Very few people on our roll call,,,why?

KYFLOHgal

I forgot my other pet peeve that was just mentioned. Those that have sailed together and are "good friends". They make the newbie not want to bother since what is the point. You are already excluded. Like being in the 3rd grade. In the past one it was all the Arizona people. What? You aren't from Arizona.....ooohhhh.

Hi Bob, nice to hear from you. How is Jane?

Jane is great. How are your grandkids? Did you fix the house yet?

Great another 6 people from our last cruise is joining us!

Yea, maybe we can plan some tours together.

The newbie is excluded already and in no way wants to join the conversation midway. They don't know you, your dog or did the field trip you had with your other friends.

I have over the years looked at a few roll calls. I wanted to get some ideas on the ports and what others think of some excursions. However, comments like the above or comments like hey we've filled all 24 spots except we have room for 4 more. Now the tour has been discussed somewhere privately and not on the roll call so you really still don't know much about the excursion. These roll calls are a total turn off. No consideration is given to the new roll call person. Only the clique already formed.

In all the roll calls that I've checked out not once did I learn one single thing about excursions or the ports. I've learned it all on the specific port threads.

I will say our last cruise had a M&G and the person that organized it put a lot of time and trouble into it. Sorry, I don't remember her name. We sat around. Had a drink. Chatted awkwardly with each other and left. Still the effort was appreciated.

Never has been my experiences.

It may reflect more on the excluded person than the group to why someone was not part of the fun.

We sat in MDR and on the rare occassion we sat next to a less than plesant person(s) we made the effort to avoid them. Perhaps a polite wave if we passed them by on the ship but never stopping to engage them further.

Many sides to an equation IMHO.

I have participated in roll calls that became very active with so many enthusiastic members that they grew so long that CC split them into 2 parts!!

Most are at least moderately active.

I have been on a few that are real duds with almost no activity and low membership.

IMO, it's just the luck of the draw.

I forgot my other pet peeve that was just mentioned. Those that have sailed together and are "good friends". They make the newbie not want to bother since what is the point. You are already excluded. Like being in the 3rd grade. In the past one it was all the Arizona people. What? You aren't from Arizona.....ooohhhh.

Hi Bob, nice to hear from you. How is Jane?

Jane is great. How are your grandkids? Did you fix the house yet?

Great another 6 people from our last cruise is joining us!

Yea, maybe we can plan some tours together.

The newbie is excluded already and in no way wants to join the conversation midway. They don't know you, your dog or did the field trip you had with your other friends.

I have over the years looked at a few roll calls. I wanted to get some ideas on the ports and what others think of some excursions. However, comments like the above or comments like hey we've filled all 24 spots except we have room for 4 more. Now the tour has been discussed somewhere privately and not on the roll call so you really still don't know much about the excursion. These roll calls are a total turn off. No consideration is given to the new roll call person. Only the clique already formed.

In all the roll calls that I've checked out not once did I learn one single thing about excursions or the ports. I've learned it all on the specific port threads.

I will say our last cruise had a M&G and the person that organized it put a lot of time and trouble into it. Sorry, I don't remember her name. We sat around. Had a drink. Chatted awkwardly with each other and left. Still the effort was appreciated.

That has not been my experience, either....

Every roll call that I have participated in, the members were very welcoming, and especially so to 'newbies'...

And as far as 'knowing' people ....that is the point of a roll call....to get to know your fellow cruiser's that you may never have met before, sometimes developing a friendship, and then the fun of getting to match the screen names with the actual person when meeting for the first times at the meet and mingle's event.

And even though I may actually have sailed with other's previously, I still like to make new acquaintance's with folk's that I haven't...

In addition, I have seen much sharing of 'inside' information and tips about features of the ship, about good shore excursions, and other useful help for newbies...

Never has been my experiences.

It may reflect more on the excluded person than the group to why someone was not part of the fun.

We sat in MDR and on the rare occassion we sat next to a less than plesant person(s) we made the effort to avoid them. Perhaps a polite wave if we passed them by on the ship but never stopping to engage them further.

