Bringing wine glasses aboard

vadersprincess12

Best friend and I will be sailing on the Pride next month. We know that we can carry one bottle of wine each on board. We have these really cool wine glasses that we purchased and would like to bring them onboard.

Can anyone tell us if that is permitted ~ we would more than likely have them in our carry on luggage.

Thanks!

I'm guessing you can bring them if you want. But why? You'll have to wash them yourselves and if they were expensive, they could get broken or chipped, just in the normal course of things plus the cabin steward might accidently remove them.

Nothing wrong with the wine glasses that Carnival provides, despite what the wine snobs whine about how much teeny tiny better a really good wine glass makes a wine taste. After the second gulp, who cares?!:p

I'm guessing you can bring them if you want. But why? You'll have to wash them yourselves and if they were expensive, they could get broken or chipped, just in the normal course of things plus the cabin steward might accidently remove them.

Nothing wrong with the wine glasses that Carnival provides, despite what the wine snobs whine about how much teeny tiny better a really good wine glass makes a wine taste. After the second gulp, who cares?!

Well, I guess I'm a "wine snob" according to you:rolleyes:(Although a true wine snob would consider me an ignorant rube:o), since I can detect and appreciate a BIG difference in the taste of wine when it is served in a good glass as opposed to a cheap glass or inappropriately-shaped glass.

I don't whine about it though, and haven't witnessed anyone else whine aout it. Was this just your attempt to be funny or have you actually witnessed whining about wine?:rolleyes: Why the derision? Do you feel threatened by people with palettes that can differentiate subtleties in wine? Or do you think you are better than us in some way because "after the first gulp" we shouldn't care what it tastes like?

The right glass can make a huge difference in the taste of the wine - nothing "teeny tiny" about it. If you like wine and you haven't experienced this yet, you should try a wine glass taste test sometime.;)

Vaderprincess12 - I was intrigued by your thread title because I've actually considered bringing one of my Riedel pinot noir glasses on my next Pride cruise. I've decided not to because I don't want to lose it (if I use it about the ship and set it down, it might get cleared away by a crewmember). I admit I have become a bit spoilt by my good wine glasses. Drinking wine from "regular" glasses (thick, clumsy glass, often of the wrong shape and size) now feels a little bit like "roughing it".:o

I was so glad to find on my RCI cruise, that their Steakhouse (Chops) used Riedel glasses. I was allowed to take my dinner wine glass with me and use it for the rest of the cruise, bringing it back at breakfast on debarkation day.:) I rinsed it out with hot water in between uses.

There are no restrictions that I know of against bringing your own wine glasses. I think you are right to put them in your carry-on if you do bring them - they might not survive in checked luggage. Whatever you decide, enjoy your cruise!

Edited by ShakyBeef

Best friend and I will be sailing on the Pride next month. We know that we can carry one bottle of wine each on board. We have these really cool wine glasses that we purchased and would like to bring them onboard.

Can anyone tell us if that is permitted ~ we would more than likely have them in our carry on luggage.

Thanks!

We brought champagne flutes on for our wedding, so I can't imagine that glasses would be any different. I'm not sure they'd serve you in the glasses, but you could always transfer your drinks.

You'll have no problem as long as you pack them in your carry on bag (with your wine) and make sure they're protected. I've done this many times as I like to have a pair of etched glasses with the cruise name and date each time I sail. It's a great souvenir to toast as you begin sailing and remember your time on board after you depart.

Thanks!

Sure. You could bring your own wine glasses. Just pack them so they're well protected. If you don't want to risk losing them or having them broken, leave them at home, and once you've boarded, ask your cabin steward if he/she could bring a couple to your cabin.

Well, I guess I'm a "wine snob" according to you:rolleyes:(Although a true wine snob would consider me an ignorant rube:o)

You sure don't write about wine like an ignorant rube. I daresay most of us don't know one type of wine glass from another.

Edited by Earthworm Jim

I have carried wine glasses and snifters for years on several cruise lines with no problem. I have a very nice (padded) Riedel bag that holds an assortment of glasses. Just off Carnival Victory ( Jan. 23 ) and I took crystal snifters. Got some fun comments from the bartenders. We are cruising again on April 3rd and we are taking some margarita glasses that flash colors. Anything to make it more fun. ENJOY !:D:D

You sure don't write about wine like an ignorant rube. I daresay most of us don't know one type of wine glass from another.

