Transatlantics To & From The UK

delirious9876

If you ever do any transatlantics into or out of Florida to the UK and you're from the UK, try pricing flights with Thomas Cook Airlines in or out of Miami or Orlando - they're usually great value and non stop to the UK.

For example we are flying back from Orlando to Manchester in September for £180 ($299) per person including taxes, fees and checked luggage.

In September 2015 we are flying from Miami to Manchester with them for £148 ($246) per person including all fees, taxes and checked luggage.

:)

Edited by delirious9876
PS in my opinion they're also much newer planes and more comfortable with better inflight service than Virgin

I will check their website now. We are looking for flights for August 2015 but they haven't yet been released..how did you manage to secure your flights for September 2015? Any info is gratefully received! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I will check their website now. We are looking for flights for August 2015 but they haven't yet been released..how did you manage to secure your flights for September 2015? Any info is gratefully received! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Because they are a charter airline they release a lot further in advance :-)

If you live in the southern UK try Norwegian Air who fly out of Gatwick to Fort Lauderdale. Charge £35 for checked bag and choose your own seat. Looking to use them next year as they also fly to LAX as well and we are thinking about doing the Panama canal.

Very few taxes flying INTO Heathrow.

We haven't flown into Heathrow for quite a while because of prices, so I misspoke or don't know; flying out (which we often want to do after a TA) is really high, though. We love the UK and would love to spend some significant vacation time there but don't want to pay that much in taxes & fees.

We usually use FF miles; maybe it's different with a cash ticket. The last time I looked our taxes and fees would have been over $700! For Rome, it was a little over $100. Guess which we did.

If you ever do any transatlantics into or out of Florida to the UK and you're from the UK, try pricing flights with Thomas Cook Airlines in or out of Miami or Orlando - they're usually great value and non stop to the UK.
The downside, of course, is that it's Thomas Cook Airlines. Charter-type flights, really tight pitch (= even less legroom than scheduled economy) etc etc.

The downside, of course, is that it's Thomas Cook Airlines. Charter-type flights, really tight pitch (= even less legroom than scheduled economy) etc etc.

Check their website carefully, re handluggage, seat reservation, meals on boards etc.

We usually use FF miles; maybe it's different with a cash ticket. The last time I looked our taxes and fees would have been over $700! For Rome, it was a little over $100. Guess which we did.

The U.K. does have high departure taxes (" Air Passenger Duty") but the greatest component of the "taxes and fees" are fuel surcharges that go straight to the airlines' pockets.

Wow, great tip. We have actually avoided flying into Heathrow because of the enormous taxes and fees and found flights that landed elsewhere in Europe. Great way to keep people from visiting your country.

The taxes are the same eveywhere in the UK, it's not just Heathrow specific. It's Air Passenger Duty levied by the UK government.

http://pointstobemade.boardingarea.com/2013/01/14/understanding-and-avoiding-the-uks-air-passenger-duty/

I have family on Jersey so fly there several times per year, no APD ex-Jersey.

The taxes are the same eveywhere in the UK, it's not just Heathrow specific. It's Air Passenger Duty levied by the UK government.

http://pointstobemade.boardingarea.com/2013/01/14/understanding-and-avoiding-the-uks-air-passenger-duty/

I have family on Jersey so fly there several times per year, no APD ex-Jersey.

I do realize that; it's just that I can't seem to find flights to much of anywhere else than Heathrow, so that's what I mentioned.

Our FF miles are with American, and they seem to always route us to Heathrow.

I do realize that; it's just that I can't seem to find flights to much of anywhere else than Heathrow, so that's what I mentioned.

Our FF miles are with American, and they seem to always route us to Heathrow.

That's because LHR is the hub of BA and BA has little interest in serving the rest of the British Isles out of LHR. BA also extorts a huge fuel surcharge.

... but the greatest component of the "taxes and fees" are fuel surcharges that go straight to the airlines' pockets.
That's because LHR is the hub of BA and BA has little interest in serving the rest of the British Isles out of LHR. BA also extorts a huge fuel surcharge.
The size of the surcharge compared to the fare is irrelevant to most passengers who are paying cash. Why does it matter one jot to them whether the fare is $400 and the surcharge $600, or whether the fare is $800 and the surcharge $200? It's the total cost of travel which counts, and that's the same in both cases.

It does, though, affect customers flying on award tickets like Nebr.cruiser. But it's important to understand where the effects fall and where they don't.

BA has plenty of flights from London to many other points in the British Isles. What BA doesn't have is flights from non-London points in the British Isles to other non-London points, and that's largely because of two things: First, there simply isn't the same concentration of high-spending customers outside London (which is often said, with some truth, to be a different country from the rest of the UK); and because BA's only hub concentration is in London, so non-London points are better served by airlines which fly from them to their own hubs.

Check their website carefully, re handluggage, seat reservation, meals on boards etc.

You'll find their seats the same pitch and more comfortable than Virgin Atlantic.

The price shown includes all meals and 23kg luggage per passenger

:-)

You'll find their seats the same pitch and more comfortable than Virgin Atlantic.

The price shown includes all meals and 23kg luggage per passenger

Me doth suspect a bit of a troll.

Out of the blue comes an unsolicited recommendation for an airline. Now comes information that is factually incorrect - their pitch is not the same as Virgin.

And then the plug for "all meals" and a luggage allowance that is no better than most any TATL carrier.

Caveat Emptor.

Me doth suspect a bit of a troll.

Out of the blue comes an unsolicited recommendation for an airline. Now comes information that is factually incorrect - their pitch is not the same as Virgin.

And then the plug for "all meals" and a luggage allowance that is no better than most any TATL carrier.

Caveat Emptor.

Think what you like.

I'm sorry to disappoint you - I am not a "troll".

My post was just trying to help people to quality economical flights. From the tone of a number of posts I take it travelling charter airline is below some people on CC. We all have individual choice.

I have travelled them 4 times in the last 24 months and their aircraft are newer and more technically advanced in terms of the entertainment system,

Their seat pitch on the new aircraft is exactly the same as on Virgin Atlantic and the seats themselves are better constructed and more comfortable.

Someone asked about hidden costs which is why I politely posted that the fare their website shows includes meals and luggage. If this is being a troll them I stand accused and plead guilty.

Shame on you some CC posters.

Globaliser, I loved the you tube video about cheap flights by Fascinating AIDA.

Thanks for posting the link. For those of you who read this post please take a look using the link on Globalisers signature or by using

You'll laugh out loud! Thanks again !!!

• 2 weeks later...
Globaliser, I loved the you tube video about cheap flights by Fascinating AIDA.

Thanks for posting the link. For those of you who read this post please take a look using the link on Globalisers signature or by using

You'll laugh out loud! Thanks again !!!

Glad you enjoyed it! ;)