What do you do-week before you cruise?

BugsMomma

The day before we begin traveling is the always the worst for me ... so many things can't be done until the last minute. :rolleyes:

Do any of the rest of you find this to be true as well?

LuLu

I cruise 1 week from today. What are the things that you do the last week before you cruise?

I'm usually all packed by now. I haven't even started for this one yet. :(

Work until the day before we leave and then pack that night. It's just another regular week.

So glad I read this thread, three of us became citizens last year so we all have new passports but the original American in our family turns 5 in a few weeks which means that, yes his passport expires shortly after! Oops!

The day before we begin traveling is the always the worst for me ... so many things can't be done until the last minute. :rolleyes:

Do any of the rest of you find this to be true as well?

LuLu

Yes, I totally agree LuLu. Some things I can pack ahead of time, but I wait until the day before we leave to pack clothes.

Before we left the house for our last cruise, I stripped the bed and put the sheets in the washer, then the dryer. I put new sheets on before we left as well. This next cruise, I probably won't wash them, but will change.

I will vacuum the day before and clean bathrooms and kitchen before we leave. I am getting excited already, and don't leave until next April.

This thread makes me glad I don't own a car or a house, my list is much simpler!

I tend to make sure I do any laundry for things I want to bring and set them aside sometime in the week before and then wait to pack until the night before. I make sure I have any meds and toiletries I need. I also make sure I have all the cat food and extra litter I need for the cat sitter. The day before, I'll go online and set up travel alerts for my credit cards.

Otherwise, I just suffer through work until it's finally time to go :cool:

I cruise 1 week from today. What are the things that you do the last week before you cruise?

Work and make as much money as I possibly can ;)

Check long range weather forecasts for areas we'll be traveling through and to.

Adjust packing lists as needed.

Charge batteries & spares for cameras.

Double check chargers for iPhones, iPads, laptop. Plug adapters as needed.

Stop by bank, get cash for tips, cash as needed for excursions. Let them know travel plans.

Call credit card companies (or via online) with travel plans.

Check documentation: cruise paperwork, excursion vouchers etc., passports.

Scan all documentation, store on laptop and iPads.

Check stay-behind lists for house/cat sitter. Adequate cat food? Emergency numbers? Neighbors notified? Emergency cash?

Check packing list. Pull all travel clothes from the closet. Check packing list for all items taken but not used last time. Put 1/3 clothes back in closet. Do a trial packing of clothes. Put another 1/3 clothes back in closet. Check on laundry soap, clothes line.

Buy new smaller suitcase.

Go back to bank, get more cash.

Recheck weather forecasts. Recheck lists. Repeat until it is time to pack and depart for the airport.

A lot of good ideas here.

Not sure if anyone mentioned this yet.

I like to get a haircut a week before we leave. :)

My wife has to have her hair done the same day or day before we leave.

Would you believe that she has her appointment with the hairstylist already booked for our cruise in October. :D:D

I also get super active on our roll call, logging on several times a day to see the latest updated.

DW will start laying out clothes [nagging me to lay out clothes] on the spare table to try and sort what we need to take.

Make sure all on-line check-in is done and documents printed.

Double check anything we are desperate to do in port.

Make sure DD knows what she needs to do while we are away, perhaps pay a few bills.

I agree with most of the posts on here

First thing is I call my two credit card companies and let them know I am traveling so they don't cancel my card.

Slowly pack I find this is the first cruise Ive been on where I have not packed a week early.

Also I like to clean the house really good because I don't want to come home to a house that I have to clean after being gone for a 7-10 days

Put a hold on the mail.

Empty fridge.

Hook up timer on lights.

Make sure security cameras are working.

Check cruise docs/passports.

Call my friend to check on the house.

And last but certainly not least, go through my closet and pack all of my fat clothes because God knows, I am going to need them.:D

• 3 weeks later...
[quote name='GottaKnowWhen']Check long range weather forecasts for areas we'll be traveling through and to.
Adjust packing lists as needed.
Charge batteries & spares for cameras.
Double check chargers for iPhones, iPads, laptop. Plug adapters as needed.
Stop by bank, get cash for tips, cash as needed for excursions. Let them know travel plans.
Call credit card companies (or via online) with travel plans.
Check documentation: cruise paperwork, excursion vouchers etc., passports.
Scan all documentation, store on laptop and iPads.
Check stay-behind lists for house/cat sitter. Adequate cat food? Emergency numbers? Neighbors notified? Emergency cash?
Check packing list. Pull all travel clothes from the closet. Check packing list for all items taken but not used last time. [B]Put 1/3 clothes back in closet. Do a trial packing of clothes. Put another 1/3 clothes back in closet. [/B]
Check on laundry soap, clothes line.
Buy new smaller suitcase.
Go back to bank, get more cash.
Recheck weather forecasts. Recheck lists. Repeat until it is time to pack and depart for the airport.[/QUOTE]

So many good tips, but the putting back of the clothes is the hardest for me! I've learned that I need to take less clothes and more money. :D

[quote name='Winnigirl']Apologize to the cat....over, and over, and over.[/QUOTE]

I really like this one. Please add a Like Button Cruise Critic. ;)

The week before a cruise, ahh such a wonderful thought.

Pick up dry cleaning.

Print up packing list.

Print Up travel notes, tickets, Cabin Crawl and Slot Pull Lists and arrange in a plastic folder.

Pick up cash at the bank and get smaller notes for tips.

Begin putting various items in my carry on bag ie: toothpaste and brush, medications, favorite cruise lapel pins.

Make sure we have enough dog food and the fridge is stocked for my mother-n-law watching our dog.

Post frequently on the Roll Call.

Count the hours..

Jonathan Edited by cruiserking