Oh!:o Thanks!:) I think.:o Really, I don't know much about wine. I've become a tiny bit educated in some aspects of it. But when I hear real oenophiles talk, I feel like I don't have a clue. I basically just know what I like.

But really, the right glass can make a HUGE difference! Everyone on whom I have tried the 'wine glass taste test' has noticed it - even people who insisted beforehand that they wouldn't be able to, and that the effort would be wasted on them.:)

I have carried wine glasses and snifters for years on several cruise lines with no problem. I have a very nice (padded) Riedel bag that holds an assortment of glasses. Just off Carnival Victory ( Jan. 23 ) and I took crystal snifters. Got some fun comments from the bartenders. We are cruising again on April 3rd and we are taking some margarita glasses that flash colors. Anything to make it more fun. ENJOY !:D:D

Oohh,:) I've seen that bag when online shopping, and have had it in my "cart" at least twice over the last couple years. But I never bought it, because I feel a little guilty sometimes about how much I already pack. I'm a serious overpacker, and sometimes catch flak for it.:o

My definition of a wine glass is whatever glass is holding my wine at the moment!! Of course, the only wine I've ever enjoyed cost $7.95 at the local supermarket. [emoji39]

LOL.:p I've had several really yummy $8 wines. And those $8 wines taste more like $30 wines in the right glass.;)

Thanks!

Absolutely! The wife always has to bring her Lolita wine glass to go with her carry-on wine bottles. I would also recommend packing it in your carry-on bag. Less chance of it becoming ground glass.

Enjoy!

Thanks everyone. Our glasses aren't expensive, just something we picked up that are hand painted with a fun message for friends. We are each bringing a bottle of wine to enjoy sitting on the balcony and thought it would be fun to bring them.

My friend is the widow of the former cruise manager at our home port so the cruise is a little bittersweet for her; I thought bringing our "friends" wine glasses would help make the trip more enjoyable.

LOL.:p I've had several really yummy $8 wines. And those $8 wines taste more like $30 wines in the right glass.;)

Very true about some of the inexpensive wines tasting good. I've been to a few wine tastings and did the wine/food pairing class/seminar on one of the Carnival ships awhile back. Not sure if they still do it but it was very educational and that started me paying more attention to which wine I was drinking with which food.

Thanks everyone. Our glasses aren't expensive, just something we picked up that are hand painted with a fun message for friends. We are each bringing a bottle of wine to enjoy sitting on the balcony and thought it would be fun to bring them.

My friend is the widow of the former cruise manager at our home port so the cruise is a little bittersweet for her; I thought bringing our "friends" wine glasses would help make the trip more enjoyable.

What a sweet thing to do for your friend! Looks like the answer was YES! Hope y'all have a wonderful time together toasting your friendship with your pretty wine glasses 😊🍷🍷😊. Cheers!

Aw, that's sweet and thoughtful of you. Here's wishing you both a fabulous cruise, with plenty of moments for you to enjoy your wine in your special glasses.:)

Also, the fact that they are hand-painted would make them very distinctive and thus unlikely to get mistakenly taken away by a drink server, etc. if you were to use them about the ship.:)

Thanks!

There is no rule that prohibits you from bringing wine glasses on board.

Thanks to this thread, I've decided to take one of my Riedel crystal pinot noir glasses on my next cruise, afterall. As far as wine glasses go, they are a little pricey, but when it comes down to it, it's not a lot of money that I'm out if it does break. And if it doesn't, and I get to use it for all the pinot noir I drink:o on the cruise, I've increased the enjoyment of my cruise by a noticeable amount. So, I've decided it's worth it.:D Thank you, Vadersprincess12 and all the others here who have helped to bring me around to this choice.

You my fellow CC friend bring aboard whatever makes you happy! Seriously, I myself LOVE LOVE LOVE wine! Whether its a Dixie cup , red solo cup or drinking right out of the bottle it tastes the same! Whatever makes you happy, drink it out of that cup! CHEERS!

Whether its a Dixie cup , red solo cup or drinking right out of the bottle it tastes the same!

Well, that right thar's yer problem. Yer drinkin' it outta all the wrong things.:cool:

:p

Seriously, though, have you tried a wine glass taste test? I promise you, there's a big difference.