Popular fashion for touring British isles and on board celebrity

I have no idea whether you are a man or a woman but you will find plenty of people wearing white slacks, coloured slacks, patterned slacks, shorts, jeans of differing styles, women with capris, short skirts, longer skirts, dresses, all in every colour under the sun. I hope by now you've got the message that people in the UK can and do wear any sort of casual summer clothing. Just wear what you like to wear; you'll fit in just fine.

The only fashion faux pas that most Americans make while traveling in Europe (cruise or otherwise) is that they wear sneakers instead of shoes while sightseeing, etc.

And since you asked, although we did the British Isles cruise in the beginning of July, (prime time for white slacks in the U.S.) I didn't bring any - only black and khaki.

For June cruising in the British Isles are white slacks in style? Thanks

Have you looked at the historic weather averages for your ports? If not, I recommend you do so.

Guessing that you'll be on the Silhouette, I checked Intellicast.com for a June 9 port call in Amsterdam. That web site puts the average high for that day at 67 degrees (F). The average low is 49 degrees.

If I'm right about the Silhouette, your northernmost port will be Greenock/Glasgow and, no surprise, it will be somewhat colder. Average high will be 63 degrees. Average low will be 47 degrees.

The amount of rain will be another important statistic for your planning. For example, Glasgow expects 22 days of some rain in the month of June.

What's with this "sneakers" issue? I just returned from 22 days land & cruise - British Isles, and saw lots of people wearing sneakers [AKA trainers]. In fact, having read on CC that it's a big faux pas to wear sneakers, I kept watching what people wore while in London. My sneakers were the norm. A friend from Bournemouth, with whom we traveled, was wearing sneakers when we met in Salisbury.

Wear whatever you want, comfort is more important that style.

Darcy

What's with this "sneakers" issue? I just returned from 22 days land & cruise - British Isles, and saw lots of people wearing sneakers [AKA trainers]. In fact, having read on CC that it's a big faux pas to wear sneakers, I kept watching what people wore while in London. My sneakers were the norm. A friend from Bournemouth, with whom we traveled, was wearing sneakers when we met in Salisbury.

Darcy

Well said! When sightseeing you want to be comfy. I wear trainers/ pumps or plimsolls 80% of the time here

SO very sad! Would you dress like that in NYC or Paris?? Same goes for London since the locals are very fashionable. One does not have to stand out!!!

Not everyone is... We have plenty of chavs :-)

It's not inappropriate to wear white on board ship. However, do remember that any stains will be more visible, and you will incur extra charges for dry cleaning:

1771742a1b1394099088456feadd07fa.jpg

Whether touring the English countryside or just pottering about on the Gloucester Road of a Saturday, SWMBO & I generally prefer comfortable but stylish casual attire:

RUMPOLESTILL1.jpg

SO very sad! Would you dress like that in NYC or Paris?? Same goes for London since the locals are very fashionable. One does not have to stand out!!!

I'm not sure where you have got this idea from. You will see plenty of unfashionable people in London and, unless they go into a high-end restaurant dressed like that, no-one will give them a second glance.

Edited by aquilegia

What is wrong with 'sneakers' for sightseeing?

I worked at a small liberal arts college in the U.S. In our post 9-11 era, and even more recently with more anti-American sentiment throughout the world, students getting ready for their semester abroad were encouraged NOT to wear sneakers outside of the gym - a surefire way to identify them as American since most European students do not wear gym sneakers all day. The goal was to make the American students as inconspicuous as possible.

I worked at a small liberal arts college in the U.S. In our post 9-11 era, and even more recently with more anti-American sentiment throughout the world, students getting ready for their semester abroad were encouraged NOT to wear sneakers outside of the gym - a surefire way to identify them as American since most European students do not wear gym sneakers all day. The goal was to make the American students as inconspicuous as possible.

Trust me many British will wear sneakers / trainers. Perhaps European e.g Spanish and Italian wouldn't buy we defiantly do

It's not inappropriate to wear white on board ship. However, do remember that any stains will be more visible, and you will incur extra charges for dry cleaning:

1771742a1b1394099088456feadd07fa.jpg

Whether touring the English countryside or just pottering about on the Gloucester Road of a Saturday, SWMBO & I generally prefer comfortable but stylish casual attire:

RUMPOLESTILL1.jpg

:D Love this.

The answer to your question is a regretful "yes." I guarantee you that US tourists dress exactly like the picture when they visit Washington, DC. I'm regularly dismayed by visitors who are dressed for the beach walking through the monuments and museums of Washington, DC.

I'm not sure where you have got this idea from. You will see plenty of unfashionable people in London and, unless they go into a high-end restaurant dressed like that, no-one will give them a second glance.

Yes, we see them every day of our 6 week visits for the last 30 years and yes they are mostly tourists or teenagers. You are so right, neither London nor DC have beaches and some respect for great CITIES might be in order even for our tourists.

Edited by orchestrapal

Actually, sneakers are quite fashionable atm in Scotland, not white one so much but certainly coloured ones. It was the case a few years ago that they were the sign of an overseas tourist, but not so much anymore. I now have a lovely pair of jade sneakers !

Darcy

Absolutely!! Dress for comfort and to protect yourself against the everchanging elements most likely on a British Isles cruise.

Actually, sneakers are quite fashionable atm in Scotland, not white one so much but certainly coloured ones. It was the case a few years ago that they were the sign of an overseas tourist, but not so much anymore. I now have a lovely pair of jade sneakers !

There is a lot of difference between sneakers and clunky trainers.