Paul Reynolds moving on

I've learned that veteran Regent Cruise Director Paul Reynolds has tendered his resignation and will be joining Viking Ocean Cruises. From what I understand, Paul will start as Cruise Director for each new Viking Ocean roll-out, starting with the Star next year, and then will likely become Viking's director of entertainment, in charge of cruise director hiring among other duties.

We never had the pleasure of sailing with Paul, but know how highly many of you regard him. His departure is obviously a blow to Regent, while being a great "get" for Viking

Rich

We left the Mariner yesterday and thought that Paul was probably the most disinterested and unfriendly cruise director that we have ever encountered. He was OK on the morning TV program but on a one to one basis he gave the impression throughout the cruise that he didn't want to be there. He had little interaction with passengers around the ship and it was only on the last night when the captain said that he would be taking "an extended vacation" that we realised that he was leaving.

It's a shame as he was obviously popular with past cruisers and it may have been better for all concerned if he had left immediately after he handed in his notice so that he could go to Viking and leave Regent on a high note.

Paul was on our last cruise and I agree - he was not one of my favorite's. While he seemed to have his admirers on board, he appeared to be distant and when I once provided he with a suggestion with regard to keeping children on the board entertained during a sea day, he completely blew me off.

gnomie :)

IMO, it is up to the parents to keep children entertained -- all of the time. Regent is basically an adult cruise line -- they run programs for children on certain itineraries (generally in the summer and/or school breaks). I cannot imagine why a parent would take a child that requires entertainment on Regent.

Sorry if this sounds harsh but I find this thread disturbing. Paul is a very private person (and, IMO, a great Cruise Director). If he wanted to share information about an extended vacation or departing Regent, he would have. Most C.D.'s have difficultly being "on" all of the time. Even Ray Solaire who most people adore isn't very friendly when he is moving around the ship rather quickly trying to get his job done.

While everyone has opinions about people who work onboard the ships, it does not seem fair to criticize them on Cruise Critic. Generally speaking, the only time a person is named is when it is positive. Believe me, I would have loved to name someone on a cruise that we disliked very much but, like most people, I did not single him/her out on a public board.

Flame me if you wish but please respect the hard working crew on Regent. Ask yourself if you would like your name on a public forum because someone did not like you:o

Travelcat 2

With the greatest of respect you were not on our cruise!

It is not a question of disliking someone, merely stating the fact that in our opinion Paul was not doing his job effectively on our particular cruise.

We have sailed over 300 days on Seabourn and Regent and are fully aware of what is expected from an experienced cruise director. Some are better than others but on this occasion throughout the cruise Paul was totally disinterested.

We rarely post on this forum, and like you take the positive view, but on this occasion felt that it was necessary to give our opinion.

Travelcat 2

It is not a question of disliking someone, merely stating the fact that in our opinion Paul was not doing his job effectively on our particular cruise.

We have sailed over 300 days on Seabourn and Regent and are fully aware of what is expected from an experienced cruise director. Some are better than others but on this occasion throughout the cruise Paul was totally disinterested.

We rarely post on this forum, and like you take the positive view, but on this occasion felt that it was necessary to give our opinion.

I understand and believe the experience you had on your cruise. We have had people on our cruises that we do not believe were doing their job effectively. In your situation I would have stated what you did but would have referred to the "cruise director" rather than blemishing the name of a person on Cruise Critic and to people he may cruise with in the future. Additionally, I would have made it known via the comment card what the issues were. Actually, on our last cruise I did comment on the pastry chef (whom shall remain nameless) on CC. In our opinion, he did not have a clue how to prepare desserts in the manner that Regent customers are accustomed to. I pointed this out to the F&B Director, Donald, and the problem was corrected. I appreciated Donald's help (sorry that I do not recall his last name) and did point out both the problems with the pastry chef and the assistance Donald gave on our comment card. If someone wanted to figure out who the pastry chef was on our cruise, more power to them. Hopefully, the changes he made under Donald's direction has improved his skills and the next cruise he baked for enjoyed everything.

If you read the reviews in the "Review" section of Cruise Critic, you will see many positive and negative comments about food, service, etc. Some people name certain crew members that made their cruise particularly good. I do not recall ever seeing someone named as giving poor service or not doing their job. Actually I wonder if CC approves reviews if someone is named in a negative fashion. I truly do not know.

I do not think that you meant harm in your comment. Perhaps I am a bit sensitive about anyone being put in a less than favorable light on a public forum -- whether it is deserved or not.