Many sides to an equation IMHO.

Well, it is kind of hard to be an unpleasant person issue when they have been excluded before they have even signed up or they have tried one or two posts. It isn't like newbies come on to the roll call and say "listen b****, I want to join your tour". Usually the are timid to give it a try and once shunned don't want to try again. The Arizona people one that I mentioned: they all starting talking by email once they knew who was sailing. How do I know? They told everyone that they would connect by email. Once a few of them dropped out they started talking back on CC. They were on the ones that set up the M&G I went to and everyone was pleasant. My guess is they had no idea that they were excluding people.

I also sounds like you might be in the group to chat amongst yourselves and decide who is pleasant enough to join. Don't get me wrong. I have heard horror stories (that I believe) about people demanding to know cabin numbers, names and ruled with an iron hand, telling you what you can and can't do BUT I'm talking the initial contact. You are talking down the road.

And as far as 'knowing' people ....that is the point of a roll call....to get to know your fellow cruiser's that you may never have met before, sometimes developing a friendship, and then the fun of getting to match the screen names with the actual person when meeting for the first times at the meet and mingle's event.

And even though I may actually have sailed with other's previously, I still like to make new acquaintance's with folk's that I haven't...

In addition, I have seen much sharing of 'inside' information and tips about features of the ship, about good shore excursions, and other useful help for newbies...

Of course that is the idea. I'm just saying sometimes people don't realize that they are excluding the less then experienced CC user or cruise person.

We, of course, were on different sailings with different people so your experience clearly differs from mine. I'm giving the opposite point of view from what you had.

Another example. I joined a roll call that, for us, started in LA and ended in Vancouver. However, a group started in Ft Lauderdale. The on board people set up a M&G for when we came on board. THEY set it up. Meet at so and so place. About 20 of us had signed up for this portion. Well, I went and found no one. We had another one set for the next day to get together for a drink. Again, no show. So I came back on the roll call after we got home. Not just me but about 4 others said, what happened? Finally the guy who set it up said, well we got to know the people that started in Ft Lauderdale so decided to blow off the LA people. Well, thanks for being inconsiderate and wasting mine and the others time.

I'm not a newbie to CC or cruising either.

So again, YMMV.

On our last cruise, once the CC M&G organizer found enough pax for her trivia team; she was happy.

End of M&G

Others, sitting a tables out of hearing range asked: "What happened?"

Please. You have to get up and get involved.

A M&G should be more than free punch and cookies.

Edited by $hip$hape

On our last cruise, once the CC M&G organizer found enough pax for her trivia team; she was happy.

End of M&G

Others, sitting a tables out of hearing range asked: "What happened?"

Please. You have to get up and get involved.

A M&G should be more than free punch and cookies.

My point exactly. I'll re-state. I have never been on a single roll call where anyone has set up tours except for that one that was like 100 pages of "good morning", "going to the vet today". Then it was so convoluted that you couldn't figure out what was going on. Literally two pages of good morning every - single - day. I wasn't about to spend an hour going through just to find tour information.

I think that Cruise Critic is to cruising what Facebook is to social media...a great tool, but with an older clientele in general. People who cruise a lot naturally are drawn to people they know and like, and new people coming on get some information but aren't always interested in meeting up with someone who is their parents' or grandparents' age. At least that's what my 15 year old told me... apparently the idea of an M&M or poker run is right up there with a dental cleaning. People are much more virtual today.... I have embraced my inner old fogey and still like meeting people face to face. (And poker runs....love trying those new bars and drinks!)

My roll call for November is pretty quiet but I do hope it picks up. I enjoyed seeing some of the roll call members out and about last cruise! The people from the roll call who hung out though? Had cruised together and were friends. I thought it was nice they reconnect cruising a few times a year....and I knew they mainly wanted to hang out with each other. And they were still very friendly whenever we did see them. [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by widallas

Our April RC TA has a huge Roll Call and plans for cabin crawl and slots and other activities. Our 3 X cruises in June have varying degrees of small RCs.

