QM2, perhaps no longer fit for a Queen.. Review

melb1988

Unfortunately the only photo I took on my QE visit was an exterior shot.

I have not seen any interiors published from the time she was open as an "attraction" in Florida till her fiery demise in Hong Kong.

However there are a number of interiors of QM just after arrival in Long Beach out there, I recall one of a particularly tacky "Flamenco Lounge" alteration made very late in her career.

In that 60's time frame, most of the general public had come to regard "crossings" as an anachronism after the advent of the jet, and "cruising" as something primarily for the idle rich.

By the early 70's, as dozens of famous liners marched off to the breakers and many famous lines went out of business entirely, some feelings of nostalgia started to develop. Also in this time frame budget cruises for the masses started to be promoted.

Dear Melb1988

Thank you for your original post about your recent cruise on the QM2.

I elected to register to be able to reply after having read all the replies to this post.

No one disputes your thoughts and recordings though of course we all have different thoughts ourselves and this forum allows all of us the right to post factual and sometimes emotional replies without insulting the group or the rules of the group.

As you are fully aware , all airlines much like cruise lines operate 24 hours a day with scheduled time to repair and maintain. Even an B-777 or an A380 or a B747 will show signs of age or neglect but as long as those employed to keep the passengers happy and comfortable to get them to the destination in a safe and memorable way , then all is fine.

I have tripped many a time going down a stair or entering a plane but still enjoyed my experience. I have seen more unhappy flight personal then ship personal.

I had to pause reading your OP as it was a lot of detail to absorb and prior life made me think next time, try point form for your observations then it makes more sense. Reading was like reading a novel, wondering what is the main message you wish to give us.

It would make a lot of sense to have summarized and sent to Cunard Head Office , we do ship rebuild where I live and that ship arrives on a set day at a set time and must be completed as scheduled to proceed on its next voyage with all those passengers who booked a year prior,

Please do remind yourselves , that a lot of us might not say much but if we reply on something it is with good reason and intent to share. We do not brag and we do not expose people's perceived past on the forums , accept us for the present .

By the way , I will be on the QM2 for its July voyage to Halifax and on this year , my first time and I look forward to its traditions and its peoples, warts and all :)

We are Cunard

Rob

Show off! Looks like a fab stateroom. I think I'll have to win the lottery to be able to travel like that. In the meantime it's steerage for me!!!

Ha ha.. Yes Richard not only has been in some fantastic rooms on many cruise lines but even in the staterooms overlooking the Atrium on the QM2 when he was experiencing travel as a single passenger on a November 2013 crossing .

http://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2013/11/20/solo-trans-atlantic-live-blog-day-1/

In my case I will be experiencing an Outside Cabin (Stateroom) on QM2 for its 175th re-enactment voyage to the New World in July :)

I could have had a suite last year and in fact I did for 16 hours on hold, but it was about $20,000 Cdn for the two of us. :p

Such is life, but we all experience the same voyage once on board. :)

Rob

Edited by Robbar
add signature

If paying that kind of money, it does raise the question of which is preferable- a grill suite on a Cunard ship, or a low category suite on a luxury cruise line.

That of course would depend on what one calls a luxury cruise line.

You may like to take a look at my most recent cruise, four weeks ago...

http://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2015/02/12/silver-spirit-to-tahiti/

I have also reviewed it on this board under Silversea.

As I have clearly stated, Butler service and restaurant waiters on Silversea could certainly learn a thing or two from Cunard...

9722635693_d40b8e1680_z.jpg

Photo taken in Queens Grill on Queen Mary 2.

That of course would depend on what one calls a luxury cruise line.

You may like to take a look at my most recent cruise, four weeks ago...

http://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2015/02/12/silver-spirit-to-tahiti/

I have also reviewed it on this board under Silversea.

As I have clearly stated, Butler service and restaurant waiters on Silversea could certainly learn a thing or two from Cunard...

9722635693_d40b8e1680_z.jpg

Photo taken in Queens Grill on Queen Mary 2.

Thank you for the links.

There are many elements that contribute to defining a luxury cruise line, but an overall rating of 5/5+ stars by Douglas Ward would be a useful start.

An individual may prefer one element over another, for example a casual ambience rather than a formal one, modern décor as opposed to an art deco one.

