scooters?

Banditswife

My dad used a scooter on the Fantasy. We rented it from a dealer that knew exactly which one of his many models would fit through the cabin doors on the ship. My dad HAD to park the scooter inside his cabin every night. Worked out great!

OK, folks. Here is the run-down:

• Scooters must be less than 21" wide at it's widest point to fit through the doorway of a regular cabin.
  • Carnival has handicapped and modified cabins which offer more space for entering and turning, including doors that stay open. These staterooms have wider doorways to accommodate larger scooters.
  • SOLAS regulations (Safety of Life At Sea) state that scooters may not be kept in the hallway. Carnival could be fined for this and it creates a significant safety hazard.

When looking at using a scooter, you have a few options:

• Rent one from a service such as SpecialNeedsAtSea, who will deliver it directly to your stateroom.
  • Rent one from a local provider and bring it on board with you.
  • Purchase one (if you will be using one more than twice, this is the way to go) and bring it with you.

Edited by Schoifmom

I like you posts and agree mostly. Like 99% of it. Special needs will give a person considering a scooter, the exact measurements (wide) it needs not to exceed to get into the doorway. There are many travel scooters that can fit into any room, but many more scooters that only will fit in a standard doorway. Those scooters are not permitted to be in the hallway. Some cruise lines actually have a parking lot on each deck for those people. Someone in a scooter needs extra planning, and working with the cruise line, who all have a special needs department.

On a side note. Most people who get run over, get so, because they stand directly in front of, and on the side of the scooter. It's just like a car, and you wouldn't stay that close to one of those.

Will disagree with your last point. Very often we are in an elevator and will move to the side to hold the door open. Often the people using it do not know how to maneuver it or just dont care.

On a side note. Most people who get run over, get so, because they stand directly in front of, and on the side of the scooter. It's just like a car, and you wouldn't stay that close to one of those.

I was on a cruise and knew someone in a scooter who would go fast and if anyone was in her way, she would just honk her horn and kept right on going.:eek:

I have seen many people in scooters not care who was walking in front of them because they thought they had the right of way and were going too fast in the crowd.

I was on a cruise and knew someone in a scooter who would go fast and if anyone was in her way, she would just honk her horn and kept right on going.:eek:

I have seen many people in scooters not care who was walking in front of them because they thought they had the right of way and were going too fast in the crowd.

So very true.

First let me say I have a physically challenged sister. I have compassion for those who have these challenges. So my karma is intact.

But with that said: I agree with post that Mom should have a few driving lessons with the scooter before attempting to maneuver a cruise ship.

My reason for saying this is because while on a cruise and elderly woman lost control of her scooter coming up the ramp of the ship and ran my daughter over. Luckily my daughter wasn't seriously hurt, a few cuts and bruises. Not to mention being traumatized. No warning, no horn, no screaming. And to make matters worse, NO APOLOGY!

So, please give Mom some lessons!

Definitely less stress with the scooter. I've taken mine on the Carnival Pride a number of times. We've always booked the standard Balcony cabin and the scooter fits into the cabin easily. By the third cruise with the scooter, I had the "into the cabin" maneuvering down to a science. Safety, of course, is important, especially on a moving ship. If your mom is active, etc., find a stable spot to relax if you think there are rough seas ahead. It's better than tipping over with the "rolling" seas when attempting to operate the scooter.

Have fun on your cruise.

This is so true, I was almost run over by a woman on a scooter. Did she care no she just kept going. They need to put speed limiters on the scooters that go on ships.

And wish the people who used them got a course in manuevering them

And I so wish that when people are walking towards me that they would lift their heads up, look straight ahead instead of gazing down at their IPhones, Smart Phones and other devices as they walk straight into me and my scooter, and then look at me as if to say "why did you let me walk into your scooter????," when I am at a dead stop, and they walked into me.

Courtesy goes both ways.

I am thoroughly in the "Scooters" don't belong on cruise ships corner, and no I am not anti-person with a disability.

