Question: "Inside Access Ship Tour"

beltane

Has anyone done the Inside Access Ship Tour? My husband has always wanted to see the "inner workings" of a cruise ship and I am tempted to book it for him as a fun surprise for him to do on the first sea day. It is $120... seems awfully expensive for a 2 hour event that doesn't even include lunch. I'm wondering if anyone has done it and enjoyed it.

We did it on Harmony of the Seas, we paid a lot more than $120, it was fantastic.

Thanks!

He's always wanted to see the "guts" of a ship... I'm constantly saying to him "You aren't allowed down that hall!" or "You can't go in there..." I think I will take a chance and just book it for him.

Thanks!

He's always wanted to see the "guts" of a ship... I'm constantly saying to him "You aren't allowed down that hall!" or "You can't go in there..." I think I will take a chance and just book it for him.

One of the things I was most impressed with was the laundry, incredible. They were three floors below the water line, obviously no windows and hot. The machines were amazing. I have a great respect for those crew members.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I've done several, behind the scenes tours, on CONSTELLATION + INFINITY..... all were very good.

I'm confused about your mentioning " no lunch" included. ???

You say its a 2 hr "tour", + you are on the ship--- with all the dining/ buffet options that are normally available... ?????

Has anyone done the Inside Access Ship Tour? My husband has always wanted to see the "inner workings" of a cruise ship and I am tempted to book it for him as a fun surprise for him to do on the first sea day. It is $120... seems awfully expensive for a 2 hour event that doesn't even include lunch. I'm wondering if anyone has done it and enjoyed it.

It is $89/person on an upcoming Celebrity cruise I have booked.

Is the $120 you indicate for one or for two people?

I've done several, behind the scenes tours, on CONSTELLATION + INFINITY..... all were very good.

I'm confused about your mentioning " no lunch" included. ???

You say its a 2 hr "tour", + you are on the ship--- with all the dining/ buffet options that are normally available... ?????

It was just a question...

It is $89/person on an upcoming Celebrity cruise I have booked.

Is the $120 you indicate for one or for two people?

One person. I took a screen shot showing the price for the Reflection tour (hope I do this correctly, not very experienced at attaching photos here)...

880761909_Screenshot2016-12-21at8_01_12AM.jpg.1bde62cf9987ae5ac891ef69ad635644.jpg

Celebrity does a kitchen tour and a backstage theater tour for free that you register on board for. Both come with a complimentary glass of mimosa or sparkling wine. I heard the bridge tours for Elites and higher are also free.

I believe the tour you're describing is a lot more extensive into the bowels of the ship. ;)

Edited by ChucktownSteve

One person. I took a screen shot showing the price for the Reflection tour (hope I do this correctly, not very experienced at attaching photos here)...

$120 CAD? That's way better than the $150 USD! Almost looks like they inverted the exchange rate. Might have to pick up some canadian $$ before our cruise :)

I wonder if this is one of those negotiable things once you get onboard.

I went into the Manage My Reservation on the X site and booked us for this "excursion" on our upcoming cruise on the Eclipse. USD$89pp, 2 hours, choice of a 10:00am or 2:00pm start time on each of the sea days. I remember on another ship when I first saw such an option it was WAY more expensive and we passed it by. I do not understand why the pricing varies so much over time and ship-to-ship; they may be doing a bit of market research to find out how low they have to go to attract enough people...

I did the tour - but I can't remember if it was on Royal or Celebrity. It was worth doing - at least once. We were in the kitchen, where they stored food in the belly of the ship, crew area, laundry, garbage, engineer's area (computers), and the bridge. We met the captain and took pics while sitting in his chair. It did seem on the expensive side, but I enjoyed it even tho' I'm not a ship geek like some of the people.

I went into the Manage My Reservation on the X site and booked us for this "excursion" on our upcoming cruise on the Eclipse. USD$89pp, 2 hours, choice of a 10:00am or 2:00pm start time on each of the sea days. I remember on another ship when I first saw such an option it was WAY more expensive and we passed it by. I do not understand why the pricing varies so much over time and ship-to-ship; they may be doing a bit of market research to find out how low they have to go to attract enough people...