I participate in the RCs a little, I do read what is new, but sometimes they really get carried away with inside conversations, and a new person coming on gets buried in there somewhere.

You described it accurately. When the topic becomes exclusive to some posters, it feels like you may be intruding into their conversation and it gets me to slowly shy away from participating.

It's difficult though, because people can book a cruise almost two years in advance, and this could mean that the Roll Call is started there and then.

If a cruiser then doesn't join the roll call until six months down the line for example, they have missed out on a good chunk of time where people have been getting to know each other and planning things and learning about each other.

It's certainly a disadvantage for cruisers who book a late deal, but surely if a person joins a roll call, the onus would be upon that person to get themselves involved - whether you book two years or two months in advance.

I wouldn't join a roll call just to be a wallflower - I would actively try and get involved with those who are already part of it. If I didn't want to get involved, I wouldn't join it.

It's a shame the popularity of these events are diminishing because I have met some amazing cruisers across all age ranges.

It's difficult though, because people can book a cruise almost two years in advance, and this could mean that the Roll Call is started there and then.

If a cruiser then doesn't join the roll call until six months down the line for example, they have missed out on a good chunk of time where people have been getting to know each other and planning things and learning about each other.

It's certainly a disadvantage for cruisers who book a late deal, but surely if a person joins a roll call, the onus would be upon that person to get themselves involved - whether you book two years or two months in advance.

I wouldn't join a roll call just to be a wallflower - I would actively try and get involved with those who are already part of it. If I didn't want to get involved, I wouldn't join it.

It's a shame the popularity of these events are diminishing because I have met some amazing cruisers across all age ranges.

I have joined several roll calls "late in the game", but I did take the time to read the entire thread, and then introduced myself, and became an active participant.... on my cruise this past January, I didn't book it until about two weeks prior to departure. 🙂

I have joined several roll calls "late in the game", but I did take the time to read the entire thread, and then introduced myself, and became an active participant.... on my cruise this past January, I didn't book it until about two weeks prior to departure. 🙂

100% agree.

On all of my previous cruises, the roll calls have been very active. I join and jump in, often late because I book last minute. I have never been anything but warmly welcomed. There have always been cabin crawls, trivia teams, private excursions, etc. that have been organized with overwhelming success. The sharing of ideas and suggestions have been invaluable. To me, this is the whole point of Cruise Critic. :)

100% agree.

On all of my previous cruises, the roll calls have been very active. I join and jump in, often late because I book last minute. I have never been anything but warmly welcomed. There have always been cabin crawls, trivia teams, private excursions, etc. that have been organized with overwhelming success. The sharing of ideas and suggestions have been invaluable. To me, this is the whole point of Cruise Critic. :)

Thank you for your response :)

I agree with earlier posters though, it can be somewhat intimidating to be faced with 30 pages of people who have become friends during the time the roll call has been in place but that doesn't mean that new additions would be greeted with less of a warm welcome.

You have a wonderful outlook on it :)

But what happens when you join a reasonably active roll call, introduce yourself, ask a couple of simple questions and three pages later you are still waiting for a hello?

Do you assume that you were missed by accident and try again or do you throw in the towel immediately? I would like answers to my questions or even a 'sorry can't help but have you thought.....'

Obviously I can find the answers to my questions but I really was hoping for personal observations.

But what happens when you join a reasonably active roll call, introduce yourself, ask a couple of simple questions and three pages later you are still waiting for a hello?

Do you assume that you were missed by accident and try again or do you throw in the towel immediately? I would like answers to my questions or even a 'sorry can't help but have you thought.....'

Obviously I can find the answers to my questions but I really was hoping for personal observations.