Scooters are a marketing ploy, designed for outside use and designed for people with a good deal of upper body strength, good coordination, and "on the ball" mental smarts. If someone is unable to still drive a car they shouldn't be using a mobility scooter.

Scooters offer no support, don't come with a seat belt, easily tip over, need a very wide turning radius, don't maneuver when someone pushes them, don't allow for hands free operation, don't stop on a dime, don't have rear view mirrors, aren't useful as a "chair" at a table, take lots of room to store, don't go into cabs and buses, are pretty useless on soft sand at the beach, are too heavy to carry up stairs, and can prove to be difficult in confined spaces like elevators, or door vestibules. They aren't a "pass" to get someone to the front of a line, don't prove that the rider is in anyway "handicapped" or in need of special assistance. And, unless the rider is adept and coordinated that don't give them "true" independence. How do you carry your food and drink at the Lido and steer and operate a scooter?

Worse cruises I have been on are ones where half the passengers "think" they need a scooter. Won't catch me cruising to Hawaii, again, any time soon.

If someone needs mobility assistance a small lightweight foldable wheel chair fits the bill nicely.

And I so wish that when people are walking towards me that they would lift their heads up, look straight ahead instead of gazing down at their IPhones, Smart Phones and other devices as they walk straight into me and my scooter, and then look at me as if to say "why did you let me walk into your scooter????," when I am at a dead stop, and they walked into me.

Courtesy goes both ways.

Very true

I am thoroughly in the "Scooters" don't belong on cruise ships corner, and no I am not anti-person with a disability.

Scooters are a marketing ploy, designed for outside use and designed for people with a good deal of upper body strength, good coordination, and "on the ball" mental smarts. If someone is unable to still drive a car they shouldn't be using a mobility scooter.

Scooters offer no support, don't come with a seat belt, easily tip over, need a very wide turning radius, don't maneuver when someone pushes them, don't allow for hands free operation, don't stop on a dime, don't have rear view mirrors, aren't useful as a "chair" at a table, take lots of room to store, don't go into cabs and buses, are pretty useless on soft sand at the beach, are too heavy to carry up stairs, and can prove to be difficult in confined spaces like elevators, or door vestibules. They aren't a "pass" to get someone to the front of a line, don't prove that the rider is in anyway "handicapped" or in need of special assistance. And, unless the rider is adept and coordinated that don't give them "true" independence. How do you carry your food and drink at the Lido and steer and operate a scooter?

Worse cruises I have been on are ones where half the passengers "think" they need a scooter. Won't catch me cruising to Hawaii, again, any time soon.

If someone needs mobility assistance a small lightweight foldable wheel chair fits the bill nicely.

No, I can no longer drive my car because parts of my body work against me. I have MS, and I cannot accelerate or brake with my right foot.

I can however maneuver my scooter very well. Believe it or not, I don't fall off of the seat, my scooter has never tipped over, and does not require a wide turning radius. My scooter does stop on a dime, I don't use my scooter at a table, it doesn't take up a lot of space and comes apart in 5 pieces and very easily fits into our SUV.

In addition, I don't use cabs or buses, nor do I go to the beach. My scooter is not confining in elevators, or vestibules. They are only confining to those who don't know how to handle them properly. I don't require "special assistance," and I never need a "pass" to go to the front of a line, nor would I expect someone to move so I could go to the front. My scooter does not prove that I am disabled, my disease has taken care of that by progressing a little bit each year for the last 10 years, and slowly taking away my mobility. And yes, my scooter does give me "true" independence; it allows me to go places and see things that I would not be able to see or do, because I can't walk, and I don't need to have my DH push me in a wheelchair all over the world, so a light-weight foldable wheelchair won't work for me. I wouldn't push that responsibility on my husband, but if he had to, he would gladly do it. Oh, and by the way, I don't carry my food and drink at Lido, and operate my scooter. My DH is caring enough that he gets it for me.

