The Anti-Socialite goes on a cruise. What to do? :P

greenseaships

OK, first let me say that I use the term 'anti-socialite' humorously. I don't want to sound like a sociopath or something!

Let me next point out that I am putting together my first cruise. And I don't think I'm doing it for the reasons that most people do. My wife has made her annual return to Japan with the kids for the summer and I am holding down the house as I still have to work. Most of the time :D

So I have decided this summer I am finally taking the cruise I've always told myself I would some day. You see, I am a ship LOVER. Passenger ships and particularly ocean liners mostly. So I have always seen cruise ships in a slightly different light than I think most cruisers do.

My wife has made it clear that any time we take a cruise, she WILL be taking me off ship at ports of call. That is why I'm picking this time to do it with her blessing. I do NOT intend to leave ship as the ship herself is my destination. I will be the guy running this way and that all day with his camera getting to know every square foot of the ship that he can. My mission is to enjoy the ship for my own reasons and get that out of my system before taking the rest of the family on HER brand of cruise. :D The kind that most people take. :cool:

Anyway, back to the topic. The cruise I've selected is the Carnival Imagination 3-day running to Ensenada out of Long Beach.

I have spent some time browsing threads for newbies here (the "I wish I knew before" thread was a treasure trove!) But I'm still left with questions unique to my situation. If these have already been answered, please bear with me. That was a HUGE thread. :eek:

(Now for the heart of the thread)

I don't think I'll have any issues filling my day with touring the ship for detailed analysis (I am a ship modeler and always looking for ways to spruce up my giant radio controlled Carnival Ecstasy). My main concerns center around meal times. I'm concerned for example that a single person just won't 'fit in' in a culture of couples and families.

-To start with, I hear a lot of talk about 'tablemates' at meal times and 'it's rude to be late for the meal'. I don't have a problem showing up for dinner on time, but when and how do you find out who your tablemates are? Does it change with each meal? One cruiser suggested that if you aren't comfortable with the people at the table, you can get up and move. That makes it sound like it is NOT assigned seating. If that's the case, then why worry about delaying your tablemates?

-Is room service available for all meals of the day or only breakfast?

-It sounds like tipping is not included in charges (I only ask because that is becoming common in many U.S. hotels when you order room service)

-I read in a post from 2009 that video streaming sites are blocked on cruise ships. Does that include Youtube? Or is that video streaming thing out of date anyway (this is a problem sometimes when you get advice that is several years old!)?

In short, I think I'm most concerned that at times when I am required to mingle with other passengers (like table seating) it may turn out to be really quite awkward. I'm not a very outgoing person when I am alone in public. I tend to be the person who keeps his head down when he's walking around a crowd.

Should I be concerned?

Thanks for your patience!

You don't HAVE to have dinner at the assigned table. Instead, you can go to the buffet, and eat by yourself. Or order room service (small tip expected in addition to the daily charges on your statement).

For breakfast, lunch, snacks there is a buffet, maybe other places, look at the deck plans of your ship. From the daily schedule you will know which are included, which will require a payment.

See CAPS below following your questions/comments.

Good luck!

Anyway, back to the topic. The cruise I've selected is the Carnival Imagination 3-day running to Ensenada out of Long Beach. I have spent some time browsing threads for newbies here (the "I wish I knew before" thread was a treasure trove!) But I'm still left with questions unique to my situation. If these have already been answered, please bear with me. That was a HUGE thread. :eek:

I don't think I'll have any issues filling my day with touring the ship for detailed analysis (I am a ship modeler and always looking for ways to spruce up my giant radio controlled Carnival Ecstasy). My main concerns center around meal times. I'm concerned for example that a single person just won't 'fit in' in a culture of couples and families.

SOMETIMES FAMILY MEMBERS ARRIVE AT THEIR TABLE SOLO/SINGLE...IT'S JUST DINNER, SO BE POLITE AND ENJOY

-To start with, I hear a lot of talk about 'tablemates' at meal times and 'it's rude to be late for the meal'. I don't have a problem showing up for dinner on time, but when and how do you find out who your tablemates are? Does it change with each meal? One cruiser suggested that if you aren't comfortable with the people at the table, you can get up and move. That makes it sound like it is NOT assigned seating. If that's the case, then why worry about delaying your tablemates?

IF YOU CHOOSE SET DINING (VS MY TIME OR ANYTIME) YOU WILL HAVE OTHERS AT THE SAME TABLE WITH YOUR FOR THE DURATION.

