Paul Reynolds moving on

I am always amazed when I read comments on this board that are so negative against children, drives me CRAZY!!! First of all, there is no sign at the entrance stating "no children allowed". Secondly, for those of you who unaware, Regent realized that there is a HUGE market for what is termed "generational cruising", where three/four generations of families travel together and they are heavily promoting themselves to gain this market share. Mark Conway actually on one of my cruises (he was in the suite next door) and gave an entire presentation regarding generational cruising and why one should choose Regent over the other lines. My mother would never cruise on a Disney, HAL, Celebrity ship therefore we all go on Regent and I do not believe this is isolated.

The children have their own earned gold status and have been cruising for Regent for years - each and every time they cruise they are able to point out to us numerous circumstances where the adults are not behaving properly and yet I rarely read any comments on cruise critic about misbehaving adults.

For those of you who have never traveled with children on Regent, if there is ANY instance of inappropriate behavior, believe me, the parents hear about it from staff. In fact, children are treated by different standards. On our last cruise, we were called because the boys were "monopolizing" the chess table. We were angered by this and immediately spoke to the GM - both of the boys are master chess players (in their age group) and were actually teaching other passengers and apparently someone complained because there were a number of children and adults watching and cheering and this seemed to bother some people. If the circumstances were different and an adult was in the same position, we doubt anything would have been said.

I am not naive - just as there are adults who cannot behave, the same can be said for children but it annoys me when children seem to be held to a different standard.

I do take children on Regent and they love the experience. That being said, while on a Regent ship I have never seen a child put their feet on the furniture, I have never seen a child yell at a staff member, I have never seen a child been rude to a staff member, I have never seen a child push people out of the way in CR, I don't see children talking away on the tour bus so no one else can hear the guide. The same can't be said for many adults on the ship.

On my last cruise which was over the holidays, there were many children on board and there were a number of adults sitting on the six floor loudly arguing with one another regarding the illnesses on the ship. A number of other passengers politely asked them to lower their voices, which they ignored. A few minutes later, a few boys came through and they were talking loudly, but not yelling but any stretch of the imagination. These same adults who had been screaming and refused to stop than had the nerve to turn around and complain that the children were too loud.

Children pay the same rate as adults and have every right to be entertained as do paying adults - the comment from TC that it is the parents responsibility to entertain their children is equal to saying that each adult is responsible for their own entertainment and Regent should just cancel every activity on board that entertains the adults.

There are numerous trips that cater exclusively to the adult market - if you do not like children, take one of those trips but please stop this belief that somehow because it is upscale, Regent is off limit to children.

gnomie :)

And I have seen children roll down the isle in the theater during a performance -- children running up and down the stairs being very loud (last cruise -- the complaints were driving Reception crazy and, no, it wasn't me complaining). This is a subject for a different thread. I responded to your negative comment about Paul blowing you off when you suggested that someone entertain children during sea days. And I repeat, if a child needs to be entertained, go on another cruise line!

Jackie - Regent is a line that is actively targeting family travel so no need to tell people to cruise another line if they want to bring their kids. You are actually doing a disservice to Regent and to any potential customers who will see your remarks and, for a variety of reasons, be completely turned off.

When I saw that Mr. Rumor had something to mention, I clicked it on because he is always so pleasant and informative. CDs are not of much interest to me but as I continued and saw the reprimand and corrections he was given, I was incredulous! For goodness sakes. The guy is a cruise director and not some Head OF State where security is a problem. How on earth was he harmed? The passengers pay his salary. He is an employee... Maybe some people like his style and maybe some do not. A paying customer making mention of this does not need to "fear" passing on an innocuous comment.If the story is not true....I'm sure we will hear about it. Over the years, we have read many facts that turned out to be untrue or opinions. And with all the hand wringing about the man's departure, would it be safe to say that theses folks will jump ship and follow him along? People regularly follow hairdressers and bartenders to their new jobs. Maybe Regent should make him a better offer. At any rate, I am sure this thread is an example (just like on other boards) where people end up deciding not to post. Perhaps the reason that P. Reynolds does not participate on CC is because he has a life and it would seem that his fan club is available to keep him informed of all the itty bitty details whether he is interested or not. This board is so often very frustrating.....but certainly entertaining.