My most recent cruise was on the Europa 2, and overall it appeals to me more than other 5/5+ star lines.

Dear Melb1988

Thank you for your original post about your recent cruise on the QM2.

I elected to register to be able to reply after having read all the replies to this post.

No one disputes your thoughts and recordings though of course we all have different thoughts ourselves and this forum allows all of us the right to post factual and sometimes emotional replies without insulting the group or the rules of the group.

As you are fully aware , all airlines much like cruise lines operate 24 hours a day with scheduled time to repair and maintain. Even an B-777 or an A380 or a B747 will show signs of age or neglect but as long as those employed to keep the passengers happy and comfortable to get them to the destination in a safe and memorable way , then all is fine.

I have tripped many a time going down a stair or entering a plane but still enjoyed my experience. I have seen more unhappy flight personal then ship personal.

I had to pause reading your OP as it was a lot of detail to absorb and prior life made me think next time, try point form for your observations then it makes more sense. Reading was like reading a novel, wondering what is the main message you wish to give us.

It would make a lot of sense to have summarized and sent to Cunard Head Office , we do ship rebuild where I live and that ship arrives on a set day at a set time and must be completed as scheduled to proceed on its next voyage with all those passengers who booked a year prior,

Please do remind yourselves , that a lot of us might not say much but if we reply on something it is with good reason and intent to share. We do not brag and we do not expose people's perceived past on the forums , accept us for the present .

By the way , I will be on the QM2 for its July voyage to Halifax and on this year , my first time and I look forward to its traditions and its peoples, warts and all :)

We are Cunard

Rob

Thanks Rob for your reposnse!

As I mentioned, it is a long review so naturally I thought those who are interested will read it and those who aren't wont. It's up to readers and whatever choice is fine by me but it is there regardless. Today it has been published on the main member review page :)

Thanks for the points re how you think it should have been written but I am comfortable with how I wrote it as I basically just sat down and wrote as I thought as opposed to structuring and planning it and then writing it.

I highly agree with where you pointed out that everyone has a right to a response and yes I'm aware that reviews, such as mine can often evoke emotional responses. But I must point out that yes, in fact certain people here do dispute my thoughts and recordings which again is fine, but I cannot justify someone telling me that 'my review is factually incorrect' because how can it be when its just a recount of my experience and what it saw. No one can tell me that it's factually incorrect for me to have felt negative about certain aspects of the ship. If I had stated that the ship was too small for example then yes by all means dispute it as we all know that even by today's standards it isn't a small ship, a quick look at the gross tonnage would confirm that. But me stating, again for example, that the service in some areas wasn't great cannot be considered fiction as it is simply a point of view. Everyone naturally is going to have different expectations of what good service even is.

There seems to be a few people here that cannot bare the thought that Cunard could possibly have some negative points and there for feel the need to try discredit you or tell you are wrong for feeling a certain way. So I stand by what I've said because It was my vacation, my experience, my review and if I did feel a certain way about something, then by all means I have the right to state it here without another member telling me basically that 'im wrong' and that they know better or worse make it out that I am lying for some

Unknown reason?

I appreciate your example using the aeroplanes and if good service alone is what makes your flight enjoyable then that's great. Me on the other hand, I expect not only good service but a well maintained and presented product. Sure, a pretty flight attendant with a big friendly smile who gives you extra peanuts is nice but it doesn't overide the fact that there's gum on my seat, the tray won't come down or the seat won't recline. She's done her bit for you perfectly but what about the airlines bit in ensuring that a certain level of product quality is maintained? In my opinion, it's abit of a cop out for a multimillion dollar airline to say to themselves 'yeah the plane is shabby, but we'll just ask the flight attendants who we don't even pay much to make up for the short comings of the plane itself and of coarse still charge the passanger full price'. Seems to be the general direction of big business these days, spend less, rely more on those at the bottom and still charge the customer more and more. And that's just not on in my opinion. I as a customer expect all round high quality if I am paying a premium price for a so called 'premium product', no excuses. If you cannot offer the premium product as described then lower the premium pricing. Simple and ethically right! Of coarse all that is just my personal opinion, you may and by all means have the right to fell differently. I am a firm believer in the saying 'you get what you pay for' and With Cunard you certainly pay! That's for sure..