There must be different tours. The one I found on the Celebrity website was $150 USD for a THREE hour tour. http://www.celebritycruises.com/onboard-celebrity/inside-access-tours

On my celebrity, I see the 2-Hour $89 tour for the first sea day.

https://secure.celebritycruises.com/cruiseplanner/category/2002/product/100000003133637327

Overview

Discover the answers to a question we get asked on every voyage, “How does a ship so big run so smoothly?” Find out on a behind-the-scenes tour that reveals the technology, teamwork, and tons of supplies that go into creating your Celebrity Cruise. Start in the Main Dining Room with a little hands-on lesson from the staff, and then, visit the Main Galley to see how our culinary team artfully prepares about 25,000 meals for our guests and crew each and every day. It’s an impressive achievement, especially when you think about all the exotic flavors you get to enjoy in Modern Luxury style aboard your Celebrity Cruise ship. Next up, pop into provisioning for a jaw-dropping look at the sheer volume of ingredients it takes to make it all happen. Here’s a little preview. We go through roughly 8,500 lbs of watermelon on every cruise. Not to mention, 10,000 bananas and 32,000 potatoes (give or take a few). Continue to the Engine Control Room, where expert engineers monitor the ship’s engines and onboard machinery - 24/7. You’ll learn how the engines do more than turn the giant props. They power all our onboard systems, including air-conditioning, refrigeration, plumbing and many others. This is the heart and soul of the cruise ship and you’ll enjoy a rare up-close look at how it operates. Afterwards, go for stroll down I-95, the “main highway” for the crew. It runs down the center of the ship and is named after the longest highway on the U.S. East Coast. Your next stop is Laundry, where thousands of items are cleaned and crisply folded every day– napkins to linens to beach towels. Marvel at massive machines that can hold 264 lbs. of laundry in every load. To put that in perspective, it’s like doing 14 loads of laundry in your machine at home all at once. The tour concludes with a real treat – a visit to the Bridge, where all the ship’s onboard systems are controlled. Step up and witness advanced navigation and communications equipment in action, and scan the sea from the same vantage point your Captain uses to chart the way. If you’ve ever wondered what it takes to run a cruise ship, this inside access tour provides plenty of answers, great insight, and a whole lot of excitement.

Edited by D C

We did a 3 hour tour last year. It included visits to the bridge, engine control room, anchor area, laundry, food and beverage storage, kitchen prep, crew areas, rear of theater, etc. It ended with a wine pairing lunch in Tuscan Grill with 2 crew members. We enjoyed ourselves. It was more like $150 dollars each.

Has anyone also done the Princess tour to compare? It was 150 which included lots of bling like bathrobes, pictures with frames, pads of paper, and some other stuff. Met the captain, backstage, kitchen, laundry, anchor, engineering, print shop, kitchen, food storage, etc. no lunch. Just a snack and a glass of bubbly. But it as awesome. Just wondering if it's worth doing again if we already did the Princess tour.

Celebrity does a kitchen tour and a backstage theater tour for free that you register on board for. Both come with a complimentary glass of mimosa or sparkling wine. I heard the bridge tours for Elites and higher are also free.

I believe the tour you're describing is a lot more extensive into the bowels of the ship. ;)

When and how should you register for the free tours?

When and how should you register for the free tours?

The galley tour is not a sign-up deal. The Daily and other sources will announce a 10:30am meeting point, MDR lowest deck. Show up, sit at a table, wait for your table to be called, paired with the jr waitstaff/kitchenstaff who will lead you through. Interesting and fun. We've done it once on a Royal ship, twice on X.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We booked the $150 tour on the Constellation recently. It didn't go ahead due to lack of numbers. I got the impression they weren't really interested in running it because it was not advertised at all.