I responded to your negative comment about Paul blowing you off when you suggested that someone entertain children during sea days. And I repeat, if a child needs to be entertained, go on another cruise line!

"when I once provided him with a suggestion with regard to keeping children on the board entertained during a sea day, he completely blew me off."

I NEVER commented that someone should entertain the children on sea days, but as I said before, children are entitled to the same type of benefits as the adults and to suggest that parents are responsible for all the entertainment of their children is downright selfish.

A comment was made regarding a Regent employee who made the decision to move on and I responded with my experience, no more, no less.

Once again it is about personal comments. General gossip or comments does not hurt anyone. This did cause hurt to a very nice man.

Yes, I do believe that "a very nice man" has been hurt by the comments expressed here and that man would be Mr. Rumor.

Yes, I do believe that "a very nice man" has been hurt by the comments expressed here and that man would be Mr. Rumor.

Not saying that he isn't. However, even though he did not realize how discussing Paul's departure, prior to it being announced, was going to upset Paul as well as his friends and family, it did. I apologized to Mr. Rumor already and feel that an apology to Paul would be nice to see.

Edited by Travelcat2

No clue who is replacing Paul. Oceania has a shortage of CD's as well so they may have to either promote from within, hire someone or "steal" a CD from another cruise line (getting Chris Martin back from Silversea would be great IMO). There was a British Assistant CD that I thought was very good but cannot remember his name. It will be interesting to learn what Regent management decides to do.

P.S. gnormie1: Would enjoy debating that issue on another thread:)

No apology from Mr Rumor is warranted or needed. Rich simply reported something that another person told him. If Paul wanted to keep this information unknown until a later point in time he should have simply not told anyone about the move until he was ready for the information to be public.

Edited by rallydave

no apology from mr rumor is warranted or needed. Rich simply reported something that another person told him. If paul wanted to keep this information unknown until a later point in time he should have simply not told anyone about the move until he was ready for the information to be public.

I COMPLETELY AGREE!!

Mr Rumor did absolutely nothing wrong - he did not make it up, he only reported on information that obviously Paul had told people. If Paul is so upset about the news of his departure being released before he wanted it to be public, he should have not told anyone. He has no one other than himself to blame.

Remember - loose lips sink ships

The only apologies due are to Mr. Rumor

We sailed on the Voyager in November with Mr. Reynolds as cruise director. Perhaps he was hiding his light under the bushel, or already had one foot out the door, but I seldom saw him around the ship. He handed over trivia to his assistant director on the cruise, much to the dismay of the frequent Regent passengers we played with. I'm not sure what the loss to Regent or gain to Viking is.....I don't choose a cruise line by cruise director, but it seems from this thread that some folks do!

Actually, I'm glad to see Viking step up the competition with Regent.. Regent's current pricing is not the value it used to be and after 6 straight cruises with Regent we are going with Azamara. We would like to try Viking, but I've heard their first ship sold out in record time, and will wait until the fever wears off.

Edited by Cruising Librarian

On what planet is it okay to spread rumors about a person? In high schools, children commit suicide because of rumors (true or not) being spread about them. Those of you who think that this is okay may want to look at themselves in the mirror. I know many, many, many things about people -- on Regent, on Oceania and on Cruise Critic. I would rather step in front of a bus than embarrass people or cause them harm. I feel sorry for those who do not understand this.

Edited by Travelcat2

Jackie - Regent is a line that is actively targeting family travel so no need to tell people to cruise another line if they want to bring their kids. You are actually doing a disservice to Regent and to any potential customers who will see your remarks and, for a variety of reasons, be completely turned off.

Hi! I know that Regent is targeting family travel and I have no problem with that whatsoever. However, they provide Mariner Club for cruises when school is not in session. Expecting Paul Reynolds (or any other CD) to provide entertainment on cruises when school is in session is a bit much IMO. So, although you know that I respect your opinion, I do feel that people who want to travel with children when school is in session should consider another cruise line since Regent provides no activities for them.