I assume your refrence about tripping is in refrence to the potholes on QM2, they certainly didn't ruin my holiday that's for sure! But again is it responsible of Cunard to even allow these holes to remain!? That is concerning for me as it is a safety issue and we are all aware that Majority of Cunards passangers are older and I can't seem to understand how a company (any company) could be absolutely fine with having such unseen dangers lurking around the ship. It's a lawsuit waiting to happen but furthermore don't they even care that someone may hurt themselves? It's beyond me..

I guess what I'm trying to say and the main message of my review is that yes I had a lovely time onboard and yes I will travel Cunard again and again (QV/QE until I know QM2 has received it's refit), but there's no denying (in my opinion) that the QM2 has been allowed to slip in many different areas and I simply cannot justify why. There is no valid excuse in my opinion for most of the issues I pointed out and I personally believe the only reason why the ship has said issues is because Carnival is trying to see just how much they can get away with and just how much we're willing to put up with inorder to save some cash. If you can no longer offer a premium product then thast absolutely fine, don't market it as a premium product and no longer charge premium prices. But don't take us loyals for fools and assume we'll put up with anything and everything and won't say 'boo' because of our love for the Historical Line.. That's just not on and we don't deserve it.

Edited by melb1988

Thank you for the links.

There are many elements that contribute to defining a luxury cruise line, but an overall rating of 5/5+ stars by Douglas Ward would be a useful start.

An individual may prefer one element over another, for example a casual ambience rather than a formal one, modern décor as opposed to an art deco one.

My most recent cruise was on the Europa 2, and overall it appeals to me more than other 5/5+ star lines.

Ah, Europa 2, now we are talking English Voyager...

http://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2014/10/03/europa-2-raising-the-bar/

Raising the bar as I reviewed it...

15417526002_864906e197_z.jpg

15225373678_533a7714ba_z.jpg

But no Butlers!

What ever you do, don't mention the price to Babs135. She'd go apoplectic.:):)

Thanks Rob for your reposnse!

As I mentioned, it is a long review so naturally I thought those who are interested will read it and those who aren't wont. It's up to readers and whatever choice is fine by me but it is there regardless. Today it has been published on the main member review page :)

Thanks for the points re how you think it should have been written but I am comfortable with how I wrote it as I basically just sat down and wrote as I thought as opposed to structuring and planning it and then writing it.

I highly agree with where you pointed out that everyone has a right to a response and yes I'm aware that reviews, such as mine can often evoke emotional responses. But I must point out that yes, in fact certain people here do dispute my thoughts and recordings which again is fine, but I cannot justify someone telling me that 'my review is factually incorrect' because how can it be when its just a recount of my experience and what it saw. No one can tell me that it's factually incorrect for me to have felt negative about certain aspects of the ship. If I had stated that the ship was too small for example then yes by all means dispute it as we all know that even by today's standards it isn't a small ship, a quick look at the gross tonnage would confirm that. But me stating, again for example, that the service in some areas wasn't great cannot be considered fiction as it is simply a point of view. Everyone naturally is going to have different expectations of what good service even is.

There seems to be a few people here that cannot bare the thought that Cunard could possibly have some negative points and there for feel the need to try discredit you or tell you are wrong for feeling a certain way. So I stand by what I've said because It was my vacation, my experience, my review and if I did feel a certain way about something, then by all means I have the right to state it here without another member telling me basically that 'im wrong' and that they know better or worse make it out that I am lying for some

Unknown reason?

I appreciate your example using the aeroplanes and if good service alone is what makes your flight enjoyable then that's great. Me on the other hand, I expect not only good service but a well maintained and presented product. Sure, a pretty flight attendant with a big friendly smile who gives you extra peanuts is nice but it doesn't overide the fact that there's gum on my seat, the tray won't come down or the seat won't recline. She's done her bit for you perfectly but what about the airlines bit in ensuring that a certain level of product quality is maintained? In my opinion, it's abit of a cop out for a multimillion dollar airline to say to themselves 'yeah the plane is shabby, but we'll just ask the flight attendants who we don't even pay much to make up for the short comings of the plane itself and of coarse still charge the passanger full price'. Seems to be the general direction of big business these days, spend less, rely more on those at the bottom and still charge the customer more and more. And that's just not on in my opinion. I as a customer expect all round high quality if I am paying a premium price for a so called 'premium product', no excuses. If you cannot offer the premium product as described then lower the premium pricing. Simple and ethically right! Of coarse all that is just my personal opinion, you may and by all means have the right to fell differently. I am a firm believer in the saying 'you get what you pay for' and With Cunard you certainly pay! That's for sure..