YOU CAN'T JUST MOVE IF YOU DON'T LIKE WHO YOU'RE SEATED WITH OR WANT A DIFFERENT LOCATION. YOU MUST ASK THE DINING ROOM MANAGER TO ACCOMMODATE A SEATING CHANGE REQUEST.

OFTEN THE SERVERS WILL WAIT FOR ALL GUESTS TO ARRIVE TO BEGIN (ORDERING AND SERVING), SO IF YOU DELAY THAT, OTHERS MIGHT BE BOTHERED BY IT.

IT'S AVAILABLE 24/7....THE FOOD IS FREE, BUT YOU ARE EXPECTED TO TIP THE CREW MEMBER WHO DELIVERS IT. NOTE: I BELIEVE NCL HAS STARTED CHARGING FOR DELIVERY (NOT THE FOOD, BUT A FEE FOR BRINGING IT TO YOU).

-It sounds like tipping is not included in charges (I only ask because that is becoming common in many U.S. hotels when you order room service)

BASIC GRATUITIES ARE CHARGED AT THE OUTSET (OR CAN BE PRE-PAID, FOR ALL LINES [i THINK] EXCEPT HAL)...YOU WILL STILL BE CHARGED FOR TIPS ON BEVERAGES YOU PAY FOR (SODA, ALCOHOL, SOME JUICES, ETC.).

-I read in a post from 2009 that video streaming sites are blocked on cruise ships. Does that include Youtube? Or is that video streaming thing out of date anyway (this is a problem sometimes when you get advice that is several years old!)?

IF THIS IS TRUE (I'VE NEVER TRIED TO STREAM A VIDEO ON A SHIP), IT'S PROBABLY BECAUSE THE INTERNET IS SATELLITE AND WON'T STREAM WELL ANYWAY.

In short, I think I'm most concerned that at times when I am required to mingle with other passengers (like table seating) it may turn out to be really quite awkward. I'm not a very outgoing person when I am alone in public. I tend to be the person who keeps his head down when he's walking around a crowd.

MY GUESS IS YOU'LL ONLY FEEL A NEED TO MINGLE IF YOU EAT IN THE MAIN DINING ROOM. YOU COULD REQUEST A TABLE FOR ONE OR YOU MIGHT PREFER THE BUFFET TO AVOID SITTING WITH OTHERS.

Should I be concerned?

NO...WE ALL HAVE WORRIES OF ONE KIND OR ANOTHER, BUT GO AND ENJOY YOUR LOVE OF SHIPS AND IF OTHERS WANT YOU TO BE WHAT YOU'RE NOT, LET THEM DEAL WITH IT (NOT THEIR MONKEY, NOT THEIR CIRCUS)

See CAPS below following your questions/comments.

Good luck!

Just one add (in red)...

...BASIC GRATUITIES ARE CHARGED AT THE OUTSET (OR CAN BE PRE-PAID, FOR ALL LINES [i THINK] EXCEPT HAL) (HAL has a "Hotel Service Charge"which covers all tips except room service)...YOU WILL STILL BE CHARGED FOR TIPS ON BEVERAGES YOU PAY FOR (SODA, ALCOHOL, SOME JUICES, ETC.)....

Thank you for the quick replies!

I don't want to sound like I will be gruff or rude to people who approach me, it's just that I socialize best when I feel ready, not when it is compulsory. (Don't we all?) I like some wiggle room to relax and a place to retreat if I don't.

Sounds like I will be covered either way! :D

Just one add (in red)...

...BASIC GRATUITIES ARE CHARGED AT THE OUTSET (OR CAN BE PRE-PAID, FOR ALL LINES [i THINK] EXCEPT HAL) (HAL has a "Hotel Service Charge"which covers all tips except room service)...YOU WILL STILL BE CHARGED FOR TIPS ON BEVERAGES YOU PAY FOR (SODA, ALCOHOL, SOME JUICES, ETC.)....

Right, but they won't let you pre-pay it prior to boarding. The only way you can do that is to more or less purchase an onboard credit equal to the amount of the tips/hotel service charge.

I only mentioned it because I like to pre-pay everything so that the only hit I feel when I return comes from onboard purchases.

Thank you for the quick replies!

I don't want to sound like I will be gruff or rude to people who approach me, it's just that I socialize best when I feel ready, not when it is compulsory. (Don't we all?) I like some wiggle room to relax and a place to retreat if I don't.

Sounds like I will be covered either way! :D

You'll be fine. I've never had anyone push me to be social. And you may even find others are more hesitant than you are.