We sailed on Regent during Christmas and New Year's (2013/2014) on an 18 night cruise that extended beyond when school was back in session. I suppose that is the reason why there was no Mariner's club. There were only 20 young people between the ages of 7 and 20 (on a ship carrying 700). The first week was great. However, by the second week, the children got to know each other and had no place to go to hang out. I truly felt badly for them. On a full ship, almost every venue is crowded on a sea day. The bottom line is that the children became loud and rambunctious. It was almost like a gang walking through the ship. Reception was inundated with complaints about noise (as indicated previously, we did not complain but heard about this from a friend at Reception). Our suite was as far back as you can get so we heard nothing.

So, my reasoning for recommending other cruise lines or having a parent provide entertainment is really not that harsh. There are children that do not need to be with a group of other children to have fun. They enjoy Regent for what it is. I have complimented parents on how well behaved their children are. But, if you know that your child needs entertainment and that none will be provided, why would you sail on a Regent?

Although this is off topic, it does speak to the reason why Paul Reynolds didn't jump at the chance to entertain children. It is simply not his job (or anyone else's on a non-Mariner Club cruise.)

Edited by Travelcat2

Freddie, Pingpong, Journeyfan, Fizzie, Gnomie & Rallydave, I don't know if this grouping of names has quite the ring of a Century City law firm, but as far as I'm concerned you're a great defense team. Thanks for your supportive posts on this thread while I was out of town this weekend. There is nothing that I care to add.

For those whose posts reveal their loyalty and protectiveness toward Paul Reynolds, you have illustrated my point that his departure is a blow to Regent. Which brings me to the larger story in the making, now involving Paul as a not-insignificant player: the looming rivalry between Regent and Viking Ocean Cruises.

Torstein Hagen, founder of Viking Cruises, served as the last president of Royal Viking Line. As an early RVL employee in the '70s I recall the line's original motto: "Rolls-Royce of Cruise Lines." By naming the first three ships in the Viking Ocean fleet after the first three RVL ships ("Star," "Sky," "Sea"), it is obvious that Hagen is seeking to evoke the glory days of Royal Viking Line. He has made a smart move in that direction by luring Paul away from Regent, the very company that some, including me, refer to as the Royal Viking Line of today.

It is probably too early for new threads comparing Viking Ocean Cruises and Regent, but I predict that those threads will begin appearing once the Star sets sail on its maiden voyage next May. Everything I have read about Viking Ocean planned innovations (Paul gives a hint himself in his Facebook post today) tells me that Hagen is seeking to dominate small-ship ocean cruising as his Viking River Cruises has dominated river cruising. The question: How will Regent be impacted?

Rich

Edited by Mr Rumor

I appreciate those of you that "got it". My hope is that this does not happen again ..... not on CC ....... not in schools. ..... not anywhere. Paul was upset by this ..... it is good to see that some posters cared.

Freddie, Pingpong, Journeyfan, Fizzie, Gnomie & Rallydave, I don't know if this grouping of names has quite the ring of a Century City law firm, but as far as I'm concerned you're a great defense team. Thanks for your supportive posts on this thread while I was out of town this weekend. There is nothing that I care to add.

For those whose posts reveal their loyalty and protectiveness toward Paul Reynolds, you have illustrated my point that his departure is a blow to Regent. Which brings me to the larger story in the making, now involving Paul as a not-insignificant player: the looming rivalry between Regent and Viking Ocean Cruises.

Torstein Hagen, founder of Viking Cruises, served as the last president of Royal Viking Line. As an early RVL employee in the '70s I recall the line's original motto: "Rolls-Royce of Cruise Lines." By naming the first three ships in the Viking Ocean fleet after the first three RVL ships ("Star," "Sky," "Sea"), it is obvious that Hagen is seeking to evoke the glory days of Royal Viking Line. He has made a smart move in that direction by luring Paul away from Regent, the very company that some, including me, refer to as the Royal Viking Line of today.