I assume your refrence about tripping is in refrence to the potholes on QM2, they certainly didn't ruin my holiday that's for sure! But again is it responsible of Cunard to even allow these holes to remain!? That is concerning for me as it is a safety issue and we are all aware that Majority of Cunards passangers are older and I can't seem to understand how a company (any company) could be absolutely fine with having such unseen dangers lurking around the ship. It's a lawsuit waiting to happen but furthermore don't they even care that someone may hurt themselves? It's beyond me..

I guess what I'm trying to say and the main message of my review is that yes I had a lovely time onboard and yes I will travel Cunard again and again (QV/QE until I know QM2 has received it's refit), but there's no denying (in my opinion) that the QM2 has been allowed to slip in many different areas and I simply cannot justify why. There is no valid excuse in my opinion for most of the issues I pointed out and I personally believe the only reason why the ship has said issues is because Carnival is trying to see just how much they can get away with and just how much we're willing to put up with inorder to save some cash. If you can no longer offer a premium product then thast absolutely fine, don't market it as a premium product and no longer charge premium prices. But don't take us loyals for fools and assume we'll put up with anything and everything and won't say 'boo' because of our love for the Historical Line.. That's just not on and we don't deserve it.

Love it.:eek:

Ah, Europa 2, now we are talking English Voyager...

What ever you do, don't mention the price to Babs135. She'd go apoplectic.:):)

I will accept this comment in the manner in which I hope it was posted :D

I personally do not find Cunard or its passangers intimidating.. At all. I've meet some fairly prominent and wealthy people onboard and have always found them easy to get along with and very down to earth 'normal' and at the other end of the spectrum have seen and met just as many average joes onboard and they were the same. You often see thread here relating to the topic of 'will we fit in?' 'Is it right for us?' Which is funny once you've actually experienced the ships because once on board you soon realise that the overall vibe of the ship is intact rather relaxed and casual. Of coarse you are always going to get a few that you would prefer to avoid but that's like any ship or situation where you are placed in proximity with random others.

I get the idea that a lot of people think the Grills could possibly be full of snobs. From my experiences it is not, couldn't be more opposite in fact. I've always found majority of people to be lovely! Many great nights have been spent in the Grills dinning rooms having a laugh, making new friends! The grills has a certain vibe to it that I think that the rest of the ship doesn't, very 'once your in the grills, you're in the club..' And I don't mean that in a rude or snotty way, more like everyone accepts everyone else in the grills. It does have a certain 'country club membership feel to it' and you do feel apart of something special.

Of coarse most people I have met from Britannia, like the grills have also been friendly. I will note though that sometimes it does seem that the cheaper cabins do allow for some more, how should I say it, 'out there', 'unusual' guests to be apart of the Cunard experience, some of which spend the whole time complaining how boring the ship is etc etc, they are often more suited to other lines I feel and should never have bothered with Cunard as it clearly isn't 'their type of thing'

Generally everyone is lovely.

Oh I will point out though that I do find that every voyage seems to have its fair share of 'b*tchy' Queens who can be rather nasty if you don't give them the attention they want. (Yes I am a gay male) but they are easily avoided if you choose too.

I personally do not find Cunard or its passangers intimidating.. At all. I've meet some fairly prominent and wealthy people onboard and have always found them easy to get along with and very down to earth 'normal' and at the other end of the spectrum have seen and met just as many average joes onboard and they were the same. You often see thread here relating to the topic of 'will we fit in?' 'Is it right for us?' Which is funny once you've actually experienced the ships because once on board you soon realise that the overall vibe of the ship is intact rather relaxed and casual. Of coarse you are always going to get a few that you would prefer to avoid but that's like any ship or situation where you are placed in proximity with random others.