That would say more about those people than it does about you. If I didn't get a reply three pages in, they aren't the sort of people I would want to mingle with on my cruise vacation anyway. Either way, it's win-win.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

As long term cruisers and among the original posters here on CC (and on AOL, Prodigy, and Genie prior to CC days) we can offer a theory on the Roll Call question...which also applies to some Meet and Greets. We used to be very active on our Roll Calls and also participated in many Meet and Greets over our more than 100 cruises. But about 5 years ago, the nature of these events started to change, We suddenly would see Roll Calls taken over by folks that wanted to talk about their dogs and cats (dead or alive), sick relatives, name tags, gift exchanges, etc. Some of these folks would also come to Meet and Greets and try to stop any private discussions a bout independent travel (in ports), private tours, etc. We now look at our Roll Calls (where we seldom post anymore) and nearly half the posts are about "who will organize the Meet and greet," who is making name tags, dogs, cats, etc. Discussion about the actual cruise, ports, private tours, etc. are at a minimum. In a sense, the Roll Calls now seem to be an extension of social media...with little bearing on the actual cruise. And Meet and Greets are often "taken over" by a few who want to impose "rules" on what and what cannot be discussed. The last Meet and Greet we attended (on HAL) was awful. When a lady asked if anyone wanted to join their private tour in a certain port (somebody had canceled) another lady quickly shouted her down saying there "will be no discussion of any tours not run by HAL." At that point we (and quite a few others) quietly walked out of the room. (We should note that HAL no longer wants Officers or Senior Staff to attend meet and greets).

The discussion on many Roll Calls (and at Meet and Greets) has gone from the talk of cats to simply "catty" stuff. We do understand that many folks love that kind of stuff, but many others want no part of it! So when the OP asks why their Roll Call is so inactive....we suspect this is part of the reason.

Hank

As long term cruisers and among the original posters here on CC (and on AOL, Prodigy, and Genie prior to CC days) we can offer a theory on the Roll Call question...which also applies to some Meet and Greets. We used to be very active on our Roll Calls and also participated in many Meet and Greets over our more than 100 cruises. But about 5 years ago, the nature of these events started to change, We suddenly would see Roll Calls taken over by folks that wanted to talk about their dogs and cats (dead or alive), sick relatives, name tags, gift exchanges, etc. Some of these folks would also come to Meet and Greets and try to stop any private discussions a bout independent travel (in ports), private tours, etc. We now look at our Roll Calls (where we seldom post anymore) and nearly half the posts are about "who will organize the Meet and greet," who is making name tags, dogs, cats, etc. Discussion about the actual cruise, ports, private tours, etc. are at a minimum. In a sense, the Roll Calls now seem to be an extension of social media...with little bearing on the actual cruise. And Meet and Greets are often "taken over" by a few who want to impose "rules" on what and what cannot be discussed. The last Meet and Greet we attended (on HAL) was awful. When a lady asked if anyone wanted to join their private tour in a certain port (somebody had canceled) another lady quickly shouted her down saying there "will be no discussion of any tours not run by HAL." At that point we (and quite a few others) quietly walked out of the room. (We should note that HAL no longer wants Officers or Senior Staff to attend meet and greets).

The discussion on many Roll Calls (and at Meet and Greets) has gone from the talk of cats to simply "catty" stuff. We do understand that many folks love that kind of stuff, but many others want no part of it! So when the OP asks why their Roll Call is so inactive....we suspect this is part of the reason.

Hank

That is an accurate description of most Roll Calls nowadays. It now gives us little interest in actively participating in it.

My point exactly. I'll re-state. I have never been on a single roll call where anyone has set up tours except for that one that was like 100 pages of "good morning", "going to the vet today". Then it was so convoluted that you couldn't figure out what was going on. Literally two pages of good morning every - single - day. I wasn't about to spend an hour going through just to find tour information.

The roll calls I've been on are ALL about arranging shore excursions: arranging group tours I thought was the main reason for Cruise Critic? I've arranged many tours as well as joined many, all of which were successful. Added benefit is more people to chat to when out and about on the ship.

I agree some roll calls can also go so off topic with personal drivel. Just skim over it. Also that person who decides their opinion is the only right opinion.

At the M&M it used to be an unwritten courtesy to wait until the ship's officers left before discussing private tours. Obviously they know what CC does, but no reason to rub their noses in it that we prefer not to go on over priced, large group tours from the ship.

Those who join in early often do have tours arranged and full before latecomers book the cruise, but then a new round of tours starts.

But do I so miss the subject line where we could note the tour name, and then also search by tour name.

We had a very active roll call for our December cruise on a Princess ship--more than 100 people participating. The meet and greet was the largest we've ever attended. In contrast, our roll call for our cruise last month on a HAL ship was not very active. No one bothered to organize a meeting. I never met anyone on the cruise who mentioned CC.

We had a very active roll call for our December cruise on a Princess ship--more than 100 people participating. The meet and greet was the largest we've ever attended. In contrast, our roll call for our cruise last month on a HAL ship was not very active. No one bothered to organize a meeting. I never met anyone on the cruise who mentioned CC.

Have to agree here that roll calls and M&M's are a crap shoot! The largest M&M and roll call that I was ever involved with was a S.E. Asia cruise on Celebrity. Part of that was possibly because so many private tours were arranged - I headed up five tours myself. Celebrity also makes a big deal out of M&M's and they actually monitor CC with regards to concerns, questions, and complaints.

The other thing that must be considered, perhaps, is the size of the ship. In late August 2017 I'll be aboard Windstar Spirit with only 120 passengers. I actually started a roll call for the cruise and to date, there has been ONE response, from someone who isn't even on the cruise on the same date!

I think a number of us use roll calls primarily to find private tours that are seeking additional others to go along, or information that some might have about the ship itself that they have cruised on before. I'm guessing that at all the M&M's I've ever attended I probably only have sat and talked, at length, with maybe 4-5 others during the whole event, especially if there are a lot of fellow passengers there. Of course there are M&M's that are well organized and everyone introduces themselves and other M&M's where everyone seemed to walk around for 15 minutes and then leave.

The roll calls I've been on are ALL about arranging shore excursions: arranging group tours I thought was the main reason for Cruise Critic? I've arranged many tours as well as joined many, all of which were successful. Added benefit is more people to chat to when out and about on the ship.

I agree some roll calls can also go so off topic with personal drivel. Just skim over it. Also that person who decides their opinion is the only right opinion.

At the M&M it used to be an unwritten courtesy to wait until the ship's officers left before discussing private tours. Obviously they know what CC does, but no reason to rub their noses in it that we prefer not to go on over priced, large group tours from the ship.

Those who join in early often do have tours arranged and full before latecomers book the cruise, but then a new round of tours starts.

But do I so miss the subject line where we could note the tour name, and then also search by tour name.

I'm sure a lot of you will remember a very active favorite poster "Toto to Kansas". She was a helpful poster and had great incites with her experiences. Well, she organized some tours and there were a few people that got out of line. But one person stalked her. The person was too busy to come to the M&G to discuss tours but had the nerve to call her cabin late at night, knock on her door etc. Since then we have not heard from Toto again.

Now that I think about it, there was another M&G I participated in. The lady that arranged it put A LOT of work into it. She made name tags that showed your CC name and your real first name. She had beads so you could wear it for the first informal get together for sail away drinks. Then we had the regular. People said hello the entire cruise. That one was awesome.

I have come to rely heavily on the individual ports. I get tons of info there. I often tell people (when they realize I'm obsessed with CC) that the most awesome part is you can ask for ABC hair coloring after you land at X airport heading to the port. Someone will come on and tell you exactly where to buy it and how, like if you are taking a taxi.

Edited by notentirelynormal

Hank

I too am not a big poster on CC but I do find it a good way to get inexpensive tours and information on the ports. I too do not want to hear thst someone has finished packing, I'll just assume you were smart enough to do that.

While I agree that roll calls should be kept relevant to common areas of interest regarding the cruise, exchanging of tips on the ship, and ports of call, etc.

I don't think there is anything wrong with a little light banter about preparing for the cruise....it is just sharing ones excitement about the upcoming cruise...just as long as it is somehow relevant to the cruise, and not just a chat room for personal events....