Edited by Travelcat2

Travelcat

I didn't start this post, merely responding to Mr Rumor's post regarding the cruise director Paul's departure from Regent.

Cruise Critic should do as it's name implies which is to give fair and balanced view which we have done. I am disappointed that you seem to be unhappy with any form of criticism even if justified.

Travelcat

I didn't start this post, merely responding to Mr Rumor's post regarding the cruise director Paul's departure from Regent.

Cruise Critic should do as it's name implies which is to give fair and balanced view which we have done. I am disappointed that you seem to be unhappy with any form of criticism even if justified.

I am surprised that you would say that after I had no problem with your negative comments regarding the cruise director on your cruise (except stating the CD's name) and also criticized the pastry chef on ours. No cruise line is perfect and Cruise Critic is the perfect place to state both the positive and negative.

In terms of the thread in general, if a public announcement was made on the Navigator, I see no problem with starting this thread. However, I once started a thread when I heard an untrue rumor onboard the ship and had to repost and apologize. It is just a good idea to make certain that the "announcement" is correct. Right now there seems to be a difference between what Mr. Rumor stated and what the Captain onboard the Mariner stated.

Paul is a personal friend of mine and I have cruised with him several times, and always meet up with him between cruises. I feel it is a terrible shame that someone had to post on here before Paul had a chance to make his appointment known himself. He wanted his personal friends and family to know first and we found out via Cruise Critic. I think an apology should be made to Paul himself. I have just been in contact with Paul.

I take on board your comments about his last trip but I also know it was a very emotional time for him coming to his decision, all of us go through difficult times and this obviously was a difficult time for Paul.

Paul is a personal friend of mine and I have cruised with him several times, and always meet up with him between cruises. I feel it is a terrible shame that someone had to post on here before Paul had a chance to make his appointment known himself. He wanted his personal friends and family to know first and we found out via Cruise Critic. I think an apology should be made to Paul himself. I have just been in contact with Paul.

I take on board your comments about his last trip but I also know it was a very emotional time for him coming to his decision, all of us go through difficult times and this obviously was a difficult time for Paul.

Thank you so much for posting. Paul is a friend of ours as well and what you posted is correct. The first time the "rumor" came out (not on Cruise Critic) I contacted him and he said that he wanted to announce it himself. I've messaged him about this thread and asked if there is anything he would like me to say. He has yet to respond. It is a shame that this has happened.

Edited by Travelcat2

We never had the pleasure of sailing with Paul

Well why, on earth, do you feel it is your duty to share this information? Would you like someone who doesn't even know you to announce your career moves on a public message board? Before you had a chance to tell your close friends, family and co workers?

No class, Mr. Rumor.

I have had the pleasure known Paul for 9 years since he started as ACD under Barry Hopkins on the Radisson Mariner. IMO this is a real big loss for Regent. Paul was a lot of fun and put on many excellent events for both the passengers and crew. I was lucky to have him as CD for a least a third of my 400+ days on Regent.

Maybe like the above poster said, he was having a bad day (or week). I don't know. I always found him to be a gentleman ,very courteous and friendly. By far and away the best CD I have had in my 60+ cruises. I will miss him a lot and and sorry to hear of his departure.

j

People, People, People -

On these CC forums, senior staff members are discussed frequently, both positively and negatively. How is it something to be kept secret that Paul has made the career decision to move over to Viking?

We've cruised with Paul several times and have found him to be both one of the most engaging CD's (relating marvelously with all sorts of passengers) and one of the least engaging CD's (relating almost exclusively with the entertainment staff).

All things considered, I would agree with several posters that his departure is a net loss for Regent. However, just as Barry H. left Regent for greener cruising pastures, Paul should do so if that is the path that works best for him.

TC2 - With all respect, the suggestion that one should not name a CD with whom one was not satisfied is simply silly. These are not low level vulnerable crew members, such as cabin attendants or waiters. The CD is pretty much a public personality and, as such, is certainly an appropriate target of named praise or criticism. That comes with the job.

If a CD and any other senior staff member wants to manage the release of information regarding his/her career moves, then he/she should do so proactively. Paul is a very savvy guy who knows social media quite well (including this forum).

Good luck to Paul at Viking.

Cheers, Fred

Edited by freddie

Actually, Paul does not read Cruise Critic but is fairly active (when he is not working) on Facebook. Although he may be a "public figure" to people that have cruised with him, when compared to "real" public figures, he is just a man with a good job on a cruise ship. And, in the years I have been on Cruise Critic, I cannot recall when a rumor (which is all it was on the Navigator) needed to be posted as a fact.