I get the idea that a lot of people think the Grills could possibly be full of snobs. From my experiences it is not, couldn't be more opposite in fact. I've always found majority of people to be lovely! Many great nights have been spent in the Grills dinning rooms having a laugh, making new friends! The grills has a certain vibe to it that I think that the rest of the ship doesn't, very 'once your in the grills, you're in the club..' And I don't mean that in a rude or snotty way, more like everyone accepts everyone else in the grills. It does have a certain 'country club membership feel to it' and you do feel apart of something special.

Of coarse most people I have met from Britannia, like the grills have also been friendly. I will note though that sometimes it does seem that the cheaper cabins do allow for some more, how should I say it, 'out there', 'unusual' guests to be apart of the Cunard experience, some of which spend the whole time complaining how boring the ship is etc etc, they are often more suited to other lines I feel and should never have bothered with Cunard as it clearly isn't 'their type of thing'

Oh I will point out though that I do find that every voyage seems to have its fair share of 'b*tchy' Queens who can be rather nasty if you don't give them the attention they want. (Yes I am a gay male) but they are easily avoided if you choose too.

I really like you Melb!

Jeanne

Hi Melb. I've never book the Grills, so I have no experience to relate...except that I think I must have encountered Grills passengers out and about on the ship (QM2). Yet, I wouldn't know they were Grills passengers unless they happened to mention it, but I've only encountered that once when someone mistook me for a fellow Grills passenger (mistaken identity, obviously :D)

Just to mention that so-called "cheaper cabins" are not always cheaper: single supplement for an inside cabin can be the same price as a balcony cabin. And sometimes the most expensive cabins are occupied by those lucky enough to receive an amazing upgrade. But that's not the point. I've met passengers who actually prefer a inside cabin, regardless of the price or that they could afford a suite. And I have met passengers who actually prefer to dine in Britannia Dining Room rather than the Grill's dinning rooms for various reasons. So the point I'm trying to make is that cabin category means nothing when it comes to the character and affability of our fellow passengers.

I'm just realizing how lucky I have been - I've never encountered a passenger on QM2 who did nothing but complain. Of course, at the dinner table, the days events are discussed openly, but any screw-up mentioned usually ends on a positive note and then the conversation moves on to another topic of interest.

I agree with you that there are those (Gay, Bi or Straight) who seem to think they should be treated as Queens, but as you say, they are easily avoided.

BTW, I'm glad to see a young person such as yourself taking an interest in Maritime history and the Cunard Line. May your future include many exciting voyages. Regards, -S.

Edited by Salacia

Hi Melb. I've never book the Grills, so I have no experience to relate...except that I think I must have encountered Grills passengers out and about on the ship (QM2). Yet, I wouldn't know they were Grills passengers unless they happened to mention it, but I've only encountered that once when someone mistook me for a fellow Grills passenger (mistaken identity, obviously :D)

Just to mention that so-called "cheaper cabins" are not always cheaper: single supplement for an inside cabin can be the same price as a balcony cabin. And sometimes the most expensive cabins are occupied by those lucky enough to receive an amazing upgrade. But that's not the point. I've met passengers who actually prefer a inside cabin, regardless of the price or that they could afford a suite. And I have met passengers who actually prefer to dine in Britannia Dining Room rather than the Grill's dinning rooms for various reasons. So the point I'm trying to make is that cabin category means nothing when it comes to the character and affability of our fellow passengers.

I'm just realizing how lucky I have been - I've never encountered a passenger on QM2 who did nothing but complain. Of course, at the dinner table, the days events are discussed openly, but any screw-up mentioned usually ends on a positive note and then the conversation moves on to another topic of interest.

I agree with you that there are those (Gay, Bi or Straight) who seem to think they should be treated as Queens, but as you say, they are easily avoided.

BTW, I'm glad to see a young person such as yourself taking an interest in Maritime history and the Cunard Line. May your future include many exciting voyages. Regards, -S.

Please don't think that I meant that people who buy cheaper cabins are somehow more 'un desirable', I really didn't want it to come across that way! I simply meant that having such cheap cabins available on some voyages can sometimes lead to people booking who otherwise wouldn't normally book on Cunard and then once onboard they realise its not the line for them and then complain about how different it is to the usual lines they travel with (which are usually less pricey lines). On my last voyage there was a rowdy Australian lady who didn't seem to do anything other than get drunk, smoke and complain about how boring it all is and how much more she prefers P&O Australia. Which those of you who know about that line, know that it couldn't be further from Cunard in a sense of onboard atmosphere, fellow guest, things to do etc etc.

of coarse if you are a ' regular Cunarder', cabin is irrelevant in my books, as we all have one same thing in common, we love Cunard and everything that it stands for. So chances are we'll all get along just fine.

