Boots for Canada/NE Cruise

3dogmom

I'll be cruising October 6th and thinking a good waterproof walking boot would be the best for touring.

I'll be doing a lot of walking so need something with a sole that can handle rocks, cobblestone, etc.

I think my wardrobe will be skinny jeans and leggings with tunics so I was thinking a knee-high boot.

Thoughts/suggestions please!

I have a few pairs of Keen boots (ankle and knee) that I love for travel in cooler temps. Only one pair came as waterproof (and insulated) - but I've had great luck using silicone sprays on the leather - I spray once a year.

Keen sandals don't fit me well but the boots do. I love the soles - very thick, nice grip. I bought the Keen Baby Bern lace up earlier this year and they've gone to Beijing and London with me so far this year - LOTS of walking (including the icy Great Wall at Huanghuacheng!)

For very wet trips, my husband and I both have some goretex walking shoes from Haglofs that are wonderful. Which I choose depends on the weather and the amount of walking I plan to do.....

(for autumn in NE/Canada, I probably would just stick with shoes and not knee high boots, but I'm odd in that I don't even like wearing socks if it's not below 40 outside :p)

I like those Baby Bern boots. My thought with a boot was that I could wear it every day for touring with jeans/leggings and not have to wear my sneakers that I wear to the gym.

I'll look at more Keens and see what they have in knee length.

My first thought is that it will still be way too warm for boots at that time of the year, but then I'm used to Canadian cold and the snow has to be ankle deep before I switch to boots.

Your primary focus should be on comfort, then waterproofing. I would be looking at good stout walking shoes that are or can be waterproofed.

My first thought is that it will still be way too warm for boots at that time of the year, but then I'm used to Canadian cold and the snow has to be ankle deep before I switch to boots.

Your primary focus should be on comfort, then waterproofing. I would be looking at good stout walking shoes that are or can be waterproofed.

50/60 degrees is boot weather for FL!

I'm definitely focusing on comfort, but I want comfort and stylish and a suitcase under 50# :D

Keen has several options in the knee height (including another version of the baby been without the sweater cabling). I can't remember the names of mine - my brown have a zip side and are waterproof and insulated and o got them years ago from Sierra trading Post. My current black knee height are a very soft leather pullon style - no zipper.

I do buy the boots a half size large as I find keen a teeny bit small and I like to wear socks with the boots usually.

There are other boot brands that would work for you, I'm sure. See if regular brands you wear that are comfortable make boots. Teva work on me. Merrells, sadly, do not. Blondos and LA Canadienne are good brands if you have narrow feet. (Which I do not, but one of my step moms does)

Keen has several options in the knee height (including another version of the baby been without the sweater cabling). I can't remember the names of mine - my brown have a zip side and are waterproof and insulated and o got them years ago from Sierra trading Post. My current black knee height are a very soft leather pullon style - no zipper.

I do buy the boots a half size large as I find keen a teeny bit small and I like to wear socks with the boots usually.

There are other boot brands that would work for you, I'm sure. See if regular brands you wear that are comfortable make boots. Teva work on me. Merrells, sadly, do not. Blondos and LA Canadienne are good brands if you have narrow feet. (Which I do not, but one of my step moms does)

This definitely helps. I do have narrow feet so I'll try LA Canadienne. I've never heard of that brand.

I would be prepared to pack a variety of items and finalize my decision based on the weather forecast right before I leave. Since most of my travel is in the shoulder season (and not to the Caribbean), that's pretty much what I do every time. My main layers are mid-weight and good from cold to somewhat warm. If it will be VERY cold or VERY hot, I'll change the packing list more, but in the middle - just adjust an outer layer - maybe a cashmere sweater instead of silk, or bring silk long underwear, but the main layers stay the same.

October in NE/maritime Canada could be anything - but you don't want to PACK for "anything", just check right before you pack for your trip;)

From the mountain gal:

Look at the Sorel Slimpack Riding boot or the Slimboot. NOT winter boots, but fun leather boots that are fun to wear in the rain. I desperately wanted the Slimpack, but my surgically "enhanced" ankle doesn't like the fit around it :(

From the mountain gal:

Look at the Sorel Slimpack Riding boot or the Slimboot. NOT winter boots, but fun leather boots that are fun to wear in the rain. I desperately wanted the Slimpack, but my surgically "enhanced" ankle doesn't like the fit around it :(

I really like the Sorel Major Lace boot. Might be a better option and something I can wear in the fall/winters here in FL. Looks like a good walking non-slip sole.

