only one ticket left!

matamanoa

I am looking to fly Air Canada to Sydney next Feb. 2018 and when I go to the AC site to check fares, they are showing only 1 ticket left in the Tango category for a flight that is still 11 months away. Can this be correct?

Barb:(

Certainly possible. Airlines only release a certain amount of seats in each fare category/booking class/fare bucket at a given time.

If you miss out and that goes then you'll be buying from the next bucket up with availability. There is a possibility that airlines may release more seats in the cheaper fare buckets at a later time but no guarantee.

I am looking to fly Air Canada to Sydney next Feb. 2018 and when I go to the AC site to check fares, they are showing only 1 ticket left in the Tango category for a flight that is still 11 months away. Can this be correct?

There are probably 100 tickets left for the flight you are looking at.

However, there is only 1 seat left at the pricepoint that you are looking at.

Will they open more seats at that pricepoint? maybe

Will they open seats at a lower pricepoint? maybe

Could you still buy 2 tickets at whatever pricepoint they currently have available? Most likely.

Of course, one could think that actually supplying us with the dates, flights, times and cities would mean a much more authoritative answer.

Nah, just saying "February" is enough.

GIGO

YYZ-SYD cruise leaves Feb 19, 13 day cruise. May want to route through SFO to see the grandkids.

YYZ-SYD cruise leaves Feb 19, 13 day cruise. May want to route through SFO to see the grandkids.

Thank you all for your replies. I guess we'll have to just keep watching the airline website.

Flyer talker - seriously?

Rugrats, we have grandkids just outside of San Fran too. We might consider that option.

We went to Sidney two years ago on Qantus in February. You must realize that February is in the height of cruise season and there were multiple ships in harbor every day. Heavy traffic, plus some of the cruise lines will reserve seats early, that may later be released, or not. Both PE and BC sold out on our flight, directly by Qantus, before Their partners sakes windows even opened. By the time AA started selling seats at 11 months out, only economy was left.

Friends, that booked the cruise a few months later, found nothing but expensive economy seats left. Prices that never went down, only up.

Yes.

I have access to tools that can check inventory buckets on specific flights and see just what the situation is. But when it's only a generalization presented, only a generalization can come back. Don't have the time, nor inclination, to research other posts to try to discern dates and more. I'll leave that to other people.

Further, the situation you describe might only be on a particular set of flights spit out by the airline computer system. I've often found that by taking a longer connect or a different routing, far better pricing can be booked. But can't do that for you based on the info provided.

Caveat emptor.

Thank you all for your replies. I guess we'll have to just keep watching the airline website.

Rugrats, we have grandkids just outside of San Fran too. We might consider that option.

As FTer said, yes, seriously.

Too many people come here with very vague questions. If you want any advice from the air travel family here (and FTer is certainly one of the most knowledgeable), you have to supply details.

Too many people expect answers when we do not know the actual question - some will not even spend the time to do a little research themselves and expect people here to do everything but supply the credit card to buy the tickets. So, if you want assistance or answers, you have to show that you have looked yourself and give explicit details. And, grow a thicker skin - you think it's tough here, try going to the flyertalker.com site. Reports of people eaten alive by packs of FlyerTalkers occur everyday. ;)

Perhaps we need a sticky: "How to ask for flight information and assistance". Give a checklist for people to follow for a RFI: to/from, dates, number of people, class of service, price range, nonstop or connections, what you have found to date...

Sometimes, it just get a little wearing on everyone to try to help with we do not have enough information...

Perhaps we need a sticky: "How to ask for flight information and assistance". Give a checklist for people to follow for a RFI: to/from, dates, number of people, class of service, price range, nonstop or connections, what you have found to date...

Sometimes, it just get a little wearing on everyone to try to help with we do not have enough information...

No one appears to read the ones at the top of the board now. How many times have you seen a thread started about Southwest schedules? Yet, there's a sticky where these discussions go.

No one appears to read the ones at the top of the board now. How many times have you seen a thread started about Southwest schedules? Yet, there's a sticky where these discussions go.

Well, WN does have a different clientele... ;)

The only think I would add is "Tango" is a collection of different fare buckets. So when it says only 1 ticket left, there is a good chance that is only one Tango fare at that specific price but there are other Tango fares available that are a few dollars more.

You also should take into account that if you are making a connection a given fare is make up of certain fair bucks being available in each of the connecting flights.

As FTer said, yes, seriously.

Too many people come here with very vague questions. If you want any advice from the air travel family here (and FTer is certainly one of the most knowledgeable), you have to supply details.

Too many people expect answers when we do not know the actual question - some will not even spend the time to do a little research themselves and expect people here to do everything but supply the credit card to buy the tickets. So, if you want assistance or answers, you have to show that you have looked yourself and give explicit details. And, grow a thicker skin - you think it's tough here, try going to the flyertalker.com site. Reports of people eaten alive by packs of FlyerTalkers occur everyday. ;)

Sure hope I'm not showing my ignorance, but I seriously didn't realize the "family" here had access to detailed information on flight questions. Really great to know! Thank you

I was on a WestJet site and wanted to purchase two tickets for the flight from Ottawa to Fort Lauderdale. It said only 1 ticket left at $158 and the price for the second ticket was going to be $218. I only bought the one ticket and the very next day I checked and again there was one ticket left and I bought it.

You might try to do the same. :)

I was on a WestJet site and wanted to purchase two tickets for the flight from Ottawa to Fort Lauderdale. It said only 1 ticket left at $158 and the price for the second ticket was going to be $218. I only bought the one ticket and the very next day I checked and again there was one ticket left and I bought it.

You might try to do the same. :)

And know that systems do not automatically "refill" with one ticket when the last single one is bought. I'm glad that worked out in your case. At some point, the yield management algorithms said that inventory in the "??" bucket should be adjusted and some number of seats were added. (Perhaps they added the one you bought, or maybe X number and they had already then sold X-1). It could just as easily have added none, and possibly even removed seats from the next higher bucket. Inventory numbers in the various fare buckets is rarely constant, except for full-fare coach, business and first which are "last seat".