For example probably the best couple I met and have enjoyed the most out of all my voyages and formed a true friendship with (that continues onshore) were both in an inside room whilst I was in Princess Grill. Category really is irrelevant in that sense and I don't mind saying, they have a lot more money than me! Hahaha..

Thanks for the kind words, I wish more people my age were into the history of ocean liners.. Seems to be quite a rare interest for the younger generations. Cars & Planes seem to always be at the top..

I know some folks who have done World Cruises and seqments , as said prior, booked an inside cabin or Outside to reduce the initial cost so they can enjoy that type of cruise, others as they cannot abide light into the cabin or as some say I use it only for sleeping. The cabin type does not define a person's character nor the accommodation class.

Kind of like waiting in the Airports Lounges reserved for frequent flyers, airmiles collected, some purchase entrance for the day, backpackers, business people, students, jetsetters all waiting to board a plane in comfort , relaxation.

As I said prior , once one's trip begins, we are all equal , course some will always think better but it is a ship full of thousands, has to be the odd duck, much like marrying into a family. Even odd ducks can be quite enjoyable once you spend the time to know them.

In our case, we finally have the time to take a longer vacation , spoil ourselves for trips we could never do before but now grandchildren have new demands on ones time, which is precious.

Cannot know all on a voyage but always glad to meet new people and explore if we listen to each other. Always learn something

Cheers / Rob

Edited by Robbar
spells :)

Please don't think that I meant that people who buy cheaper cabins are somehow more 'un desirable', I really didn't want it to come across that way! I simply meant that having such cheap cabins available on some voyages can sometimes lead to people booking who otherwise wouldn't normally book on Cunard and then once onboard they realise its not the line for them and then complain about how different it is to the usual lines they travel with (which are usually less pricey lines). On my last voyage there was a rowdy Australian lady who didn't seem to do anything other than get drunk, smoke and complain about how boring it all is and how much more she prefers P&O Australia. Which those of you who know about that line, know that it couldn't be further from Cunard in a sense of onboard atmosphere, fellow guest, things to do etc etc.

of coarse if you are a ' regular Cunarder', cabin is irrelevant in my books, as we all have one same thing in common, we love Cunard and everything that it stands for. So chances are we'll all get along just fine.

For example probably the best couple I met and have enjoyed the most out of all my voyages and formed a true friendship with (that continues onshore) were both in an inside room whilst I was in Princess Grill. Category really is irrelevant in that sense and I don't mind saying, they have a lot more money than me! Hahaha..

Thanks for the kind words, I wish more people my age were into the history of ocean liners.. Seems to be quite a rare interest for the younger generations. Cars & Planes seem to always be at the top..

Mel B

I'd suggest that the person you describe had an expectation that regardless of what cruise line she went on , she would have behaved exactly the same. In our case getting to a ship regardless of cruiseline always involves a long flight and hotels and I have not seen a cheap cabin price offered by Cunard unless it was a special in off season. Course one has to define the value of cheap ..

For sure , cheap cabins can be found on the cruise lines that offer cruises around the Caribbean or Alaska or reposition mainly in off season or that break of holidays.

One of my friends wrote recently that in her Cunard World Cruise going around Australia some of the best passengers in terms of bringing some laughter and fun to the ship were the Aussies who boarded at one port to the next for three or so days and then left.

Thank you for your clarification.

Oh, I meant to say , Utube has some amazing videos on the history and building of current Cunard liners and past plus some of the early lines from Europe

Part of my fun is spending 45 minutes of such watching these videos as I enjoy the construction process including the latest planes.

Cheers / Rob

Edited by Robbar
utube mention

Mel B

I'd suggest that the person you describe had an expectation that regardless of what cruise line she went on , she would have behaved exactly the same. In our case getting to a ship regardless of cruiseline always involves a long flight and hotels and I have not seen a cheap cabin price offered by Cunard unless it was a special in off season. Course one has to define the value of cheap ..