I really like the Sorel Major Lace boot. Might be a better option and something I can wear in the fall/winters here in FL. Looks like a good walking non-slip sole.

Those are cute for a chukka-style boot. I thought you wanted tall boots to wear with skinnies and leggings, hence the rec for the Slims...

I wouldn't bother with a boot the week of October 6. A good walking shoe is all I ever need on a Canada/NE itinerary and I've sailed that route many times. Boston is home for me.

I'm curious where you will be that makes you expect lots of rocks and cobblestones?

Edited by sail7seas

I switched to to hiking boots and shoes a long time ago for my everyday shoes. I like the boot better these days because they give me better support but I find both hiking shoes and boots better made and last longer then normal walking shoes. I opt for the waterproof ones because where I live we get a fair amount of rain and snow and the only real difference is a thin layer of waterproof material.

I think hiking shoes or boots are prefect for a cruise. With one pair of shoes you can handle any type of weather and terrain as well as, in my opinion, comfortable footwear. Hikers are on their feet all day and the shoes better be comfortable.

There are cobblestone streets in Quebec City.

I like Merrell.

Shak

Those are cute for a chukka-style boot. I thought you wanted tall boots to wear with skinnies and leggings, hence the rec for the Slims...

Tall boots is what I was thinking, but these booties can also be worn with leggings/skinny jeans.

I know the weather is all over the place that time of year, so it will be a wait and see.

I wouldn't bother with a boot the week of October 6. A good walking shoe is all I ever need on a Canada/NE itinerary and I've sailed that route many times. Boston is home for me.

I'm curious where you will be that makes you expect lots of rocks and cobblestones?

Acadia Nat'l Park and Peggy's Cove are the 2 places I was mainly thinking of that a sturdier shoe/boot would be better than a sneaker.

I live in Florida too and have lived here for over 50 years actually.

I respectfully disagree about 50s'/60s being boot weather. I am in

the Northern part of the state and during various winters it has been

in the 20s and 30s here and I have never worn boots. I don't own them

and even for Alaskan cruises I never needed them. Walking shoes and

socks have always worked for well for me. There are plenty of choices

of shoes with good soles and footbeds for walking out in the marketplace.

Boots (In my opinion) are too large, take up too much space and are

unnecessary.

Hope you have a wonderful cruise.:) I want to do that New England/

Eastern Canada itinerary one day:)

Edited by Lois R

I live in Florida too and have lived here for over 50 years actually.

I respectfully disagree about 50s'/60s being boot weather. I am in

the Northern part of the state and during various winters it has been

in the 20s and 30s here and I have never worn boots. I don't own them

and even for Alaskan cruises I never needed them. Walking shoes and

socks have always worked for well for me. There are plenty of choices

of shoes with good soles and footbeds for walking out in the marketplace.

Boots (In my opinion) are too large, take up too much space and are

unnecessary.

I live in the Tampa Bay area and we love wearing our boots! It's more of a fashionable thing; not "it's below 60 so I don't want my feet to freeze" thing.

I live in the Tampa Bay area and we love wearing our boots! It's more of a fashionable thing; not "it's below 60 so I don't want my feet to freeze" thing.

Hi, you were asking for opinions so I gave mine. Glad you are happy

wearing your boots:)....I am not a boot person, never have been and

never will be.

Hi, you were asking for opinions so I gave mine. Glad you are happy

wearing your boots:)....I am not a boot person, never have been and

never will be.

Um, nope. Never asked your opinion on you wearing boots in FL.

I know you're a regular and get lots of kudos, but no need to chime in on every thread.:)

Um, nope. Never asked your opinion on you wearing boots in FL.

I know you're a regular and get lots of kudos, but no need to chime in on every thread.:)

WOW:eek:.....I will now unsubscribe from your thread. Oh, I don't chime

in on every thread......I thought you were asking for thoughts about boots

for your cruise. I don't think they are needed...that was my thought.

Sorry to have bothered you.

Edited by Lois R

One reason I love my soft leather no zip keens is they pack quite nicely. I'm also happy to wear boots on the plane if I don't want to take up space in my bag. If you want to wear/ bring boots, there are certainly ways to make it work! (I have global entry so I get tsa precheck - no need to take off my shoes at the airport, but even if I do - many airports don't have precheck lines for international arrivals - it doesn't take me long to get them on & off :-)