Thanks again! One other question-

If I book online through Carnival's website, do I get documents mailed to me? I need something to board the ship besides a passport, correct?

Or do I just print out "My cruise details" from the website with itinerary and that's all I need to bring (plus passport of course. I expect they will still need it even though I SAY I'm not leaving the ship)?

Edited by greenseaships

Cruise lines no long mail documents. They tell you to print them off before going to the ship. There will be your boarding pass and luggage tag(s). You can usually print them off once you have made final payment. The luggage tags will include instruction for attaching them to your bags.

Just to let you know that the Internet is very expensive on board the ship and as others have stated very slow.

Yes you will need passport even if you don't get off of the ship😊

I have been a solo traveller many times over the years I find that people are often much more inclusive when they know you are on your own, all my previous table mates have been friendly and we would chat in a relaxed manner about our day. It's perfectly okay to be a none talker & listen to your table mates with the odd acknowledgement to let them know you are listening.

I'm an introvert who relishes my quite time. If you feel like skipping the sit down meal just let the head waiter know so that your table is served in a timely manner 😀

Enjoy exploring the ship.

-To start with, I hear a lot of talk about 'tablemates' at meal times and 'it's rude to be late for the meal'. I don't have a problem showing up for dinner on time, but when and how do you find out who your tablemates are? Does it change with each meal? One cruiser suggested that if you aren't comfortable with the people at the table, you can get up and move. That makes it sound like it is NOT assigned seating. If that's the case, then why worry about delaying your tablemates? if you have traditional dining, you will have the same table, wait staff and companions. if you don't mesh, then no you do not just get up and move you must arrange for it with the head waiter. for 3 days? not even worth the effort. they try and seat you with like minded people.. couples, other singles, etc. if you have the anytime version where you just show up and are seated as you arrive, again no you cannot just get up and walk away. whoever told you that was clueless. other options include the buffet and specialty dining where you can be as solitary as you want.

-Is room service available for all meals of the day or only breakfast? yes except for the last morning. it may be an extremely basic menu

-It sounds like tipping is not included in charges (I only ask because that is becoming common in many U.S. hotels when you order room service) the daily fee does include meals in all venues except specialty dining and rooms service.

-I read in a post from 2009 that video streaming sites are blocked on cruise ships. Does that include Youtube? Or is that video streaming thing out of date anyway (this is a problem sometimes when you get advice that is several years old!)? it can be. not all ships/lines have gone to high speed inter web. nor do you necessarily want to fork over the money to get it.

you can be as sociable or not as you want. if you really are socially inept/awkward then stick with buffet doing.

You see, I am a ship LOVER. Passenger ships and particularly ocean liners mostly. So I have always seen cruise ships in a slightly different light than I think most cruisers do.

My turn for question (if you don't mind): How do you 'see' cruise ships? What do you look for while onboard? Do you take the tours (bridge, galley, etc.)? I got to see the galley during a Chef's Table experience and it was amazing. Had no idea there was an escalator behind those scenes!

The cruise I've selected is the Carnival Imagination 3-day running to Ensenada out of Long Beach.

Should I be concerned?

There is a forum on Cruise Critic that is Carnival so you might want to have your concerns addressed in that forum where you'll get answers specific to Carnival.

My turn for question (if you don't mind): How do you 'see' cruise ships? What do you look for while onboard? Do you take the tours (bridge, galley, etc.)? I got to see the galley during a Chef's Table experience and it was amazing. Had no idea there was an escalator behind those scenes!

To me, cruise ships are kind of a living legacy to the transatlantic ocean liners I grew up loving. I'm very transportation oriented and still can't resist taking dozens of pictures of airplanes every time I go to the airport.

The closest I've come is an overnight ferry I did on the English Channel back in high school. As a modeler, I look at a thing like a cruise ship and the first thing I want to do is build it. My avatar is a picture of my 102-inch Queen Mary. Obviously, I aim to make the transatlantic QM2 cruise someday, but this trip is about scratching an urge I've had since long before I could afford it.

For me, the cruise is about walking the decks, taking pictures of the ship both functional and poetic, and getting to know this ship from the inside out. It will be like no other transportation experience I've had before. :)

I feel (correct me if I'm wrong) like for most people, the cruise is about seeing exotic locations, watching shows, meeting new people and playing games- NOT that there's anything wrong with that! I'm glad so many people do enjoy those things that keep the industry thriving!

Edited by greenseaships

To me, cruise ships are kind of a living legacy to the transatlantic ocean liners I grew up loving. I'm very transportation oriented and still can't resist taking dozens of pictures of airplanes every time I go to the airport.