For sure , cheap cabins can be found on the cruise lines that offer cruises around the Caribbean or Alaska or reposition mainly in off season or that break of holidays.

One of my friends wrote recently that in her Cunard World Cruise going around Australia some of the best passengers in terms of bringing some laughter and fun to the ship were the Aussies who boarded at one port to the next for three or so days and then left.

Thank you for your clarification.

Oh, I meant to say , Utube has some amazing videos on the history and building of current Cunard liners and past plus some of the early lines from Europe

Part of my fun is spending 45 minutes of such watching these videos as I enjoy the construction process including the latest planes.

Cheers / Rob

Thanks Rob, I will definitely have to check out YouTube although I have seen many of the loner Docos available, I always seem to get suprised by one I havent :) much fun!!

We do have some extremely cheap fares for segments here in Aus, not through Cunard though, usually offered through agents. On my last voyage Hong Kong to Sydney, 10 nights. I saw as little as $1400 AUD for an inside at one stage!

I myself only paid $2300 AUD for Princess Grill (but got upgraded to Queens) so we do get some pretty good offers here but you do need to constantly check prices and know which agents to monitor.

Aussies are great fun :) and I am often told by Americans and Brits that they enjoy us onboard! But some of us are just plan feral, like said lady I spoke of haha :D

Our last long cruise a few years ago (dare I day :) ) was on Dawn Princess for 28 days around Australia, day in Bali and an overnight in Hobart which reminded us of our local city here. We saw family in Perth that my wife had not seen for eons , after leaving Barbados. The plane was a 16 hours direct which worked out well on a B777-200 so I bought the seating beside one of the exit doors , gave us lost of room aside from my wife waking up to see some fellow doing stretches in front of her .

That cruise was where she had just completed her world cruise and we discovered folks continuing onto our segment then continuing after to New Zealand and the islands.

One wishes... :)

Course the majority were Australia and New Zealand and yes we ran into the ones who were very impolite and felt the world revolved around them but all in all it was a fun cruise. Our table ended up with one couple who never appeared, another who came every odd night and a great Aussie couple who kept us in laughter and information. The funny part was aside from us being immigrants to Canada , am American couple were always present. Our Aussie couple also seemed to relate how well their business was going et cetra while the American couple were quiet.. When we exchanged business cards at end we discovered aside from their jobs the American couple owned a few apartment blocks or such on the West Coast ..

One never knows....

Least we have our QM2 coming up in July and I would suspect everything will be shipshape with special events planned for the 175th celebrations/

Cheers / Rob

Edited by Robbar

Our last long cruise a few years ago (dare I day :) ) was on Dawn Princess for 28 days around Australia, day in Bali and an overnight in Hobart which reminded us of our local city here. We saw family in Perth that my wife had not seen for eons , after leaving Barbados. The plane was a 16 hours direct which worked out well on a B777-200 so I bought the seating beside one of the exit doors , gave us lost of room aside from my wife waking up to see some fellow doing stretches in front of her .

That cruise was where she had just completed her world cruise and we discovered folks continuing onto our segment then continuing after to New Zealand and the islands.

One wishes... :)

Course the majority were Australia and New Zealand and yes we ran into the ones who were very impolite and felt the world revolved around them but all in all it was a fun cruise. Our table ended up with one couple who never appeared, another who came every odd night and a great Aussie couple who kept us in laughter and information. The funny part was aside from us being immigrants to Canada , am American couple were always present. Our Aussie couple also seemed to relate how well their business was going et cetra while the American couple were quiet.. When we exchanged business cards at end we discovered aside from their jobs the American couple owned a few apartment blocks or such on the West Coast ..

One never knows....

Least we have our QM2 coming up in July and I would suspect everything will be shipshape with special events planned for the 175th celebrations/

Cheers / Rob

Great story!!

Half the fun is meeting others and then slowly finding out more and more over the course of the trip!

One of my main positives about traveling Cunard is the people you have the opportunity to meet and interesting stories they have to tell!

Similar story from me MM when we sailed from Los Angeles in 2009 heading for Sydney.

Roughly 800 British passengers disembarked having sailed with us all the way around South America.

11725506305_353d450180_z.jpg

Some 800 Australians embarked. It wasn't such long segment but, while the ages were all similar, there was more life onboard.

The big difference though was that there were no moaners.

