Cruise Line Loyalty

Bgentles

Why is it so important for cruisers to be loyal to the point of being rude? I've spent more time in forums lately, and I am amazed at the snide comments, criticizing of other lines than the ones you like, etc. I have been on several cruises on one specific line (other than in the 70's), and I've enjoyed them all, but I see no reason to blast those that don't care for the line I usually sail. Thoughts? I'm just curious really;)

Why is it so important for cruisers to be loyal to the point of being rude?)

Hi,

I do not have an answer to this question above ...... but I think that the people who are rude .... are just rude .... and that has nothing to do with loyalty to any line. They can and sometimes are rude to fellow posters cruising on the same line as they are.

Why is it so important for cruisers to be loyal to the point of being rude? I've spent more time in forums lately, and I am amazed at the snide comments, criticizing of other lines than the ones you like, etc. I have been on several cruises on one specific line (other than in the 70's), and I've enjoyed them all, but I see no reason to blast those that don't care for the line I usually sail. Thoughts? I'm just curious really;)

I can't answer your question, but would like to know the answer as well. We sail on whatever ship offers us what we want for the price we are willing to pay for it. What we want can vary from vacation to vacation as is what we are willing to pay for it. While I can't say we have ever had a bad cruise there is one cruise that would cause us to think heavily before choosing that line again. Not anything against that line...it just wasn't for us, which we found out after trying it. But you won't see me bad mouthing that line to those who enjoy it. I did post my disappointments in our review, but I also posted the things we enjoyed about it too. I do find myself debating with some of those bashers when I personally don't agree with their opinion. My point is to offer another point of view to those who are researching their cruise options. Usually when I do that I get called a cheerleader even though we have been on 12 cruises on 4 different cruise lines. I'm definitely not cruise loyal or a cheerleader :D.

I have wondered about the same thing myself, and have developed a couple of theories. (I do psychology as a hobby. :cool:) I think loyalists ("cheerleaders") have a problem with criticism because it ultimately calls into question their own "taste" in cruise lines. In other words, if their preferred cruise lines is not perfect (or nealry so), it means that they may not have the impeccable taste they think they have.

My other theory is that pax become so personally attached to their favorite ships and lines that criticizing their favorites is a little like criticizing a family member or close friend. Folks get that emotionally invested, I think.

Just my hypotheses.

Well on this forum being rude seems to be the norm for some people. Just read any thread on Formal Nights, Tipping, Smoking and you are all but guaranteed to find someone abusing someone else just because they have a different point of view.

Also remember that most people on here have no idea who anyone else is, due to usernames and most will never meet each other. You then have the ideal breeding ground for rudeness.

Sometimes I think it is just a familiarity thing--if people have cruised a certain line many, many times, it's kind of like coming home, they know what to expect, it's easier to plan, no surprises; plus the perks for being frequent cruisers are nice.

We're not particularly cruise line loyal--we book almost any line if the deal, itinerary and timing is right. I like trying new things, and have noticed that on our most traveled cruise line (Princess, 10 cruises; I know, not much compared to many) things have gotten a bit too familiar; entertainment, menus, etc. So, our upcoming cruise # 30 is on another line.

So far, on 7 different cruise lines, we've always managed to have a great time.

This us a very good question. Often the remarks go beyond snide, at times people can be rude and cutting. It does seem to come from a small group people and sometimes there is a 'pile on mentality'. My guess is the people don't recognize that cruise lines are corporations who are only loyal to their stockholders but rather regard cruise lines as their personal clubs or associations. As a result of this misplaced loyalty, they regard any negative remark about their favourite cruise line as an attack on themselves and react accordingly.

I have wondered about the same thing myself, and have developed a couple of theories. (I do psychology as a hobby. :cool:) I think loyalists ("cheerleaders") have a problem with criticism because it ultimately calls into question their own "taste" in cruise lines. In other words, if their preferred cruise lines is not perfect (or nealry so), it means that they may not have the impeccable taste they think they have.

