Zika Virus Cruise while Pregnant?

TeamAguilar

We have a cruise planned for late August to the Eastern Caribbean, we just saw that Puerto Rico and St Maarten are on the CDC's list.

My wife will be 22 weeks at the time of cruise, should we cancel? We could take another cruise, Alasks, Hawaii, Mexico? We really wanted to go to the Eastern Caribbean. A couple ports will be new to us but obviously if we are taking an unnecessary risk then perhaps it's not worth it.

I also feel like our doctor and CDC will always err on the side of caution. We travel to Mexico regularly and this is also listed on the CDC zika list.

What would you do?

I know... you've had this trip planned, you really want to go there, very excited. Perhaps the whole Zika scare is overblown, but there is a lot we don't know, and the experts are urging caution. So...

Why risk it?

If I was in your shoes, I would cancel without hesitation and come up with plan b.

We have a cruise planned for late August to the Eastern Caribbean, we just saw that Puerto Rico and St Maarten are on the CDC's list.

My wife will be 22 weeks at the time of cruise, should we cancel? We could take another cruise, Alasks, Hawaii, Mexico? We really wanted to go to the Eastern Caribbean. A couple ports will be new to us but obviously if we are taking an unnecessary risk then perhaps it's not worth it.

I also feel like our doctor and CDC will always err on the side of caution. We travel to Mexico regularly and this is also listed on the CDC zika list.

What would you do?

We have a cruise planned to the Caribbean in November and we just got the advisory alerts from Princess. If it were me and I was pregnant, no way would I chance it. Even if she didn't get bit but you did, you could pass it on to her and your unborn child. I wouldn't go, however, I'm beyond giving birth. Go to Alaska instead, the beauty is overwhelming. JMHO.

Just imagine how awesome it will be some day to take your beautiful, healthy child on a cruise to the Caribbean. You can tell them about that time they went to Alaska before they were even born. :) Congrats!

Edited by originalgeek

What would you do?

If you are cruising late August, you must be at or past final payment. Do you have insurance? Would this be a covered situation? A rescheduled cruise would have to be the same time or earlier, or you would be past the pregnancy threshold... EM

I was trying to get pregnant when we booked our upcoming Caribbean cruise, and I did a lot of research trying to decide what to do if I became pregnant. There's a lot of scary information out there, but chances are you will not get Zika if you take precautions.

With that being said, you may not be able to relax and have fun if you're worried about being bitten by a mosquito the whole time. Plus, how worried and stressed will you both be leading up to the cruise and during the sailing? I would cancel - especially if I could make it work another time. Seems like the benefits don't outweigh the risk here, even though odds are neither one of you will get Zika.

As a mother of a child with microcephally, why take a risk.

Someone said in a previous post, a child with special needs requires a life time of care.

The fact that you would even consider something that could harm your unborn child is so puzzling to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Thanks everyone, agree. We are going to cancel. Working on Alaska or Western Mexico, not as exciting but not worth taking the risk.

We have a 2 year old and a cruise around Japan sounds amazing but that flight with a 2 year old! :eek:

People need to ask themselves these questions when considering a cruise to the Caribbean while they are pregnant. Do I smoke when I'm pregnant? Do I drink alcohol when pregnant? Do I take drugs when pregnant? If the answer to those questions are no, you then have your answer to the cruising question.

Glad that you cancelled but I am going to live this post up anyway.

What are you guys thinking of. I am sure that your wife is doing all the things that women do today to ensure that their child is born healthy. They you are thinking of this.

Sure the chances of her getting sick are slim but they are not zero. Will you be able to live with knowing that you made a really dumb mistake for the rest of your life and also the rest of your child's life.

Cancel. Your proposed destination will always be there.

DON

Edited by donaldsc

Are you Alex & Erika from Youtube? I've watched a lot of you videos :)

Yes, ha ha thanks. My editing is slowly getting better. I am actually re-editing a lot of my Med cruise videos now.

Thanks for viewing!

Glad that you cancelled but I am going to live this post up anyway.

What are you guys thinking of. I am sure that your wife is doing all the things that women do today to ensure that their child is born healthy. They you are thinking of this.

Sure the chances of her getting sick are slim but they are not zero. Will you be able to live with knowing that you made a really dumb mistake for the rest of your life and also the rest of your child's life.

Cancel. Your proposed destination will always be there.

DON

Totally agree, we just had not heard much until our visit to the doctor on Wednesday. I was following Zika in the news and had heard about Brazil, etc but when we mentioned our Caribbean cruise to our Doctor with a stop in St Maarten and San Juan our Doctor was quick to say wait wait wait one second!

We have cancelled and will work on something else. :)