We have recently disembarked from QE after completing an 18 day San Francisco to Auckland sector of QE's current World Cruise. I have heard the above stated 3rd hand before - however on this cruise I met a nice German couple who said that the entire atmosphere of QE changed for the better (for them) after San Francisco. They would not be specific about why they considered this had happened - except to stress that a large number of people had disembarked in SFO and an equally large number of people boarded the ship there.

I was just looking at some photos of QE in Sydney from the other day, she looks just as new as she did the Queen named her! She's sparkling!

What's the latest theory on when we think the QM2 is to be dry docked? Or do we actually have confirmation now? I remember a few possible dates were being thrown around on these forums before I left to meet up with her.

In the perfect world, I'd love to see ships dry docked annually! (Never going to happen these days but one can still dream)

Just spent 18 days on QE - SFO to Auckland. I thought that she was in magnificent condition inside - spotless. Her exterior hull wasn't quite so schmick though - but OK.

;)

Thanks Rob, I will definitely have to check out YouTube although I have seen many of the loner Docos available, I always seem to get suprised by one I havent :) much fun!!

We do have some extremely cheap fares for segments here in Aus, not through Cunard though, usually offered through agents. On my last voyage Hong Kong to Sydney, 10 nights. I saw as little as $1400 AUD for an inside at one stage!

I myself only paid $2300 AUD for Princess Grill (but got upgraded to Queens) so we do get some pretty good offers here but you do need to constantly check prices and know which agents to monitor.

Aussies are great fun :) and I am often told by Americans and Brits that they enjoy us onboard! But some of us are just plan feral, like said lady I spoke of haha

I have some great Aussie friends in Melbourne, Perth, Brisbane & Adelaide. Many of them I met whilst cruising over many years on Cunard. My best friend is Australian and we have been friends over 40 years. She lives in Melbourne Toorak Road South Yarra. ( Slumming it when I go there :D)

Aussies are fun people and I think Rob would have been referring to me in his previous post when he said

"One of my friends wrote recently that in her Cunard World Cruise going around Australia some of the best passengers in terms of bringing some laughter and fun to the ship were the Aussies who boarded at one port to the next for three or so days and then left."

Some were very rowdy but in a fun way. Singing in the Jacuzzi no less with a glass of beer in each hand :) It livened Mary that was for sure.

We always ask for Australian and Americans to be at the same table as we are, especially on a long cruise like world cruises. They are entertaining and as I do not live in the UK I am not used to being with British people all the time, so Australians & Americans are a fun mix.

We are friends with a travel agent who you may well deal with as he is often on QM2 escorting a groups of people . His name is Dave Oakes and his company Travel Masters is in Nerang on the Gold Coast. Do you know of this company? I mentioned Dave Oakes and his friend Mark in my book when I wrote about my world cruises. They are often on world cruise with a small group when I am on board. They were on board in 2012 when you were on for the circumnavigation of Australia.

They also were on QE on last years world cruise when we were in Australia. I like QE and I did her full world cruise last year and will be on board next year. Maybe you should try her or QV till QM2 gets her make over that she is overdue. I know how hard it is keeping up appearances as we ladies get a bit older. ;) She needs some TLC as most women do.

Regards Maggiemou

Just spent 18 days on QE - SFO to Auckland. I thought that she was in magnificent condition inside - spotless. Her exterior hull wasn't quite so schmick though - but OK.

Hi bazzaw, I am pleased you enjoyed your time on QE. I think she is in excellent condition also. I was on her at the start of her 2015 world cruise this year and she is still as good looking as she did in 2011 when I went on her maiden world voyage. I found the alterations they had made to the casino area to add single cabins really blended in and to say I spent 118 days on her the previous year I found it hard to remember how it was before the changes were so slight and easy on the eye.

She often looks to have some paint damage around the hull after an Atlantic Crossing. We did have a rough crossing but we always expect that in January and she handles it all very well indeed.

Good to hear you enjoyed your time on board.

Regards Maggiemou.

Just saw QM2 pass QV in Sydney Harbour, celebrated by a nice fireworks display. I don't care too much if Mary is showing her age - she glided gracefully out Port Jackson into the night.

It was the Cunard fix I needed right now.

Happy sailing to anyone currently on board! I cannot wait to board her in 9 months time.