Everything Jewel Of The Seas Thread

Lately, I've seen a lot of posts of people looking for info on Jewel. I've seen "everything" threads for other ships and thought... why not start one for Jewel? I'm looking forward to my upcoming Jewel cruise and thought it might be nice to have one place for people to get their info on Jewel. Post away! :D

Just got off her 4 weeks ago so ask away. She isn't totally refurbed yet not sure when she is scheduled...there is a list somewhere.

Great crew! We were the ship that had 120 mph winds and 50 foot seas out of Boston. Great captain...went 1000 miles out of the way to stay ahead of the worst part....!

Lou

Lately, I've seen a lot of posts of people looking for info on Jewel. I've seen "everything" threads for other ships and thought... why not start one for Jewel? I'm looking forward to my upcoming Jewel cruise and thought it might be nice to have one place for people to get their info on Jewel. Post away! :D

Great idea! I'll be on the Jewel in January and am loving all the great info I have been reading.:)

Just got off her 4 weeks ago so ask away. She isn't totally refurbed yet not sure when she is scheduled...there is a list somewhere.

Great crew! We were the ship that had 120 mph winds and 50 foot seas out of Boston. Great captain...went 1000 miles out of the way to stay ahead of the worst part....!

Lou

Glad to hear you had a good cruise! You said she isn't totally refurbished yet - does that mean there are still the old style tv's in the cabins?

Glad to see this thread. We've done Radiance twice since she came to Tampa and currently have Jewel booked for Jan. Really like this class of ship and the convienence of having them ported less than and hour from our front door.

1) old TV's at this time...after dry dock should be upgraded

2) Seaview is somewhere different to go and has such things as Chicken Fingers and Wings, Tuna Melt Sandwiches, Reuben Sandwiches, Cuban Sandwiches, burgers, dogs, and such....can sit outside some tables inside.....and some desserts. Milk shakes can be purchased as well as beer and such.

nice to go there when been at the pool and want to go grab lunch...don't forget the Solarium Cafe has food also at lunch times and other times

Lou

Can someone please explain the rave of the Seaview Cafe? Is the food so much better than in the WJ, or is it that they offer different variety? I'm definitely looking forward to experiencing it, as I keep reading how great it is!

Personally, I don't think the food is much better than the Windjammer. It is a quieter venue, food is made to order for the most part, and it is convenient to the pool. Nice for a change, but again food is good, not spectacular. Enjoy your cruise!:)

The main reason we have booked a cruise on the Jewel (2/27/12) is because of the Seaview Cafe. It has a limited menu of very tasty food, you order it when you first come in then go sit and the food is delivered quickly. We like the hours it is open and is hardly ever crowded. Very casual and relaxing. The raves are well justified...

We love the Seaview because it is actually a change from the Windjammer. We often ate lunch later and the MDR would be closed and Seaview gave us a nice option from WJ.

I also felt that the captain (James McDonald) was great; very personable and friendly. His enthusiasm and positive attitude trickled down to the crew and they were all really great.

Loved the outdoor eating area in the back of the WJ, but Jewel may lose this nice feature if they go through the same modifications as Radiance.:(

Jewell is my favorite ship but I liked all of the Radiance class.

Jewel was wonderful last week. Not sure about the rest of the ship, but Grand Suite 1600 had flat screen tv. Seaview cafe has sandwiches that aren't available in the windjammer, and crispy onion rings like at Johnny Rocket's, but they are free! Wireless internet was very sporadic, but the internet stations around the ship were working. Staff around the ship were consistantly cheerful and helpful. We really enjoyed the Jewel of the Seas.

Jewel was wonderful last week. Not sure about the rest of the ship, but Grand Suite 1600 had flat screen tv. Seaview cafe has sandwiches that aren't available in the windjammer, and crispy onion rings like at Johnny Rocket's, but they are free! Wireless internet was very sporadic, but the internet stations around the ship were working. Staff around the ship were consistantly cheerful and helpful. We really enjoyed the Jewel of the Seas.

Jewel is one of my favorite ships and we also stayed in GS1600 last year to celebrate our 20th anniversay on a Scandanavia/Russia cruise.

The crew is exceptional especially Clo, cruise director, and Nedere, concierge. The outdoor windjammer seating is awesome.

Glad you started this, I'm considering one of the last 4 days out of Tampa this spring. Probably won't book till after Christmas. I'll be debating flying or driving. Its almost exactly 1000 miles from my door to downtown Tampa. How expensive/convenient is port parking?

Glad you started this, I'm considering one of the last 4 days out of Tampa this spring. Probably won't book till after Christmas. I'll be debating flying or driving. Its almost exactly 1000 miles from my door to downtown Tampa. How expensive/convenient is port parking?

parking is now 15 a day (Increase on oct 1) for a couple of bucks more a day they have valet.. the parking garage is very convenient (But the valet brings your car right to the curb )

Also if driving down you might look for a hotel that offers a package deal with parking and shuttles.

I have the jewel booked for jan,feb and march love the Port of tampa

Rick

(PS we lived in Hilliard for 3 years loved Columbus but way to cold for a florida native)

We paid $80 for valet parking on our 4 night cruise. Tampa is so easy to get in and out! Valet took our car at the curb where we checked our luggage, and had it back to the curb after the cruise in about 5 minutes!

There are other parking options. See the Florida ports board. If you're coming the day before there are hotel/parking/shuttle combo options that are your best deal.

I sure wish the other ports offered the valet service. It's a couple bucks more but at the end of a wonderful cruise where your every wish has been granted, it's nice to stretch out that feeling for a little longer. It's not that I'm lazy...it's because I like to be spoiled. :p

On another topic, have they installed a dimond lounge in the Hollywood lounge on deck 14? I heard that something like that was going to happen but wasn't sure.

There are other parking options. See the Florida ports board. If you're coming the day before there are hotel/parking/shuttle combo options that are your best deal.

I'll do that, will weigh the options of driving/flying. Haven't flown from here to Tampa in years. 1000 miles in a car that gets 20mpg (conservative # using $4 per gallon might be reasonable for estimation. If we did drive we would drive most of the way there, leaving just a short drive in the morning. Can someone provide a nearby street address of the port/port parking so I can take a look? If not, I'll figure it out this weekend.

The parking is 813 Channelside drive. Lot is just across the street from the entrance to the port We just got off The Jewel this past Monday (12/01) Perfect size ship and just the right amount of passengers. Looking forward to Sept. when we sail her again from Boston

Glad to hear you had a good cruise! You said she isn't totally refurbished yet - does that mean there are still the old style tv's in the cabins?

Yes they haven't replaced the old TVs but the ones in our rooms have always worked well and haven't been a problem. At the present time the Jewel is not on the list indicating when the various ships are due to be "revitalized". Most of the information I have heard from staff on the Jewel indicates that since Jewel was the last Radiance ship to be built, she will be the last to be "revitalized". I don't expect it to happen for a couple of years at the very earliest.:)

There is no Diamond Lounge on Jewel, only a nightly Diamond event which is held either in the Hollywood Odyssey or the Viking Crown Lounge, depending on the number of Diamond Plus, Pinnacle and suite guests onboard. (if there is a large number of D+, Pinnacle and suite guests, the Hollywood Odyssey is used as a satellite Concierge lounge). No Diamond lounge is likely to be added until the ship undergoes the type of refurbishment that was done to Radiance last Spring.

Archived