Weather Concerns? what to do?

mrak

I have been fortunate enough to take 9 Caribbean cruises and only experience one truly bad weather day. It's looking like my luck may have run out (hopefully not). Me and 7 friends are on the Valor next week going to Cozumel, Costa Maya, Belize and Roatan and the weather forecast looks pretty bad for ALL of the ports. So I'm wondering, what does everyone do on rainy days? Also, what activities might you recommend in those ports as a backup plan if our excursions get rained out?

Liquid sunshine....nothing better in the Caribbean. It'll still be 80degrees. Some of the funnest excursions I have been on I have ended up soaking wet and loved every minute.

That's what we are thinking, but they are predicting thunderstorms which might cause a problem with excursions. I'm fine with getting rained on!

I agree with Sweet Dutch Girl. When DH and I were in Cozumel last year it started raining in the afternoon. There were so many people grumbling about the weather but we had a blast! We were on a scooter when it started but were headed to take it back. Had to stop and get gas in it first though and we got soaked! People were huddled in the shopping area you have to pass through just watching the heavy rain. We walked right out and enjoyed the wind and rain all the way to the ship. It is what you make of it :cool:

I agree with Sweet Dutch Girl. When DH and I were in Cozumel last year it started raining in the afternoon. There were so many people grumbling about the weather but we had a blast! We were on a scooter when it started but were headed to take it back. Had to stop and get gas in it first though and we got soaked! People were huddled in the shopping area you have to pass through just watching the heavy rain. We walked right out and enjoyed the wind and rain all the way to the ship. It is what you make of it :cool:

We aren't so concerned about getting rained on. Apologies, I should have been more clear. We are just concerned that our excursions might get cancelled (Cave tubing in Belize and Little French Key in Roatan) if they are having bad lightning. I dont really know of any indoor type activities in those two countries.

In the tropics there is a chance of thunderstorms almost every day...but fortunately they won't happen every day and don't last long. don't even concern yourself with it.

Perhaps the best reply on this thread. At certain times of year, that's always the forecast!

Yeah, ya' get some of rain in the afternoon, and then that's it.

This question / concern has been asked scores of times here, and the answers are usually about the same.

Forget about it and enjoy your cruise!:)

Living in the south we get used to these afternoon thunderstorms, they generally move fast. they do make it more humid so be prepared, pack a poncho, maybe a dry shirt and be ready to make your day memorable.

LOL I'm a Floridian so I know that an 80% chance of rain often means a 3 minute sun shower in the afternoon. I am just really looking for alternatives to our excursions, specifically in Belize and Roatan, if we end up with thunderstorms. Maybe I should edit my initial post.

I have been fortunate enough to take 9 Caribbean cruises and only experience one truly bad weather day. It's looking like my luck may have run out (hopefully not). Me and 7 friends are on the Valor next week going to Cozumel, Costa Maya, Belize and Roatan and the weather forecast looks pretty bad for ALL of the ports. So I'm wondering, what does everyone do on rainy days? Also, what activities might you recommend in those ports as a backup plan if our excursions get rained out?

While it's great that you are looking for rainy day options now, you very well may have nice weather despite what the forecast is currently saying. I left on a cruise a couple weeks ago, and the weather report a week out showed rain and thunderstorms for every port (the cruise was right about the time of Hurricane Patricia, so since it was a Western Caribbean cruise, there was some remnants of that storm to deal with). We ended up having beautiful weather in every port. Just some thundershowers that started as we were heading back to the ship at the first port. So you just never know. Anyway, good luck, and I hope it works out for you!

Edited by bakersdozen12

A few days before our recent Breeze cruise to the Southern Caribbean, the weather forecast for ALL of our ports was showing high changes of rain or storms. The only rain we ended up seeing was in Miami when we arrived. By the time we went to dinner that evening at Bayside, it was clear skies. Every port was hot and sunny!

Misty

Keep in mind that when you see the weather forecast on TV, hear it on the radio, or read about it somewhere, it is a "best guess" based on current conditions, and those conditions can easily change in just a few hours. By the time you and your friends actually begin your cruise, the weather will probably be totally different from the current forecast (possibly even perfect). Pack a rain poncho or compact umbrella if you want to play it safe. As a backup plan for a rainy day in port, why not just "wing it"? Find a bar or café with some outdoor awning covered tables and have a cold beverage. Browse through a few shops. Make it a "do nothing special" day. Sometimes an unplanned day can be just as good as a planned day.

We aren't so concerned about getting rained on. Apologies, I should have been more clear. We are just concerned that our excursions might get cancelled (Cave tubing in Belize and Little French Key in Roatan) if they are having bad lightning. I dont really know of any indoor type activities in those two countries.

Ohhhhh, sorry I misunderstood. When we visited Belize it had rained quite a bit. We went planned to zipline and others on our bus were cave tubing. Unfortunately, once we got to the site it was determined that the water was too high for them to safely gets through the caves so they had to sit around and wait for the zipline folks...or join us.

All but one of my previous cruises have been to the Caribbean and the only port that we've even had an all day rain out happened to have been at Key West in FLA!

Don't worry about rain forecasts in the Caribbean; that is pretty much the norm but it's rarely more than a passing shower.

Are the excursions booked with the ship?

If they are and are cancelled by the ship, there are decent fun bars in all of these ports. :D