Paul Reynolds moving on

Learning that Mr. Rumor is a journalist made this thread make more sense. He started this thread approximately 2 days prior to the official announcement. Guess you could call that a scoop. I never thought that he made the post to harm Paul. The issue for me was posting anything before the official announcement. As I mentioned, I had known for a couple of weeks but knew that the official announcement had not been made. It is possible that it was announced on the Navigator prior to the announcement on the Mariner (the ship that Paul was on). I did not reply to Mr. Rumor's post until two people made critical posts about Paul. After having his departure announced on Cruise Critic, it was sad to see negative posts. Plus, I needed to verify that it was okay to "talk" about it.

Certainly I am upset that other friends and some of his family had to learn about this from Cruise Critic. All of us like to post "news" about Regent. I already apologized (page 1 I think) to Mr. Rumor. I certainly do not think he started this thread with malice. I suppose we'll never know how this information became "official" two days (approx.) prior to the official announcement. Perhaps only Mr. Rumor's source knows that.

In any event, I strongly believe that anyone who posts and names a Regent crew member needs to be cautious that they are not stating something that can be hurtful to that person. If someone is not doing a good job, let someone onboard the ship (an officer) know about it AND include the information on your comment card if the situation has not been fixed to your satisfaction by the end of the cruise. As I mentioned many posts ago, had I named the pastry chef that we had difficulty with, even if he has corrected the problems, he would have a bad name with people that read Cruise Critic (and people that share that information with other passengers). Now I could say something about another officer that we weren't fond of but that wouldn't be nice:)

I just don't get the gnashing of teeth and wailing about Paul Reynold's departure from Regent. I just don't get how much people seem to want to have friendships with cruise directors. I care about how well they accomplish their jobs as that makes the cruise enjoyable. But, for me, they're interchangeable.

I really don't care to be recognized from cruise to cruise or to be known by name. We were told during the last cruise that you really don't want the entire staff to know your name.....means you're high maintenance and your picture has been posted behind the scenes. I imagine high rollers are known as well. Bottom line, I have plenty of friends and I don't need to have a personal relationship with cruise directors.

I just don't get the gnashing of teeth and wailing about Paul Reynold's departure from Regent. I just don't get how much people seem to want to have friendships with cruise directors. I care about how well they accomplish their jobs as that makes the cruise enjoyable. But, for me, they're interchangeable.

I really don't care to be recognized from cruise to cruise or to be known by name. We were told during the last cruise that you really don't want the entire staff to know your name.....means you're high maintenance and your picture has been posted behind the scenes. I imagine high rollers are known as well. Bottom line, I have plenty of friends and I don't need to have a personal relationship with cruise directors.

I understand that many people are not interested in getting to know members of the crew and/or officers on cruise ships -- no problem with that. There are some people that enjoy making friends of other passengers which is also fine. We tend to stay to ourselves for the most part and enjoy learning about the lives of the wonderful, interesting people who work aboard cruise ships. Many of the crew members miss their families terribly but realize that by working on the ship they can provide an education for their children and a better life for their families and themselves. This would not be possible in some of the countries they come from.

The only thing I disagree with is that people who are known well are "high maintenance". When you get to know your stewardess or butler, for instance, you learn things that you, as a passenger can do to help them (with little or no effort). We had a butler on the Mariner who purchased a ring in one of our South America itinerary ports. It was guaranteed and had chipped. It had been a year since he last stopped at the port. His only hope to get it fixed was if he could find the time to get off the ship and get to the store while we were in port. Another couple and ourselves demanded (nicely of course) that he not attend to our suite the morning we were in port - we wanted to give him a few extra minutes. When he returned to the ship, he came to our suite -- all smiles -- so happy. He proudly showed off his ring with the new stone. Not going to bore you with stories but there are many -- mostly about their lives and how Regent has helped them and their families. All heartwarming stories.

I am not upset that Paul left Regent. I am very excited for him. Although our several year friendship is only the ship, through Facebook and email, we care about him very much. We would be supportive of anything that he wanted to do. Instead of seeing him on the ship, we hope to see him in England when we visit there.

