Sanctuary worth it?

lbfluffy

I was disappointed. I was happy to pay for a quiet place to read, relax, and be pampered by the wonderful staff. I envisioned a spa-like atmosphere, but on the Royal, I was treated to the cruise staff on the deck below yelling, "Everybody Scream!" There were also others who had reserved Sanctuary loungers together to socialize loudly together. I won't be booking the Sanctuary again.

On the Grand Class ships, which we sail on most because of where we live and work full time, I wish we would have done it on the Mexico itinerary with some kids on board. No one seemed to use it on the April SF-Hawaii trip last year. On that itinerary, I'd love to have Sanctuary duty every day as a ship employee! Just hang out up there all day and have nothing to do :D

Edited by gcvt

On that itinerary, I'd love to have Sanctuary duty every day as a ship employee! Just hang out up there all day and have nothing to do :D

Actually they hate it, it's so boring the day drags for them. On our recent Dawn cruise there were only two couples who booked the whole cruise, and a few other people on various days.

We love the Sanctuary, have used it on both our Sun and Dawn cruises, but our idea of heaven is a quiet, comfortable spot in the fresh air so we can read.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

Mostly older generation have found there are many areas on the ship were one can have a peaceful time, or others more lively were one can enjoy music and a chat .I imagine at school holidays and Christmas time the shorter trips ,which I have never been on, can get a bit noisier therefore The Sanctuary would be a peaceful haven for some.

Edited by kruisey

I agree about the Royal's Sanctuary. It was very, very noisy with the people who had booked cabanas blasting their TVs even when they weren't there. The attendants wouldn't do anything about it.

It was a head-scratching moment when I first found out about the TVs in the cabanas on the Royal. What were they thinking?

I even hate TVs in bars or the airport where the sound is turned on.

We have used the Sanctuary on 6 of our 7 cruises (the Ocean Princess doesn't have one) including Alaska. I don't recommend it for Alaska as the weather is so iffy. It's also hard for me to recommend it since the price doubled to $40 a day.

On a port-intensive cruise-my next has one sea day and long excursions booked-we can only get value from it on one day, the sea day.

I have never seen it anywhere near being sold out- I think Glacier Bay on the Diamond was the closest.

Even on a Caribbean run a Serenity steward could fire a shotgun without anyone (except me) getting hit. I'm not suggesting they should try this...

Norris

We're on the REGAL's repo from NYC to Lauderdale on 10/24. My favorite thing to do on a cruise is to look out over the bow. Since the only forward view (other than from forward-facing balcony rooms) is from The Sanctuary, I plan on reserving a few half days during our trip. If not for the forward view, I would skip it.

We're on the REGAL's repo from NYC to Lauderdale on 10/24. My favorite thing to do on a cruise is to look out over the bow. Since the only forward view (other than from forward-facing balcony rooms) is from The Sanctuary, I plan on reserving a few half days during our trip. If not for the forward view, I would skip it.

The Ruby,Emerald and Crown have it over the two newer ships.The upper promenade on Deck 7 has the forward view.:)

Person-ably feel it is a shame that The regal/Royal do not have free access to the forward view on those ships.

Edited by kruisey

The Ruby,Emerald and Crown have it over the two newer ships.The upper promenade on Deck 7 has the forward view.:)

Person-ably feel it is a shame that The regal/Royal do not have free access to the forward view on those ships.

Yeah, the SAPPHIRE has a nice forward view as well.

I agree...a little better planning would have made a world of difference. Still, we're looking forward to our trip.

• 2 weeks later...
I've never tried the Sanctuary. Is it worth the extra charge?

We love the Sanctuary and book it on all warm weather sailings. I see it's your D/H birthday, so if you decide to book it, run upstairs as soon as you get onboard. Maybe even treat him to a couples massage, it's nice!

We love the Sanctuary and book it on all warm weather sailings. I see it's your D/H birthday, so if you decide to book it, run upstairs as soon as you get onboard. Maybe even treat him to a couples massage, it's nice!

My husband has a fear of massages. He hurt his back years ago and is worried it could get re injured. He's crazy. I get a massage once a month and see the chiropractor regularly.

Thanks for your thoughts!!

The funny thing is my answer is no, but we book it anyway.

Almost everything you get there, except the loungers can be had for free with a little effort. That said, who wants to make the effort?

It also depends on which ship. Even without the pool on the Island now I'd still happily book it on her or on the coral, on the Royal or Regal I would be far less likely too because of the design.

I enjoyed the sanctuary on the Royal, because the adult pool was just too darned windy. I was as far forward as you could get so I don't remember hearing any noise or screaming. I would definitely utilize it again, but I would now be conscious of where I would be sitting due to peoples statements about noise.

I've been doing the Sanctuary for about 5 years now and feel it is money well spent. i especially enjoy knowing that my comfy lounger is there waiting for me when I'm ready.

To person who said they heard screaming staff from one deck below on the Royal - not sure how that's possible - there's no open public spaces below the Sanctuary.

Regarding the TVs in the cabanas - they are supposed to be watched using the headphones provided so that others are not disturbed. It's a shame the manager did not attend to that - you were paying for peace and quiet.

If they are holding some loud events at the pool and the wind direction is right you can get some spillover noise. We heard it while checking out the Sanctuary during sailaway. It wasn't -loud- but was noticeable, but if you get a CD who overcranks the sound...

I've been doing the Sanctuary for about 5 years now and feel it is money well spent. i especially enjoy knowing that my comfy lounger is there waiting for me when I'm ready.

To person who said they heard screaming staff from one deck below on the Royal - not sure how that's possible - there's no open public spaces below the Sanctuary.

Regarding the TVs in the cabanas - they are supposed to be watched using the headphones provided so that others are not disturbed. It's a shame the manager did not attend to that - you were paying for peace and quiet.