My other theory is that pax become so personally attached to their favorite ships and lines that criticizing their favorites is a little like criticizing a family member or close friend. Folks get that emotionally invested, I think.

Just my hypotheses.

Good analysis. I might add that sometimes regular cruisers of a line may post a 'robust' response to a piece of incorrect information which can be misinterpreted as rudeness or cheerleading. Sometimes a review or observation can be so at odds with a 'regular's' repeated experience of something that their response is interpreted as belligerent.

However, some posters can be quite abrasive (guilty myself when things heat up and I've been 'practising my cocktail making' before posting:o!)

Thanks! I appreciate your input since I'm rather new to this type of thing :-). I spent last Saturday watching a particular, group of feed/forum (don't know the correct term) take on a number of comments that lasted the entire day and got down right nasty! I admit to being quite entertained by the whole thing, yet very curious about the need to be so defensive towards others with differing opinions.

I did notice that some seem familiar with others and their need to be a "cheerleader" or "basher/whiner" (not my choice of words) just those I've learned of late :-)

My visits here have been to seek out others opinions and experiences so I could be informed on a particular ship I may be thinking of taking! Boy, did I learn a lot!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks! I appreciate your input since I'm rather new to this type of thing :-). I spent last Saturday watching a particular, group of feed/forum (don't know the correct term) take on a number of comments that lasted the entire day and got down right nasty! I admit to being quite entertained by the whole thing, yet very curious about the need to be so defensive towards others with differing opinions.

I did notice that some seem familiar with others and their need to be a "cheerleader" or "basher/whiner" (not my choice of words) just those I've learned of late :-)

My visits here have been to seek out others opinions and experiences so I could be informed on a particular ship I may be thinking of taking! Boy, did I learn a lot!!!

You will find alit get very opinionated and nasty if someone doesn't agree with them

The thing is everyone likes different things do what is good for one is not always good for others

People often think their view is only one

I like to look everyone has their own desire and to get the

Most out of your cruise

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We are also loyal to one cruise line.

And I have noticed how people blast others for staying loyal. The last couple of years that I have been here on CC I have noticed that there are more rude people than when I joined many years ago.

Why?? -- society has changed and I believe that has a lot to do with people blasting others and acting rude.

Some would call me loyal since I stick with the same line, I call it convenient and doable at a moments notice. I happen to live a few minutes from PC. I may be bored in Saturday and decide to cruise on Sunday. For me, I can only do that, especially solo, if I pick an inexpensive trip. If I were to hit the lotto and retire LOL, my "loyalty" would be out the window!!! For now, I repack from last cruise for Sunday sailing and will enjoy each and every day of it! I am going on a different line in a few weeks and I admit to being nervous about it. Will be out of my comfort zone, but will surely enjoy that trip as well. Blessed to live in FL I guess :-)

I agree, some of the comments get rude, which I don't really understand either. I guess some people just need to have everyone agree that they are right. But, in the real world its different strokes for different folks, what I like someone else surely hates and vice versa.

I am loyal to a cruise line, I like the product they sell and the experience I have with them. That doesn't mean that I can't have just as good a time with another cruise line, I'd love to have the time and money to try them all. We do have a list (a long list) of other cruiselines to try, some day maybe we'll get to them.

I do admit that I'll be in for a bit of a shock the first time I cruise elsewhere, Platinum priority embarkation is a sweet perk to give up to try another cruise line and once I hit Elite, free laundry is going to be even harder to do without. ;)

I agree, some of the comments get rude, which I don't really understand either. I guess some people just need to have everyone agree that they are right. But, in the real world its different strokes for different folks, what I like someone else surely hates and vice versa.

I am loyal to a cruise line, I like the product they sell and the experience I have with them. That doesn't mean that I can't have just as good a time with another cruise line, I'd love to have the time and money to try them all. We do have a list (a long list) of other cruiselines to try, some day maybe we'll get to them.