Being friendly with the crew on the ship may not be for everyone but it is for us. My DH is my BFF and he enjoys our interaction with the crew as much as I do. Where else can you spend so much time with people from all around the world and learn so much?

Thanks, Tina, and, by the way, I still hope you and Prabha, or your husband, and Ginny and I will meet up again on a cruise--would love that. But in truth, I didn't feel bullied to post again on this thread so much as I felt inspired to express my thanks to those I named for their supportive posts.

Rich

Rich....We would like that very much...perhaps Alaska?

If I were an employer about to hire a public face for my company, I would find it disturbing that he appears to be so sensitive and easily hurt. This thread has also generated a lot of comments making mention that a lot of people found him to be a less than great CD on recent cruises. This would have never happened if the "announcement" would simply have been left as a passing comment. T he man does not care to comment, obviously, and it is the irritation factor at this point that has become so amusing. This CC thread has taken on a passive/ aggressive tone similar to bullying...in my opinion. Has the support team jumped onto bookings for Viking?

If I were an employer about to hire a public face for my company, I would find it disturbing that he appears to be so sensitive and easily hurt....... T he man does not care to comment, obviously,........

Since he has not commented personally, where do you get that he is "...sensitive and easily hurt?" Any suggestion of that is only the opinion of individual poster(s) and not from him.

As far as I know Mr. Reynolds is not a member or contributor or follower of Cruise Critic or this board. So his failure to "not care to comment" is specious.

j

since he has not commented personally, where do you get that he is "...sensitive and easily hurt?" any suggestion of that is only the opinion of individual poster(s) and not from him.

As far as i know mr. Reynolds is not a member or contributor or follower of cruise critic or this board. So his failure to "not care to comment" is specious.

J

exactly!!!

Are you disagreeing with yourself on purpose or by accident?

The original quote should have been attributed to FORGAP. FIZZY truncated that quote in his post and I mistakenly quoted that. I don't know what FIZZY meant to say and I can not now edit my last post above. Sorry FIZZY.

J

There is not one word that could be considered bullying on this thread. Bullying is a serious allegation and should not be taken lightly. Had there been bullying, I hope that CC would have removed the post.

In terms of what you describe as "passive/aggressive" (which has absolutely no relationship to bullying), perhaps you are mistaking an open mind for passive/aggressive. I felt quite passionate (obviously) about posting Paul's departure prior to an official announcement. After reading Mr. Rumor's post, rather than stubbornly standing my ground, I thought about it and acknowledged that it was possible that an announcement was made on the Navigator. It is unfortunate that some posters do not look at the situation from all angles but rather take sides and stand their ground no matter what. Kinda reminds me of our government (sorry to make a general political statement on Cruise Critic but if the shoe fits.......... )

One important thing I have learned both personally and in business is that if you want to keep a secret, then don't tell anyone. Otherwise it is not confidential no matter how much you think it is. Even if you ask someone to keep it confidential there is probably a greater than 50% change that it will not be kept confidential. Unfortunate, but its part of life.

One important thing I have learned both personally and in business is that if you want to keep a secret, then don't tell anyone. Otherwise it is not confidential no matter how much you think it is. Even if you ask someone to keep it confidential there is probably a greater than 50% change that it will not be kept confidential. Unfortunate, but its part of life.

This forum seems to be a medley of secrets and privileged information relating to many posts.

Almost like a soap opera at times.

Margaret Lynn is the cruise director - doing a really good job (both with the grown-ups and the kids).

100 children and youths on this voyage - all very polite and well behaved.

Flossie, is it normal to have 100 children/youth out of 700 passengers on Mariner? This seems really high. Do you know the reason why so many on this sailing (assuming you are currently onboard Mariner at the moment?). I know summer months can have more kids but this is June and thought most kids would still be in school.

I was considering a Mariner cruise in the Med for next summer, but won't go if the ship will have that many children (well behaved or not).

Thanks

Definitely not normal for 100 children to be on board (except perhaps in Alaska during the summer). We have not seen more than 20 children on any of our cruises (and the 20 was a Christmas cruise). For better or worse, we'll be onboard the Voyager in a little over two weeks. for two segments. The first segment has a children's program. I'll include children information in my live report.

