5 wide...try finding something in that size. Her foot looks like a square box.:D

I agree. I'd much rather spend money on good shoes than on clothes. And I wear a 6.5 wide. Hard to find dressy shoes that don't pinch my bones.

Do you live near a Nordstrom Rack? They have a pretty decent selection of shoes for 5 and under. More than any other store I've seen. My mom and a good friend of mine are 4.5/5 and they shop at NR often.