Are we going to get kicked off Carnival?

DKF97

Just got off the Dream yesterday and we had a great cruise, despite one incident which was our fault. My husband and I had a cove balcony and our boys 13 and 15 (well 16 today:-) had a 1A across the hall. On Friday afternoon we were heading up to lunch when my 13yr old realized he forgot his s&s card, he went back to get it and was going to meet us on Lido.

He had the top bunk and his card was on one of those belt clips with the retractable cord. Well apparently he thought it would be a great idea to hang it from the sprinkler head :eek: He couldn't get it off and in the process of trying, set it off! He immediately ran down the hall to a maintenance man and told him what he had done and the man called someone and the water shut off, but of course the damage was done and everything was SOAKED.

He came and got us, by the time we got down there they had a whole team working on it. It was loud and disturbed some guests trying to nap so we got a talking to by security, which I understand but it was weird because clearly we weren't going to let it happen again and there was nothing we could do about the noise. It took about an hour to get the water vacuumed up and the room cleaned out and they had blowers going in there for the rest of the cruise.

They had us sign a statement saying that it was an accident, nobody was injured, and we would be responsible for him. We weren't sure what to expect. I figured we would get a bill when we got home, but they called Sunday morning and said the cost for repairing the damages and inconveniencing other guests would be added to our account. It was surprisingly small and we had no problem paying of course.

Now i'm worried that we are going to get one of those letters saying we are no longer welcome to sail with Carnival. What do you think? We have our next cruise booked and paid for, just hubby and I, no kids this time. If we do get banned, they have to at least refund our cruise right? We can cancel right now with no fee, but only for the next day or 2. Really don't want to do that!

If you signed the documentation and paid... you shouldn't have an issue returning. But, I would guess that the cruise line can refuse services for various reasons.

Ecstasy December 2004

Triumph December 2011

Magic March 2012

Magic December 2012

Liberty August 2014

Just got off the Dream yesterday and we had a great cruise, despite one incident which was our fault. My husband and I had a cove balcony and our boys 13 and 15 (well 16 today:-) had a 1A across the hall. On Friday afternoon we were heading up to lunch when my 13yr old realized he forgot his s&s card, he went back to get it and was going to meet us on Lido.

He had the top bunk and his card was on one of those belt clips with the retractable cord. Well apparently he thought it would be a great idea to hang it from the sprinkler head :eek: He couldn't get it off and in the process of trying, set it off! He immediately ran down the hall to a maintenance man and told him what he had done and the man called someone and the water shut off, but of course the damage was done and everything was SOAKED.

He came and got us, by the time we got down there they had a whole team working on it. It was loud and disturbed some guests trying to nap so we got a talking to by security, which I understand but it was weird because clearly we weren't going to let it happen again and there was nothing we could do about the noise. It took about an hour to get the water vacuumed up and the room cleaned out and they had blowers going in there for the rest of the cruise.

They had us sign a statement saying that it was an accident, nobody was injured, and we would be responsible for him. We weren't sure what to expect. I figured we would get a bill when we got home, but they called Sunday morning and said the cost for repairing the damages and inconveniencing other guests would be added to our account. It was surprisingly small and we had no problem paying of course.

Now i'm worried that we are going to get one of those letters saying we are no longer welcome to sail with Carnival. What do you think? We have our next cruise booked and paid for, just hubby and I, no kids this time. If we do get banned, they have to at least refund our cruise right? We can cancel right now with no fee, but only for the next day or 2. Really don't want to do that!

I doubt they will ban you. I bet you do not hear anything else about it! You cooperated, accepted responsibility, signed the paperwork and paid the fee.

But on the outside chance that they do decide to stop you from cruising, I would think they would have to refund the cruise you have booked.

Edited by happy cruzin

I have certainly done my fair share of stupid things when I was a kid. My parents can probably attest to that fact.

It sounds like you were responsible about it, didn't fight the issue or try to blame the cruise line, paid the bill and were apologetic about it. It obviously wasn't malicious or intentional on your part and it was just a case of "boys will be boys".

Based on what you've said here, I doubt you'll have a problem in the future. Sounds like you are responsible parents and I wish more parents were just as responsible as you are instead of trying to pass the buck on to someone else. I say kudos to you.