The closest I've come is an overnight ferry I did on the English Channel back in high school. As a modeler, I look at a thing like a cruise ship and the first thing I want to do is build it. My avatar is a picture of my 102-inch Queen Mary. Obviously, I aim to make the transatlantic QM2 cruise someday, but this trip is about scratching an urge I've had since long before I could afford it.

For me, the cruise is about walking the decks, taking pictures of the ship both functional and poetic, and getting to know this ship from the inside out. It will be like no other transportation experience I've had before. :)

I feel (correct me if I'm wrong) like for most people, the cruise is about seeing exotic locations, watching shows, meeting new people and playing games- NOT that there's anything wrong with that! I'm glad so many people do enjoy those things that keep the industry thriving!

I thought your avatar WAS a ship -- wow!! That's impressive. You might be more of a builder than a modeler :-}

For me, cruising is about being on the water. Sure, I like some places better than others, but as long as I'm on the sea, it could be pretty much anywhere.

Hope you really enjoy your voyage and vehicle. Maybe do a review that gives the rest of us a whole new perspective!

There is a forum on Cruise Critic that is Carnival so you might want to have your concerns addressed in that forum where you'll get answers specific to Carnival.

I think, since greenseaships is a newbie, this was a fine place to begin. Most of us on CC don't limit ourselves to one line so the diversity can address that he's sailing Carnival AND sometimes knowing what occurs on other lines can help suggest ways to work with what's on the line you're sailing...just my opinion.

There are only two things you must do on the ship:

-Attend the muster drill

-Disembark the last day.

Lots of people stay on the ship in each port. We were once on a 36 day cruise with a woman who got off once. And that was in Dublin where she was born.

You might ask for assigned seating - if you will not be getting off the ship the fixed time should not be a problem. Also, having dinner with the same people each evening means that you only have to "meet" them once, rather than deal with a new group each meal. Even if you do not see yourself as "social", eating alone every meal can get lonesome.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm an introvert also. I have an upcoming cruise. I plan on skipping the dinners in the formal dining room and get buffet or room service. The same for lunch. In the mornings, I enjoy the breakfast/brunch served in the dining room. Depending on the time you arrive, you can ask for and may be given a single seating off in a corner or the end of a row of tables.

Contrary to most people, I actually like NOT meeting new people on the ship.

Edited by cruizergal70

For us the SHIP is a destination. As long as we are on the ship it doesn't matter where it is going.

We see our cruises as a way to get away from it all and relax. When we want to see places we take a land vacation.

Not on the cruise. It's a relaxation time with a book in hand or sitting on our balcony and just be on the water.

We've been known not getting off the ship at all on a 5-7 days cruise. Our dream is to take a long transatlantic cruise with sea days only. To each it's own.

We cruise the way it works for us. And loving every minute of it :)

Enjoy your cruise!

Edited by Aldeya

Anyway, back to the topic. The cruise I've selected is the Carnival Imagination 3-day running to Ensenada out of Long Beach.

I have spent some time browsing threads for newbies here (the "I wish I knew before" thread was a treasure trove!) But I'm still left with questions unique to my situation. If these have already been answered, please bear with me. That was a HUGE thread. :eek:

Should I be concerned?

I have taken both the Imagination and the Inspiration on the same cruise you are taking. The two ships are sister ships, but I only wrote a review for Inspiration. You can read my review by clicking on the link below ...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1916011

Concerning dinner. Call Carnival or you travel agent and ask to have anytime dining. That way you have more options of dining times and seating. If you have assigned dining, show up promptly for dinner the first night, be seated and expect a great table of people. Be sincere and friendly and you just may find yourself looking forward to dinner the next evening to enjoy another evening of fellowship with others who love to sail. At worst, you could enjoy a good meal and have the option not to return the following evening or ask for another table. We prefer assigned seating and have had some great times with people who are totally different than us and our normal circle of friends. We have made some wonderful friends who we stay in contact with and look forward to sailing with again. Give it a shot one time.

• 3 weeks later...

THANK YOU for all your advice and encouragement everyone! I'm sure it's going to be a great time. I leave for Long Beach in the wee hours tomorrow. I have completed check in, bought the bottomless bubbles package and I am ready to hit the road.

One more question though (I suppose off topic, sorry) do I purchase an internet package when I'm already aboard and in my room, or should I be doing that online tonight? I can't seem to find a Carnival webpage for purchasing internet packages for your cruise. :confused: