what do you wish you had known prior ... alaska cruise on eurodam with preschoolers

happysiera

hello!

we are traveling to alaska with family in a few weeks for my in-laws anniversary ... although, i have read numerous threads, blogs, articles, etc, i can't help with wanting to be prepared, especially with kiddos ... perhaps you could help with a few questions and curiosities? (many thanks in advance!)

-what do you wish you would have known before taking an alaska cruise?

-if you had kids in the 3-7 age group at club hal, did they enjoy it? the pictures i have seen do not show much more than some screens and small tables for coloring ...

-are the in-room movies available on demand or do certain movies show only at certain times of day?

-how easy do the sliding glass doors to the balconies lock/open?

-after dinner, are there any public areas on the eurodam, in particular, that would be open to groups who want to play cards or do a puzzle with minors?

-what are your favorite ways to keep kids occupied in the main dining room during dinner? (yes, we go out to eat, but rarely do our dining experiences last as long as formal dinners ... just figured it would be worth asking for any tried and true suggestions :))

-we don't really have much budget for excursions for a family of 4, but it's also hard to say if we would ever go back to alaska ... favorite family-friendly activities in juneau, sitka or ketchikan? (currently considering a shuttle to mendenhall glacier, the tram, and lumberjack show)

thanks for reading and any insight you could provide!

I don't have kids and did princess so can't help there. I don't know that they would get a lot from mendenhal-- the salmon spawning may be fun in juneau, but it's part of a stop not a tour in itself. Definitely recommend the lumberjack show for them.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hi. We had a lot of children in that age range on our Eurodam cruise and they were really enjoying the lido pool in fact it was my husband and I and the families with children who used the pool on most days. lol

The balcony door isn't a slider. It's a regular all glass door and it does have a key to lock it. I would keep it locked if I had kiddos with me. I'm sure you will it's just the grandma in me speaking. [emoji6]

The in room movies work like On Demand.

Up in The Crows Nest there is an area with board games, books and puzzles. You can play cards in there for sure.

The dining room was at least an hour and a half plus dining time the 4 nights we ate there.

The Lido Market is quicker and they do offer some of the same menu items in the evening if you want to switch it up a little. (Sometimes we adults even get antsy waiting in the dining room)[emoji4]

We did all sight seeing on our own. We felt the ship's excursions that we were interested in were pricey so we saved quite a bit of money waiting and purchasing through tour companies in port.

The Mendenhall glacier is cool and Nugget Falls is also there which is a large roaring water fall. We took a shuttle there and it's free admission at the glacier. We paid $30 pp round trip for the shuttle. We never did see the blue city bus line that people on cc told us about but we did ask about it at the info center and the lady said it drops you off over a mile from the entrance to the park and that it was about the same price.

So the shuttle seemed like the better option. The booths selling tickets are right at the dock.

In Sitka we purchased a shuttle to the Bear Sanctuary and Raptor Center. We ended up just doing the Bear center place which I loved. I think your kids would too. The shuttle tickets can be purchased at the visitor center in town. The company is Sitka Tours. They just provide the transportation. You pay admission when you arrive. Bear place was $10pp and kids were less but can't remember the price, sorry. There were dozens of bald eagles flying around...the bear people threw food to them and they swoop down and catch it mid air. It was an experience to watch that.

Ketchikan we just shopped because the weather was very rainy and we didn't have much time in that port.

If I can help answer anything else let me know.

We had a great time...I hope you do too!

My kids were 10 and 6 on our Alaska cruise. We were on the westerdam and loved it. Both of the kids loved the kids club. Every night you will get the schedule for the next day. The activities change often and they keep them busy.

On the glacier bay day they bring on two rangers and one talks to the kids. We too were with my in laws.

We did whale watching in Juneau which was fun but did get boring after awhile. In Sitka we did the bears, and eagle refuge which was neat, but not sure I would do it with younger kids. In Ketchikan we did the fishing boat tour which was awesome. My daughter still talks about it.

We all loved Alaska and want to go back someday

Mine are 10 and 6 for northbound Noordam in less than two weeks :) We always take a few travel games anyway on cruises and have some good family time. Hoping to catch great scenery again (will be first Alaska cruise for the kids). We are also planning to do Nugget Falls as that happens to be the day of my youngest turning 7.

There is a nature trail at the Mendenhall glacier (on the left side) that should be an easy walk for the kids, neat for looking in the trees for birds and critters.

Styles27 recommendation for Sitka is good, there is a nature trail with totems there too but would be boring for the littlest ones.

Can't go wrong with the Lumberjack show in Ketchikan, fun for most ages. Sit close to the front so the Lumberjacks can see your three year old, they might even pick him/her for one of their homemade treasures.

Our daughter was eight when she started going to the kids club, they keep the kids busy and you'll get to see all the activities the night before as stated.

Have a great time

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

hello!

we are traveling to alaska with family in a few weeks for my in-laws anniversary ... although, i have read numerous threads, blogs, articles, etc, i can't help with wanting to be prepared, especially with kiddos ... perhaps you could help with a few questions and curiosities? (many thanks in advance!)

-what do you wish you would have known before taking an alaska cruise? Can't think of anything specific...

-if you had kids in the 3-7 age group at club hal, did they enjoy it? the pictures i have seen do not show much more than some screens and small tables for coloring ... They have to be potty trained. Our 4.5 year was 95% trained (He couldn't get his pants down & had an accident.) After 3 accidents, he was not allowed to return.

-are the in-room movies available on demand or do certain movies show only at certain times of day? (Did not apply to us.)

-how easy do the sliding glass doors to the balconies lock/open? (Did not apply to us.)

-after dinner, are there any public areas on the eurodam, in particular, that would be open to groups who want to play cards or do a puzzle with minors?

-what are your favorite ways to keep kids occupied in the main dining room during dinner? (yes, we go out to eat, but rarely do our dining experiences last as long as formal dinners ... just figured it would be worth asking for any tried and true suggestions :)) When my son acted up, my husband took him to the room & I brought the dinners to them... Bring markers/crayons - it was hit & miss as to whether or not they were provided. I do recall kid friendly menu coloring books or place mats.

-we don't really have much budget for excursions for a family of 4, but it's also hard to say if we would ever go back to alaska ... favorite family-friendly activities in juneau, sitka or ketchikan? (currently considering a shuttle to mendenhall glacier, the tram, and lumberjack show)

On our previous cruise we went to Skagway instead of Sitka. In Juneau we went to Mendenhall, In Ketchikan we took him to a park & the library. We will be in Sitka in July & plan to go to the Science Center & NPS, but you might be interested in the Raptor Center or Bear Sanctuary...

thanks for reading and any insight you could provide!

Our son has been on several cruises with different lines & enjoyed all of them! Don't bring too much stuff to "occupy their time," My son was happy with looking out the windows, walking round the ship - the kind of stuff that we would have been doing anyway.

A few suggestions for making dinner faster. If you can get early fixed dining, you'll have the same waiters every night and they will get to know your family and understand that kids can be bored with a long wait. They'll try their best to expedite your service. You can make things go more quickly if you arrive at the opening time and get your order in quickly. I think the day's menus are now on the electronic in-house (free) Navigator site, so you can think about dinner choices before you go in, which will make ordering even faster.

For that age a visit to DIPAC in Juneau comes to mind really fast. Douglas Island Pink and Chum is a salmon hatchery with a visitor center that includes "touch tanks" as they say "for kids, and brave adults." The cost is very reasonable ($5 adult, $3 kids) but the logistics of getting there can be difficult although it is on the way to/from Mendenhall. Taxi or renting a car are the easiest but city bus is also an option.

DIPAC (link)

100422Seaweek01.jpg?format=500w

Club HAL does an amazing job of keeping kids happy and engaged.

Regarding dinner, the MDR might be too much for them if they are not used to dining in restaurants that serve on a leisurely schedule. We did not take books and crayons (and definitely not electronic devices) when we took our son along. We engaged him in conversation and he was fine. If it proves challenging for your kids, you can order the exact same meals from the MDR for room service. Also, they might enjoy the buffet and its relaxing atmosphere more.

. . . We did not take books and crayons (and definitely not electronic devices) when we took our son along. We engaged him in conversation and he was fine. . .

Us as well. We did Celebrity for a 15-night Panama Canal FL to CA, and left those things back in the room at dinner. Excellent time to practice social etiquette (ages 10 and 6).

Last year we went on the Amsterdam for 7 days. Me, my mother, and my four kids. They were 14, 11, and 7 year old twins. My younger kids had an absolute blast. There was so very much for them to do! They swam, ate tons of ice cream, did all the activities in the kids club. On our last day, my youngest daughter, who mind you SOBBED the day we were leaving as her dad dropped us. She was going to miss him so much. So she curled up in my lap the morning we pulled into Seattle, and said, Mommy? Can we do another cruise with grandma but for longer days next time? So they loved it.

We did gold panning in Juneau, it was a lot of fun. We just toured Sitka on foot, and did the lumberjack show in Ketchikan. They were all inexpensive tours, because we are a big family and I cant afford a ton of expensive stuff.

My oldest and I rented movies from the front desk, and checked books out from the library. Plus we played games in the library, we played cards by the pool. He got very seasick, and pretty much had a terrible time because of it. As far as dinner went, we had a window table. That kept them occupied, especially when we saw whales.

it has been discussed here on CC that some families with kids eat twice each evening. An early dinner in the Lido Market with adults having appetizers while kids eat, kids go back to Club HAL at 7:00 PM, and the adults have their second dinner after 7:00 PM.

Here is a link to typical Club HAL activities for Alaska:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/here/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/AL-15-Kids-3-7.pdf

Here is a link to the latest Kid's menu that I saw in 2016 if they accompany you to the MDR:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/here/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/HAL-Kids-Menu.pdf

• Like 1

How old are your kids? I work with preschoolers every day, so I'm full of suggestions, but what I'd suggest for a 2 year old is different than a 5 year old. When my kids were 2, I'd bring a piggy bank and a handful of pennies. They loved putting them in over and over. (Although maybe not for a 2 hour dinner.) A 5 year old might like simple word searches or mazes. A pad of paper and some pencils or a fancy 4 color pen can be used for coloring or games like tic-tac-toe. You can get favorite characters like Disney princesses or Paws Patrol at the Dollar Store. Then I use the paper to draw food for them or a house. You can also get very small magnadoodles or travel magnetic games.

Often, parents want to talk while the kids entertain themselves. This is probably difficult for the kids when they have to sit and behave for a long time. Giving them your attention will help keep them in seat: e.g. playing a paper/pencil game, taking turns drawing, playing a word memory game or I Spy. When all else fails, you can fall back on technology.

I don't remember how they do it on a cruise but don't let them bring the kids' food before yours or they'll be complaining while you're trying to eat.

Early fixed dining is a great suggestion. You know your children, the first night or two will determine whether the MDR will work for you. Room service is an option, although, might be a little crowded depending on size of the cabin.

Club HAL does an amazing job of keeping kids happy and engaged.

Regarding dinner, the MDR might be too much for them if they are not used to dining in restaurants that serve on a leisurely schedule. We did not take books and crayons (and definitely not electronic devices) when we took our son along. We engaged him in conversation and he was fine. If it proves challenging for your kids, you can order the exact same meals from the MDR for room service. Also, they might enjoy the buffet and its relaxing atmosphere more.

Us as well. We did Celebrity for a 15-night Panama Canal FL to CA, and left those things back in the room at dinner. Excellent time to practice social etiquette (ages 10 and 6).

It's never too early for kids to learn to appreciate a nice meal in a more formal/grownup setting. When our friends' kids were little, they came along when we went out to dinner. We'd see the eye rolls as we walked by with little kids. But even before she was too big for a booster seat, their youngest appreciated eating out and knew how to behave and interact with others at the table. We'd see the eye rollers relax as we all sat calmly and enjoyed our meal and our conversation.

It's never too early for kids to learn to appreciate a nice meal in a more formal/grownup setting. When our friends' kids were little, they came along when we went out to dinner. We'd see the eye rolls as we walked by with little kids. But even before she was too big for a booster seat, their youngest appreciated eating out and knew how to behave and interact with others at the table. We'd see the eye rollers relax as we all sat calmly and enjoyed our meal and our conversation.

Exactly! Our first cruise for our kids was when they were 15 months (and oldest had just turned 5). It was a 14 night transatlantic. Over 100 nights onboard for each kiddo now (ages 6 and 10) and we pretty much never eat in the buffet on any cruiseline. They learned early the expectations at dinner onboard. We still get the eye rolls from adults when we walk in - some people in today's society are gender biased, while some people are age biased and don't want children on "their" ship. By the end of the cruise we have people stopping by to compliment our children. The last eyeroll we had was when our oldest wore capris into the dining room with her keens instead of more formal dinner shoes - they were headed to kids club directly from dinner - so hopefully we didn't ruin that lady's cruise with mine slipping up on dresscode a little one night. It was a great opportunity to remind my daughter that the people around her are constantly watching more than just their behavior.

Exactly! Our first cruise for our kids was when they were 15 months (and oldest had just turned 5). It was a 14 night transatlantic. Over 100 nights onboard for each kiddo now (ages 6 and 10) and we pretty much never eat in the buffet on any cruiseline. They learned early the expectations at dinner onboard. We still get the eye rolls from adults when we walk in - some people in today's society are gender biased, while some people are age biased and don't want children on "their" ship. By the end of the cruise we have people stopping by to compliment our children. The last eyeroll we had was when our oldest wore capris into the dining room with her keens instead of more formal dinner shoes - they were headed to kids club directly from dinner - so hopefully we didn't ruin that lady's cruise with mine slipping up on dresscode a little one night. It was a great opportunity to remind my daughter that the people around her are constantly watching more than just their behavior.

I have complimented parents and/or grandparents with well behaved children. I try to find a moment to say something quietly out of the kids' earshot. And it always gets a smile.

I've also complimented school groups at museums. That is really funny. I say "Are you with the school group?" and I see the tension/defensiveness rising. And when I say that I just wanted to tell them how great it was that the kids were really into it or obviously well prepared to get the most out of it, the look of amazement (and relief!) is wonderful.

A few suggestions for making dinner faster. If you can get early fixed dining, you'll have the same waiters every night and they will get to know your family and understand that kids can be bored with a long wait. They'll try their best to expedite your service. You can make things go more quickly if you arrive at the opening time and get your order in quickly. I think the day's menus are now on the electronic in-house (free) Navigator site, so you can think about dinner choices before you go in, which will make ordering even faster.

Another way to speed things up at dinner is to ask for a desert menu along with the regular dinner menu. Order your desert when you order the entrees and it will be waiting when you finish the entree - cuts down the time waiting to order desert as well as the time it takes for it to arrive.:)

thanks for all the feedback - it is appreciated!

a few suggested the salmon hatcheries - is the one in juneau better than sitka?

@styles27 - thanks for the details! your personal review on your cruise has helped me get excited as i'm not a lifelong cruiser- ha! we went to the caribbean when i was expecting the kids and i thought our balcony there was a slider, so i assumed others were similar - but at this point, that could even be a false memory - ha!

i'm glad to hear about the 'crow's nest' as i'm unsure that the kids will want to go to the kids club at night ... thanks for the shuttle info for juneau and sitka - i hope we can make both work :)

@MandyGirl - i will have to look up nugget falls ...

looking forward to your review, @jasperkerri - have a great time!

our kids would love a library visit - thanks for adding that, @TheCalicoCat

appreciate the dinner suggestions - we have pretty much told them that their grandparents are being very generous and part of the trip includes sit-down dinners (we have fixed seating for the first time slot) ... they are good eaters and i think they will enjoy trying different foods and even the bonus dessert :) i have been gathering some maze books and seek and find books to help in desperate times - ha!

great picture, @Sequim88! i think they would love to touch a crab! definitely looking into a shuttle to a hatchery :)

and yes, in addition to social etiquette, i'm excited to get them dressed up, too! they aren't much for that, most of the time - ha!

that would be so unfortunate if your little is sick, @Mamascott :( ... i would be so excited if we get a window table assignment!

@pengu!n, our kids are 4.5 ... appreciate your thoughts for keeping them busy! i think they will handle dinner pretty ok ... unless one of us is at work, we make it a very regular habit to sit and eat together every night so we are going to try to stick with that here ... i have heard the dining room can be easier for parents as they don't have to stress about finding a seat or gathering food from multiple stations for multiple people - not ideal for vacation!

even though they keep asking if the ship will sink :o, i think they are going to enjoy the cruise! i do worry a little that they will just be so busy and overstimulated that they won't get enough sleep ... they don't really nap unless they are sleepy and in the car more than 20 minutes ... *sigh* ... at least i think i read that there are black-out shades/blinds in the rooms?

thanks again and if anyone has other thoughts, i will keep checking :)

another quick curiosity - was there anything missing, snack-wise, that would be recommended for an in-room stash? i may bring some fruit snacks as they can be helpful bribes, or trail mix, but if something else would be helpful, we can bring that, too - esp as we are driving to seattle ... thx!

Might want to get your kids to like anything with ginger in it in case they get to feel a little queasy since it has long been known by sailors to help with seasickness - has to be enough ginger to make a difference - crystalized ginger chunks are my own favorite take along snack. Health food stores usually carry them in bulk or in bags. Here are some ways to enjoy ginger: http://www.motion-sickness-guru.com/ginger-for-motion-sickness.html (No product endorsement intended, just a list of possible options.)

t

another quick curiosity - was there anything missing, snack-wise, that would be recommended for an in-room stash? i may bring some fruit snacks as they can be helpful bribes, or trail mix, but if something else would be helpful, we can bring that, too - esp as we are driving to seattle ... thx!

The kid's menu (my link posted above) for the MDR comes with crayons to color the picture that is included. If you print the menu, your kids can see what is for dinner and practice coloring the giant whale.

There are "mostly" blackout curtains in each stateroom but they require some clothespins/chips bag clips to close the gaps.

The Dessert Station of the Lido Market has breakfast cereals (Lucky Charms, Fruit Loops, Frosted Mini Wheats, etc) as well as 2% chocolate milk that you can pick up at breakfast time for snacks later in the day. Your Room Steward can bring you a basket of fruit each day if you ask. You can choose what fruit you would like but I bet kids would love bananas and grapes.

The Dessert Station also has unlimited cookies that could be excellent bribes. For high-end bribes, the Explorations Cafe has complimentary giant chocolate chip cookies.

Kids also have their own section of the new Room Service menu.

Enjoy your cruise planning.

Edited by Crew News