Please share your thoughts...

Gr8ful One

Hello, I have never posted here before, but I am very interested in your opinions.

As a victory celebration, my husband and I are taking our grown kids on a Celebrity cruise, Jan 3rd. You see, breast cancer came looking for a fight, 2 years ago and I WON!!!

Here's my question to you: daughter and I are extremely tall, I'm 6', she's 6'3". We really want to live it up and go all out for the fancy shmancy occasions, but finding dresses that will fit us (most that size are made for cross dressers, I think), is not easy.

Last week, I come across dresses from China, on eBay, and for $45, we can get dresses that are hemmed to our specs.

How bad can they be?? Even if we only get one might out of them, how wonderful, right???

I appreciate any and all thoughts you may have that would be of help to me!

Sissy

There are ladies here who have had good luck with some of the dresses/gowns from China. Hopefully, they will show up and tell you which seller they liked. Sheri, aka, Drew's wife is one poster who has bought quite a number but it doesn't seem like she's been around lately. Sheri, where are you?

Congratulations on your "win".:)

Hi Sissy, I don't have any experience with the dresses from China, but I am just shy of 6'. You may want to try on some Adrianna Papell gowns. I have bought several that I had to have altered because they were way too long. Another designer that runs long is JS Collections.

Lisa

Sissy, congratulations on winning the fight.

I have only ordered one dress China, it was pictured as a red velvet full skirted dress, it looks beautiful in the picture.

It is rather cheap looking, so I have never worn it. One of these days it will be on a hanger at Goodwill.

I buy my evening dresses from the online sales at Dillards, Saks, NM etc. I sign up for notifications.

And most of the time you can get dresses costing in the hundreds for around one hundred or less. Every one of those dresses are outstanding in quality and design.

They are also usually very very long. I am not tall, but they are worth the trouble of hemming. I bet that they would be perfect lengths for you. And the dress descriptions usually tell you the models heights.

I know that paying $30 for an evening dress sounds better than paying $100, but my $30 dress is a donation waiting to happen. My other gowns are beautiful keepers.

I do understand that others have found sellers from China that they are satisfied with, and hopefully they will share that information. I may even give them another try.

As I know that often there are real bargains to be found that do not cost the big bucks.. I was just sharing my (limited to one) experience with them.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Forums mobile app

First of all, congratulations with your fight against cancer.

About those dresses from China.... Do a google search and you will hear lots about them, many negative in nature. Seems main problem is the dress is not as advertised (color off, not the same fabric, poorly made, etc.). Although they do take returns it is almost impossible to get the dress back in time to actually get your money refunded (read some of the stories).

If I were to purchase one, I would go into it willing to lose the cost of the dress if I had problems.

Hope you find something great for your cruise!

Hey, I sure am glad to read these responses! I have seen those Adrienne dresses for reasonable and have considered them.

Another suggested that I go thru the resale shops.

We've been on one other cruise before and as I recall the dining room was kind of dark, but dark enough to hide the flaws of a cheap dress, not sure.

In the end, I guess it's all about personal taste, I think I'm gathering.

I have 2 months, perhaps I'll order one and see how cheap it looks!?

If I were to purchase one, I would go into it willing to lose the cost of the dress if I had problems.

Hope you find something great for your cruise!

That is the way I went into it, For $30 I did not think it worth the time and trouble to try to return it.

And lights being dim in a room would not have hid the fact that it felt scratchy and it drooped.

The reason I mentioned the Dillards stores etc. is because they sold dresses that were made for women a lot taller than me lol and that was one of your requirements.

I could have made a wrap out of what I cut off of them. :D

Agree with the lady that said you do not need designer dresses, I would not spend the thousands for "designer", I try to get away with as reasonable a price as I can. My cruise formals range from $25 (a great resale find) to one $115 dress.

And they will all do multiple cruises or years to come.

And.. one of the best times to be shopping for bargains in formals is in Jan/Feb in this area. That is when I shopped this year to replace dresses that had done duty for the last 20 years lol.. so if the cruise bug bits you, have fun in the search.

Enjoy your cruise

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Forums mobile app

Congrats on kicking Cancer's butt:D and I hope you and your family

have a wonderful cruise:)........oh, HAPPY THANKSGIVING today.

Sounds like you have alot to be thankful for!:D

Congratulations on winning your fight!

For me, if something doesn't fit properly, or doesn't "feel" right, I don't feel dressy and celebratory -- I feel uncomfortable and awkward. Cheap fabrics or a bad cut can ruin the nicest style, too. If you don't mind those kinds of things (it isn't an issue for everyone, just me I think :) ), then IMHO it is worth the gamble of $30 or $45.

Congrats again! Get as glammed as you want, and truly celebrate :D

I've bought dresses from Light in the Box, Izidresses (my wedding dress), and Ever Pretty. I've had no real problems and found Light in the Box to have the best quality, and Ever Pretty the worst. I did custom measurements for my wedding dress and it was perfect.

I've had success with buying gowns online for weddings and special occasions. Ranging from 30 to 110 for a custom made dress. Always happy but I am not very tall so the fit is good. If you are 6' + unsure if some of the Asian off the rack designs will fit well.

Just do a search for Plus size or large size womens clothing. Forget China. I usually cruise X. You will see most females in cocktail attire for formal nights, not gowns.