I do admit that I'll be in for a bit of a shock the first time I cruise elsewhere, Platinum priority embarkation is a sweet perk to give up to try another cruise line and once I hit Elite, free laundry is going to be even harder to do without. ;)

I hear that! I'm going 10/4 as an absolute newbie on RC, and thinking of the days I'll be giving up as I move to Platinum (20 days away) on CCL. We get suites several times a year so I'm already used to those perks. Perks are good!

Without a doubt, there are posters who find it nearly impossible to accept that we all have different preferences. Their need to be right trumps everything else. It seems that these posters take a differing opinion as a personal attack. Yes, it can get quite nasty at times. I recently witnessed a very shocking thread that was little more than a mobbing. I added quite a few user names to my Ignore List as a result.

My perspective is that "loyalists" opinions may be valid but perhaps only for them because a few are so high up in the loyalty program and ARE treated differently, making their cruise a different experience than the average or new cruiser on that line. I think all cruiselines do make an effort to provide extras and upgraded privileges for their loyalty folks and those people's opinions become skewed as a result.

So, my concerns are their reviews and comments made to others. Since it isn't possible to know each reviewer's background, we need to become savvy at reading between the lines.

I find that we all cruise for different reasons snd want different things

There is never a reason for putting people down just for

Liking different things to you

Cruising is to enjoy so let's all do that in our own ways

I suspect that many not only think that their cruise line is better than anyone else's but that cruising on that line makes them a better person than anyone else, too.

Edited by sparks1093

I find that we all cruise for different reasons snd want different things

There is never a reason for putting people down just for

Liking different things to you

Cruising is to enjoy so let's all do that in our own ways

I couldn't agree more! Well stated :-)

We are about as loyal to a cruise line as we are to a department store or a gas station.

Our loyalty is based on our last experience. We do not reward a cruise line for a sub standard cruise experience by booking another cruise on the same line. We vote with our feet.

These are large multinational corporate firms..not our first born.

Is the reverse true..are these cruise lines loyal to their customers? On some cruise lines you can actually pay more if you are a so called 'valued, loyal customer'. What is wrong with that picture?

Edited by iancal

Good analysis. I might add that sometimes regular cruisers of a line may post a 'robust' response to a piece of incorrect information which can be misinterpreted as rudeness or cheerleading. Sometimes a review or observation can be so at odds with a 'regular's' repeated experience of something that their response is interpreted as belligerent.

However, some posters can be quite abrasive (guilty myself when things heat up and I've been 'practising my cocktail making' before posting:o!)

Your observations remind me of a factor which I neglected to mention in my previous post -- the "unemotionality" of typed text. I have found out through some regrettable experiences :o that simply typing something I mean to be matter-of-fact can easily be interpreted as brusque, rude, pushy, know-it-all-ish, snarky or even belligerent. This is a problem on message boards and emails as well, I find. This is why I have learned to depend so much on emoticons, silly though they are. Without facial expressions, tone of voice, even body language as clues, it can be difficult to fully understand what folks really mean by what they type, and "cheerleaders" are the types who are predisposed to be defensive, by definition.

This is not to say that folks don't post nasty comments which can be interpreted as nasty because that is the way they were meant to be understood! :eek:

I always reread my postings and frequently make extra effort to soften the language which I would ordinarily use, such as, "What do you mean by that?" which would seem innocuous enough in speech but comes off as challenging in type. So now I type things like, "Would you mind explaining more about what you mean?" This sort of smarminess grates against my open and forthright New England upbringing, :rolleyes: but I have now lived in the South for over twenty years, so I know a thing about saccharine verbal expressions and smiling smarminess! :p Living in the South has taught me a thing or two about veiled insults, too, BTW! These are useful skills I find myself applying to message boards.

This question alone is fodder for at least 10 different Masters/Doctoral theses.

I agree. The length some people will go to in defense of their favorite cruise line is in most cases indicative of a mental disorder - usually insecurity. I've even known people on these boards to lie about their cruising experience - usually touting a negative experience on a rival cruise line - just to help support their agenda. In fact, I can name (but I won't) one person on one particular cruise line board who presently does that. It's weird.