It is probably too early for new threads comparing Viking Ocean Cruises and Regent, but I predict that those threads will begin appearing once the Star sets sail on its maiden voyage next May. Everything I have read about Viking Ocean planned innovations (Paul gives a hint himself in his Facebook post today) tells me that Hagen is seeking to dominate small-ship ocean cruising as his Viking River Cruises has dominated river cruising. The question: How will Regent be impacted?

Rich

Rich...glad you responded but feel that you were somewhat bullied to do so and that makes me unhappy. You are one of the most positive individuals that We have met.

Thanks, Tina, and, by the way, I still hope you and Prabha, or your husband, and Ginny and I will meet up again on a cruise--would love that. But in truth, I didn't feel bullied to post again on this thread so much as I felt inspired to express my thanks to those I named for their supportive posts.

Regarding my positivity on this message board, yes it's true that if you review the several hundred posts I've made you'll find none in which I've made personal attacks, or been unkind to anyone. What you will find are lots of live-blog posts mainly, in which I've endeavored to share in newsy and fun detail my, Ginny's (and, if she's traveling with us, our daughter's) experiences with my fellow CC members, a growing number of which have become our friends. This is the contribution I set out to make on this board, and want to assure you will continue to make.

One item I perhaps should have mentioned in my last post is that I worked as a journalist for two decades (my handle, "Mr Rumor," is, in fact a sly, and tongue-in-cheek reference to a magazine job I held down way back when). My journalism background infuses my posting, plus it taught me the difference early on between a rumor and a fact. It was easy to verify Paul Reynolds' move to Viking and to report if as fact on May 28, when the news was already out.

Rich

Edited by Mr Rumor

I'm glad to keep reading any new posts from you, Mr Rumor. So enjoyable and your family sounds like so much fun to be around.

I totally support you. Since teenage years I learned that if one wants to keep a secret:

Don't make any changes to your usual behavior

Do not tell anyone.

If your secret gets out, there is no one to blame but yourself. It is not adult responsibility to point fingers at others for any leakage.

I look forward to your further reviews!

I'm glad to keep reading any new posts from you, Mr Rumor. So enjoyable and your family sounds like so much fun to be around.

I look forward to your further reviews!

Mr. Rumor:

I also love to read your posts, esp when you are on a cruise and provide us the opportunity the "share" your adventure with the rest of the members of CC. You are a wonderful writer and know how to tell a story so that the reader feels they are right there with you.

I work in the high pressured field of finance, where everything has to be done one minute ago. While you are on a cruise and reporting on your daily activities, I share your thread with other members of the office and we are constantly checking to see if there is a new post. Watching Shauna's smiling face and enjoyment of everything going on around her makes us realize that she represents the true meaning of what life is all about, and not the "mighty dollar" that we are constantly chasing. We were actually saddened last week when we realized your cruise was over and we need to get back to the grind and were no longer able to share in your holiday.

BTW - my assistant printed out the picture of the mama bear with her cubs and it is now posted in the kitchen with the sign:

This mama is taking care of her cubs and cleaning up after them - since your mama is not here to take care of you, please be considerate and clean up after yourself and make your mama proud

Thanks again for your lovely posts

gnomie :)

Paul was our CD on the Mariner in April and he was possibly considering the new offer or had already taken it because he was not his typical ebullient self. He remembered us and said hi, but in retrospect now I understand. Paul will be missed by those of us in the Regent family.

-

Regarding the privacy issue...that's a hard one. The thread was started as one of our regulars thought he had some worthwhile information to share about a much loved, long tenured Regent CD. Can't blame the poster - that's the kind of info we expect regular posters here to contribute when we get information like that.

-

As for Viking moving into ocean cruises - we will wait and see. I'm one of those that likes to try out not quite new things. As has been pointed out, they are not anywhere as all inclusive (at least not now as they are getting rolling), and we won't really know how the ships are until people have a chance to sail them. Looking forward to those first posts, though, when they come. Jeff