The OP said she and daughter were very tall which does not necessarily make them plus size. My college roommate was over 6" tall and she was skinny.;):)

There are ladies here who have had good luck with some of the dresses/gowns from China. Hopefully, they will show up and tell you which seller they liked. Sheri, aka, Drew's wife is one poster who has bought quite a number but it doesn't seem like she's been around lately. Sheri, where are you?

Congratulations on your "win".:)

I'm still kicking! Just been really busy at work. Seems like I don't get the chance to hang out here much lately.

Hello, I have never posted here before, but I am very interested in your opinions.

As a victory celebration, my husband and I are taking our grown kids on a Celebrity cruise, Jan 3rd. You see, breast cancer came looking for a fight, 2 years ago and I WON!!!

Here's my question to you: daughter and I are extremely tall, I'm 6', she's 6'3". We really want to live it up and go all out for the fancy shmancy occasions, but finding dresses that will fit us (most that size are made for cross dressers, I think), is not easy.

Last week, I come across dresses from China, on eBay, and for $45, we can get dresses that are hemmed to our specs.

How bad can they be?? Even if we only get one might out of them, how wonderful, right???

I appreciate any and all thoughts you may have that would be of help to me!

Sissy

Welcome to the Fashion Boards. First and foremost, congratulations on your recovery! :) As a couple of the ladies have told you, I have used a seller on Ebay from China many times over the last few years. I have had about 25 made. I've never been disappointed.

I always use the same seller and they have always been great. You just have to be sure and communicate with them exactly what you want. Be very specific about your measurements. Usually the dresses are very long and I would have to have them hemmed, then I found that they would make them to specific lengths.

I have never had a problem with the colors. They have sent me color charts and they have a huge assortment to choose from. I'll be glad to post some of the photos or send them to you in an email if you would like to see some of the dresses. They are very nice and the turnaround time is very quick. I usually have the dresses within a couple of weeks. Of course you have to take into consideration the upcoming Holidays. Once again be very specific about when you need the dress.

Another thing to watch for. Some of the dresses may say $50, but when you look at the shipping it could be over a $100. Be very careful. The seller that I use never charges over $28 for shipping. I can honestly say that I was worried the first time I ordered a dress. (ask about the infamous green gown) It was beautiful, the workmanship was amazing, and great customer service.

As far as Ever Pretty. I bought three cocktail dresses (different colors) and they were great. I bought three evening gowns and could only wear one of them. The other two were really horrible and so for that reason I really don't recommend them. Although others have had good luck with them. They won't do custom measurement and that makes all the difference.

I just recently ordered two more dresses from the seller I use and I can hardly wait to wear them on our upcoming cruise. If there are any other questions that I can help with, I will be more than happy to. Please just ask. Have a wonderful cruise.

Congratulations on winning the fight!

My thoughts: Get as dressed up as you like; you can do black pants any time.

Re ordering from China: Even though many have had good luck doing that, apart from a concern about fit, color, etc., I would be concerned about timely delivery. In September I purchased cheap earrings from three different online sellers in China and Hong Kong. Two pairs arrived, one a month later, and one two months later. The third pair has not yet arrived, and probably never will. Not worth the stress, if it's something you do hope to have and wear in January.

Most of my gown/cocktail dress shopping is done at thrift and resale shops, where there are so many different brands to check out. The dresses have usually been worn only once (or never), and I can get $300 dresses for $15. Always worth a look; if the store doesn't have fitting rooms, wear something sleek under your coat so you can try on.

Have a wonderful, happy cruise!

Welcome to the Fashion Boards. First and foremost' date=' congratulations on your recovery! :) As a couple of the ladies have told you, I have used a seller on Ebay from China many times over the last few years. I have had about 25 made. I've never been disappointed.

I always use the same seller and they have always been great. You just have to be sure and communicate with them exactly what you want. Be very specific about your measurements. Usually the dresses are very long and I would have to have them hemmed, then I found that they would make them to specific lengths.

I have never had a problem with the colors. They have sent me color charts and they have a huge assortment to choose from. I'll be glad to post some of the photos or send them to you in an email if you would like to see some of the dresses. They are very nice and the turnaround time is very quick. I usually have the dresses within a couple of weeks. Of course you have to take into consideration the upcoming Holidays. Once again be very specific about when you need the dress.

Another thing to watch for. Some of the dresses may say $50, but when you look at the shipping it could be over a $100. Be very careful. The seller that I use never charges over $28 for shipping. I can honestly say that I was worried the first time I ordered a dress. (ask about the infamous green gown) It was beautiful, the workmanship was amazing, and great customer service.

As far as Ever Pretty. I bought three cocktail dresses (different colors) and they were great. I bought three evening gowns and could only wear one of them. The other two were really horrible and so for that reason I really don't recommend them. Although others have had good luck with them. They won't do custom measurement and that makes all the difference.

I just recently ordered two more dresses from the seller I use and I can hardly wait to wear them on our upcoming cruise. If there are any other questions that I can help with, I will be more than happy to. Please just ask. Have a wonderful cruise.[/quote']

Hi Sherry -- Do you mind sharing the contact info of your seller? I've looked at the boards and your gowns are beautiful.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi Sherry -- Do you mind sharing the contact info of your seller? I've looked at the boards and your gowns are beautiful.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thank you! :) Here is the seller that I have used. I have always had good service. If you don't see what you are looking for...you can send them a photo of a dress and they will make it just as you like. Hope it works for you. If this link doesn't work, let me know and I will try again.

Have a good evening.

http://stores.ebay.com/eveningdressstore?_trksid=p2047675.l2563