I wouldn't worry about it too much. It was a silly thing that a 13 year old did, without malicious intent, and, in the end, no one was hurt, and apparently the damage wasn't too severe.

Things happen. I'm sure this isn't the first time.

I doubt that Carnival will do anything since you've accepted responsibility and paid for the damage.

You would be surprised to see how many people don't accept the fault for exactly this type of incident! I know first hand from the type of work I do.

Thanks all, I feel better:) We had such a great time, definitely our favorite cruise so far. This was our 4th all with Carnival and I don't really have much interest in other lines right now. And for those curious, the extra charge they gave us was $150, which we thought was more than reasonable.

One thing I did want to say to them but didn't because I didn't want them to think we weren't taking responsibility, I wish they had a small sticker or something next to the sprinkler warning not to touch it because they are sensitive. I think it might have prevented the issue, but it may not have. Who knows what goes through a 13yr olds head, LOL!

I am in the FD too and spent time in the Inspections Department. The paperwork you signed not only obligated you to pay for any damage done but it was also part of a report they had to file because the suppression system was engaged.

I am almost certain that other than your name being associated with a report that no one is ever going to look at again the issue is over as far as CCL is concerned.

I am sure the other FD personnel that replied will agree that it is usually a coat hanger that causes a sprinkler head to engage...i have seen that way too many times to count.

Thanks all, I feel better:) We had such a great time, definitely our favorite cruise so far. This was our 4th all with Carnival and I don't really have much interest in other lines right now. And for those curious, the extra charge they gave us was $150, which we thought was more than reasonable.

One thing I did want to say to them but didn't because I didn't want them to think we weren't taking responsibility, I wish they had a small sticker or something next to the sprinkler warning not to touch it because they are sensitive. I think it might have prevented the issue, but it may not have. Who knows what goes through a 13yr olds head, LOL!

Some, not me, would have blamed Carnival as there was no sticker and sought some sort of compensation. You did the right thing.

I had a couple of hotels in my first alarm area. One time there was a large group of teenage cheerleaders staying at one for a cheering competition. You can guess where a couple of them decided to hang their cheerleading uniforms. It is amazing how much water a 15 gallon a minute sprinkler head can put out before we can get there and put in a wedge. The two floors below also took quite a bath.

Young people have no idea what those weird things hanging from the ceiling are.

On a side note fire sprinklers are the greatest thing since sliced bread. They are on duty 24/7/365. They never take a break. They stop 99.9999% of fires before they get out of control.

All I want to say is Thank you for being responsible people and doing what is right. I see so many people these days trying to put the blame on others and not take responsiblity. You are being a great role model for your children. As for you child setting off the sprinkler, I consider it a learning experience of growing up. (I would have loved to have seen his face when the sprinkler went off).

All I want to say is Thank you for being responsible people and doing what is right. I see so many people these days trying to put the blame on others and not take responsiblity. You are being a great role model for your children. As for you child setting off the sprinkler, I consider it a learning experience of growing up. (I would have loved to have seen his face when the sprinkler went off).

May I second this? (My guess is that his face probably looked like :eek:.)

OP, while I also agree that CCL shouldn't use this to ban you I'm afraid that I don't have a seat in the board room. All I can say is that I hope that they don't ban you.

They charged you for the damage and you agreed and paid it without arguing. I doubt you'll have an issue.

And yes, if they were to ban you they would have to refund your paid-for cruise.

I seem to remember coming back to my room one night, many years ago, and finding a towel animal monkey hanging from the sprinkler.

Ours has always been hanging from the curtain valance over the balcony door.

Edited by WindsorFred

Your 13 yo son... :eek: , Maintenance Man... :eek: ... you, DH, and 16 yo son :eek: :eek: :eek:

He will have some story to tell his children when he grows up about how he flooded a cruise ship! :eek:

All jokes aside, it was an accident, and nothing is going to happen. You have paid for the accident. I'll bet that more adults have set off the sprinklers than children. He didn't realize what would happen. I'm glad he was smart enough to run and get a maintenance man. Can you imagine if he had panicked and ran to try and find you all? He did the right thing in a scary situation.

Edited by INCHARGE

I think the boy should be congratulated for owning his mistake right away and getting the maintenance man. A lot of kids would go about their way and try to blame this on the ship.