Flossie, is it normal to have 100 children/youth out of 700 passengers on Mariner? This seems really high. Do you know the reason why so many on this sailing (assuming you are currently onboard Mariner at the moment?). I know summer months can have more kids but this is June and thought most kids would still be in school.

I was considering a Mariner cruise in the Med for next summer, but won't go if the ship will have that many children (well behaved or not).

Thanks

I think flossie's comments made it here on the wrong thread, posting on the go as she is. Since this thread has run it's course anyway, I'll stay off topic.

Sunprince, one sure fire way to find out is to check out the special offers section of the Regent website. If the price is super good for children, those are the cruises you might want to avoid. There are a lot of them in the Med this year, and next year in June.

Children have never bothered me on cruises, and I've been on several where they were aboard. I had 4 of my own in 6.5 years, so I am still some-what oblivious to the disruption felt by many around children, even 30+ years later. I take my grands on other trips (Disney is wonderful, btw). They would be bored at their ages (newborn to 6yrs) with Regent.

Sunprince, if possible, I would recommend booking the Med. in May. Not because of children but due to weather and crowds. My friend arrived in Venice today and it is 85F (approximately 29C). Although the worst month of the year to visit the Med. (according to locals) is August, I would try to avoid mid-June to July as well (note: our cruise at the end of June is in Northern Europe which is considerably cooler).

well, this off topic thread may die a slow death or maybe sunprince could make a new one for more comments.

Anyway, my last Med cruise started April 2012 I think. From Barcelona on Good Friday, to Istanbul, 10 days, perfect weather, no children aboard at all to my recollection. Sunprince, please consider something other than the summer, when it is expensive, hot, and crowded in the Med. Not sure if this is possible for you!

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know but I must say that I have been on at least a dozen or so cruises on various lines (HAL, RCCL, Celebrity, Seabourn and Regent) and I have never that I can recall had a single conversation or interaction with a cruise director beyond seeing them at their various public appearances that they make on board. I have never been able to understand why they are considered so critical to the success of a cruise. I really don't care who they are or what they do.

There are a lot of kids age 5-20 on the mariner right now.

I would be so bored. I'm 32 and find myself bored on this cruise lol

We are in med now and the weather is perfect. Not too hot. Not too chilly. Except for yesterday's storm in Antibes

There are a lot of kids age 5-20 on the mariner right now.

I would be so bored. I'm 32 and find myself bored on this cruise lol

We are in med now and the weather is perfect. Not too hot. Not too chilly. Except for yesterday's storm in Antibes

The kids hopefully have access to the Club Mariner program - when it operates as it should, it is a fantastic program, however when it doesn't, it is a huge disappointment. We have experienced both. We have never once heard either child claim "I'm bored" while on vacation on a Regent ship. The kids usually make lots of new friends, both with other children and adults. They are counting down the days for our cruise next month.

gnomie :)

Sarah,

I can well imagine how a 32 yo might be bored on any of the upscale/luxury lines due to limited entertainment and fewer folks in your age range. Luckily, you seem to be doing a great job keeping yourself entertained.

Also...and unfortunately...the destination services on most of the luxury liners [and perhaps others as well but I don't read their boards] seem to suffer from poor descriptions, often less than adequate information about the port, and variable execution of the tour. They need to do a better job. Like yourself, I have always questioned why the tours need to depart mostly in the 8-9am time slots.

Hang in there and enjoy the Med. Hopefully you are building memories that you will treasure.

Edited by PaulaJK

Sarah,

I can well imagine how a 32 yo might be bored on any of the upscale/luxury lines due to limited entertainment and fewer folks in your age range. Luckily, you seem to be doing a great job keeping yourself entertained.

Also...and unfortunately...the destination services on most of the luxury liners [and perhaps others as well but I don't read their boards] seem to suffer from poor descriptions, often less than adequate information about the port, and variable execution of the tour. They need to do a better job. Like yourself, I have always questioned why the tours need to depart mostly in the 8-9am time slots.

Hang in there and enjoy the Med. Hopefully you are building memories that you will treasure.

I think I must have lost the plot as I thought this thread was about Paul Reynolds moving on? Just asking?