So, I hope that clears some things up for you. One more thing, before you go judging people, maybe you should try walking in their shoes for just one day. I can happily say I'm so glad that folks like you are in the minority. Have a great day!!!

Courtesy goes both ways.

One of my favorite "rants" is reserved for the lady who pushed her family in front of me and my scooter during a parade. As long as they didn't bother the rest of my family, I didn't really mind until the woman, trying to back up for a picture, tripped over the front of my powered-off scooter and ripped me for running her over. I ripped right back at full volume, threatening to shove my leg stump far up her tailpipe until she and her brood departed with their tails tucked. :mad:

To be fair though, I've had almost equal headaches from other handicapped people. One elderly woman was put out that I had parked legally in a handicapped space. And even when I waved my prostheses at her, she just sniffed that she felt that she was "more handicapped." :rolleyes:

And Dutch Girl...I can certainly drive and do MOST things that you can imagine a normal person can do, at least on a limited basis. I use and will continue to use a scooter or wheelchair to keep myself from being in pain, and don't give a rat's about your preferences.

Courtesy goes both ways.

I agree. Those same people would walk into a standing person. There's a great video of a woman in a mall looking down on her phone and walks right into a very large fountain.

No, I can no longer drive my car because parts of my body work against me. I have MS, and I cannot accelerate or brake with my right foot.

I can however maneuver my scooter very well. Believe it or not, I don't fall off of the seat, my scooter has never tipped over, and does not require a wide turning radius. My scooter does stop on a dime, I don't use my scooter at a table, it doesn't take up a lot of space and comes apart in 5 pieces and very easily fits into our SUV.

In addition, I don't use cabs or buses, nor do I go to the beach. My scooter is not confining in elevators, or vestibules. They are only confining to those who don't know how to handle them properly. I don't require "special assistance," and I never need a "pass" to go to the front of a line, nor would I expect someone to move so I could go to the front. My scooter does not prove that I am disabled, my disease has taken care of that by progressing a little bit each year for the last 10 years, and slowly taking away my mobility. And yes, my scooter does give me "true" independence; it allows me to go places and see things that I would not be able to see or do, because I can't walk, and I don't need to have my DH push me in a wheelchair all over the world, so a light-weight foldable wheelchair won't work for me. I wouldn't push that responsibility on my husband, but if he had to, he would gladly do it. Oh, and by the way, I don't carry my food and drink at Lido, and operate my scooter. My DH is caring enough that he gets it for me.

So, I hope that clears some things up for you. One more thing, before you go judging people, maybe you should try walking in their shoes for just one day. I can happily say I'm so glad that folks like you are in the minority. Have a great day!!!

Excellent post. Wish there was a cure for this horrible disease.

Don't assume that because I have "issues" with scooters in the close confines and narrow passages of a cruise ship trying to be all things to all people that I don't relate, personally, to the daily obstacles placed in front of those with diseases and disabilities. And I am not slamming anyone for their personal choices....scooter away when it is safe to do so. Just like those people who don't use a scooter those that do are representative of a wide swath of individuals...many who don't "need" assistance but choose to use it.

I also have issues with "healthy" people who clog up elevators to go down a single deck, people who book un-needed handicap rooms because they like the extra space, families who travel with someone with a disability and therefore think they are entitled to all the perks.

The original OP wanted to know about renting a scooter...I gave my opinion that I feel they are not the greatest thing since sliced bread and have more issues associated with them than the issue they may resolve for a single passenger.

My 90 year old mother is considering joining us for a cruise. She is very active & has few mobility issues. But I think she would be happier & less stressed if we could somehow get her a scooter to ride instead of walking on the decks. My questions are: does CCL rent them? If not, can we bring one from home? What type of problems can we expect? I have no experience with this & am looking for advice from those of you who have experience. Any tips from fellow scooter riders? Any thoughts that I might need to consider? Thanks I appreciate your help.

http://www.specialneedsatsea.com