Pub lunch

blbailey

On an Alaska cruise on the Grand from San Francisco earlier this year, they had the pub lunch twice. It was in the Crown Grill. There were different menus each time, with the only common item both times being fish and chips.

There was a very long line when it opened the first time; I think the line the second time was a little shorter. DW had wanted to eat there, but we decided to eat in the MDR and not to fight the long line.

I believe the pub lunch is English - not Irish.

Thank you we are traveling on her soon and my DH wants to eat there again.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes, usually they do it two days. Keep an eye out for it in the Patter.

I understand the Shrimp and Chips are not available both days. So if you want to try it, keep an eye out for it,

The line is usually long at opening time.

The food is just as lousy as the food in England. So if you enjoy that you will love the pub lunch

That was quite unnecessary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The food is just as lousy as the food in England. So if you enjoy that you will love the pub lunch

My goodness, someone rattled your cage!

For your information, food is not lousy in England, some food is lousy I agree, but there are some wonderful restaurants if you do your homework and at least you don't have to eat burgers, pizza, macn'cheese, (what's that all about? Reminds us of bad school dinners!) or hot dogs plus fries fries fries day in day out. Many pubs here in the UK have raised the bar with their food offerings, and many cook with locally sourced ingredients, and fresh vegetables - not just the broccoli that many American restaurants seem only able to cook.

In fact, on board ship, we always order extra steamed vegetables to accompany our entree, but we appear to be in the minority.

There is a lot of lousy food in America, but it's wrong to say all food there is lousy. Just as its wrong to say food in the UK is lousy.

I would add that we did not enjoy the pub lunch on Princess and have only tried it once. We thought the fish was really poor and had too much greasy batter. But then we are not lovers of fish and chips when at home, unless it is from a really good source, and includes thrice fried chips (fries) not the usual frozen thin chips provided across the USA and onboard ship.

But for those who do enjoy the pub lunch I'm pleased you do like it.

Edited by ellie1145

I would add that we did not enjoy the pub lunch on Princess and have only tried it once. We thought the fish was really poor and had too much greasy batter. But then we are not lovers of fish and chips when at home, unless it is from a really good source, and includes thrice fried chips (fries) not the usual frozen thin chips provided across the USA and onboard ship.

I don't see what all the hype is about fried fish and some french fries. Maybe in the UK it's a totally type meal but when I've eaten it on the ship & can still taste the fish two hours later. :(

The best fish and chips I have ever had was at a small local restaurant in south west England. That was two decades ago. I have since been hoping to find a place that is just as good, but no luck. The fish and chips at the pub lunch on Grand in June was forgettable. I didn't even eat it all. Certainly not worth standing in line for. The best thing about that lunch was sitting with a young couple at a table of four. For the rest of the cruise we would always spend time together if we happened to run into each other on the ship or on shore. But the fish and chips? Not even close to worth it.

I agree Pub food in England can be hit & miss, especially in the tourist honeypots.

Food in tourist spots in any country can be hit and miss. For good food anywhere, you need to go where the locals go.

The fish has always been excellent when we go. We try and go at least once or twice on a cruise.

It's been mostly good when I've gone. I think it missed the mark just once, on the Grand last year.