Putting something on cabin door. Tape or magnet?

bryanjaync

I am not one for decorating cabin doors, but to each his/her own. But we are taking my 88 year old parents on the Reflection, and I think something on their door may make it easier for them to recognize their cabin. Maybe a picture of a dog or something cute like that. Is it allowed? If so, tape or magnets clip things? Thanks

Absolutely great idea. All those doors do look the same. Have seen lots of things put on the doors. Usually taped but lots of magnets too. Would suggest making it easy and simply as the cabin steward to put it up and explain the reason. The can do it in a jiffy.

Good idea. Here is another, somewhat related tip that we got from a cruise critic member for our last trip. Take magnetic squeeze-type clips as the doors and walls are metal. They are great for holding coupons, daily notices etc. and make it so easy to find items.

Bill

Good idea. Here is another, somewhat related tip that we got from a cruise critic member for our last trip. Take magnetic squeeze-type clips as the doors and walls are metal. They are great for holding coupons, daily notices etc. and make it so easy to find items.

Bill

We always carry lots of magnets. I hang my necklaces up on the walls and it makes it fun to select jewelry for the evening and kind of brightens up the cabin. We also order the small car door magnets from vistaprint and personalize them for most cruises and put them on the door.

image.jpg.1c05376c31356eb423a8dd27408e154f.jpg

Edited by Vol fan

Decorating the door is an excellent idea. It really helped when we took our elderly parents on cruises. I would suggest something big and festive.

I bring Command Hooks on all of our cruises and we use them for many different reasons. Decorations are one of the reasons. I also put a Command Hook inside the door and that is where we hang our lanyards with our seapass cards on them. That way every time we leave the room we see our seapass cards hanging right there and we never forget them.

Here's an example of Command Hooks you can check out.

LOL! I mentioned this thread to my 93 year old aunt, and she indignantly replied that she would find it insulting if anyone were to suggest that she needs some kind of childish door decoration to help find her cabin.

After all, she remarked, the cabin numbers are not randomly distributed but they go in order, and she can still count and read numbers.

There are some people in their 20s, 30s and 40s who are more likely to need door decorations to find their cabin, especially when they have been drinking heavily. ;)

I still remember one young man who actually walked the entire length of the ship on deck 7 to the very back looking for his cabin, without even noticing that the numbers kept getting higher and higher.

It turned out that he had a very low cabin number up near the front of the ship. :D

If he had been sober, or at least paying attention, simply by glancing at any 2 adjacent cabin numbers he could have known that he was going the wrong way.

LOL! I mentioned this thread to my 93 year old aunt, and she indignantly replied that she would find it insulting if anyone were to suggest that she needs some kind of childish door decoration to help find her cabin....

I'm happy that your Aunt is in good health and able to find her way around a large ship without any help. Our situation with my parents was quite different. On our last cruise with my parents (both deceased now 3 and 2 years) several years ago my father had Alzheimer's and my mother had macular degeneration. Even with a pretty decorated door and a cabin that was right next to the elevators they had some minor issues finding their way to their cabin. One day I found them strolling down a hallway on the wrong deck. They weren't panicked and when I approached them they said they knew someone would come and find them or they would figure it out themselves eventually. They were having a lovely walk. :)

As with any accessibility help, whether it's large print books or a cane/walker, some people will need it and some won't. The first time we put a decoration on a cabin door for my parents my father said, "I should be able to that!" He was grateful for the help.

All the doors and walls are metal on the ship....I use several clip type magnets on the inside walls to hold our shore excursion info, invitations, etc. keeps them organized and easy to find.

I always decorate our door with cruise itinerary items or with holiday decorations if applicable. I use magnets and/or blue painters tape folded over. Comes off easily and leaves no residue. I love seeing peoples doors..cheerful, original ideas and always get comments as people walk by, that they like it and wish they had thought of it, and it does make you cabin easy to spot. I have "lost" a few things off the door..especially with lots of kids on the ship...so don't put anything you can't afford to lose on the outside.

Enjoy...you are on vacation.

All the doors and walls are metal on the ship....I use several clip type magnets on the inside walls to hold our shore excursion info, invitations, etc. keeps them organized and easy to find.

I always decorate our door with cruise itinerary items or with holiday decorations if applicable. I use magnets and/or blue painters tape folded over. Comes off easily and leaves no residue. I love seeing peoples doors..cheerful, original ideas and always get comments as people walk by, that they like it and wish they had thought of it, and it does make you cabin easy to spot. I have "lost" a few things off the door..especially with lots of kids on the ship...so don't put anything you can't afford to lose on the outside.

Enjoy...you are on vacation.

Once I saw a group of three adult women, clearly drunk, taking decorations off doors as they walked down the hall in front of me. I told them that it was rude and they laughed at me. It's not just kids doing destructive things, but they do get the blame.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk