Great Stirrup Cay tips

TAYLORCPA

I reserved a cabana for our upcoming trip. Is a specific Cabana assigned to you, or do you just select one when you arrive ?

You'll be assigned a specific cabana (I think based on the order in which you booked). The cabana number will be on the tickets waiting for you in your cabin on embarkation day ( as with any other shore "excursion").

Edited by Turtles06

We'll be visiting there in November. Any tips? I'm not interested in renting a cabana or doing any excursions.

Thanks!

I've read all the info on this thread and I'm still not clear on a few things. Someone said that they have clam shells at the Lagoon area, but the pics and videos don't show them. Can someone confirm because we need shade so we don't burn. There doesn't seem to be any shade from the few trees. If there are clam shells in the Lagoon area, do you order them beforehand on the ship? Does anyone know the cost?

Also if we have the beverage package, are the drinks on GSC included?

I've read all the info on this thread and I'm still not clear on a few things. Someone said that they have clam shells at the Lagoon area, but the pics and videos don't show them. Can someone confirm because we need shade so we don't burn. There doesn't seem to be any shade from the few trees. If there are clam shells in the Lagoon area, do you order them beforehand on the ship? Does anyone know the cost?

Also if we have the beverage package, are the drinks on GSC included?

Clam shells at Lagoon: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=47151039&postcount=66

More trees in between the beaches on the rocky points when going towards the lagoon. Otherwise rent a cabana, you will get a food credit, bottles of water, chips with dip etc. Getting a cabana is the best thing to do at GSC, even price wise. :)

GSC is included on UBP.

Rent a clamshell if you plan on staying several hours. They are not expensive, and on a full sun day you will appreciate the chance to retreat from the heat. If you rent a shell, try to exit the ship early. The best shells are in the first row. You have a full beach and water view in that row. Otherwise, you are looking at the back of someone else's shell with no beach view.

Rent a clamshell if you plan on staying several hours. They are not expensive, and on a full sun day you will appreciate the chance to retreat from the heat. If you rent a shell, try to exit the ship early. The best shells are in the first row. You have a full beach and water view in that row. Otherwise, you are looking at the back of someone else's shell with no beach view.

Do you reserve the clamshells ahead of time on the ship or is it first come/first served on the Island? My mom has had melanomas and doesn't want to be in the sun & I know people are saying there are plenty of shady spots but it doesn't look that way to me. I see lots of open beach. I also don't have $419 for a small cabana either.

Question:

I noticed that the wave runner is an excursion that is listed but what if my husband decides last min that he might want to try one. Are we out of luck or can he just rent one when we get to the island. Also can anyone tell me if they happen to know how many people can fit in the clamshells? Can 2 adults and 2 toddlers fit? Thanks

Question:

I noticed that the wave runner is an excursion that is listed but what if my husband decides last min that he might want to try one. Are we out of luck or can he just rent one when we get to the island. Also can anyone tell me if they happen to know how many people can fit in the clamshells? Can 2 adults and 2 toddlers fit? Thanks

There is a shore excursions desk close to where the tenderboat docks. You can make "last minute" reservations for any shore excursion activities there. An example: My husband and I had booked the parasailing in advance, and both we and the crew from the boat doing the parasailing showed up about 20 min. early. We all still had to wait until the scheduled time, in case somebody else wanted to book it last minute. And one person ended up joining us, who purchased the "excursion" just 5 min. before our scheduled dep. time for that particular excursion.

Do you reserve the clamshells ahead of time on the ship or is it first come/first served on the Island? My mom has had melanomas and doesn't want to be in the sun & I know people are saying there are plenty of shady spots but it doesn't look that way to me. I see lots of open beach. I also don't have $419 for a small cabana either.

Unless something has changed, you reserve them on the ship. In fact, when you board, go right to the shore excursions desk and reserve one. (Another benefit of reserving a clamshell is that you'll get an early tender ticket.)

Question:

There are two lounge chairs in the clamshell. On our last cruise, the wave runners filled up before we boarded - they have limited numbers.

There's plenty of shade, but none of it near the water. At least not when were were there in 2013.

Unless something has changed, you reserve them on the ship. In fact, when you board, go right to the shore excursions desk and reserve one. (Another benefit of reserving a clamshell is that you'll get an early tender ticket.)

Do you get an early tender ticket if you have already purchased a cabana ?

I was just there a week ago, you don't need to take the tram unless you really want to. You can walk easily about 10 minute walk. There were barely any people there. Loved the lagoon.

Agreed, I was going to say, we walked the entire Island in maybe twenty/thirty minutes at a stroll. All this talk of the tram makes it sound like a bigger island...

Can anyone tell me what kind of activities there are for kids on GSC? Maybe a bounce slide in the water or something. Or is it just pretty much a day to lounge at the beach and play in the sand. I think I am going to reserve the wave runner for my husband and my dad so while they are doing that I wanted to know what my mom and I can do with my kids. Thanks

We'll be visiting there in November. Any tips? I'm not interested in renting a cabana or doing any excursions.

Thanks!

Clam Shells: The island offers little to no shade… so rent one of the dark blue clamshells for a private island hideaway. The clamshells along the main beach sell out fast, go to the shore excursion desk early in the cruise, reserve one, and get to the island early. IMPORTANT: on the island, a clamshell attendant will set up a clamshell for you… make sure you select one with a mesh ventilation panel… the shells made of solid canvas get hot and you may end up being a baked clam by the end of the day.

Lunch: The lunch at the Jumbey Beach Grill was great picnic food (don’t expect fine dining). Pizza, hot dogs, hamburgers, chicken, a selection of cold salads, desserts, and a tropic fruit bar. The lines at the buffet may look long, but move quickly. Covered tables next to the grill provide great views as you enjoy your picnic lunch.

Lagoon lower left, on the right is the road where the tram has three or four stops from the tender bay in the upper center.

The beach areas go, top to bottom, from crowded to less crowded to leisurely quiet at the lagoon. :)

You steered me to the best spot on the Epic for my recent cruise (heaven!), and now I am booked on the Pearl to GSC at the beginning of November, and here you are again offering advice. :)

Again, not worried about a long walk or having nearby bars or attendants constantly checking on me--I'm all about a nice private spot to lounge for the day. I'm good with no shade because I actually have a medical need for sunshine (that sounds a lot better than reality given the symptoms, especially when you're from Michigan, lol!).

So, if anyone who's been to GSC could help me out with the following questions, I'd really appreciate it (and apologies to hijacking the OP).

If I sleep in a bit (maybe until 8 or 9?), can I still have a leisurely day at the lagoon with my pick of spots and some privacy? It seems like it based on the comments here, but I'm a planner, so I like specifics. :) Or if I sleep in that late does it mean I'm pretty much at the mercy of an insanely long line for the tender? And if I decide to spontaneously standup paddleboard (which is almost a given), can I do that? Or do I need to I book the SUP excursion? And if I do book the excursion, will I get a set-in-stone tender time I have to honor?

So sorry for all the questions! After my port-intensive, shore-excursion-booked-every-day-mustering-insanely-early recent cruise, I'd like a much more relaxed freestyle cruise this next time, but I also don't want to miss out on what I want to do, either. Thanks in advance for any answers from those in the know!

I have done lots of searches in the Ports of Call forum for the Bahamas for answers to these questions, and have found nothing, so I appreciate this thread.

Edited by piper45maru