Freddie, I would appreciate hearing from you about a time when a senior staff member on Regent was discussed negatively on Cruise Critic or a time when a senior staff member's departure was prematurely announced. It could be my age, but I cannot recall this happening. The Regent announcement occurred yesterday (or perhaps the day before due to time change), his last day with Regent. Prior to that, it was simply a rumor -- one that I heard a couple of weeks ago but did not feel the need to post. So, IMO, Mr. Rumor was spreading rumors (and I do wish he would chime in on this thread again as I like him but cannot understand why he would post a rumor about a person he has never met).

In any event, I have heard from Paul this evening and am very happy for him. He acknowledges how emotional and busy the past few weeks have been for him. He loved his 9 years at Radisson/Regent and appreciates the wonderful cruising friends that he has made. I have also looked at the Viking Ocean Cruises website and find it quite interesting. We would love to show up on a maiden voyage for one of the new ships that he will help to inaugurate

Edited by Travelcat2

After having a few hours to reflect on the day, I believe that Rich (Mr. Rumor) did not mean harm by starting this thread and pre-maturely announcing Paul's new position. Having read his posts and seeing the devotion he has to his family, I cannot see him posting something that would be upsetting someone.

Having said that, there are lessons to be learned from this thread and hopefully those lessons will stay with us for a long time. If my comments to Mr. Rumor were upsetting, I apologize.

TC2

So here is Paul official announcement. This is posted with his permission and consent. (AFAIK he is not a CC Member.)

"After much soul searching, I said goodbye to the Mariner yesterday after nine very happy years. It was fitting that my very first and my final day were both on the Mariner.

It was important for me to deal with this in the right way by letting colleagues and family know first, so apologies for not being able to say anything sooner. Regent has been totally wonderful and supportive - it's important not to burn bridges, so I'm most grateful.

The one thing I’ve never done is launch a new ship, and now I will have four! I am to work as part of Viking Ocean Cruises’ creative launch team and then be Cruise Director for the inaugural cruises. After a couple of months sailing, I return back to base and repeat the process for the remaining three ships.

With 920 guests, all staterooms with balconies and a retractable roof on the pool deck, their focus is very much on enrichment, with high quality lecturers, longer time in port, and the speakers hosting some of the excursions. The entertainment looks exciting too, with some rather neat ideas, which I will report on more when they start to come to fruition.

I haven’t posted on Facebook yet, as there are still some people I want to touch base with first. As you can imagine, the last few weeks have been rather emotional, not to mention busy with the handover and packing, although there are a couple of pictures on my Facebook page with some rather big clues!

So apologies that this is a general dispatch right now, but I have been inundated by kind words from so many wonderful cruising friends, all of who have made my “Regent Experience” so memorable and rewarding. It’s that remarkable journey, of which you have all been part, which has set me up for this new and exciting challenge and I thank you for that.

Hard work I know, but I’d be kicking myself down the line for not taking this rather rare and privileged opportunity! Perhaps I’ll see you there!!!

Paul"

For me personally, I am going to try to get on some of the Viking inaugural cruises with Paul. Expand my horizons, maybe, but I know little about the company. Anyone interested in the same maybe we can start a group, Email below ;)

j

Edited by JMARINER

Travelcat 2

If ,as you say , Paul was disinterested that would be a plus . However being uninterested would be a different matter.

Ah, but you are using a U.S. dictionary rather than a U.K. (which is where the poster is from). If you look into the Cambridge Dictionary you will find the following:

English definition of “disinterested”

disinterested

adjective /dɪˈsɪn.trə.stɪd/

› having no personal involvement or receiving no personal advantage, and therefore free to act fairly:

a disinterested observer/judgment

a piece of disinterested advice

Although one should not assume, I believe the poster meant "having no personal involvement". That word is not typically used in the U.S. which is why it is easily misunderstood.

Edited by Travelcat2

Mr. Rumor - I guess you have now learned (as I have in the past) that on THIS board, "No good deed goes unpunished". I know for certain that at the time, your intent was to simply pass along some newsy information that you thought others might be interested in.

It doesn't take much to upset some people, especially when that's what they're looking forward to. You probably never imagined (neither would I) that a simple and harmless snippet of information would "explode" into all this "hub-bub" that was subsequently generated.

Perhaps in the future, both you and I should get "pre-clearance" (or pre-approval) for our comments before we post them. ;)

Best regards to you and your family. I'm glad you had a great trip!